What's new

Why do investors prefer start-ups in India, Pakistan over Bangladesh?

I am definitely meeting the right ppl. these are the ppl who own bangladesh...and ppl like u suck cock of these sweat shop owners while they drive sports car and laugh there *** off lol and pay 100 dollar per month to poor village women.

Oh ya so why dont u explain why bd household makes almost half of indians then?

Also i am not doing money laundering. Its again done by the ppl who morons like u worship. U know the ppl belongs to current political party and army highups it self.

I am quoting this just so that you cannot delete or edit your post later. I don't need to respond to any of your filth. Your post clearly shows the level of education you have.

And yes, if you are willingly and knowingly selling houses to someone with a suspected source of income, you are aiding in conducting a criminal activity, which is punishable per Canadian law. Look it up, since you claim to be Canadian.

I have more respect for someone who drives a cab than a criminal.

Ultimately, labor cost advantage will propel all IT businesses to set up shop in Bangladesh. That is just cold, hard facts.

Bangladeshis aren't gadhas, especially the middle and upper middle class. Remember the adage, "What Bengal thinks today, India thinks tomorrow" ? Middle class Bengalis I'd say are much more suited to intellectual labor than all of India (except Andhra and South India in general).

India has more educated people in some cases and areas I admit (middle and upper middle class) because of early mover advantage (like you said), but Bangladesh has the advantage of low cost services, much lower than India and at better quality and efficiency to boot.

The level of education in middle class and upper middle class is not bad compared to India, English comprehension is somewhat of a problem, but looking at recent crop of H1B's from India, I doubt it is really that big of a gap.

A lot of Indians have no clue where Bangladesh is nowadays, either infra-wise or education-wise.

Cost advantage is how we took away India's business in apparel (better economies of scale, much better quality, lower cost) and that is eventually how IT Backoffice business will be taken away from India as well.

No one in the West consuming IT services has special considerations for Indians. Lower cost is why they go to India in the first place. Now they will go to Pakistan and Bangladesh, if services from these countries are marketed properly and given more incentives.

Labor cost trumps everything, mark my words, no one will pay Indian IT service providers one cent more if they can get the same service from Bangladesh for lower cost. Right now the likes of Infosys, TCS and Wipro (among other Indian service providers) are just waiting in the wings to set up shop in Bangladesh and they are watching intently, Indian salaries and costs are way too high!

Something has to give.

Bangladesh govt. folks are also sweetening the pie to entice IT investors, you will find out very soon. All the infra is ready to go anyway - Datacenters, High Tech Parks, everything. Bangladesh already competes very well with India on Freelance IT labor, even with one eighth the population.

This is where the trend is going. It is up to Indian companies whether they want to miss this boat or not.

iu

You have been reported for using low class indecent language.

Yes, the skills gap in IT literally non existent. BD coders, etc are every bit as good as Indian ones. What they have is the numbers advantage and I agree completely, over time our quality and price advantage will see us through.

People often think BDs advantage is low cost - truth is, Indians can easily work cheaper - but they can't touch our true advantage - the quality of work BD delivers at that cost.

Why do investors prefer start-ups in India, Pakistan over Bangladesh?​

Bangladeshi start-ups raised $165 million in 2021, whereas Indian counterparts raised $38 billion and Pakistani ones raised more than $350 million

Dhaka Mumbai Skyline

Photo on top shows Dhaka city landscape, and the photo below shows a city skyline from the Bandra to Worli sea link bridge in Mumbai AFP
Zisan Bin Liaquat
March 27, 2022 10:50 AM
Bangladesh has been consistently outperforming neighbouring India and Pakistan on various economic indicators, and its start-up scene — propelled by the government’s Digital Bangladesh vision — is growing at a breakneck speed.
And yet when it comes to raising funds from venture capitalists (VCs), the Bangladeshi start-up sector is dwarfed by those in neighbouring countries.
Bangladesh received over $750 million in foreign investment for start-ups in the last decade, raising the highest $165 million in 2021.
In that same year, Indian start-ups raised $42 billion, according to a report by Orios Venture Partners. And in Pakistan, whose start-up sector is still at a rudimentary stage, the companies raised more than $350 million, according to Pakistani consultancy firm Invest2Innovate.
According to industry experts and insiders, the narrative of Bangladesh in the global arena has been a major barrier to raising funds as most global investors do not know that Bangladesh has more to offer than just cheap labour and goods.
“Our storytelling needs to be better,” says Rahat Ahmed, the founder of Anchorless Bangladesh — a New York-based early-stage venture investment fund focused on advancing the Bangladeshi start-up ecosystem through access to global resources.
ADVERTISEMENT

“As a country, we don’t often understand the criteria foreign investors look for in private investments, including deal structure and founder mentality. However, it's definitely starting to get better,” he told Dhaka Tribune.
Apart from the lack of creating a compelling story for big ticket investors, including foreign angels and VCs who can literally invest their capital anywhere, there are several other bottlenecks.
“Some of the lingering challenges include a lack of liquidity, including follow-on funds, a growing need for more product development and management expertise other than creating a compelling story and proposition,” Nirjhor Rahman, the CEO of Bangladesh Angels explains.
He pointed out that in neighbouring markets such as India and Pakistan, there is a flourishing industry of domestic venture capital, particularly in the early stages within the fundraising value chain, often affiliated with local corporations and family offices.
However, despite Bangladeshi corporations and financial institutions turning towards start-ups for potential investment, they are still cutting relatively small — $250,000-500,000 — cheques.
“If we can create more domestic liquidity, more and more start-ups in Bangladesh can start scaling and get to Series A, B and C, and more foreign investors will start looking at Bangladeshi start-ups, because their minimum cheques are much larger and range in the millions of dollars,” Rahman said.
Rahat Ahmed also believes the lack of consistent and appropriately structured local funding is one of the single biggest weaknesses that has limited the development of the ecosystem.
“In comparison, our regional peers in India, Indonesia and Pakistan have benefitted from local corporations and angels playing a critical role in the early development and future funding of start-ups. Not only does Bangladesh need more such investors, but we also need them to invest in a manner so that founders can raise future rounds of funding abroad to scale their businesses,” he explained.
Bangladeshi tech start-ups have also been slacking in terms of fundraising compared to their neighbours because of certain policy bottlenecks, which unless resolved, will not attract foreign investors at a greater scale and with more significant sums.
ADVERTISEMENT
dt-ad
“First, we need to recognize that foreign investors will prefer indirect investments via holding entities in Singapore, or US, versus investing directly into a legal entity in Bangladesh. From that perspective, we need to allow Bangladeshi start-ups to legally create offshore entities to receive investments, with the goal of bringing them back to Bangladesh for operations,” Nirjhor Rahman said.
“We also need to allow for cross-shareholding, where local investors should be able to own shares in those foreign holding entities alongside foreign investors, even if they invest money locally,” he added.
Rahman also noted that there is still a lot of ambiguity and lack of case studies regarding successful repatriation of capital — be it dividends or share sales — in privately-held Bangladeshi companies.
“Without that, foreigners will feel uneasy because they are not fully sure how their money will be returned,” he added.
Local start-ups that pitch for foreign investment also face barriers that have been holding Bangladesh from keeping up with neighbours.
“When we are trying to look for foreign investors, the “sloth” regulatory process becomes a big issue that acts against the interest of investors,” a top official of MyCash told Dhaka Tribune.
“Suppose we are planning to launch our product by June, but our papers aren't ready yet because the whole process is very slow. If we say we could not launch in time, our investors will naturally shy away from investing anything,” he added.
Nazmul Arefin, the CEO of parenting services start-up ToguMogu, on the other hand, says that there is a lack of data, and such resources are very crucial in attracting foreign investors through an empirical projection that is realistic.
“When an investor looks for insights such as the size of a certain market, we hardly have any data to back our claim of its potential for growth. We cannot prove to them why our start-up has the potential to become a unicorn like bKash as we do not have enough data on unconventional or latent markets,” he said.
Bangladesh also needs to pick up pace on adapting the trend of reverse brain drain like India and Pakistan, which helped out their start-up ecosystems immensely.
Bangladeshi alumni of global tech companies who have made an impact in the West or in the local scenario need to reconnect with the local community to help them flourish through mentorship and investment, industry insiders say.
This has been the case for start-up GreenGrocery.
Green Grocery received angel investments by a group of young investors, led by M Asif Rahman, founder of ARCom and WPDeveloper.
Noor-E-Saba, co-founder and director of Marketing and Customer Service at GreenGrocery, said that unlike other similar start-ups that had faced several barriers in landing investments from foreign sources, it has been able to raise funds without much hassle as it was being backed by a veteran.

Its simple.
India is the lapdog in the subcontinent and has been reciving massive aid and investment since the mid 1990s.

India is not China, it is not Muslim majority either so the west really dosent see it as a civilizational threat. The west knows only Russia, China and Islam is able to challenge it.

I don't think you understand the problems in the region. Let me put it into perspective for you:

Yes, there are around 3.2m women working in the garments sector in BD earning $2.90 per day.

But in India there are an estimated 87m women living in extreme poverty - that's living on less than $1.90 a day. The scale of the problem is staggering.

I wonder where you get this information from and how recent were those sources.

India has 83 million people living under 1.9 dollars. How is it possible out of 83 million people there are 87 million women?

Total population under that poverty is 6%.

Its simple.
India is the lapdog in the subcontinent and has been reciving massive aid and investment since the mid 1990s.

India is not China, it is not Muslim majority either so the west really dosent see it as a civilizational threat. The west knows only Russia, China and Islam is able to challenge it.
Suuuuuuuuuure!

And I have a bridge to sell to you! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yes, the skills gap in IT literally non existent. BD coders, etc are every bit as good as Indian ones. What they have is the numbers advantage and I agree completely, over time our quality and price advantage will see us through.
How are you so sure about it?

Indian universities rank substantially higher than BD universities in CS. So how come they have same skill level?

Bangladesh already competes very well with India on Freelance IT labor
Freelance generally tends to be the lowest form of work in Software. Mostly freelance hires do things which professionals will not even touch because of salary or small scope of work. Things like small one time websites. Some personal projects. Some small prototypes for a person who wants to pitch an idea but has no money to build a real prototype.

Typically freelance becomes popular in those places where good formal opportunities are limited.

Pakistan is a good example.

Don't f00k with me with these technical terms as I have worked with MS (Azure cloud). I know how there DC's look like. They never had a plan to have Datacenter's in in APAC other than Japan. Australia was there already. They setup in India because of Client base. Most of the employers be it IBM,Wipro,TCS,Nokia has a big client setup in India and they don't want to have latency in their infra so Datacenters in India was established. I have worked for a Finnish telecom giant after moving from Citrix OEM and I know what they consider. I was moving their VDI's from ON Prem to Cloud, Since India in particular has infra issues so MS asked us to make machines in Japan as it also falls under APAC but my client simply said No. Why MS or say Amazon is going to have another Datacenter in a neighboring country when they can have MPLS or other high backbone cables to cater request ? What is the customer base in BD ? One lakh or couple of lakhs VDA's or VDI's ? You are not going to have Datacenter. We as in MS have only Datacenter in South Africa introduced recently for entire Africa, South Asia is not that big so no point of having another DC established.

Yeah, I also don't think GCP, Azure or AWS has any incentive to build another DC in Bd. BD doesn't have large scale customer data that can make them earn a lot of money.

People often think BDs advantage is low cost - truth is, Indians can easily work cheaper - but they can't touch our true advantage - the quality of work BD delivers at that cost.

Offshore IT is no longer coding only, it's all sorts of things nowadays. It can be network engineering, security engineering, Cybersecurity consultancy, Cybersecurity GRC, Databases, Architecture, everything pretty much. I feel we have huge skill shortage as well as lack of IT infra.

Yeah, I also don't think GCP, Azure or AWS has any incentive to build another DC in Bd. BD doesn't have large scale customer data that can make them earn a lot of money.

Offshore IT is no longer coding only, it's all sorts of things nowadays. It can be network engineering, security engineering, Cybersecurity consultancy, Cybersecurity GRC, Databases, Architecture, everything pretty much. I feel we have huge skill shortage as well as lack of IT infra.

I agree but I don't think it's a lack of ability - I think it's a shortage of numbers of skilled people. The people that have been trained are of an excellent standard. And as more people get into the sector the shortage will be addressed

Freelance generally tends to be the lowest form of work in Software. Mostly freelance hires do things which professionals will not even touch because of salary or small scope of work. Things like small one time websites. Some personal projects. Some small prototypes for a person who wants to pitch an idea but has no money to build a real prototype.

Typically freelance becomes popular in those places where good formal opportunities are limited.

Pakistan is a good example.

While I agree that freelancing doesn't pay as much as say supporting backoffice products etc. it is still better than nothing.

I would not Pooh-pooh this - you clearly are not aware.

Free lancing also incudes VFX work, AutoCAD work, CGI work, Photoshop work. The freelancers keep most of the money for themselves, instead of giving it to banyas like Infosys, TCS and their ilk. No one is complaining in Bangladesh.

You cannot be seriously insinuating that these don't require skill or don't pay well....they are nice sources of income for people sometimes with minimal formal education. People have to eat.

Building websites is the lowest grade of work people do in second floor of purani galli jhupri pattis.

With four month training from Sri Annapurna Annamalai Institute of Technology.

Takes four of them to hack together a website spending one month....if they can.

That is not what we are talking about here.

In Bangladesh every local project being built in Dhaka (even condo projects) have 3D CAD and VFX projects done to show prospective customers. I hardly see any Indian real estate condo builders do 3D CAD or VFX animation projects for that purpose.

Last edited:
Free lancing also incudes VFX work, AutoCAD work, CGI work, Photoshop work. The freelancers keep most of the money for themselves, instead of giving it to banyas like Infosys, TCS and their ilk. No one is complaining in Bangladesh.
These jobs are not exactly in software domain. I doubt Infosys or TCS have jobs in say doing VFX or AutoCAD. The biggest lure for Free lancing in India is stealing tax since income tax in not deducted at source. Still mostly college students or those with location restriction take up those jobs in IT sector. With more and more remote working jobs up for grabs, I believe even those folks will take up a remote job instead of these ones.

In Bangladesh, formal sectors in services are smaller compared to manufacturing (I believe), so yes, its to take freelance jobs is better than sitting idle if you have skills but rest assured, it will not develop needed skills for formal sector.

I do not know about VFX or CGI or CAD/CAM but I know about software development. No amount of freelancing will prepare you for instance a contract at a major bank to develop their mobile app because compliance and integration requirements will simply not be there in a freelance job and neither will be the scale. I believe similar situation will be there in AutoCAD. VFX and CGI have different skillsets than engineering ones so I can not comment on them.

Lastly about Infosys and TCS, most of these companies have training programmes which act as skill gap closer for people coming from less reputed colleges in India. Infosys for example have a six months "college" complete with campus to train or rather educate these fresh engineer who have really massive gaps in their knowledge and skills. So initial low salaries last only for 1 year (rather six months and remaining six months are just skill upgrade). With 1 years of experience you salary grows exponentially to keep up with market.

Last edited:
In Bangladesh every local project being built in Dhaka (even condo projects) have 3D CAD and VFX projects done to show prospective customers. I hardly see any Indian real estate condo builders do 3D CAD or VFX animation projects for that purpose.
3D CAD and VFX are very different skills and field than IT. 3D CAD is more aligned with mech and civil engineering and big name firms do that (https://www.tataelxsi.com/). AFAIK, 3D CAD will find place in product development firms. The only that I remember is Tata Elxsi since I am not from that field.

VFX is more of a production house / studio skill. Again there are few studios in India that I have heard of. Nothing like Industrial Light and Magic but due to presence of Bollywood, they employ them. Again, not my area so I do not know it.

It is tiresome to repeatedly see on this forum, the lack of understanding of what constitutes the IT industry and what role India plays in it.

Cheap billing alone is not enough to get IT work. Vendors are first shortlisted on technical capabilities, which includes depth and breadth of support. Commercial qualification is the 2nd or 3rd round.

Support work is getting rapidly automated. Who is making this support automation software? It is Indian companies, because they understand support. Are they scuttling their own boat? No. Because that is the future. Support is no longer about cheap manpower. When support is provided by software, it is far cheaper than even the cheapest manpower. Automation results in ultra low costs, and allows you to target clients who would have never thought of customer support, thereby increasing the market size. If Bangladeshis don't understand this and develop skills in automation, they are not going to be able to compete.

I have said this in the past and saying it again - Constantly dissing India has a low cost coolie works well for India because you are grossly underestimating our capabilities and therefore not learning from someone senior. There is no shame in learning from someone senior. We do it all the time in colleges and office don't we?

MS, Amazon and Google will come to Bangladesh for different reasons. Which has little to do with the reasons they came to India for.

You don't understand yet you are still judging - so typical.

MS, Amazon and Google came to India some years ago to support the backoffice businesses of TCS, Infosys, WIPRO and others. This is because local Indian cloud services operators were late to come to the picture, even though backoffice business was flourishing even a decade ago. It was an urgent need. Now the story has changed, plenty of Indian companies are getting into that game.

Bangladesh invested 350 crore in that single national datacenter (built by ZTE) so it wouldn't have to rent processing or storage capacity from either Indian nor other Asian datacenters. Dutch Bangla also has a huge fintech operation running locally in their datacenter. More and larger private datacenters are already planned. Govt. NDC will be doubled in size in another two years.

It is hilarious coming from a Shakuni Mama who is wishing that Bangladesh will not get datacenter while India is just now getting them. Dada - Shakuner dowa-tey goru morena... :-)

Also, when local data processing needs skyrocket (which is already happening because of large scale digitization of govt. functions), MS, Google and Amazon will be there to provide cloud storage and processing services for a fee. Don't worry - we can afford their rates. :lol:

Shakuni Mamas like yourself may end up working for services sold to Bangladesh by these cloud providers anyway.

It is tiresome to repeatedly see on this forum, the lack of understanding of what constitutes the IT industry and what role India plays in it.

Cheap billing alone is not enough to get IT work. Vendors are first shortlisted on technical capabilities, which includes depth and breadth of support. Commercial qualification is the 2nd or 3rd round.

Support work is getting rapidly automated. Who is making this support automation software? It is Indian companies, because they understand support. Are they scuttling their own boat? No. Because that is the future. Support is no longer about cheap manpower. When support is provided by software, it is far cheaper than even the cheapest manpower. Automation results in ultra low costs, and allows you to target clients who would have never thought of customer support, thereby increasing the market size. If Bangladeshis don't understand this and develop skills in automation, they are not going to be able to compete.

I have said this in the past and saying it again - Constantly dissing India has a low cost coolie works well for India because you are grossly underestimating our capabilities and therefore not learning from someone senior. There is no shame in learning from someone senior. We do it all the time in colleges and office don't we?
Well think about it :

20-25 years back, if you needed a website with a database and transaction processing for payment, you need to (at the very minimum):

1. Setup a webserver, install database server, install a transaction co-ordinator on perhaps same or other server.
2. Resolve whatever network, configuration etc issues.
3. Secure setup with firewalls.

All of this needed :
1. A network engineer
2. A technician to setup servers
3. An IT pro to setup applications, DBs
4. A DBM to configure and manage DBs.
5. A Web-developer to develop the actual website

These days what you need :
1. An AWS account
2. A fullstack developer

Need Database? A dynamo DB table can be instantiated instantly. Need transacations? Its supported on that table. Need networking? Just create a VPC on AWS. Need web server? Host your content in S3 and front it with cloudfront (2 minutes). Need application server? Run your code directly in a lambda or AWS ECS fargate without ever managing a single server or even aware of servers! Need firewall? Just create a security group.

All of the above can be done by writing code in javascript and using Amazon CDK. One person in a day can complete this setup and then go and write code for website. Best part? No server to patch or network to secure.

The cheap and donkey skills IT pro advantage of India has long gone. Its not there for past 10-15 years. And the software industry in India has gone up only.

Why are you quoting news from 2017 Dada??

This is the reason for Accenture leaving - effed up mentalities of Indian bosses having superior attitudes. All work was being done in Hyderabad, with no skills transfer to locals.

Bangladesh is not India, it is a sovereign country with a different work culture. Either learn to work with locals or get the hell out.

Eventually main contract went to WIPRO, who abided by local rules and sensibilities.

You come seeking revenues in OUR COUNTRY - not the other way round.

I am glad these Indian Accenture bosses were given a huge middle finger. Eff off and don't come back.

They were threatened with being beat up on the street and they would have - too. Good riddance.

I am sure these faida-lootnewallah Indians learned their lessons.

Accenture can't get another contract in Bangladesh without paying overdue pay.

Thank you for replying like an Indian. Please change your flag.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom