What's new

Why India needs to spend more on its defence

here see for yourself :

Pakistan has more nukes than India
Pakistan has more nukes than India: Report

*Cough Cough *

Tritium from Power Plants gives India an H-bomb capability

The Bhabha Atomic Research Center, Bombay, India, also having developed a wetproof catalyst for LPCE liquid phase catalytic exchange, has employed it for detritiation. A pilot plant based on LPCE cryogenic distillation with about 90 per cent tritium removal from heavy water has been commissioned and is under experimental evaluation. Reportedly, this facility seems to be the only operating LPCE-based detritiation facility in the world. A commercial detritiation plant based on this process is being set up at one of their nuclear power stations.

Our defense budget is mere 1.8% ,atleast we need 2.5%..
Congress is doing the same mistake as its founder

Strategic and to the point defense expenditure is enough to cater our requirements, we must not indulge in blind buying spree. 2-2.5% of our GDP is enough for that.

Guys how are you calculating it to be 1.8% please explain. I have calculated it with two figures of nominal gdp that i hear i.e 1.3 trillion & 1.43 trillion.
1.3 trillion gives it as 23.4 billion
1.43 tr gives 25 billion
What is our current nominal gdp???

Guys how are you calculating it to be 1.8% please explain. I have calculated it with two figures of nominal gdp that i hear i.e 1.3 trillion & 1.43 trillion.
1.3 trillion gives it as 23.4 billion
1.43 tr gives 25 billion
What is our current nominal gdp???

Read again it says It is 1.8% of Projected GDP Of 2011-12.

so that means we cross 2 trillion in the coming fiscal. 1.8*2trillion=36 billion

this is some great news.:

so that means we cross 2 trillion in the coming fiscal. 1.8*2trillion=36 billion

this is some great news.:
just $36 billion USD is the problem..
atleast it should have been $40 billion USD..

India needs to defend her country first then spend leftover money on infrastructure......what is infrastructure good for if the country can't defend foreign invasion because of little money spend on defense ??

India should get state of the art weapons from USA and Europe.
according to me we should not buy state of art weapons from usa and europe..........rather we should develop our own weapons....this will have twin profits....firstly it will genrate employment..............secondly it will stop outflow of cash and forgin depence in wepons.............and 36 billion $ are enough for our protection.............i think if we can invest some more money in infrastructure and manufacturing sector we can grow by dobule digits

according to me we should not buy state of art weapons from usa and europe..........rather we should develop our own weapons....this will have twin profits....firstly it will genrate employment..............secondly it will stop outflow of cash and forgin depence in wepons.............and 36 billion $ are enough for our protection.............i think if we can invest some more money in infrastructure and manufacturing sector we can grow by dobule digits

UNFORTUNATELY India is not capable of producing her own military hardware at the moment and depends on foreign imports :

India Becomes Top Arms Importer
India Becomes Top Arms Importer | Asia | English

Read again it says It is 1.8% of Projected GDP Of 2011-12.

When a few weeks ago the Indian media refuted Chinese parliamentary spokesperson's claim that Indian defense spending was above 2% of GDP, I wondered what kind of creative accounting Indians are using to bring their figure down. Now I know, it's the art of inflated projection.

As people pointed out for an USD 36 billion defense budget to be 1.83% of GDP you need to have a roughly 1960 billion economy. In 2010 India has a GDP less than 1500 billion. So you need a 30% nominal growth rate (excluding exchange rates fluctuations since we're using 2010 dollar). How is India going to manage this, 10% growth and 20% inflation?

If people are using such accounting method, then Chinese spending on military in 2011 would be around 1.41% of its GDP. Even if you pull a $150 billion figure out of thin air like OP's article did, that would only be 2.35% instead of 3.5% as the article claimed.

Anyway, if you use last year's GDP as the basis for calculation, which seems to be the mainstream practice, then India's defense spending as a percentage of GDP is roughly 2.5%. That's pretty much the sweet spot and I don't think it should be pushed higher.

india cant produce its own arms haffiz. YEAH RITE CHECK THESE OUT

AIR_ALH_Dhruv_Shakti_Engines_Armed_lg.jpg

LCH.jpg

LCA-tejas.jpg

2009091951321701.jpg

ARJUN+TANK+PKG+__01280905f-747968.jpg

i Could post pics of destroyers, MBRL, sam missles, Nuke subs, all day long.

40% OF INDIANmilitary needs are met indengiously

including these below

su-30mki_6.jpg

---------- Post added at 12:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Now hafizz you happy

I would like to have better infrastructure then buying toys that wont be used and will end up crashing or in junkward

UNFORTUNATELY India is not capable of producing her own military hardware at the moment and depends on foreign imports :

India Becomes Top Arms Importer
India Becomes Top Arms Importer | Asia | English
M not saying what we are doing ...i was saying that what we should do.......and at the movement we has all the tech to protect ourself...for eg lch dhruv insas lch arjun bramos..ships kolkata and chenai class and in future elwe have fgfa lca mac2 and all other development .... But our ministers and army get special pleasure in odring foregin equipments

Some more for our friend Hafizzz

Pinaka MBRL
pinaka_mlrs.jpg

Brahmos
brahmos38uy8.jpg

Akash SAM
116zx.jpg

Arihant Class SSBN
1.JPG

Vikrant class aircraft carrier
Vikrant03.jpg

Shivalik class frigate
800px-Shivalik_Maiden_Sortie.jpg

Kamorta class corvette
INS_kamorta_20100419.jpg

I mean you guys will never stop criticizing India. Just do some homework before ranting. India is now building BMD, nuke submarine, aircraft carriers. First find out how many countries can make these systems.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom