What's new

Why Indian Army Tanks lack AC and Night capabilties?

Indian Army’s tanks have a night vision capability of 20 percent, Pakistan’s have 80 percent while China has 100 percent, General Deepak Kapoor admitted this outrageous military debacle by saying: ‘You are right.’
Night vision is almost completely useless. Tanks more than anything need thermal imaging, that works better expecially to identifiy targets at long ranges. Night vision is cheap but would be worthless endevour. As far as pakistan or china have more tanks capable. It doesnt matter. because the indian army will "rarely" come across enemy tanks. As far as the indian army is concerned, their current fleet of soviet/russian tanks is just there to batter the forwards positions of the enemy. Taking out enemy tanks is the job of the artillery and airforce. Pakistan will use the same concept. Although with the arrivial of the Arjun mbt that can be changed. But to put in prespective for you, ill try to explian on a simplier model. Say you have 2 t-90s and the enemy has 1 alkhalid. if you move your tanks to the front, that 1 ak can take out 2 of your tanks because(for arguments sake) the ak is superior. what will you do? you would wait until the artillery pieces are in position to bombard them(indirectly) or the airforce if they have the time and resources. because even if you had 5 t-90s, the you would still loose 2. and even reveresed where the t-90 is superior, with those kinds of looses the war or battle almost seems worthless, causing then you wont have tanks by the time you reach the cities or larger military installations. that is why the militaries around the world have acceapted the fact, that stalingrad will never happen again. artillery is more accurate and so are bombs. atgm is another solution.
You dont answer you enemy with a sword for a sword. if your enemy draws a sword, you should draw a lance or better yet a gun.
its war.
the indian army does want to upgrade the t72 fleet but they are looking into multiple solutions and the lowest bidder as usual will win. they were no in a hurray.
if your argument is, how will the t72 attack enemy bunkers with at night. the answer is light.
the question you should be asking is what thermal imaging will the t72 recieve in order to see at night expecially hostile armour.

Why does tank lack AC?
India did not had enough money in the past so they saved cost on AC, they did not cared about the soldier.

Note: Both politicians and Army personal still got their share of money.

Why does tank lack AC?
India did not had enough money in the past so they saved cost on AC, they did not cared about the soldier.

Note: Both politicians and Army personal still got their share of money.
You try putting a decent ac unit in a t-72 chasis before? theres not a lot of room in these tanks. Look at the type 99 tanks. They had to extend their chasis just to fit the larger german engine. There has to be a good soluation. however the arjun seems to be fit for desert combat. and in my opinon 200 to 500 of these units is all one really needs in rajasthan.

You try putting a decent ac unit in a t-72 chasis before? theres not a lot of room in these tanks. Look at the type 99 tanks. They had to extend their chasis just to fit the larger german engine. There has to be a good soluation. however the arjun seems to be fit for desert combat. and in my opinon 200 to 500 of these units is all one really needs in rajasthan.

From what I was told, the Russian tanks had the AC but when we order them, ask them to deliver without AC. I am not aware of T-72 but I think T-90 also does not have AC. Things are changing as we have more budget.

@indianrabbit-sir,our T-90S did not have the AC or the SHOTRA APS,but the T-90's that are joining the fleet now are the T-90M with every thing that the s model did not have(source-defence forum of india)

India has the ability and access to buy any defence item in the world. The
Mmrca tender itself is an example. Still some are making comments on india buying s**t from others.
????/ First of all you don't need ability to buy defence equipment and secondly when did i said anything about India buying s**t from others or india cannot buy everything or something like that ?//
What i said is the explanation of that statement...I think we have started the modernization of T72 and production those 1000 t90s have also started and hence this percentage will change drastically by 2015.

We have started the modernisation of t-72's?!i thought that it was still in the negotiations stage!

^^^
I am not sure but i think so....there are some reports of some modernised t72 in the indian mbt fleet.

From what I was told, the Russian tanks had the AC but when we order them, ask them to deliver without AC. I am not aware of T-72 but I think T-90 also does not have AC. Things are changing as we have more budget.
from what i know the russian ac was crap. did not fill the needs. DRDO is developing one that can be fitted on the T-90 and T-72 with out hampering the engine

Listen Arjun may not be the best but it is designed by India. It can always remodeled with new solutions or designs. This is the step India needs to take....stop buying the T-90's and no more T-72's. Use what we have but develop new models based of the Arjun chassis. We can make it sleeker with a lower turret and such. What we can do to stay on top since we may lack the tech, is buy the weapons, sensors and other stuff and fit it accordingly to Arjun...Also, what about the use of thermal blankets that block visibility? Are we actively making this. I feel INdia is not planning the war doctrine properly. It is not preparing to fight a war with minimal human loss, which is a mistake. IAF and artillery to bombard enemy tanks sounds great, but what the enemies airforce? India lacks crucial artillery and planes/heli's. I know it is on buying spree but numbers make a critical difference. For Pakistan, it may seem enough till Pakistan pulls a few strikes out of its sleeve!

I knew ground forces and the entire armed forces personall is crap but ac and day nght capablities is a standard thing dude cmon

Who makes these decision in india but i understand india also has no money but they make useless investment on navy

Does india have fire control system on their tanks?

I knew ground forces and the entire armed forces personall is crap but ac and day nght capablities is a standard thing dude cmon

Who makes these decision in india but i understand india also has no money but they make useless investment on navy

>Indians make decision in india ,but can you say this for your own country??
>Come in front indian tanks ,you will definately witness Fire control system..

Dude Im Indian..don't waste your breathe! Half the INdian posters on here are so blind by patriotism that they cannot admit there is fault with the procurement process. Any dummy outside India knows the value of such tools....but I guess the Indian generals think that the soldiers can flash a light at their enemies and that will do the trick! It's not that India is not capable, they just have some real dumbs ppl in charge of the gov't and military. At least they used to.....we'll see from here on.

Listen Arjun may not be the best but it is designed by India. It can always remodeled with new solutions or designs.
Well there lies the problem. I don't know whats the problem with IA ?? They just don't want this arjun tank or any of its upgrades. I mean, tank experts from all over the world came to delhi to discuss the India's future MBT and everybody said that India should continue to work on Arjun, but our army wants a new design for FMBT. They are trying to design it but they haven't received a success yet.

I said this earlier also, i think MOD should start a competition for FMBT also like in the case of FICV. IA's FMBT vs DRDO's Arjun mk3. IA can take help of private companies like Mahindra, Ashok Leyland or Tata.

I don't get, why IA has problem with weight, just look how much safer Arjun is in comparison to other tanks in India's inventory or its neighbors. Arjun survived a point-blank hit from a T-72. I mean survivability of the tank is one of the most important property of a tank. Arjun can travel at such a high speed, has one of the best armor, great accuracy even when its moving and that too in both day and night conditions, even the ground pressure of arjun is way too less than t90 and now we have special arrangements for the transport of arjun.

I mean if in a war t90 and arjun are placed face to face, just tell me who will survive ?/ The best way is we should place t90 and arjun face to face till the last one survive. Lets have some real action this time.

Dude Im Indian..don't waste your breathe!

Don't make fun of Indians. You are not Indian but pretend to be, like many here wants to be pose as Indians. lol Only people like you take his crap seriously.

Half the INdian posters on here are so blind by patriotism that they cannot admit there is fault with the procurement process. Any dummy outside India knows the value of such tools....but I guess the Indian generals think that the soldiers can flash a light at their enemies and that will do the trick! It's not that India is not capable, they just have some real dumbs ppl in charge of the gov't and military. At least they used to.....we'll see from here on.
Why you need Indians when you are there to show or faults? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom