What's new

Why do investors prefer start-ups in India, Pakistan over Bangladesh?

India and BD have realised the folly of their previous ways and have formed a partnership now that will also pull Nepal and Bhutan up with them.

Not sure what Pakistan's plan is at this moment.
Pakistan can take benefit if it starts business with india , but imran is opposing any relation with india . He thinks india has removed him for sharifs .

Bengaluru's tech ecosystem value is at $105 billion which is higher than that of Singapore at $89 billion and Tokyo at $62 billion, a report showed on Tuesday.

As per the report released by the policy advisory and research firm Startup Genome, the city has moved up to number 22 in the Global Startup Ecosystem ranking.

In 2021, Bangalore also beat out both Beijing and Shanghai in the amount of venture capital raised and number of rounds, according to London & Partners and Dealroom.

The Indian city which is home to the R&D centers of some of the world’s most famous tech companies, including Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, and Google. Its IT sector employs over four million people, and accounts for an estimated $130 billion in exports every year.

@mmr

Bd in general is obsessed with garments.

Matter of time. At that point of time, garmenting was the core competence of BD workforce, that is why it succeeded, that is why everyone was focused there. But there will be a succeeding generation of BDs who will have received much better education and English speaking skills and they will eventually do something similar to India in IT and ITES.

Regards

@mmr

Matter of time. At that point of time, garmenting was the core competence of BD workforce, that is why it succeeded, that is why everyone was focused there. But there will be a succeeding generation of BDs who will have received much better education and English speaking skills and they will eventually do something similar to India in IT and ITES.

Regards

I think a better explanation is that we didn't have any other choice. Large population, low skilled, poverty, what else could we do? Then it became a boon and made a lot of money for us and continues to do so. A businessman doesn't care which industry, he only cares about the profit margin. So if BD businessmen are still investing in garments, it's because it's a money maker. Also, there are many entrepreneurs who don't have knowledge, skill or vision to go into other industries. Hopefully it will change in the future, could have been faster if our policy makers were less illiterate and indulged in less thievery.

No, India did not start in 2000.

India started in 1970s which was a visionary move. They set up first Software Export Processing Zone in 1973. IT parks were being set up all through 80s and 90s. Not only that, India focused on quality IT education. Which is exactly why India is so far ahead of Bangladesh and Pakistan in this sector.

In comparison, government investment in IT in Bangladesh seriously began after 2009.

I don't even see the point you are trying to prove by bringing in comparison with India.

Indians are successful in IT as they focused so early and they have the advantage of speaking English as they could not agree on one of their native languages as a common language!

BD is already at near 2 billion US dollars of exports and 5 billion by 2025 is realistic as per government target.

With strong government push and thousands of talented and entrepreneurial BD youth entering the sector every year then BD will be at least relatively successful.

IT is not everything for BD as it also has the huge garment industry and others such as electronics, pharma and shipbuilding.

What a lot of people miss is that BD companies literally sell billlions in the BD home market and so although export sales are not that large as of now, it is not the whole story.

Major export push has only come this decade for sectors apart from garments.

Indian IT payouts have raised tremendously over the past 2 years. People with just 7 years of experience are making more than 3 million INR per annum if they are in the market especially with skills in cloud, data science and AI.

Indian IT payouts have raised tremendously over the past 2 years. People with just 7 years of experience are making more than 3 million INR per annum if they are in the market especially with skills in cloud, data science and AI.
Be careful with that. From what I am hearing, there has been a correction underway.

I think a better explanation is that we didn't have any other choice. Large population, low skilled, poverty, what else could we do? Then it became a boon and made a lot of money for us and continues to do so. A businessman doesn't care which industry, he only cares about the profit margin. So if BD businessmen are still investing in garments, it's because it's a money maker. Also, there are many entrepreneurs who don't have knowledge, skill or vision to go into other industries. Hopefully it will change in the future, could have been faster if our policy makers were less illiterate and indulged in less thievery.
This is typically true with every dominant industry or business. They are more the product of limitations of a particular country or people and less the product of ingenuity. Japanese conquered finished goods in 70s, 80s and 90s because they had highly educated skilled labor, limited land and virtually no major natural resource like oil or iron ore.

Be careful with that. From what I am hearing, there has been a correction underway.

This is typically true with every dominant industry or business. They are more the product of limitations of a particular country or people and less the product of ingenuity. Japanese conquered finished goods in 70s, 80s and 90s because they had highly educated skilled labor, limited land and virtually no major natural resource.
I am not sure if it will affect me much. But lets see.

MS, Amazon and Google will come to Bangladesh for different reasons. Which has little to do with the reasons they came to India for.

You don't understand yet you are still judging - so typical.

MS, Amazon and Google came to India some years ago to support the backoffice businesses of TCS, Infosys, WIPRO and others. This is because local Indian cloud services operators were late to come to the picture, even though backoffice business was flourishing even a decade ago. It was an urgent need. Now the story has changed, plenty of Indian companies are getting into that game.

Bangladesh invested 350 crore in that single national datacenter (built by ZTE) so it wouldn't have to rent processing or storage capacity from either Indian nor other Asian datacenters. Dutch Bangla also has a huge fintech operation running locally in their datacenter. More and larger private datacenters are already planned. Govt. NDC will be doubled in size in another two years.

It is hilarious coming from a Shakuni Mama who is wishing that Bangladesh will not get datacenter while India is just now getting them. Dada - Shakuner dowa-tey goru morena... :-)

Also, when local data processing needs skyrocket (which is already happening because of large scale digitization of govt. functions), MS, Google and Amazon will be there to provide cloud storage and processing services for a fee. Don't worry - we can afford their rates. :lol:

Shakuni Mamas like yourself may end up working for services sold to Bangladesh by these cloud providers anyway.

Don't f00k with me with these technical terms as I have worked with MS (Azure cloud). I know how there DC's look like. They never had a plan to have Datacenter's in in APAC other than Japan. Australia was there already. They setup in India because of Client base. Most of the employers be it IBM,Wipro,TCS,Nokia has a big client setup in India and they don't want to have latency in their infra so Datacenters in India was established. I have worked for a Finnish telecom giant after moving from Citrix OEM and I know what they consider. I was moving their VDI's from ON Prem to Cloud, Since India in particular has infra issues so MS asked us to make machines in Japan as it also falls under APAC but my client simply said No. Why MS or say Amazon is going to have another Datacenter in a neighboring country when they can have MPLS or other high backbone cables to cater request ? What is the customer base in BD ? One lakh or couple of lakhs VDA's or VDI's ? You are not going to have Datacenter. We as in MS have only Datacenter in South Africa introduced recently for entire Africa, South Asia is not that big so no point of having another DC established.

I don't think you understand the problems in the region. Let me put it into perspective for you:

Yes, there are around 3.2m women working in the garments sector in BD earning $2.90 per day.

But in India there are an estimated 87m women living in extreme poverty - that's living on less than $1.90 a day. The scale of the problem is staggering.

Bengali women are able to work to keep their dignity and stay above the poverty line, Indian women don't have that choice.

For every Bangladeshi woman you lament earning 100 USD per month, there are 27 Indian women suffering far, far worse. I won't even mention the other problems for women endemic in that society.

Yes Bangladesh is dwarfed by India in FDI terms - they have a much more established industrial base. And they have monopolised the IT industry. Even Pakistan has a massive headstart on BD having established FDI since the 80s. BD is a new proposition for investors and will take a while to build investor confidence.
This is an old argument to justify paying slave salary to poor village ppl. I
ndia has problem in its north mostly but in south they did very well. The amount of money indians make from software is many times more then underwear exports. Not to mention any one can open up sweatshops in any where...its the easiest thing to do.

But software business is complex and india will dominate that for long term. Bd garments can only sustain as long able to pay slave salary to poor women who cant even buy 1 kg meat once a year. Since we talking about dignity!

This is an old argument to justify paying slave salary to poor village ppl. I
ndia has problem in its north mostly but in south they did very well. The amount of money indians make from software is many times more then underwear exports. Not to mention any one can open up sweatshops in any where...its the easiest thing to do.

But software business is complex and india will dominate that for long term. Bd garments can only sustain as long able to pay slave salary to poor women who cant even buy 1 kg meat once a year. Since we talking about dignity!

Ummm, you think extreme poverty is better than regular wages?

And actually, let alone buying meat, every single person in BD gets to eat meat during qurbani time - for free. The kind of poverty you're imagining is what you have seen in India - you're projecting it on BD

Ps. yours is the old argument - that India is special when it comes to IT. Yes India has early adopter advantage and a ready infrastructure - but there is literally no barrier to entry into the IT world and BD and Pakistan are growing their IT exports every year.

@mmr

Regards
I doubt that. Only way this might happen if bd some how receive billions of fdi in software related businesses. So far fdi only comes to garments or power sector etc.

U simply cant expect bd will become successful in software without technical knowhow and knowledge transfer from outsiders.

And actually, let alone buying meat, every single person in BD gets to eat meat during qurbani time - for free. The kind of poverty you're imagining is what you have seen in India - you're projecting it on BD

Ps. yours is the old argument - that India is special when it comes to IT. Yes India has early adopter advantage and a ready infrastructure - but there is literally no barrier to entry into the IT world and BD and Pakistan are growing their IT exports every year.
You want bd ppl happy with qurbani meat then its ur choice. I have higher expectations.

IT is way hard to get in to then garments. Bd export of software is not even billion dollar. Thats nothing for a country of 170 million ppl. Which is what size of entire western Europe?

Unless bd get fdi and those big mnc open up campus it will be extremely hard to compete with indians to gain market share.

You want bd ppl happy with qurbani meat then its ur choice. I have higher expectations.

IT is way hard to get in to then garments. Bd export of software is not even billion dollar. Thats nothing for a country of 170 million ppl. Which is what size of entire western Europe?

Unless bd get fdi and those big mnc open up campus it will be extremely hard to compete with indians to gain market share.

You said people can't afford to eat meat more than once a year and I demonstrated that's not true.

And you're ignoring the fact that 87m women in India are even poorer, in extreme poverty. Not only can they not afford meat even once a year, even if they managed to get hold of meat they could be lynched for it. So I ask again for you to put things in perspective.

Ultimately, labor cost advantage will propel all IT businesses to set up shop in Bangladesh. That is just cold, hard facts.

Bangladeshis aren't gadhas, especially the middle and upper middle class. Remember the adage, "What Bengal thinks today, India thinks tomorrow" ? Middle class Bengalis I'd say are much more suited to intellectual labor than all of India (except Andhra and South India in general).

India has more educated people in some cases and areas I admit (middle and upper middle class) because of early mover advantage (like you said), but Bangladesh has the advantage of low cost services, much lower than India and at better quality and efficiency to boot.

The level of education in middle class and upper middle class is not bad compared to India, English comprehension is somewhat of a problem, but looking at recent crop of H1B's from India, I doubt it is really that big of a gap.

A lot of Indians have no clue where Bangladesh is nowadays, either infra-wise or education-wise.

Cost advantage is how we took away India's business in apparel (better economies of scale, much better quality, lower cost) and that is eventually how IT Backoffice business will be taken away from India as well.

No one in the West consuming IT services has special considerations for Indians. Lower cost is why they go to India in the first place. Now they will go to Pakistan and Bangladesh, if services from these countries are marketed properly and given more incentives.

Labor cost trumps everything, mark my words, no one will pay Indian IT service providers one cent more if they can get the same service from Bangladesh for lower cost. Right now the likes of Infosys, TCS and Wipro (among other Indian service providers) are just waiting in the wings to set up shop in Bangladesh and they are watching intently, Indian salaries and costs are way too high!

Something has to give.

Bangladesh govt. folks are also sweetening the pie to entice IT investors, you will find out very soon. All the infra is ready to go anyway - Datacenters, High Tech Parks, everything. Bangladesh already competes very well with India on Freelance IT labor, even with one eighth the population.

This is where the trend is going. It is up to Indian companies whether they want to miss this boat or not.

iu

Dont talk shit shit please. You are talking about qurbani time only whereas we we do have free langars going on Gurudwaras or iskon temples at least 365*7*24. Pull out the figures from your rear end I don't care but we Sikhs are known for their hospitality. We were running oxygen campaigns when we were running short of hospital beds. forget about khana we give it illegal immigrant BD's as well. If you don't believe me google it.

Gautam Gambhir former Indian cricketer spend 3 crore in a month to give free langar to poor people and you are saying people are dying of hunger.40% of India population is living in urban areas which constitute to double or triple of BD upper middle class household income and you are telling us we are dying of hunger.Assi na honde to twada wajood b na hoonda tabhi shri sat srikal maharaj ne kaha hai ki chidiya naal te baaj ladawa bengali naal jarurat hi nahi ladan di (it is a punjabi proverb you won't get it, Pakistanis knows it how we lubed them)

You have been reported for using low class indecent language.

Back
Top Bottom