What's new

Why is My Hijab Your Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I choose to wear a hijab, will you let me? – The Express Tribune Blog
If feminism did one thing right for women it was to provide us with an abundance of choices. Something the fair gender hadn’t really experienced before. Whether it was the choice to wear pants and throw away those constricting corsets, or the choice to go out and vote and make a difference in the world. We could drive, abort or use contraceptives.

These are the same choices that helped women like you and me get PhDs, work in male-dominated industries and hold top level positions and get equal pay. We could literally be men if we wanted to be!

But if liberties and choices for women were what feminists were fighting for then why are they the first ones to judge, reprimand and rage against the women who choose to don a hijab?

Feminists preach that women must be judged by their mental capabilities and talents and not by their sexuality and physicality. So why do they look down upon a woman who is daring to put that theory into action? In a world that demonises, demoralises and demotes women to mere sexual objects, isn’t wearing a hijab the greatest form of rebellion?

Mind you it is not the educated ones who are in front to object...Seriously, look at any protesting pcitures, You will not see more than 1-2 PhD women in them! Because after a PhD they do not need that...even after a Masters they do not need that..The only ones protesting are those who have either been forced to wear, who do not understand it's meaning and TERM it as oppression while they run after latest fashions and become it's slave and THINK that those in Hijab are being a similar slave.

They call hijabis ‘oppressed’, but aren’t the people judging and mocking her choice the real oppressors?

Yes they are!! But they do not see it...No one sees their OWN faults!

In the same way, women who choose to not wear the hijab are shown the same narrow-mindedness and pettiness when they don’t wear a hijab in a Muslim country like Saudia Arabia or Iran. They are oppressed in the same way with exclusion, torture and even death for that one choice they make.

Well, sort of but not similar manner they are not selling their bodies over their minds but YES if they have been forced into the hijab or being told to cover without telling its significant!

But aren’t both women only exercising their choices?

Wasn’t the point of the feminist struggle and the resulting empowerment a way to help women exercise their choices? To not be judged?

So in light of Hijab Day, which was September 4 let’s do one small thing from now on. When you see a woman passing by covered from head to toe, show her some compassion and let her exercise that choice. At the same time, when you see a woman wearing something you’d consider skimpy, don’t roll your judgmental eyes at her for she is also only exercising a choice.

Because the point of it all was to not let anyone squander away our choices.

I never say anything to non-hijabis! Nor do I overly praise Hijabi!..The Hijab is just a woman's choice to either follow what HE says or not..It is purely her choice...something given to her so that she will not complain if a punishment comes with her actions...

She has full right to choose if she should be rewarded or punished!

BUT do not pass judgement on a woman by just the hijab...Hijab is an order, but so is speaking the truth, guarding your tongue from slandering someone, so is guarding from back biting and many other things!

How people screw these other things is the same way how they mess up the Hijab concept!

Muslims are always looking to Quran to decide what to wear, what to eat, how to give justice, how to live their life.

Hindus dont look to Bhagwad Geeta, or Vedas or Puranas to decide what to wear and what to eat or how to give justice. Similarly neither do Christians or Sikhs.

For religions other then Muslims, the religious texts are philosophy guides to help them guide their moral and ethical conduct. They dont look upto their religious books to seek answers on;

what to wear, what to eat, what justice to give for a crime, who is hindu/christian/sikh and who is not, who is a true hindu/christian/sikh, whether entertainemnt is allowed by Geeta/Bible. whether a girl should wear slawar kamez or jeans.

Why do muslims seek answers to above questions in Quran? Is that the purpose of Quran to decide every SINGLE step in the life of a Muslim? !!

Why Muslims are incapable to DIFFERENTIATE b/w Religious Text which is only for purpose of understanding philosophy and social life which should be guided by ones own choice and NOT Quran!!

I only find Muslims looking upto Quran and trying to find answers for each and every thing in it. I believe this is the ONLY main reason for their problems everywhere.

You ask why muslim girls cant wear jeans/Skirts - answer given is Quran says so! and then their is debate b/w different people (Muslims themselves also as can be seen in 31 pages on this forum) whether Quran says such a thing or not and attempts are made at right interpretation of Quran. But my question is why at the first place at all ask Quran for answer to such a thing!! May I know what does Bible, Geeta, Gurbani says about girls wearing Jeans/skirts?

For me the very attempt at seeking answer from Quran about what a girl should wear is ILLEGITIMATE.

If anyone can answer the question in blue I would be hugely thankful, as I myself have never looked or had thoughts even once in my life so far of looking up to my Religious Books for answer to the question of what should I wear or eat or do. For me my life decisions are my OWN and my religious Texts are there only to guide my soul and make me a better human person. But NEVER did I decide my life's action based on a religious text nor did I look for answers in it for deciding my life's action.

ALLL THAT and more is the difference when we say Islam is our Deen NOT JUST a code of law but also our code of life!

And what men do mostly defy every single word of any scripture to which ever religion they belong to.Its the men who have all the vices.

-Its the men who eve tease,molest,rapes
-its the men who drink alcohol despite being forbidden by religion
-its the men who abuse ,kill, maim people

etc
etc
etc

And its the men who are discussing the topic totally concerning to women

For once y not men open thread for morality prescribed for men in scriptures.No they wont do it.But they will flock into and poke their nose into every issues concerning women.

I Agree to that!

Every bit as much as wearing a sheet and drinking goat-milk is.

According to scientific research goat's milk is very healthy and good for human skin!

I'm tired of repeating the same thing again, so hope all the ignoramus are listening. Hijab is not a face covering, Google it if you don't believe me, you don't loose your identity, you just become a women who wears a head scarf.

Hahahaha...really? Sorry just started reading some pages back...

Are people actually protesting based on the word HIJAB rather than knowing what it is?

THAT is soo typical...Just like people get frightened by the word Taliban which just means Student! Or the word Salam which just means peace!

so you mean to say that all Hindus, All Christians, All Sikhs are ignoring the Geeta. Bible and Guru Granth Sahib.

So now all Hindus are non Hindus, All Christains are Non Christains and All Sikhs are Non Sikhs.

I meant Guru Granth Sahib.

Ok but still Hindus/ Sihks/ Christains dont look for answers on how to life their life in the religious books. They decide on their own will what to wear, eat or do.

Why only Muslims have to look to the religious book for answers on how to decide their life's actions?

Because it is our choice! :P

Plus we believe our creator knows us better than us.
We believe Islam is our way of life not just a religion...we call it DEEN which is a way of life!
We believe it is the right way
We believe it is the way meant for us
We believe alot of things different than just reading the holy book once in awhile or searching through it ONLY when hell befalls us...We search through it all the time to lead our lives SO THAT HELL DOESN'T fall on us!

so you mean it is right to look upto a religious book and then seek answers to all your life decisions in it? Will you agree that it is some kind of a restriction on the free will of a person?

I myself never let my free will be made subjugate to a religious book or a religious preacher who enters my home and tells me as a true hindu/christian/sikh you need to do this and that. I will throw him out of my home.

I do what I decide to do and I am still a devout Hindu/Christian/Sikh. I may or may not be a good person though.

Good for you..We never said you are similar to us!

La kum deenu kum walee yadien!

Pak women should protest against Hijab and stop wearing it.....it causes suffocation and may prove fatal.....Shame on Pak islamic fanatics who are mostly men

The only means of suffocation are people like you lot who come up with ridiculous points!

Hahahaha...really? Sorry just started reading some pages back...

Are people actually protesting based on the word HIJAB rather than knowing what it is?

THAT is soo typical...Just like people get frightened by the word Taliban which just means Student! Or the word Salam which just means peace!

Yep, read a few post down, another ignoramus makes the same mistake again after my explanation.:taz:

Some people are here to troll alone, not learn.

how about a head scarf with a jeans or backless dress or a skirt to go along with it. Is that what you are promoting? only head scarf?

read the MEANING OF HIAJAB

you said Hindus. Christians are ignoring Geeta, Bible so they must be Non Hindus and Non Christians right. I dont see any contradiction here but that is precisely thr dilemma and problem facing muslims - wear this, do this eat that or else you are not a Muslim.

It's not a problem. It is ONLY a problem for those who do not understand it at all or simply wants to be like you! Be impressed you got imitators!

All attempts are made to look to Quran for answer to EVERY single question on how to live your life. Whereas other religions people dont do this and are still Hindus and Christians and Sikhs for them and they dont see any contradictions.
Now, if they do not that should be our problem so that you can raise the issue we have problems wih everyone's way of living?

(but now you might declare hindus and christians and sikhs as non hindus and non christians and non sikhs for not following Geeta/Bible/Guru Granth Sahib)

THAT has nothing to do with us! You are what you want to be! 1st YOU are under a dilemma why we are not forcing you than you want to raise a voice against us ASKING/ REQUESTING/ PROTESTING doing something in our OWN RELIGION?

if you want to learn ok...but otherwise...please sort out your dilemma first!

why Muslims cant decide their life actions on their own.

Then we will be like you! Please! Not everyone wants to be you ;)

Why seek answer to EVERY question like what to wear,what to do, what to eat, where to go, what to see, whether to sing and dance, what punishment to give to thief etc etc in Quran? Decide yourself what you want to wear or do in life like I and other religion people do?

Because THAT IS OUR CHOICE!

you are wrong... that is why so many muslims are attacked and declared as non muslims.

My actions in life have nothing to do with my religion. My religion only acts as a guide for being a better human being. Nothing more.

I can dress, listen music, party and do anything of my own free will as I wish. I don't look at a religious book to ask the question whether i can do this or not.

Good for you!! We can too...Our advantage is we DO CHOOSE NOT TO! Meaning we fight our lust, our will power to steer away from all that ease!

If you want to understand do go on with this I have patience to explain but not much time....BUT if you just want to mock...

LA KUM DEE NU KUM WALI YADEEN

An Ayat from the Quran which says when you are done you say:

"To you is your religion and to me is mine"

Yea, Pity isn't it...It doesn't say kill/ blow or choke the person with your preaching...just says

And let us not forget...it's not all about security. Just as many consider the hijab to be protected as part of their culture...so western Europeans protect their culture...of NOT having the Hijab.

Well, which culture are you referring to?

The Barbarian/ cavemen culture? Where clothes was scarce and well, we didn't call them uncivilized for no reasons!

The roman culture where the Slaves were not clothed and those who were punished were flogged?

The shepherding/ farming culture? Where you were dressed decently

The Victorian culture? Where everyone was dressed till the necks (choking)

The modern cultureì which hit right in between the cavemen and Roman cultures!

Plus the trump card of western europe and USA on the basis of which the attack and Bully the rest of the world is "Freedom"..
Banning peoples dress is no freedom...

Totally Agreed!

Really? Philosophy? Music? architecture ? Systems of governance?

I dont think nations as old as England, France, Germany can have no culture.

Philosophy is as old as man...Can't say its European...Maybe African!

Music? Also Africa has an older history in that field

Architecture? Don't the Pyramids speak for themselves? Islamic architecture is still awed at! India is also rich in that! Very little from Europe...

System of governance? Really? From Europe? Where kings killed each other? Where cousins fought over the throne...Where everyone was corrupt - well known about ancient Rome!

Now about Hindus, They also had Hijab.

It is mentioned in the Rig Veda Book no. 8 Hymn no. 33 V. no. 19

“When Brahma has made you a woman, you should lower your gaze and should not look up. You should put your feet together and you should not reveal what the garment and the veil conceals.”

So the Rig Veda says that the woman should wear the veil.

It is further mentioned in Rig Veda Book no. 10 Hymn no. 85 V. no.30

It is further mentioned in the Mahavir Charitra Act 2 Page 71 that
When Purshuram comes, Rama tells his wife Sita that “He is our elder, please lower your gaze, and put on the veil. “

Rama tells his wife Sita to put on the veil and to lower her gaze.

If you read historical books, the books talking about the Coin Age, the Age of the Gupta and the post Gupta age, there are coins , on which there are pictures of the Indain woman wearing the veils and the veil are going upto their shoulders, some go upto the arms. There are many Indian woman in the villages who wear the veils, some of the woman even cover their faces.

So,if you analyze, even the Hindu Scriptures say that a woman should wear the veil. That the woman should lower their gaze.

Codswallop ! This is Zakir Naik nonsense & quite simply his own translation of the Rg Veda. Laughable attempt. The funny thing is that even if such stuff was written thousands of years ago, it would make no difference to how Hindus view the world today. That is the part that those quoting this nonsense as some sort of backing up of their own practice simply don't get. No body cares except for you lot as to what was written all those years ago, certainly no one is going to rush to behave like the people did then. Just like that generation evolved their own codes, so to do most people now. Only those stuck in the past have a problem, not the rest.

Fair enough...
Say a mass immigration starts...All western companies will be kicked out of Muslim lands,their main countries of earning.. and you will go poor..

and unlike you..we dont force integration....

I like goat cheese :P
Lol, me too (Feta IS goat cheese, right?)

(Covering of women is also a part of Hindu culture)

hmm no it was NOT...most certainly not in black ninja costume.

Codswallop ! This is Zakir Naik nonsense & quite simply his own translation of the Rg Veda. .

Hmm..2 points to me. I could smell Zakir Naik trash right away.

Good for you!! We can too...Our advantage is we DO CHOOSE NOT TO! Meaning we fight our lust, our will power to steer away from all that ease!

If you want to understand do go on with this I have patience to explain but not much time....BUT if you just want to mock...

An Ayat from the Quran which says when you are done you say:

"To you is your religion and to me is mine"

Yea, Pity isn't it...It doesn't say kill/ blow or choke the person with your preaching...just says

Well, which culture are you referring to?

The Barbarian/ cavemen culture? Where clothes was scarce and well, we didn't call them uncivilized for no reasons!

The roman culture where the Slaves were not clothed and those who were punished were flogged?

The shepherding/ farming culture? Where you were dressed decently

The Victorian culture? Where everyone was dressed till the necks (choking)

The modern cultureì which hit right in between the cavemen and Roman cultures!

Totally Agreed!

Architecture? Don't the Pyramids speak for themselves? Islamic architecture is still awed at! India is also rich in that! Very little from Europe...

System of governance? Really? From Europe? Where kings killed each other? Where cousins fought over the throne...Where everyone was corrupt - well known about ancient Rome!
Durr young lady...no one is saying those besides Europe don't have culture....the arguement being answered is does Europe? Yes...who copies the pyramids besides Las Vegas?

I was referring more to specifics, René Descartes et al. In philosphy. Handel etc, In music. French impressionism in painting. Etc, etc. You get the idea. They produced their own unique contributions in those areas. Western Europe agruably has had the most cultural impact on the other European nations.

Durr young lady...no one is saying those besides Europe don't have culture....the arguement being answered is does Europe? Yes...who copies the pyramids besides Las Vegas?

I was answering this bit:

so western Europeans protect their culture

Which culture is that?

Lol, me too (Feta IS goat cheese, right?)

Yup feta cheese though I also like the salty Halloumi (grilled) which is from milk of Ewe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom