What's new

Why Chennai can't and won't speak Hindi

I said international not domestic reach (and Tamil has international reach compared to Hindi)

Can't answer to your hypothetical question, so far they seem to be doing OK .. but from what I know its the North Indians who are bulk migrating to the Southern Metros like B'lore, HYD, and Madras not vice versa.
Correct me if I am wrong

Where do you believe a Tamilian has better chance to migrate to, rest of India or Korea? Yes they are doing okay there are tons of Tamilians here in Mumbai who speak in Hindi to survive, I lived in B'lore and did great only with Hindi, good that the Tamilians in rest of the country and myself didn't opt for Korean instead of Hindi :lol:

Serious aava ?
yes search "Dravida Nadu" revolution.

Where do you believe a Tamilian has better chance to migrate to, rest of India or Korea? Yes they are doing okay there are tons of Tamilians here in Mumbai who speak in Hindi to survive, I lived in B'lore and did great only with Hindi, good that the Tamilians in rest of the country and myself didn't opt for Korean instead of Hindi :lol:
With this attitude you going no where. Try to understand one must always make people of India united and secure. If you try to disrespect and impose your Hindi attitude then someday it's going to backfire largely.

I said international not domestic reach (and Tamil has international reach compared to Hindi)

Can't answer to your hypothetical question, so far they seem to be doing OK .. but from what I know its the North Indians who are bulk migrating to the Southern Metros like B'lore, HYD, and Madras not vice versa.
Correct me if I am wrong
You are wrong. Migration is taking place for long. Lot of southerners were in north India, it is only recently (10-15 yrs) that reverse is also taking place, due to rapid IT and other development....

Although I'm not in favour of imposing Hindi on all Indians, I do find that the frequent reason given by those Tamilians who refuse to learn Hindi is rather silly. Learning a new language will neither lead us to abandon our own mothertongue nor our local culture and customs.

With this attitude you going no where. Try to understand one must always make people of India united and secure. If you try to disrespect and impose your Hindi attitude then someday it's going to backfire largely.

I replied to somebody who said I will rather learn Korean than Hindi, there is a problem with attitude of these kind of people not mine. I'm just stating facts be it Maharashtra, Gujarat, Bengal, Orissa etc etc it will be Hindi that will be useful and not Korean. Nobody is forcing nobody to learn Hindi or any other language it's just insecurity and hate on part of some individual that will backfire and nothing else

You are wrong. Migration is taking place for long. Lot of southerners were in north India, it is only recently (10-15 yrs) that reverse is also taking place, due to rapid IT and other development....
So its better to make mandatory for north Indians to learn any one southern language...do ya agree?

I replied to somebody who said I will rather learn Korean than Hindi, there is a problem with attitude of these kind of people not mine. I'm just stating facts be it Maharashtra, Gujarat, Bengal, Orissa etc etc it will be Hindi that will be useful and not Korean. Nobody is forcing nobody to learn Hindi or any other language it's just insecurity and hate on part of some individual that will backfire and nothing else

This is not about learning this is about imposition.
You can see Hindi boardings and Hindi everything from railways to rupees. So a common Hindi person will be having no trouble but when a common non-speaking Hindi person goes to north India then he must learn it by hook or crook.
But Hindi people don't have such problem...all I'm asking is why this partiality?

Make Hindi people to learn one more Indian language so it equalizes else make all Indian languages common everywhere in India.

Although I'm not in favour of imposing Hindi on all Indians, I do find that the frequent reason given by those Tamilians who refuse to learn Hindi is rather silly. Learning a new language will neither lead us to abandon our own mothertongue nor our local culture and customs.
We won't abandon but it will influence greatly and slowly take-over that's what history dictates.

Last edited:
Problem arises when idiotic things are asked in the name of 'equality of languages' - like using Tamil for 2 rs coin, kannad for 5 rs coin , et all.

Suddenly, they forget that India has hundreds of languages and that we dont have so many coins - at that time they will be comfortable in letting the tribal languages go and stick with major Indian languages for coins/notes/etc - tamil being one of them(coincidentally ofcourse)..!

Tamil in Si Lanka currency

th

Tamil in Singapore coin
th

so why cant Tamil be in Indian coin or notes ?
when Tamil is
a) an international language
2) oldest language in India

We won't abandon but it will influence greatly and slowly take-over that's what history dictates.

I presume many in your household, you included, are proficient in English, yes? So, how many amongst you have started to act like Englishmen?

I presume many in your household, you included, are proficient in English, yes? So, how many amongst you have started to act like Englishmen?
Almost everyone in India trying to act like englishmen starting from the name of BOLLYWOOD

th

Tamil in Singapore coin
th

when Tamil is

Do also present facts on what percentage of Indians in India speak Tamil and where the overwhelming majority are located.

Since Tamil is one of the oldest languages in India, it has to be on the coinage and currency of India? Nice logic! Perhaps we should mint coins in Sanskrit and Tamil then instead of English.

Almost everyone in India trying to act like englishmen starting from the name of BOLLYWOOD

And what about KOLLYWOOD? That makes English movies too? Didn't know Rajnikanth acted like a thoroughbred Englishman with a cockney accent.:coffee:

For everyone here try to understand my point.

This thread is started by a Pakistani trying to troll on the fact that there is no equality for diversity in India which boasts "Unity in Diversity". If India had given equal rights and opportunities to all languages then there wont be bit of space for these foreign evils to use these things for their purpose.

So at last it comes down to unity of India rather Tamil or Hindi..try to understand and work from here for equal rights.

Do also present facts on what percentage of Indians in India speak Tamil and where the overwhelming majority are located.
Since Tamil is one of the oldest languages in India, it has to be on the coinage and currency of India? Nice logic! Perhaps we should mint coins in Sanskrit and Tamil then instead of English.
We are not asking only Tamil in coins. We are asking why can't be other Indian languages in coin why only Hindi? So where is equality?

And what about KOLLYWOOD? That makes English movies too? Didn't know Rajnikanth acted like a thoroughbred Englishman with a cockney accent.
When I said almost every India it included Indian Tamils also isn't it?

Last edited:
We are not asking only Tamil in coins. We are asking why can't be other Indian languages in coin why only Hindi? So where is equality?

I hope you know that there are 22 scheduled languages in India, of which Tamil is a part of, in addition to the two Official Languages of Hindi and English. Now, please tell how, where and in what font are you proposing to write 24 languages on a small coin.

th

Tamil in Singapore coin
th

when Tamil is
Tamil can be the oldest language in the world and it would still make no difference.
There are hundreds of languages in India, if Tamil is included in the coins, then the tribal languages have just as much right of being included.

So, do we include the hundred languages? And bear in mind we dont have so many types of coins.

Secondly, Hindi is spoken by nearly 50% of the Indian population. While Tamil is good for use in Tamil Nadu, all decisions taken by GoI is taken with a view to have maximum possible coverage. Is Tamil a widely spoken language in India? The answer is a resounding no. Its not even the second or third most spoken language in India.

Just because the Tamils hold it in high esteem does not mean that people of Arunachal have to put up with currency in Tamil. Vice versa, if Tamil was the largest spoken language in India, then by default, I would have argued that Tamil should be used in the currency. The idea is to cause inconvenience to the least number of people.

I cannot help it if the Tamils are conflating the concept of 'widest spoken language' with 'value of the language'. As I said before, Tamil is a great language and valuable, so are all the regional languages of India. And GoI must help the States protect and promote those languages...this does not mean forcing every language in India on every citizen of India. Hindi is chosen as the default mode of communication because it covers almost 50% of the people India.

No one is stopping State Govt's from promoting their regional languages...and they have done well in this regard. What is weird is asking for tokenism and symbolism for some Tamils in order to feel less insecure and thereby inconveniencing the rest of the country.

Last edited:
I hope you know that there are 22 scheduled languages in India, of which Tamil is a part of, in addition to the two Official Languages of Hindi and English. Now, please tell how, where and in what font are you proposing to write 24 languages on a small coin.
Not all 24 languages in one coin Mr.genius
Some coins can released as the sign of strength in Unity..like heritage coins.

When I said almost every India it included Indian Tamils also isn't it?
That's where you're wrong. Knowing English hasn't changed us anything in us. We've too moved along with time like the rest of the World. It's a fallacy to think knowledge of a language will negatively influence culture.The Chinese and the Japanese don't speak any foreign language to this day. But are they still in the middle ages because of that?

Back
Top Bottom