What's new

Why do India celebrate 'Vijay Diwas' on 16th December?

My point is not that.

The article says Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year to commemorate India's victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh.

Don't you think it should be Bangladesh's victory over Pakistan?
As mentioned by another member.
Bangladesh won a political victory.
The military victory was India's.

My point is not that.

The article says Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year to commemorate India's victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh.

Yes it is Bangladesh victory too. Who is denying it my friend?

Indian army fought in that war and accepted surrender from Pak army.

Pak army did not surrender to Mukti Behani or Bangladesh Government in exile. They Surrendered to Indian army. Hence we celebrate it.

Happy Vijay Diwas to you too.

My point is not that.

Yes it is Bangladesh victory too. Who is denying it my friend?

Indian army fought in that war and accepted surrender from Pak army.

Pak army did not surrender to Mukti Behani or Bangladesh Government in exile. They Surrendered to Indian army. Hence we celebrate it.

Happy Vijay Diwas to you too.

@IamBengali India fought a war both on the borders of East and West, since Niazi's surrender ended the war, its a Vijay Divas. Its liberation Day for Bangladeshis.

Military India has won over pakistan as it was direct India- Pak war. But politically bangladesh won over Pakistan...

But if you say it in Bangladesh , most people will get deeply offended and hurt by such statement. Victory Day is a very emotional part for all Bangladeshis. People don't want to give away major credit to India or any other nation for independence. Its very own victory over another nation. Here India's role in 1971 is seen as supportive role. If you say its Indo-Pak war Bangladeshis will get offended very deeply.

Military celebrates generally because they lost fellow soldiers there, but not the common people so much.

niazi-1.jpg

we will celebrate Vijay Divas for Bangla Liberation by our Army :victory1::victory1::enjoy:.

@IamBengali Thing of better reasons to hate India...
Even I can do better o_O

We had a military victory and we remember it, how does it bother your celebrations :what:

But if you say it in Bangladesh , most people will get deeply offended and hurt by such statement. Victory Day is a very emotional part for all Bangladeshis. People don't want to give away major credit to India or any other nation for independence. Its very own victory over another nation. Here India's role in 1971 is seen as supportive role. If you say its Indo-Pak war Bangladeshis will get offended very deeply.
well brother nobody cares what your nation thinks as it is too emotional subject for you but tell me could your mukti bahini have survuved had india not given it active support or could you have driven owt pakistani army owt of bangladesh had indian army and navy not launched an attack on so calle "east pakistan" or bangladesh as you now call it

dont forget this

genocide

before getting emotional look at the ground reality and you should be greatfull,curtious & responsible enof to give credit where its deu

Last edited:
My point is not that.

No because if India did not intervene and opened the airspace, west pakistan would have flown in an additional division of forces and quelled the dissent, even if meant killing half the population, and even with all the vigor of independence, bengalis wouldn't have been able to do much againt the machine guns and tanks.... As much as you would like to believe MB defeated pakistanis, it was an Indian general that Niazi surrendered to....If India did not declare war against pakistan,and defeat them there would have been no bangladesh,

But war was fought in both east and west sector. We are not taking credit for bangladesh independence but for Indian military victory.

Its seen as Bangla-Pak war , not Indo-Pak war in Bangladesh.
Thats fine.... Both are true ..

Back
Top Bottom