What's new

Why China will chose India over Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
With an increasing amount of criticism of the Saudi Wahabbi branch of Islam in Pakistan and the Saudi role in funding and promoting certain puritanical Islamic teachings, combined with the Pakistani attempts to get closer to Iran (assisting in Rigi's arrest, the IP pipeline, Turkey-Iran-Pakistan rail and road links), the presence of a Shia President and a political party with which the Saudis have not always seen eye to eye (the Saudis would much rather do business with Nawaz and the PML-N) Saudi Arabia may in fact be realizing that the Saudi-Pak relationship is not going to exist at the levels it used to, and they are hedging their own bets.

That is exactly what we are talking about here. Saudi Arabia had a great influence on Pakistan, less because they are both Muslim countries and more because of the oil subsidies provided by Saudi Arabia, in return for the state of Pakistan allowing the Saudis influence the populace. And now when the Saudis see their influence diminishing in Pakistan, they are turning to others. In the times when Saudis were so into Pakistan, people in both the countries must have said the same thing, 'that they are our brothers that we will NEVER part'.

But the truth is, diplomacy is nurtured on the common grounds developed by the two states to benefit them both. The true intentions and future of the Saudis have been known to all the people who have well understood the oil politics originating from the gulf.

Quite frankly, other than the geo-political fact that a nation must attempt to maintain good relationships with, and influence over, as many nations as possible, I will be extremely glad if a realignment takes place here. Pakistan's immediate neighborhood, and cultural similarities, is Iran, Afghanistan, CAR's, Turkey etc. , and not Saudi Arabia or the other Gulf States. The possibilities of a regional trading bloc, outside of SAARC, only exist with the above mentioned nations, not with the GCC, so why build relationships with the GCC at the expense of the region?

I suppose your logic is based on the premise that geographically close countries will be easier to trade with than those who are farther away.

Well, we are already in the 21st century, and with each passing time we are getting more technologically advanced while diminishing the value of geopolitical situations. So unless the SAARC countries are highly rich in any resources (ex. oil/minerals/skilled human resources/technology base etc.) that are completely unique to them, they would fail to create a strong basis for the existence of such groups. After all, the strongest ever group - NATO, was not completely based on geography.

I say it would be more mature to form a strong relationship with those specific countries whose long-term interests lie with us/you, and then create the group irrespective of how near or far apart the countries are from each other. To counter the influence of the west, geographically apart BRI&C too are trying to do the same.

Clueless as ever, the Pakistani government is pursuing exactly the same myopic and limited relationship with China. And there is no effort from the Chinese side to expand the relationship either.

its pretty simple i am no great strategic thinker but that's what China needs Pakistan for as a counter balance to India. To keep India occupied.

There is no effort coz they already got what they want in simple strategic depth against India.

That is exactly what we are talking about here. Saudi Arabia had a great influence on Pakistan, less because they are both Muslim countries and more because of the oil subsidies provided by Saudi Arabia, in return for the state of Pakistan allowing the Saudis influence the populace.
You are correct that for Pakistan the material benefits were Saudi financial support (some speculate that it even funded Pakistan's nuclear program), but the tangibles Saudi Arabia was looking for were not just 'allowing Saudis to influence the Pakistani populace', but Pakistani military support (potentially, against the Israelis - keep in mind the secondment of Pakistani military officials to Arab militaries and in some cases their participation in combat against Israel), as well as the possibility of future access to nuclear and missile technology.

Another very important factor, especially after the Iranian Revolution, was hedging against Iranian influence in the region (Pakistan has perhaps the worlds second largest Shia population after Iran), and the Saudis and Iranians are responsible for some of the sectarian violence in Pakistan a couple of decades ago as both regimes supported militant Shia and Sunni militant organizations in Pakistan and in essence fought a proxy war at our expense.

The criticizm over the AQ Khan network, the NSG waiver for India, and Pakistan's own desire to expand its civilian nuclear program and in the future obtain its own exemption have pretty much ended any hope of Saudi Arabia obtaining nuclear weapons or missile technology from Pakistan - Pakistan is simply not going to jeopardize its own strategic and economic goals for the sake of the Saudis.

Similarly, there appears to be an increasing realization that Pakistan cannot live in hostility with Iran given that it is a neighbor and a potentially huge trade partner and source of energy supplies to Pakistan (directly and indirectly). Iran, despite being Shia majority and Pakistan Sunni majority, is very popular amongst most Pakistanis as well. This then essentially ends another perceived Saudi interest in courting Pakistan.

Finally, the Saudis are not going to war with the Israelis - not unless extremists topple the Royal Family, and therefore that limits their need to court Pakistan for military reasons.
I suppose your logic is based on the premise that geographically close countries will be easier to trade with than those who are farther away.
Not just geographical proximity, but the attitudes of the GCC and their demographics and limited industrial capacity beyond a select few products. The GCC cannot even implement the long discussed common currency and market within themselves, likely because of the petty egos and attitudes of the Royals involved. The markets of the countries I mentioned however are far more conducive to the goods and services produced by Pakistan, and vice versa. Pakistan is already involved in trading most of the Pakistani goods and services the GCC offers a market for.
Well, we are already in the 21st century, and with each passing time we are getting more technologically advanced while diminishing the value of geopolitical situations. So unless the SAARC countries are highly rich in any resources (ex. oil/minerals/skilled human resources/technology base etc.) that are completely unique to them, they would fail to create a strong basis for the existence of such groups. After all, the strongest ever group - NATO, was not completely based on geography.

I say it would be more mature to form a strong relationship with those specific countries whose long-term interests lie with us/you, and then create the group irrespective of how near or far apart the countries are from each other. To counter the influence of the west, geographically apart BRI&C too are trying to do the same.

I am not suggesting that Pakistan not attempt to trade with the GCC or attempt to enter FTA's with them, we should obviously continue to do that. But an economic bloc can be a far more intimate coming together of states, and I just do not see that intimate sharing of interests, culture and people-to-people bonds between the Arab world and Pakistan - on the latter count, atleast not in terms of Arabs feeling any kind of bonds to Pakistanis.

China and Pakistan have student exchange programs, and many other initiatives are going on besides military. Taimikhan said all that needed to be said. I do agree we need to make our economy a lot stronger all it takes is decisive and patriotic leadership and good security environment. China has helped us a lot, we've done what we can to help them. This thread will only aim to please the hindustanys i think. Though i do agree with some of what was said. Chinese think in the long run. We only think in short run. We should change that habit.

We have grown and prospered on the back of the effort put in by my father's generation, continued and accelerated by mine, and which will culminate in pre-destined global economic powerhouse status tomorrow by my kids'.

We did not do this to make you guys look small. We did not do this to gain acceptance by the West. We did this for us. So instead of grudging us (admittedly smoothly) what we have achieved by dismissing us as aspirational wannabes, maybe it is time for you guys to do the same, whatever route you decide for yourselves.

Our media is no different from media anywhere else. So don't grudge them their living either.

When we say Pakistan is irrelevant, or that you do not count in the top 10 of the priority lists of most Indians, it is not to say that we are actively seeking to dehyphenate ourselves from you. It just is. And the de-hyphenation has happened on the world stage, and not a creation of us Indians.

Your final point. India and Indians would love to enjoy warm relations with Pakistan and Pakistanis. But if we do not, its not going to be something we cannot handle as a country. For as long as it takes. So please do not feel that we came back to the table and re-started dialogue because we were secretly worried about the repercussions of not re-engaging Pakistan.

Our reaction to Mumbai was measured, mature, responsible, and controlled. We are here today chatting on a forum thanks to that. You may or may not appreciate our response, but we both know that were the tables turned, the same would not ahve been the case.

And the world knows it too.

Cheers, Doc

Your statements are negated by the fact that the Indian media is obsessed with Pakistan. Clearly, Pakistan-bashing sells well in the Indian marketplace. Quite an accomplishment for an 'irrelevant' nation.

That's mightly nice of you to be so continually concerned about the welfare of such an 'irrelevant' country.

I am sure your leaders, admittedly more capable than Pakistan's, are far more cognizant of the need for regional relationships.

I think that the matter of relevance or irrelevance as laid out by vsdoc is not clearly understood by Pakistanis. Pakistan attracts primarily negative coverage which comes from Indians wearing glasses coloured by Pakistan's support to terrorism within India(from our perspective).
More importantly the lack of relevance comes from a subtle change in the dynamics of Indian society. There has slowly been a de-north indianisation of Indian polity. Most North Indians of an earlier generation had a very mixed view of Pakistan. They could hate it deeply but at the same time hold affection towards Pakistanis because of a perception of a shared culture. The gradual movement of economic & some political power to the South & the West has meant that that is less commonly seen in the Indian polity these days. Even North Indians of the present generation have been themselves changed in this new India slowly moving towards a more generalised Indian view of Pakistan. When out of India, some tend to be able to share a connection with Pakistanis but that is not true for all Indians, especially from the South whose only image of Pakistan is negative if at all & for whom Pakistan means nothing else.

The present Indian political dispensation is the clearest example of that change. Barring the Prime Minister, all other members of the powerful CCS(cabinet committee on security) are from outside the Hindi speaking belt. The Home Minister, the Defence Minister, the Foreign Minister, the NSA are south Indians while the Finance Minister is a Bengali. The first three almost never speak in Hindi (I assume that it holds true of the NSA but I'm not sure & while Mr. Pranab Mukherjee can speak in Hindi, no Pakistani would ever understand anything he said.), which immediately removes any feelings of closeness which Pakistanis shared with an earlier generation of Indians. A case in point would be Mr.Chidambaram's visit to Pakistan where his meeting with the Pakistan HM certainly lacked the warmness that has characterised earlier meetings. It was all business & no emotion which is the direction that we are likely to be moving towards.

The irrelevance that we are talking about is in the cultural & emotional consciousness of India & that has an air of irreversible inevitability about it.

China and Pakistan have student exchange programs, and many other initiatives are going on besides military. Taimikhan said all that needed to be said. I do agree we need to make our economy a lot stronger all it takes is decisive and patriotic leadership and good security environment. China has helped us a lot, we've done what we can to help them. This thread will only aim to please the hindustanys i think. Though i do agree with some of what was said. Chinese think in the long run. We only think in short run. We should change that habit.

Don't worry you have benefited them more then they have given to you otherwise they are more hardcore then capitalist USA. They would have said goodbye long ago.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

If i have to sum i up in short.

China needs Pakistan for:

- To held India hostage, slow down India's growth.

- Suppressing its Muslims.

- Even then have a good image among muslim countries

- Route to West Asia and Central Asia natural resources.

- Market to dump its goods.

- Big market for its military products of all types and low quality.

China needs India:

- In international forums. For example climate summits to form a alliance to tackle gang of USA & West.

- India's big market, which is also one of the biggest market of the world.

- India's help as India has say and goodwill among developing nations specially in Africa, Central Asia apart from others.

But, china is not fool to annoyed India or bully India just for the sake of it and get India closer to USA or force India to become USA's ally.

In short china will not leave pakistan because they will have a country with some elements who always control pakistan directly/indirectly. And these elements are always ready to go to war with India or Nuke India.

Also they can use them to slow down the growth of India or engage/tie down India in subcontinent.

The cost of keeping pakistan at their side is most economical to chinese, they need to give only some weapons and few millions dollar. Its quite economical.

I hate to say this as a Pakistani but, in the long term, I see China abandoning Pakistan in favor of India. The reason is simple: Paksitan is pursuing the exact same failed policy with China that it did with the US.

Pakistan/China cooperation is strictly limited to military and governmental levels. There is very little people-to-people contact and almost no cultural exchange. The relationship is one of 'colleagues, not friends'.

India, on the other hand, is using its soft power to build a positive image amongst the Chinese masses. As China becomes more democratic, it will tilt more and more towards India.

This is exactly what happened in the US. While the Pakistan military enjoyed a cozy relationship with the Pentagon, India was busy buying politcians and working on a grass-roots campaign within the US.

Clueless as ever, the Pakistani government is pursuing exactly the same myopic and limited relationship with China. And there is no effort from the Chinese side to expand the relationship either.

The other main factor is that, instead of being a strong self-sufficient ally, Pakistan is becoming more and more like a destitute friend who needs to be propped up. Right now, China is facing subtle resistance and resentment from the West and it sees Pakistan as a symbolic gateway to the resource-rich Muslim world. Once China is firmly in the driver's seat, will they want to associate themselves with a perpetually sick friend like Pakistan because, let's face it, the feudal-military alliance leading Paksitan has absolutely no interest in a stable, strong Pakistan. They are strictly interested in a short term strategy of lining their own coffers while they are in power and then running away to some foreign country.

Simple answer is that both countries become big economies in the world and with the help of each both can gain alot money

And second and most important answer is China is not stick in past like Pakistan ... they thinking about future .... they know full scale war with India push world in another world war ......

China declined to extend a billions Dollars bailout by not coming through with that aid, China pushed Islamabad into the arms of the International Monetary Fund and its policy strictures.

China has as big a stake as anyone else in Pakistan's future. China has cultivated the country as a counterweight to India. As India's relation will improve in coming decades with China, need for Pakistan will fade away to cooperation to strategic interests. China will never take over the roll of US keeping Pakistan in it's grips of influence.

China has never given funding/money to Pakistan. And as a Pakistani, I say it the right thing. As Taimi has said, Chinese have always offered to help set up infrastructure. Self-reliance is what the Chinese constantly are talking to Pakistan about. This is indeed true friendship. It is up to Pakistan to evolve this relationship so its not just about Chinese helping us with projects. We need to kick up the game so there is more value-add for the Chinese in this relationship.

As far as the need of Pakistan fading away, this is a pipe dream. I say this because its never been a matter of "need", rather convergence of interests of the two countries. As such we have had a partnership and as far as the things are going, I do not see a major rapprochement in the region between China and India. Recent outspoken Indian belligerence is playing a role in this affair becoming more standoffish.

There was an article by B Raman that I posted the other day that lists some of the areas in which China is cooperating with Pakistan and what its interests in Pakistan are:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/strate...64198-enhanced-chinese-interest-pakistan.html

Developereo - I'll leave it up to you whether you want to merge the two threads, since the discussion is essentially one of whether Chinese interests in Pakistan will be strong enough going into the future to continue the relationship we have enjoyed so far, or leave as is.

Simple answer is that both countries become big economies in the world and with the help of each both can gain alot money

And second and most important answer is China is not stick in past like Pakistan ... they thinking about future .... they know full scale war with India push world in another world war ......

As the two economies grow, they will inevitably run afoul of each other. This is simply the nature of the beast.

Pakistan is certainly not stuck in the past. We have reached out to Russia, have had some traction with even the Israelis so we are definitely much more flexible in our alignment with the world. We are not under the spotlight as much owing to our relatively smaller size as and when we change our relationships with other countries. India on the other hand will run into issues as it tries to maneuver and find herself a spot at the world table as a growing power. In this maneuvering, give and take goes and that ends up putting countries in camps. The one that India seems to be pursuing clearly is not on the side of the Chinese.

The reality is that its up to the leadership of each of these countries. If grand desires and expansive policies are set aside, there is a chance of relatively peaceful co-existence. Pakistan is smaller and can address its foreign policy more nimbly to attune them to the changing scenario.

Developereo has already pointed out that your assertions are belied by the reality of the coverage (mostly distorted and disparaging to perpetuate the brainwashing of the Indian masses I presume) Pakistan gets in the Indian media.

Secondly, while the world has and is willing to 'de-hyphenate' India and Pakistan, it is India that continues to 'hyphenate' India and Pakistan, by continuously seeking to lobby against Pakistani interests strategically - whether they be arms sales to Pakistan or attempts to bolster its civilian nuclear capabilities.
Hardly. It's your establishment that wants hyphenation and parity. You want nucke deal coz we got one (very disappointing was musharraf's statement). We want nuke deal because as per our plans a good 20,000 MW (btw total installed capacity of pakistan) of power is supposed tobe generated by nuke plants 2020 and we're already running behind time. We are a big country and huge apetite, we can't let our interests held hostage to your requirements for 'parity'. It'll be the same in iron, natural gas, mineral resources, oil , security council seat...I mean everything.

Don't worry you have benefited them more then they have given to you otherwise they are more hardcore then capitalist USA. They would have said goodbye long ago.

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

If i have to sum i up in short.

China needs India:

- In international forums. For example climate summits to form a alliance to tackle gang of USA & West.

- India's big market, which is also one of the biggest market of the world.

- India's help as India has say and goodwill among developing nations specially in Africa, Central Asia apart from others.

But, china is not fool to annoyed India or bully India just for the sake of it and get India closer to USA or force India to become USA's ally.

In short china will not leave pakistan because they will have a country with some elements who always control pakistan directly/indirectly. And these elements are always ready to go to war with India or Nuke India.

Also they can use them to slow down the growth of India or engage/tie down India in subcontinent.

The cost of keeping pakistan at their side is most economical to chinese, they need to give only some weapons and few millions dollar. Its quite economical.

A post with with silly and misplaced arrogance does not qualify for summing up.

This is your sense of insecurity. Nothing tangible here aside from the fact that China is helping Pakistan fulfill its legitimate defence needs, no different than what its doing for BD, SL etc. etc. Had China wanted Pakistan to slow down India's growth, Pakistan would have been receiving all sorts of financial aid and military assistance. The reality is that China does not want to ruffle things too much and as such Pakistan-China relations have always been on a constant trajectory. Slowing down of India's growth would be as a result of your own shenanigans and not those due to external machinations.

What is the Pakistan connection here? The only thing the Chinese have asked for is that their folks should not be coming to Pakistan while being connected to militancy. I see the typical urge to connect Pakistan to all sorts of negative issues in your post. Fairly typical!

They manage this themselves instead of relying on Pakistan to do so. This is no different than what you folks try to do in Middle East.

They have this route through multiple means. They have ties with Mongolia etc. etc. which would allow them the same.

No different than the West where Chinese products in Trillions have been dumped. I see the typical Indian jab here insinuating a negative for Pakistan but its okay. Nobody is complaining since you folks are the only ones having heartburn over this.

Low quality? Big talk from a side that has yet to produce even a fifth of the Chinese military exports. The fact that your population is about the same as China's and then comparing your quality with that of China is the joke. The only thing of low quality is the Indian product compared to anything the Chinese produce. So get over your sense of insecurity and learn to respect other's progress and development. All you can do is bad mouth their products knowing fully well that with your own dismal products, you cannot even claim a market.

Last edited:
Oh yes, of course I very much agree with your point that grass roots diplomacy works. But what I meant to say was about more than mere diplomacy. As you just said, grassroots diplomacy works better with democracies, it also works with all other different kinds of institutions. There is no democracy in Saudi Arabia, which is warming up to India very quickly. There was no democracy in the most communist of all states - the USSR, and India was close ally then. In fact, greatest amount of cultural exchange that post-independence India underwent through, was with the communist USSR.

You do raise valid exceptions to the democracy rule. AM already addressed the Saudi situation, and I would argue that the India/USSR relationship was driven mainly by the respective governments. Most of the cultural exchanges were dictated by the authorities, rather than spontaneously occuring at the grass roots levels for the simple reason that both countries had closed, authoritarian societies. India only opened up to the world fully after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

The best interest of any two nations lie in peaceful economic cooperation. If there were no cold war, the US and the USSR would be the most powerful and most promising economies today. However, each of them had to burden its own people and its own state by diverting their resources to be spent on countering each other. It will always be beneficial for China and India to cooperate on economic terms than to go through self-destructive arms race.

I am not sure I agree. There is a school of thought that believes that scientific (and economic) innovation and progress is driven by conflict. The classic example is the warring Greek tribes defeating the much larger Persian Empire. Or the tiny European countries emerging out to conquer the globe.

Yes, I do very much agree with the points you put forth, but here I want to add something too. The media always caters to those who are ignorant of the actualities. And those who are ignorant and seek the media for information, are the ones who barely affect the relationships of any two states.

For example, a shop-owner in Pakistan or a car dealer in the US would not affect US-Pak relations, no matter how misguided he/she is by the media. On the second hand, a US army general posted in Islamabad or a Pakistani Consular posted in DC may somewhat influence what transpires between the two nations, but then they will not be seeking out the media to understand what is going on.

An errant individual may cause short term harm to the relationship, but overall state policy and the debate is very much framed by the media. I agree that the average voter has neither the time nor the desire to learn the finer details of foreign affairs. All they care about is who will keep the jobs secure and the house prices up, so they go by the media soundbites. That is why the media decides which issues are important. Case in point here in Australia, asylum seekers make up a tiny fraction of total migration, yet they have become the target of dog whistle politics, with every major party vowing to 'turn back the boats'.

In conclusion, I think the media is given much more credit than it deserves when it comes to diplomatic relations between two states - Pakistani media is as good as absent in the US, yet in general Americans are very sympathetic toward Pakistan and still consider it a close ally of the US. But then, the perception of the general populace does not dictate diplomacy of the state.

I would disagree. I have no doubt that the average American, or Westerner, has a far more favorable image of India than of Pakistan. And that is because of media images of Pakistan v/s those of India.

Please excuse me for replying to you on your response to VsDoc, but I had to say this - Indians (barring the ignorant 5% of them anywhere) do NOT think of India as the next, or next to next... superpower! Indians are fine with India prospering without it being a superpower. We are all aware of the poverty and inequality in India, as our country is also marred by widespread corruption as is yours. In fact, I have seen more Pakistanis using 'superpower' term with India than Indians themselves. We are only being hopeful for a prosper India, and it stops at that.

Well, India acts arrogantly at the governmental level with Pakistan, and ordinary Indians seem to have a strange attitude towards Pakistan. At the risk of stereotyping, I have found South Indians to be far more reserved and less belligerent than Northerners.

Nice thread and good to see so many positive and sane replys.

The question of "Why China will chose India over Pakistan" can be extended to "Why world is choosing India over Pakistan". And by these I do not talk about defence related issues but rather culturally.

I think you are agreeing that India's greatest asset is its soft power. I don't think that ordinary people, or countries, care that much about democracy and secularism in their friends. Most westerners are fine being friends with China, except for a few outspoken activists. Similarly, most Westerners or Western governments wouldn't really care if Pakistan was a democracy, a theocracy or whatever, as long as it provided a strong market for their goods.

In the history of past 3000+ years, India and China have been greatest economies and markets in the world, and lived very peacefully and had enormous amount of cultural exchange.

I am not sure that the dynamics of past centuries necessarily apply any more. We are getting to the point where resource contention is a very dire reality. And it will only get worse in the coming decades.

Uzbekistan takes aid from the US and used to house a base or two. Tajikistan has had American, Indian and French troops stationed on its land since 9/11.

The Uzbek base is on borrowed time. The US was almost evicted under Russian pressure, but only managed to remain after Obama relented on the European missile shield. I haven't followed the issue lately, but both those decisions may be reversed now, and the US may be out of Uzbekistan already. As for Tajikistan, they will evict the US if Russia sneezes.

As for "All it takes is one nuke from Pyong Yang and Seoul is toast." No one is going to use nukes unless they want to commit suicide with their country. Using nukes is like declaring war on the whole world, as the whole world would take a very tough stance against you.

North Korea is not a very sane country. There's no telling what they might do under pressure.

As for Pakistan, Pakistan can easily be shifted back and forth between China and the US depending on how serious each is in keeping it as an ally. China currently holds a slight upper hand, but Paksitan is still heavily dependent on the US economically, poliotcally and somewhat militarly.

If you think Pakistan will ever allow US military operations from its soil against China, you are completely wrong. It will not happen.

In your first post you mentioned a fake program was developed by Australia so people from India could come in?? :hitwall:

Mate i have worked for DIAC and i am telling you all this from experience - In the beginning the GSM policy was very simple (Study and if your profession is in demand regardless of your country of origin get residence) - just like any other newly started program but overtime it got matured and holes were fixed. Now unless you have experience no chance!

I am extremely familiar with the Australian migration process. The cookery and hairdressing occupations were put on the skilled occupation list to coincide with John Howard's trip to India where he launched the travelling road show promoting Australian student visas. They were only removed after the huge media publicity about attacks on Indian students revealed the ongoing migration loophole and the government was embarrassed.

ok tell me do you know about Working holiday scheme? Anyone from Category A country can come here and work for 2 years without any issue and than settle if they want to - how easy is that no fuss.

They can not settle automatically after a working holiday visa. In fact, they can't even keep the same job for more than 3 (or 6) months at a time during the visa.

When hairdressing was in demand student from any country was able to come study and stay there was no barrier as to what your home country is.

Student visas from India were rubber-stamped by the Australian travelling road show. There was no similar rubber-samping for other countries, certainly not for Pakistan. Students from other countries did take advantage of the scheme, but the overwhelming beneficiaries were students from India. The Chinese student numbers did not balloon as much as Indians. Australia has always had high Chinese migration. The student scheme was instituted to boost Indian migration.

Now talking about Study roadshow, that is to attract students so they come here and pay fees, income from overseas students makes up for 13% of GPD here.

That nonsense has already been debunked; most of the money spent by foreign students is actually earned within Australia.

As the two economies grow, they will inevitably run afoul of each other. This is simply the nature of the beast.
Ummm very debatable....It will happen only if there are conflict of interests....On top of that their mutual engagement as of today is worth $60 Billion and is increasing every day.....Honestly i do not see conflicts as such...Will this hold true in 3-5 decades from now...you never know....

Pakistan is certainly not stuck in the past. We have reached out to Russia, have had some traction with even the Israelis so we are definitely much more flexible in our alignment with the world. We are not under the spotlight as much owing to our relatively smaller size as and when we change our relationships with other countries.

I am sorry but disagree a bit here....You are a democracy(though interrupted many times by PA) and just imagine what chaos Pakistan would be if your present govt. choose to recognize Israel??? It would take significant time to change public preception....So in short if you say your political/military class has opened upto decouple religion with geo-politics then i am fins...However you need lot of effort to bring paradigm shift in your populace...

As far as relatively smaller size is concerend then again i disagree....So far GOP has used her geographical location as a sellout....No matter you are small or not but you clearly have a geo-graphical advantage......In short geo-politics will always play its part irrespective of your size...

India on the other hand will run into issues as it tries to maneuver and find herself a spot at the world table as a growing power. In this maneuvering, give and take goes and that ends up putting countries in camps.
That is where the mindset needs to be changed...GOI has succesfully done it many times however seems people fail to notice....Thanks to Nehru's ideology if NAM

- We never joined any camps. Even during height of cold war and US role in 1971 war we did not join WARSAW...Now look at Pakistan, being a US ally better relations with Russia was never on cards....Today we have an all-weather friend in name of Russia and very strong relations with US...In short both arch rivals are friends to us....

- Being an Islamic state and close to Arab world Pakistan did not pursue any relations with Israel(status quo is still there)...We followed the same route however we corrected our mistake way back in 1991....In today's world both Palestine and Israel consider India as friends and we have pretty good relations with Arab world.... In short another example where we have two arch rivals as our friends....

- Even though China arms Pak to its teeth and we having border dispute with them yet we managed to have good relations with them...they might not yet be in our friend's list still our engagement is worth $60 billions and is growing manifolds while we are talking...

- India-Iran relation will be another example......This is very hard ball-game....However GOI is playing it well....

All this happened/happening while we are growing....So trust me we know the art of diplomacy and know how to decouple rivalry/camps with bilateral relations...

The one that India seems to be pursuing clearly is not on the side of the Chinese.
Not sure which example are you quoting here....However if you look at history of India-China relations you will find out that as of now we have best relations with China....So certainly whatever we are pursuing is helping us....

The reality is that its up to the leadership of each of these countries. If grand desires and expansive policies are set aside, there is a chance of relatively peaceful co-existence.
You are right...A lot depend on leadership...One needs to have visionary leader....However that is very important but not the only importanto aspect...There is more to it...As of now you don't have a mature democracy....heck even after 6 decades India is still not very mature....Pakistan would also have to invest time in democracy before they enjoy the fruits....

Pakistan is smaller and can address its foreign policy more nimbly to attune them to the changing scenario.
Pakistan was always small....I might have missed but in 6 decades have not seen paradigm change in your policy...Unfortunately ZIA radicalized you a bit too much and it will take some significant effort to correct it....Anyways would appreciate if you can share a few incidents....In short what i want to say is that its not just the size....Had that been true Israel is too small a country to be noticed but then you know how much attention it attracts.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom