What's new

Why India cannot be replaced with Indonesia in the BRIC?

Personally I think India will still remain the dominant force in the BRIC, Indonesia has great potential no doubt but having been to both countries I think India's companies have more of an edge with regards to type of business they conduct themselves in.

That's my take without looking into numbers and predictions etc

I wouldn't bet all my cards on India though mate. There is still the problem of overpopulation, an overburdened infrastructure, regional issues, and a lack of will largely on the government's part to change things. Indonesia on the other hand has shown marked improvement over the past few years, boasting of a high growth rate, a drop in inflation, better economic policies in place and they are more closely integrated with ASEAN today. The population is alot smaller and less divided and that's an inherent advantage as less resources need to be diverted to the military or at keeping down political strife. Added to that they are in the right region too, being in proximity of Australia, the rest of ASEAN and China. India is coming up, I don't deny that, but as in any democracy, you are bound to expect progress at a much slower rate, especially given their size.

Nice to see a fellow sinkie here, welcome.

Agreed, India has definitely much hurdles to clear. Only difference I see when in both nations is that the Indians are generally more innovative and connected to the global world in businesses. Indonesia are mainly focus on raw materials, they do have their own industries but nothing really from what I saw that would set them apart (aside from the raw materials)

But what really bothers me is the underlying currents of violence among the poor populace which the politicians use freely to gain popularity. I recently came back from a Indonesian trip and my Chinese Indo friends are also worried about this, not sure how the government intends to uplift the millions of poor people but I think this uniqueness of undercurrent (compared to say Thailand) is why I am not so positive.

Just my two cents.

I wouldn't bet all my cards on India though mate. There is still the problem of overpopulation, an overburdened infrastructure, regional issues, and a lack of will largely on the government's part to change things. Indonesia on the other hand has shown marked improvement over the past few years, boasting of a high growth rate, a drop in inflation, better economic policies in place and they are more closely integrated with ASEAN today. The population is alot smaller and less divided and that's an inherent advantage as less resources need to be diverted to the military or at keeping down political strife. Added to that they are in the right region too, being in proximity of Australia, the rest of ASEAN and China. India is coming up, I don't deny that, but as in any democracy, you are bound to expect progress at a much slower rate, especially given their size.

short term bad period.... and all the chinese are jumping.. its so funny to see. :lol:

India will be no 1 economy in the world in future as per reports. So take long term view. Right now is the time to invest in India when the things are down.. buy now.. after another 3-4 years markets will touch at least double the valuations today... u wont want to buy then...

^^^^^^ Good or bad is relative.

According to the IMF data
India GDP growth rate at constant prices for 2010 was 10.6 % vs China's 10.4%
For 2011 India's GDP growth rate was around 7.2% vs China's 9.2%

Among major economies both India and China have been and most likely will be in the no.1 and no.2 positions flipping between them

Report for Selected Countries and Subjects

Back
Top Bottom