Why I Hate Diwali

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajtr

BANNED
Reaction score
Why I Hate Diwali
Posted by Jithin Krishnan
I once used to love Diwali a lot. I used to go out with my friends and dare take care of the biggest crackers around. No, wait, I din't like it all that much. It used to be a test of manhood when you were a kid. If you didn't do what everybody did, you were the freak.

We used to make fun of the obese kid who was so afraid that he used to take a full scale sheet of paper, roll it up and then use it to light the cracker.

We didn't let it show that we were as scared as everybody else. Anybody who has 'grown up' now and still says they were so brave and were so completely non-plussed by the idea of lighting one of those big ones and then throwing them over the edge of a terrace, well, apparently they haven't grown up enough yet.

Though looking back on it, Diwali meant painful headaches and boring relatives (the two might've been related). The food was small consolation, but consolation nonetheless.

Religion is so confusing. Half the people who are celebrating don't even know what they're celebrating. Can't blame them though. Religion's stupid folk stories are hardly worth a dime. They might all be as well celebrating the fact that it is a holiday.

Let me be honest. I don't hate Diwali because of it's ties with religion or it's awesomely bad folk lore background.

I hate it because I love peace and quiet. I hate it because I don't want to run the risk of being burned alive just so that some kid can have his thrills. I hate it coz I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night thinking I've time traveled the Vietnam Era. I don't know if they still employ child labourers at Sivakasi, but if they do, you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Every year, there's a lot of talk about "Safe Diwalis" and "Quiet Diwalis" But some of us just can't resist can we?

whats ur intention

What I Dislike About Diwali in Mumbai

Crackers. Need I say more? I probably don’t need to but I will because I’m in the mood to rant.

Diwali is supposed to be a heartwarming and peaceful Festival of Lights. Instead, in Mumbai, it’s a festival of noise. Noise louder than 100 decibels. Noise, with bomb crackers crossing more than 145 decibels . Last Diwali, I had to go out in the street near where we lived and one went off next to my ear. I realised what was going to happen, and put my hand over my ear to protect it. Yet, I still suffered ear damage and was half deaf for a day. The experience left me feeling extremely disturbed for weeks.

I tried to forget about the cracker noise, and get excited about celebrating Diwali this year. Tried to focus on the special meaning of the occasion. I seemed to have succeeded, as I was looking forward to dressing up in a new sari and going to the family puja today. It even appeared that some progress was being made to restrict the noise, with the Supreme Court banning loud crackers and capping permissible noise limits .

However, the last couple of days, I’ve been a bit stressed about various things. Then, last night, I had insomnia. I was still awake at 4.30 a.m., despite feeling exhausted and going to bed before midnight. I finally fell asleep, only to be woken early this morning by crackers. Kids bursting them in the courtyard outside my bedroom window. It went on for most of the morning. And yes, there were plenty of bomb crackers too, despite them apparently being banned.

I’m tired, grumpy, and once again feeling disturbed. I refuse to leave the house because I don’t want to subject myself to crackers going off everywhere, all over the roads I have to walk on. Sadly, I won’t be celebrating Diwali with family as planned. Diwali is completely ruined for me because of the cracker noise. I’m simply very sensitive to it, am not used to it, and can’t deal with it. There is nothing peaceful about Diwali in Mumbai.

My concerns about the crackers aside, the noise pollution also injures birds and animals. And disturbs babies and the elderly. If you need more reasons as to why I hate crackers, have a read of this blog . Tens of thousands of children work in cracker factories, and risk their lives in the process. Many get horribly burned and scarred. Just look at the pictures!

I’m still trying to figure out what is the attraction to noise in this country? What is the joy in making explosive sounds all day and night? Thankfully, people are becoming educated as to the harmful effects of crackers. So many more remain carelessly oblivious though. They’re just not interested.

I wonder, is the bursting of crackers just going to be another thing that’s almost impossible to change — like the throwing of rubbish, and men relieving themselves in the full view of everyone?

Why I Dislike Celebrating Diwali?
Filed under: Social — Leave a comment November 8, 2010
The festival of lights….err…smoke…err….lights and smoke…and noise just went by. It is safe to say that it is India’s favourite festival, one that is being celebrated for thousands of years. While I do not wish in any way that this great tradition ceases from existing, I very much question the manner in which this tradition has taken shape in the 21st century.
I am an Agnostic, so celebrating religious festivals isn’t my idea anyway, but who doesn’t like to see excitement and joy, and I love this festive season too. Business is good, share market is over 21000 points, workers get bonuses, outstation employees disappear to be with their families and so on. But lets look at the grim side. Here are the reservations I have about Diwali celebrations:
1. Noise and Smoke: When Lord Ram returned to Ayodhya, neither were there ‘smoke emitting fuljhaddis’ nor were there deafening ‘rassi bombs’. For the last 10 years I have been reading before the onset of Diwali about governments decision to ban these deafening bombs. Yet each year they are there, louder than ever. In this era of air and noise pollution, I doubt if God would be very happy that we use his name to dirty his creation. The smoke emitted by the fire crackers is so toxic that if one inhales the fumes, he would end up coughing for half an hour. Also, it amazes me as to how man has just zero consideration for the other living objects around it. Ask the birds and the other animals who unfortunately have to dwelve in our cities about their take on Diwali. Each time a bombs goes off, the poor birds and animals panic. Countless numbers die. But who cares, let’s celebrate Lord Ram’s homecoming.
2. Time Deadline: Just like the government’s claim about banning those deafening bombs, for the last many years there is a 10 pm deadline for bursting fire crackers. Yesterday, which wasn’t even the main Diwali day, people were bursting fire crackers till nearly midnight. What about the many old people who are trying to sleep and cannot rest thanks to this stupidity?
3. Other Communities: For 3-4 days, there are non stop fire crackers that are burst, much to the annoyance of the lakhs of non-Hindu who stay in India and have very little to do with Diwali. It is their right to have a peaceful environment, at least after 10 pm. I support the Singaporean model that no ‘religious activity/celebration’ can happen outside your house. So the Muslims should stop screaming at 5 am to wake god up, and the Hindus should stop bursting fire crackers at 11 pm to welcome Lord Ram.
4. Power Consumption: One of the most debt ridden states in India, Maharashtra has to anyway import power to meet its normal needs (even that it is unable to). During Diwali, thousands of megawatts of energy is wasted in useless illuminations. People even insist of keeping all lights in their house lit because it is the festival of light. The farmer in Vidarbha has to pay for this celebration, bearing the brunt of 16 hours of load shedding on an average.
5. Child Labour: The world knows that all these firecrackers are made by children in extremely disturbing and hazardous conditions, in Sivakasi and other locations. Instead of wasting money and hurting the environment by using these products, we must boycott them so that the children are not compelled to play with their lives for a meagre daily wage.
6. Wastage of Food: A lot of food is wasted during this season, which could have been used to feed the country’s poor for whom Diwali has no meaning. Apart from this, excessive sweets and fatty food stuffs hurt the general public’s health, not to mention the widespread adulteration that occurs during Diwali.

Diwali Ya Diwala?
You got it right. I hate Diwali. Of course, I am a self respecting Indian, Hindu etc etc. but I abhor this so called festival of lights. It's more like the festival of smoke and explosions, methinks.

There are various reasons why they celebrate this festival - in the northern parts of this country, they say that Lord Rama came home after fourteen long years of exile with his wife Sita - to celebrate his return, the people of Ayodhya lit the city up with lights - diyas and deepams. Beautiful, that sight must have been, if you ask me. I adore diyas, little clay lamps with oil and a bright flame dancing on the wick, often set on rangolis, those floor designs with colours that liven them up.

In the south, primarily in Tamil Nadu, they celebrate the slaying of the demon Narakasura by Lord Krishna with lamps. Diwali also marks the beginning of the winters. My grandma says that the real reason why they light all those lamps at this time is to kill insects. Apparently, a lot of swallows and other insects are born in the season of receding monsoons and become quite a menace - come Diwali, we light lamps and these insects get attracted to the flame and hurl themselves, in a final act of impulse, straight into the flames. Dead. I love my grandma's stories.

Somewhere down the line, some idiot invented fire crackers - don't get me entirely wrong now. I love those chakkars and anaars (fountain...?) and those phuljharis etc. They are fun, look pretty, mostly noiseless too. I also adore those fireworks in the sky and I can look at those for hours.

But fire crackers...those inanely useless bombs, Lakshmi bombs and Gorilla bombs and the likes, just what use are they? Narakasura is dead so the sound isn't going to kill him. Lord Rama would go scuttling back into his quiet and peaceful exile in the forest if he heard one of those bombs explode. And no insect is dying to high decibel levels I am sure - I don't think they can hear either - blissfully deaf.

So what purpose are those bombs serving? They are heart-wrenchingly, ear-splittingly, nerve-wrackingly painful when they set off and I am sure if I were old and suffering from hypertension or heart disease or one of those things, I would by now be on my way to heaven or hell or wherever it is that we go to when we die.

I hope those monstrosities are officially banned - they contribute to sound pollution, they can make you go deaf too, and by the way, they almost shattered my window with the impact.

Which is why, I have a new agenda. Every Diwali, I will travel to either Jammu & Kashmir, North East of India or Kerala. Apparently, these places aren't big on celebrating Diwali and while other parts of my nation spend time welcoming Rama and worshipping Krishna and killing monsoon flies, I can go grab my share of peace and quiet and come back once the pandemonium passes.

The noise should come down and yeah more colorful crackers instead of the nasty and noisy ones..

Quiet Diwali?? Are you kidding?? Name one of the celebration which is quite around here?? All those sounds and foods makes festivals enjoyable and if author does not like it, then why dont he take a tour to another country at these times.. Yes, we cant resist it.. Deal with it...

Why I Hate Diwali
Until now, I didn’t know why dog people hated Diwali so much. Even last year, when Babulal was a puppy, it didn’t seem that big a deal, especially as he went downstairs and watched the neighborhood kids light fountains or tubris with every evidence of enjoyment. He didn’t like the charkhis or Catherine wheels as they move around: he barked at them. BUt he certainly didn’t look for deep holes to hide in.

This year was different. Oh, boy. From about two weeks before the festival, Babulal would prick up his ears and tremble without warning. He could hear distant bombs that to us sounded little louder than a mosquito farting. He started eating less, especially in the evening, and would bolt without reason when outside.

A week before Diwali, he could only sleep for about five minutes without jerking awake. He followed us from room to room, squirming into his chosen hideyhole for that room: behind the cistern, under the sink, behind the gas cylinder, in the kneehole of my computer table. He’d hide there even if he knew we would only be in the room for a few seconds before he’d have to dash across open space to his next shelter, hyperventilating all the while. His breathing got so ragged you could hear it in the other room.

Under the sink
Three days before Diwali he stopped eating altogether; and wouldn’t go out in the evenings. He would only go out in the mornings and even then would rush back the instant he had done his business, to Putlibai’s extreme annoyance. His ribs showed through his skin, and dark circles appeared under his eyes. His stomach would growl incredibly loudly. Putlibai, who’s now six months old, showed no sign of distress, and every so often would bark at Babulal in his bomb shelter and whack his head with her paw, especially if he refused to play with her. Finally deciding he was beyond hope she ate his dinner.

Two days before Diwali he refused to go out for his morning walk, balking at the bottom of the stairs and forcing Putlibai to turn back. The result was of course mild to moderate constipation. I gave him a bone to make him feel better: under normal conditions it takes him about half an hour to reduce an average sized mutton bone to powder and eat it. This one he would not touch, but this put him into a quandary (as of course he had to bolt from room to room whenever I moved but that left his bone undefended) and this proved too much for his doggy brain. He had a sort of breakdown, became extremely snappish, first snarling at poor Putlibai (who only wanted to steal his bone having finished her own) then following me to another room in order to snap at my leg. Finally, having been shut up to cool off for twenty minutes, he came out very quietly and ate his bone.

Persuading him to look at dinner
If we showed any signs of leaving the flat he developed instant hysteria, mouthing anything that came in front of his mouth: chairs, newspapers, golf clubs, his own paw. I considered giving him a tranquiliser but wasn’t sure what dosage you give a dog. In any case he refused to eat anything, even his favourite boiled liver.

Finally on Sunday morning he ate his first proper meal, after some persuasion and me yelling at Putlibai who’s got into the habit of checking his dish out before she eats her own. One growl from Putlibai and he walks away from his dinner like Sidney Carton going to the guillotine. However if we scold her she gives it back.

Babulal’s still showing signs of trauma, although he’s going out for walks now; he just snapped at Avijit without provocation while I was writing this. He looked extremely shamefaced afterwards and is now hiding under the computer again. It will take a few days of rest and sleep before we see any improvement, and the odd bang that still keeps going off doesn’t help. Since this seems to affect adult dogs more than puppies, I suppose next year we can expect to see Putlibai lose her sang froid and join in the crazy-fest.

Which leaves me to question: why do we humans pollute our own environment with noise and chemicals for this? For displays which, if you blink or happen to be looking the wrong way, you don’t even get to see? Why do otherwise perfectly sensible people believe they have a right to destroy the happiness of babies, dogs, the elderly and the sick one weekend every year? What do they get out of it?

& then u people dont ask me y i hate this ................................

Anar Bomb- Ganga Jamuna naam se aata hai. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom