What's new

Why is Bollywood dominated by Khatris?

Your verbal gymnastics has ended up sounding quite rapey. "No" means "yes", "i know you want it"..
WTF are you on about?!
I'm sure there's a better way to put that thought together.

Also, just to be clear, no homo!
And no mean no, and yes means yes.

So basically you are saying "yes" to my proposal for making india a part of Pakistan so you can reap the benefits I mentioned before?

An era of prosperity and tranquility. You will live side by side untouchables without hate and discrimination.

Last edited:
How so? Please refute me, and what does this have to do with history?

Firstly to answer your question you need to understand what Punjab is. Punjabi is not a ethnicity it is a linguistic identity which has come into existence recently and most strongly after partition in some parts of Pakistani Punjab after provincial nationalism and with sikhs in India. No one homogeneous ethnicity lives in Punjab. Minawali area is mostly Pashtun tribes which now speak Seraiki and Hindko. South Punjab has many Baloch tribes and Potohar ethnicities are different than ethnicity that live in around lahore etc. and no single region by itself is composed of a single ethnicity. As a result you will see alot of different faces and accents in these areas. You can not define how a punjabi looks because there is no single look.

Punjab (a comparatively modern name given to this region) is the opening of Indus-Gangetic plain(the most fertile in the world) to the resource poor central asia and pathway to the throne in Delhi and therefore this region has seen massive immigration and conquests throughout history(the reason for multitude of ethnicity). The Punjabi culture you are talking about firstly is not the culture of whole of the area that is today called Punjab. Bhangra, basant (and the associated kite flying is mostly done in eastern Punjab, Delhi area and Lahore area) is not the culture of Punjab but the culture of the majha region of Punjab and regions to it's east due to Sikh populations. So don't try to impose your majhi Punjabi chauvinism on the Seraiki, Pothwari, hindko and other regions of modern day Punjab.

Secondly, if you think that Nusrat Fateh ali khan etc., classical music, qawali, musical instruments which are common all over Northern subcontinent are of a Punjabi tradition then you are wrong. They are all mostly the product of Indo-Islamic civilization and not some hyped up Punjabism. Also, most of the elaborate meat dishes from Paye to pualo are the creation of indo-Islamic civilization and were mostly historically limited lahore. Even the ones which are localized foods are hard to distinguish from nearby regions because they belong to the same indus-gangetic food traditions and geographical realities.

Thirdly, you mention that what is known as 'Indian culture' world over is Punjabi culture. Don't know what you mean by that and if you think a few artists singing in Punjabi in UK (which is due to large immigration from Punjab region to UK) then you are wrong again. Open your eyes ans see what people in the west consider 'Indian culture' and try to figure out it's origins.

Ignorant people like you are the curse of Pakistan and are adamant on not making Pakistan the country for which muslims of subcontinent struggled for decades i.e. Quaid e azam's Pakistan but are intent on making it the Pakistan Maulana Abul Kalam azad predicted it to be

Bruhh mere pegg lage hoye but its pretty simple. Khatris migrated to cities where they could have had the best oppoortunities after partition. Khatris were going to dominate the lahore film scene when it was gonna happen, if it wasn't for the partition. The partition did happen, hence khatris migrated to places where they could have maximized their caste interests, which at that time was their investments in the movie industry, hence they shifted to bombay. This is true not only of the khatris of punjab, but khatris of haryana, sindh who were punjabi only.

Khatris, at that time, had transformed themselves into the baniya type professional castes. I hope it ain't any type of new knowledge for any of our comrades here.

nepotism simple. South asians are full of ego, dominating others and selfish. Once they get power and money.
You cant find any honest sector in these societies such as the movie industry. which is recycled songs, love story,prince charming etc. The actor will be chitta mass wala and the girl and the dark skin in the background.

That why i rarely support sports, movies, politicians etc.

Bollywood is sh.t don't like it now it's full of filth. Before it was family oriented and had good films like DDLJ, HAHK, KKHT, KKKG. Plus, no more Indian bong beauties like Rnee Mukerjee, Kajol Sushmita. Had a crush on Ranee Mukerjee for long time early 00s, Mahima Chowdhry!

1947. bollywood is dominated by Punbaji khatris because khatris are the one who migrated to mumbai after 1847 in large numbers. their fair skin and long faces also helped them.

while west gujaratis who migrated to mumbai due to lack of jobs became some of the biggest directors in bollywood,its good business....
Isn't that what Kapoor, Khanna, Deol etc people are called??

deol is a jatt surname is i am not wrong.

and no offense, I think the rest of India; except for maybe parts of South India lacks unique culture.

have you ever heard of Gujarat, Rajasthan,Bengal,Maharashtra ?

Khatris are exclusive to Punjab only.
not actually. you can find khatris all over north india, from punjab/haryana to up and rajasthan and gujarat. my own cousin in married to a Khatri.

we have other community of khatri,Brahma khatri who have their kul devi hingraj mata in Balochistan.

Good number of them are Khatri, being associated with trading and business. In places like Chiniot and elsewhere, they use both the title of Sheikh as well as their Khatri clan name like Sethi, Vohra, Puri etc. Some even have the surname Khatri as well.

one celebrity with khatri surname is Atul Khatri a standup comedian.

Back
Top Bottom