What's new

Why Is Indian Food So Popular All Over The World?

Much much less veg people I think :) ...aside from just 2 states --Gujrat , Rajasthan --all other states are predominantly non-veg .

Add South States like Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh. M.P., Mahrashtra also has large no. vegetarian people -- Overall It's 50-50......or may be 40:60 (Veg: Non-Veg) (But It's not for any specific region).

Add South States like Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh. M.P., Mahrashtra also has large no. vegetarian people -- Overall It's 50-50......or may be 40:60 (Veg: Non-Veg) (But It's not for any specific region).

South Indian states like Kerala is well known for Beef & Pork delicacies . Living in Karnataka I must say , Chicken , Mutton , even Pork is very commonly eaten . Most of the Andra guys are about the same , and of course Hyderabad is quite famous for non-veg.

You may be right about M.P , dont know about Maharashtra .

However the entire eastern and north eastern belt, U.P , Bihar , Punjab , NCR , Kashmir have huge numbers of meat eaters .

LISTEN TO THE WORDS OF THE FAMOUS YOUTUBE VAHCHEF.....I PRESENT TO YOU KHAN BIRYANI

Last edited by a moderator:
South Indian states like Kerala is well known for Beef & Pork delicacies . Living in Karnataka I must say , Chicken , Mutton , even Pork is very commonly eaten . Most of the Andra guys are about the same , and of course Hyderabad is quite famous for non-veg.

You may be right about M.P , dont know about Maharashtra .

However the entire eastern and north eastern belt, U.P , Bihar , Punjab , NCR , Kashmir have huge numbers of meat eaters .

In India, Everywhere there are Vegetation people also and Non-Vegetarian also. :tup:

I was just wondering.....excluding Muslims, what percentage of Indians are vegetarians?

Well, if you count non-vegetarians as those who "can eat" or "have eaten" or "dont mind eating" non-veg, then i can bet more than 70% non-muslims would fall in non-veg eating category, However, for majority of indians, including Indian muslims, the main daily diet is predominantly vegetarian.

We eat non-veg when we go out, on weekends & with alcohol. Those who take alcohol & are vegetarian usually encounter remarks like "abe, saale piita bhi kyo he? " (why the hell you drink when you dont eat non-veg).

I am Both Vegetarian and Non-Vegetarian . Depends on Day and Location. :P

Well, if you count non-vegetarians as those who "can eat" or "have eaten" or "dont mind eating" non-veg, then i can bet more than 70% non-muslims would fall in non-veg eating category, However, for majority of indians, including Indian muslims, the main daily diet is predominantly vegetarian.

We eat non-veg when we go out, on weekends & with alcohol. Those who take alcohol & are vegetarian usually encounter remarks like "abe, saale piita bhi kyo he? " (why the hell you drink when you dont eat non-veg).

Agree with you, Non-Veg is occasional food for Indian non Muslims... We eat nonveg once in a month, some time twice or thrice in a month... Its highly improbable that we can eat twice or thrice in a week... If I do so, I get stomach problem...

Majority of India is vegetarian , (If you include occasional meat eaters.. )

In India, vegetarianism is usually synonymous with lacto vegetarianism. Most restaurants in India clearly distinguish and market themselves as being either "Non-Vegetarian", "Vegetarian", or "Pure Vegetarian" (lacto vegetarian). Vegetarian restaurants abound, usually, many vegetarian (Shakahari: plant-eater, in Sanskrit) options are available. Animal based ingredients (other than milk and honey) such as lard, gelatin, and meat stock are not used in the traditional cuisine.

According to the 2006 Hindu-CNN-IBN State of the Nation Survey, 31% of Indians are vegetarians, while another 9% consumes eggs. Among the various communities, vegetarianism was most common among Jains, Brahmins at 55%, and less frequent among Muslims (3%) and residents of coastal states respectively. Other surveys cited by FAO and USDA estimate 20%–42% of the Indian population as being vegetarian. These surveys indicate that even Indians who do eat meat, do so infrequently, with less than 30% consuming it regularly, although the reasons are partially economical.

India has devised a system of marking edible products made from only vegetarian ingredients, with a green dot in a green square. A mark of a brown dot in a brown square conveys that some animal-based ingredients were used.

Recent growth in India's organized retail has also been hit by some controversy, because some vegetarians are demanding meatless supermarkets

Vegetarianism by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 2002 poll of American adults found the following reasons for choosing a vegetarian lifestyle:

Most important reason for becoming a vegetarian

Health -- 32%
Because of chemicals and hormones in meat products -- 15%
Don't like the taste of meat -- 13%
Love of animals -- 11%
Animal rights -- 10%
Religious reasons -- 6%
Concern for the planet -- 4%
To lose weight -- 3%
To reduce hunger and famine worldwide -- 1%

Vegetarianism by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A 2002 poll of American adults found the following reasons for choosing a vegetarian lifestyle:

Most important reason for becoming a vegetarian

Health -- 32%
Because of chemicals and hormones in meat products -- 15%
Don't like the taste of meat -- 13%
Love of animals -- 11%
Animal rights -- 10%
Religious reasons -- 6%
Concern for the planet -- 4%To lose weight -- 3%
To reduce hunger and famine worldwide -- 1%

what liars!!! these 5% americans :woot:

Back
Top Bottom