What's new

Why do India celebrate 'Vijay Diwas' on 16th December?

IamBengali

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Today is Bangladesh's Bijoy Dibosh (Victory Day) but TOI says its 'Vijay Diwas' of India and they celebrate 16th December every year as their victory day. I have no problem sharing our joy with India since India helped us to get victory and I consider Indians as our inseparable brothers but why do a nation celebrate another country's national victory day (sometime called independence day wrongly) as their own Vijay Diwas? Isn't it offensive to Bangladeshis since we struggled and fought against the Pakistani army to get independence.

Vijay Diwas celebrations start with band concert

KOLKATA: Vijay Diwas celebrations began in Kolkata through a band concert at the national library auditorium on Saturday. Nearly 550 people, including school children and NCC cadets, attended the concert. Among the officers present was Lt Gen A K Choudhary, general officer commanding, Bengal Area. Among the bands that performed were the Shillong-based Assam Regimental Centre and 58 Gorkha Training Centre. The regimental band of 8 Assam also performed during the event.

The band concert was preceded by a motivational film and talk by representatives of the army, navy and air force, encouraging young students to join the defence services. "It was a great event. The uniformed musicians played martial scores as deftly as they performed classical, folk and popular patriotic numbers," a member of the audience said.

Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year to commemorate India's victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh. Pakistani forces surrendered in Dhaka on December 16, 1971. To mark this occasion, wreaths are laid at the Vijay Smarak at Fort William in Kolkata every year on December 16. Several other programmes are held. Apart from serving and retired officers of the army, navy and air force, mukti joddhas from Bangladesh and their families also attend these programmes. This year, there will be 82 guests from the neighbouring country, including six serving officers.

Guests have already started arriving for the celebrations. Among those who reached Kolkata on Saturday was Lt Gen (retd) JFR Jacob, who was chief of staff, Eastern Command during the 1971 War. A number of former eastern army commanders have also started reaching Kolkata. Lt Gen Dalbir Singh, GOC-in-C, Eastern Command, will be playing host to visitors in Kolkata for the last time. He has already been appointed vice chief of army staff and will move to Delhi shortly. Lt Gen MMS Rai will take over as GOC-in-C, Eastern Command, from January 1, 2014.

"We have some other programmes lined up to celebrate Vijay Diwas. One of these is the military tattoo that will be organized in January. We didn't want to club that event with the wreath laying and other programmes as things get hectic," an officer said.

Vijay Diwas celebrations start with band concert - The Times of India

Last edited:
Today is Bangladesh's Bijoy Dibosh (Victory Day) but TOI says its 'Vijay Diwas' of India and they celebrate 16th December every year as their victory day. I have no problem sharing our joy with India since India helped us to get victory and I consider Indians as our inseparable brothers but why do a nation celebrate another country's national victory day (sometime called independence day wrongly) as their own Vijay Diwas? Isn't it offensive to Bangladeshis since they struggled and fought against the Pakistani army to get independence.
Why would it be offensive?
The entire Indian Army was mobilized and fought the Pakistani Army not just in Bangladesh but also West Pakistan.

The Pakistani Army surrendered to the Indian Army in Bangladesh.

The Bangladeshi's also fought against the Pakistanis, but those Bangladeshi's were trained, housed in India before they started their campaign.

Why shouldnt it be both countries victory day? You do realize that without India, BD would not have been able to repel the Pakistani Army.

Its like asking Allied Army of WW2, not to celebrate liberation of France because France views it as independence day and it would be offensive to the French.

It doesn't Not Concern Bangladesh India celebrate It for the Glory and Honour of its soldiers who sacrificed their life's for the Independence of other country:(and for maintaining Peace in that country

Today is Bangladesh's Bijoy Dibosh (Victory Day) but TOI says its 'Vijay Diwas' of India and they celebrate 16th December every year as their victory day. I have no problem sharing our joy with India since India helped us to get victory and I consider Indians as our inseparable brothers but why do a nation celebrates another country's national victory day (sometime calls independence day wrongly) as their own Vijay Diwas? Isn't it offensive to Bangladeshis since they struggled and fought against the Pakistani army to get independence.

Vijay Diwas celebrations start with band concert

KOLKATA: Vijay Diwas celebrations began in Kolkata through a band concert at the national library auditorium on Saturday. Nearly 550 people, including school children and NCC cadets, attended the concert. Among the officers present was Lt Gen A K Choudhary, general officer commanding, Bengal Area. Among the bands that performed were the Shillong-based Assam Regimental Centre and 58 Gorkha Training Centre. The regimental band of 8 Assam also performed during the event.

The band concert was preceded by a motivational film and talk by representatives of the army, navy and air force, encouraging young students to join the defence services. "It was a great event. The uniformed musicians played martial scores as deftly as they performed classical, folk and popular patriotic numbers," a member of the audience said.

Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year to commemorate India's victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh. Pakistani forces surrendered in Dhaka on December 16, 1971. To mark this occasion, wreaths are laid at the Vijay Smarak at Fort William in Kolkata every year on December 16. Several other programmes are held. Apart from serving and retired officers of the army, navy and air force, mukti joddhas from Bangladesh and their families also attend these programmes. This year, there will be 82 guests from the neighbouring country, including six serving officers.

Guests have already started arriving for the celebrations. Among those who reached Kolkata on Saturday was Lt Gen (retd) JFR Jacob, who was chief of staff, Eastern Command during the 1971 War. A number of former eastern army commanders have also started reaching Kolkata. Lt Gen Dalbir Singh, GOC-in-C, Eastern Command, will be playing host to visitors in Kolkata for the last time. He has already been appointed vice chief of army staff and will move to Delhi shortly. Lt Gen MMS Rai will take over as GOC-in-C, Eastern Command, from January 1, 2014.

"We have some other programmes lined up to celebrate Vijay Diwas. One of these is the military tattoo that will be organized in January. We didn't want to club that event with the wreath laying and other programmes as things get hectic," an officer said.

Vijay Diwas celebrations start with band concert - The Times of India

Interesting how Bangladeshis have become 'they' instead of 'we'!

It doesn't Not Concern Bangladesh India celebrate It for the Glory and Honour of its soldiers who sacrificed their life's for the Independence of other country:(and for maintaining Peace in that country
It for the Glory and Honour of its soldiers who sacrificed their life's for the Independence of other country:(and for maintaining Peace in that country+ Securing India's strategic and security interests by nullifying any potential threat emanating of east pakistan...

My point is not that.

The article says Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year to commemorate India's victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh.

Don't you think it should be Bangladesh's victory over Pakistan?

Interesting too, how Bangladeshi brothers have become evi hindu killing Damn illegals.

I never killed any hindus!:fie:...maybe one or two when I was drunk:drag::lazy2::bad:....but I never did it sober!

Because both are different country. Bangladeshi celebrate with as Independence day and we celebrate it a victory day..
Actually Independence day is 26th March(Zia decleared Indiependence)!

e article says Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year to commemorate India's victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh.

Bangladesh's victory over Pakistan?
My point is not that.

The article says Vijay Diwas is celebrated every year to commemorate India's victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war that led to the creation of Bangladesh.

Don't you think it should be Bangladesh's victory over Pakistan?

Military India has won over pakistan as it was direct India- Pak war. But politically bangladesh won over Pakistan...

I never killed any hindus!:fie:...maybe one or two when I was drunk:drag::lazy2::bad:....but I never did it sober!

Actually Independence day is 26th March(Zia decleared Indiependence)!

Hi. How come your location flag changed to bangladesh. :-)

Thought you were in the U.S. as i saw your location flag was before in the U.S. :-)

Because both are different country. Bangladeshi celebrate with as Independence day and we celebrate it a victory day..

Wrong. We celebrate the day as Victory Day. 26th March is our independence day.

:lol: celebrating your state terrorism against Pakistan.

and indeed India maintained peace in Bangladesh by massacring BD soldiers through mutiny ;)

Back
Top Bottom