What's new

Why Is Indian Food So Popular All Over The World?

Well dude there is a huge south Asian population in the western world, so a large chunk of desi restaurants' customer base are south asians. And of course you have your occasional blond bobleheads wanting to try different food for a change. But for most desi food, as tasty as it is, does have a bad rep.

Its not the food, its the people who have bad rep. South Asian food was never meant to be cooked in tiny kitchens inside 2 bedroom apartments. The smell of the food gets into your clothes and that mixed with BO is very unpleasant. Thats why in old houses and mansions back in India, kitchens were always housed in a separate building.

I have seen Indian restaurants in country side towns in Australia, with no South Asian population doing very brisk business.

Indian Food is Popular? Really?
Or does it has something to do with the fact that Indians are in all the corners of the world?

I remember having the Biryani in India with the mix of Curry and Yogurt (More yogurt for me). I still remember the taste of the slightly sour yogurt and beef Biryani really unforgettable. Good stuff.

The Chinese usually like to have our dishes separated into many portions and not mix it which is almost opposite of South India style serving. Most the of the restaurants we went had waiters to serve out portions on our plates regardless of what it might be and our main plates usually ends with a mis-mash of various dishes mixed in one.

A funny thing happen when my China colleague dining with us at the time made the waiter portion out the dishes in split sections of his plate ending up with a dry rice middle and many different portions around the plate (took alot of co-ordination on his part). Finally the last waiter came with the green curry chicken and seeing no place on his plate to put the portion promptly dumped the curry on top of his rice. That was good laugh if you were there

I remember having the Biryani in India with the mix of Curry and Yogurt (More yogurt for me). I still remember the taste of the slightly sour yogurt and beef Biryani really unforgettable. Good stuff.

You were in Hyderabad right? That place is famous for its biryani and haleem.

The Chinese usually like to have our dishes separated into many portions and not mix it which is almost opposite of South India style serving. Most the of the restaurants we went had waiters to serve out portions on our plates regardless of what it might be and our main plates usually ends with a mis-mash of various dishes mixed in one.

Thats quite odd, cause South Indians too have their dishes in separate portions. Probably a restaurant specific thing.

1048_1079_1086_1073_1088_1072_1078_1077_1085_1080_1077_957.jpg

3569510945_b3d9fe1271.jpg

513385857_1fec4a47fc.jpg

gallery_1_3_50678.jpg

Thats South, North, East and West Indian food.:lol:

There is no such thing as ''non veg'' ''Indian'' food :D

while indian food along with pakistani food is one of the best i found but there is a misconception that indian food mean= veg thats wrong infact i myself have had the many amounts of beef that too halal beef in india for tons of time spacialy calcutta from nizam's beef bihari kabab roll,to beef bin aloo, beef tikia (shammi kabab) beef nehari,beef paya johnson & johnsons beef fried rice/beef chopsoi,darjeeling beef momo, mircha beef, beef boti kabab,beef tikka, chukander ghost (beet curry made with beef) my famly is from calcutta & 5 out 7 days we eat beef my famly is known for hunter beef roast addiction is you also have wide variety of steaks the beef with onion steak, pepper steak peter cats is a famous rest known for steaks then you have daal beef, beef tadoori

kerela fry beef south indian
http://recipes.malayali.me/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/img_7934-400x299.jpg

http://recipes.malayali.me/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/img_7934-400x299.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...5Rs/s1600/Indian-Beef-Liver-Masala-Recipe.jpg

Nadan Beef Curry
Nadan Beef Curry Recipe, Video, Indian Kerala Kannada Karnataka Recipes, khana pakana, khana khazana, healthy Recipes, tamil simple, andhra easy Recipes,Food Recipes, hyderabad recipe India south indian recipes,vahrehvah, youtube, khana How to make N

http://www.jeenaskitchen.com/beef-curry-recipe/beef-curry-recipe-37.jpg

Pakistan Times! » Kolkata.. Rich Food Heritage

http://www.pak-times.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/kashna-mangsho.jpg

http://chaatstreet.files.wordpress....bigoven.com/recipe/172754/coconut-beef-madras

Great Friends: FAVORITE DISHES - Zorpia - A World of Friends

the pride of all indian beef foods the famous calcutta's beef bihari kabab

http://images.outlookindia.com/images/articles/outlookindia/2009/9/14/nizam_kathi_kabab_20090914.jpg

Street foods like rolls (mutton roll, egg roll, chicken roll, and sometimes in the Park Circus region - beef roll)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolkata_culture

well you see maharashtra/gujrat is not the entire india infact its too small when compared to south india & east india bengol & bihar parts of u.p,northeast india,& some parts of panjab & north india :cheers:

You were in Hyderabad right? That place is famous for its biryani and haleem.

Thats quite odd, cause South Indians too have their dishes in separate portions. Probably a restaurant specific thing.

Thats South, North, East and West Indian food.:lol:

Yep Hyderabad, actually most of the restaurants we went to did the same thing. Then again we usually ate in large groups so it meant that 5 - 6 dishes were served almost one after another.

I remember one of the restaurant on the top floor with a Jungle theme, I thinks its called Serengatti. Very popular with the locals and tourist/expats alike though their food was too rich as compared to a normal fare.

I think its mainly Northern India food that is popular all over the world.

To be precise, Harayana and Punjab food that is increasing India reputation in food world wide.

Don't you think you need to add uttar pradesh here.?

Zamin Doz Macchli (fish stuffed with spices and sealed in earthenwre case which is then cooked for 8 hours)
Murg Mussallam (whole chicken with variety of spices)
Lukhnawi Biryani (slightly fried Rice preparation with mutton)
Dum (Fried whole okra stuffed with spiced potato filling)
Gobhi Mussallam
Sultani Dal
Rizala
Shami Kabab (includes tangy green mango)
Palak Paneer
Kakori Kabab (similar to Seekh Kabab)
Pasanda Kabab (skewered boneless mutton)
Pasanda Paneer (similar to Paneer Makhani or butter paneer(Indian cheese))
Samosa
Shab Deg (a winter dish, turnips and mutton balls with saffron)
Paneer Pakora & of various vegetables
Kofta
Tehri (vegetarian rice dish with spices and mixed vegetables that popular amongst Hindus)
Korma
Kachori
Pakora
Raita
Nihari
Shorba (soup)
Gujia (like a samosa though filled with sweetened thickened milk (khoya))
Gulab Jamun
Kheer
Qulfi
Halwa (sweet pudding)
Sheer Qorma
Ghewar
Imarti
Petha
Gurahl Sharbat (hibiscus)
Lemon Sharbat
Rose Sharbat
Khas ka Sharbat
Other drinks include:
Lassi
Rayta
Ruh-Afza (rose water beverage)
Tandoori Naan, or naan baked in a tandoor, tandoori roti, kulcha, taftan, sheermal, millet (millet flour flatbread), and lachha paratha.

Kundan Kaliya :

Kundan Kaliya is a non vegetarian dish. The dish is a mutton preparation with gravy along with the compulsory inclusion of turmeric or saffron. The dish is commonly served at both the times lunch and dinner.

Shami Kabab :

Shami Kabab, an important constituent of the "Tora" (presentation of food). The Shami Kabab are made from mince meat, the kababs are round patties filled with spicy surprises and the tangy `kairi' or raw green mango.

Kakori Kabab :

The seekh kabab, was introduced by Mughals and is originally prepared from beef mince on skewers and cooked on charcoal fire. And the Seekh Kababs of Kakori became famous by word of mouth and even today, though cooked elsewhere, are known as `Kakori Kababs'.

Gulnaar Kabab :

The Gulnaar Kabab is a delight for a foodie person. The preparation of the dish inclides blending of tomatoes with spices and chicken, with a garnish of red rose petals.

Nargisi Kofta :

The Nargisi Kofta is essentially a hard boiled egg, wrapped in mince and deep fried, when halved lengthwise it resembles the eye.

Patili Kabab :

The Patili Kabab is prepared in a deep copper or brass vessel. Theis Kabab is prepared by Begam of Kurki as she is famous for making them and maintaining the standard.

Lucknowi Biryani :

Lucknowi biryani is a dish in which rice is lightly fried before being cooked in the mutton stock and the method of cooking the Biryani is the `Dum Pukht' method which imparts a typical Awadh flavour to this rice preparation.

Zarda :

Zarda is the preparation of sweet rice, which is done to celebrate the spring season.

Roomali Roti :

Roomali Roti is the suggestive name for the scarf or handkerchief like appearance of roti. The Roomali Roti is too smooth to eat and so it is a perfect companion with kababs and kormas.

Sheermal :

Sheermal is rich bread consisting mainly of flour, milk, fat and saffron.

Kulcha :

Kulcha is soft bread and it tastes good with curries.

Murg Mussallam :

The `Murg Mussallam' literally, means whole chicken. The preparation of Murg Mussallam requires a good command over the blending of spices and knowledge of heat control.

Pasanda Kababs :

The Pasanda Kabab is a mouth watering preparation. The pasanda is a two inch square boneless cut flattened out by beating with the blunt side of knife.

Shab Deg :

Shab Deg is a kashmiri dish which was prepared in winters.

Zamin Doz :

Zamin Doz is an old recipe for cooking fish. In this a whole fish is stuffed with spices and is sealed in an earthenware case. This case is buried in the ground.
etc. etc. etc.

Just out of curiosity, do Indians eat pork? I've seen Indian dishes with beef but never seen one with pork in my life.

Just out of curiosity, do Indians eat pork? I've seen Indian dishes with beef but never seen one with pork in my life.

I dont know about rest of India, but we in Kerala eat pork. It is one of the tastiest food items...i am looking forward to it next month, when i go home!!

Pork is not mainstream. You will not find many good butchers or restaurants offering quality pork. In cities you can get quality frozen pork. You just have to look for it if you want it. Yes many Indians including me eat pork.

I dont know about rest of India, but we in Kerala eat pork. It is one of the tastiest food items...i am looking forward to it next month, when i go home!!

Pork is not mainstream. You will not find many good butchers or restaurants offering quality pork. In cities you can get quality frozen pork. You just have to look for it if you want it. Yes many Indians including me eat pork.

Thank guys, very surprising to be honest. Eaten in many Indian restaurants and Indian house yet never seen a pork dish.

Tastiest food? I've never eaten pork before so wouldn't know how it taste :lol:

Back
Top Bottom