What's new

Why Bengali Muslims are exceptional

Just go to Wikipedia and see the percentage of Bengali Muslims Vs the percentage of west Pakistan Muslims who were the founding fathers of Pakistan. I seriously doubt those 2-3 bengali leaders in the movement had any significant weight. Period.

Well I accept your opinion but have not looked into if Bengalis had more significant weight or people in "soon to be West Pakistan" did.

Does it matter?

The ultimate measure is in the fact that Muslim Majority East Bengal wanted to be part of Pakistan, and their leaders however many or however few, were involved.

I'd say there is not enough written or known about Bengali Muslim League leaders post 1971 in Pakistan, that is part of the reason why Pakistanis know so little about this.

I saw this thread and the whole premise of the thread is dubious - we should not drive a wedge between Muslims saying Bengali Muslims were exceptional and other Muslims were not.

The Aligarh Movement pre-dated (and inspired) the Pakistan Movement, that was the spark that formed Pakistan. At that point Indian Muslims came from all different areas, but Aligarh Muslims formed a big part of the Intelligentsia. Calcutta Muslims did too, it was the British Capital of India at the time.

Former East Pakistanis should appreciate the contributions of All India Muslim League (AIML) leaders, whichever ethnicity they were from. I don't believe in this Bengali exceptionalism stuff. Exceptional Muslims are born in every ethnicity, not just within Bengalis.

A significant portion of the East Bengal Intelligentsia and politicians were resident in Calcutta in those days (given that Calcutta was a major trade center and seat of learning), these were partly the descendants of distinguished Dhaka Nawab and Murshidabad Nawab families, many of whom were Bengali speakers. Suhrawardi was mayor of Calcutta, at roughly about the time when he became a Muslim League stalwart and a Jinnah confidant. The Sheikh was Suhrawardi's right hand man.

Suhrawardi and other Bengal Provincial Muslim League (BPML) leaders did become prominent office holders in Early Pakistan and even early Bangladesh history. The first president of Pakistan was a Bengali, Iskander Mirza. This is history.

The posts held by Bengalis in early Pakistan were the Prime Minister of Pakistan (Sir Khawaja Nazimuddin, Mohammad Ali of Bogra, Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy and Nurul Amin), Governor General of Pakistan (Sir Khawaja Nazimuddin), Chief Minister of East Bengal (Sir Khawaja Nazimuddin, Nurul Amin, A. K. Fazlul Huq and Ataur Rahman Khan).

Later some Muslim Leaguers became leaders such as President of Bangladesh (Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Mohammad Mohammadullah and Khondaker Mostaq Ahmad), Vice President of Bangladesh (Syed Nazrul Islam) and Prime Minister of Bangladesh (Sheikh Mujibur Rahman), Tajuddin Ahmad, Muhammad Mansur Ali and Ataur Rahman Khan).

BPML leaders were mostly Bengali speakers (while being somewhat proficient in Urdu), while in West Pakistan, most Muslim League leaders were Urdu-speakers.

The formation of the All India Muslim League (AIML) was in Dhaka in 1906 (Dhaka's Nawab Sir Salimullah Khan was the sponsor). Subsequent meetings were held in Dhaka, Karachi and Lahore.

These are the AIML folks in Dhaka in 1906,

iu

The Lahore resolution of AIML happened in 1940, which was 34 years later.

1665246874884.png

This is from Wiki:

The impact of Aligarh Movement was not confined to the Northern India only, but its expansion could be seen on the other regions of the Indian sub-continent during the 20th century.[76] The annual Educational Conferences held in different parts of the country played an effective role in the promotion of education among Muslims and directly or indirectly influenced the growth of institutes like Aligarh Muslim University, Osmania University, Dacca University, Anjuman-i-Tarqqi Urdu, Jamia Millia Islamia, Dar-ul-Uloom Nadva, Lucknow, and Dar-ul-Musannfafin, Azamgarh.[77] By the early 1900 Aligarh Movement became the progenitor to a number of socio-religious movements like the Urdu movement,[78] the Khilafat Movement[79] and the Pakistan Movement.[80]

Last edited:
Indians and Pakistanis are fighting street battles in Leicester, Birmingham and Manchester.

Soon riot police will be permanently stationed in Indian and Pakistani areas.

They will turn Britain into a war zone as they re fight partition of 1947.

Whilst we Sylhetis watch and shake our heads and occasionally laugh 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

"From 2010 to 2020, Bangladesh achieved the world’s highest cumulative GDP growth"

"It’s a story that’s set to continue, with the Asian Development Bank forecasting GDP growth of 6.9% in 2022 and 7.1% in 2023"

"That involves growing new sectors of the economy to match the success of what’s been achieved in established industries, such as garment manufacturing."

Give BD its own government and it will become an economic engine and in time a technologically advanced powerhouse.

Bangladeshi Muslims are indeed exceptional.
Bangladeshi Muslims are our brothers and one of the least etho nationalist in the world. They are some of the biggest khilafat wanters. They are similar to Pakistani Muslims because majority of Pakistani Muslims are also khilafat wanters. It’s sad our corrupt leaders divided us brothers from each other.
These days many Muslims in Pakistan and Bangladesh are oppressed by their own corrupt governments. We must stay strong against our corrupt leaders.
I’ve never in my life yet seen a Bangladeshi Muslim who hates Pakistanis.
The past is the past now and our corrupt governments for their lust of power were successful in dividing us. Our kaffir mushrik enemy india was successful in dividing us. But little do they know, no borders can divide Muslims especially Pakistani and Bangladeshi Muslims.
In Sha Allah we’ll once again become united in the same country when we Muslims capture all of Hind and create an Islamic country for the whole subcontinent.

Khilafat will be ruled by the Arabs as they will claim exclusive right to rule. They will make themselves the upper class and subject rest of non-Arab Muslims to second class citizenry. Thanks, but no thanks. They can have their khilafat in Arab lands. Muslims of subcontinent should aim for some kind of an alliance.

We only look good as the rest of the region is pretty bad, no offence intended.

Subcontinent throughout history was never advanced or rich but it was Bengal that was rich and technologically advanced, centred on present day BD, that makes anyone think that subcontinent as a whole was ever wealthy.

BD'shis are more on the level of W Europeans and East Asians and simply a cut above anyone else.

I see the wealth in terms of agricultural output. Is there any proof Bengal was advanced ? What metrics do you have for regarding a society as advanced ?

I see the wealth in terms of agricultural output. Is there any proof Bengal was advanced ? What metrics do you have for regarding a society as advanced ?

You have to really get into the Bengal subah proto industrialization metrics and do some serious research. Which I have not.

But it is well accepted among academic circles that Mughal empire produced 25% of global GDP (slightly behind Ming China) well up until 1700s. Which was higher than the entirety of Europe at that time.

And more than 50% portion of that Mughal GDP output (other than agricultural goods produced in Bengal and elsewhere in India), came from coastal shipbuilding conducted and textiles produced in Bengal Subah. Out of all products exported from India, the Dutch were shipping 40% out of Bengal. The Japanese were large importers of Bengal Textiles and Silk while they exported Silver, Gold and Copper bullion for minting Mughal coinage.

Khilafat will be ruled by the Arabs as they will claim exclusive right to rule. They will make themselves the upper class and subject rest of non-Arab Muslims to second class citizenry. Thanks, but no thanks. They can have their khilafat in Arab lands. Muslims of subcontinent should aim for some kind of an alliance.
No. We should strive to create a Khilafat like Rashidun Khilafat was.

Do you know the British used Bengal designed and built ships at Waterloo as they were better than anything the British had?

Bengal also had a textile industry before the British had one.

Please "Google" and you shall see why Bengalis are an anomaly in the region and they can be compared more like W. Europeans and East Asians in terms of being at the peak of human innovation.

Islam was at its majestic during Syrian, North African, Turkish, Persian and Mughal rule.

It fell away when Arabs, with help of British, took the upper hand.

I would rather accept the rule of the devil than accept the rule of filthy Arabs.

Do you know the British used Bengal designed and built ships at Waterloo as they were better than anything the British had?

Bengal also had a textile industry before the British had one.

Please "Google" and you shall see why Bengalis are an anomaly in the region and they can be compared more like W. Europeans and East Asians in terms of being at the peak of human innovation.

please ... British were as advanced at shipbuilding as it got.

You have to really get into the Bengal subah proto industrialization metrics and do some serious research. Which I have not.

But it is well accepted among academic circles that Mughal empire produced 25% of global GDP (slightly behind Ming China) well up until 1700s. Which was higher than the entirety of Europe at that time.

And more than 50% portion of that Mughal GDP output (other than agricultural goods produced in Bengal and elsewhere in India), came from coastal shipbuilding conducted and textiles produced in Bengal Subah. Out of all products exported from India, the Dutch were shipping 40% out of Bengal. The Japanese were large importers of Bengal Textiles and Silk while they exported Silver, Gold and Copper bullion for minting Mughal coinage.

If you are arguing India was 25% of the world's GDP in 1500 I will grant you. India had 25% of the world's population (approximately 100 million) Europe had 61 million people in 1500. North America (Canada + USA) had 3 million American Indians in 1500. Australia had 200,000 Aborgines. Assuming Mughals ruled whole of India which they didn't. By 1700 I would argue West Europeans were ahead of Indians by all metrics -- technology, industries, trade and military

Agricultural output accounted for massive portion of the GDP. Did Bengal have 50% of India's population ? Did Bengal produce 50% of India's agricultural output ? Otherwise you are stretching.
There is a reason Europeans had outposts all over India. The spices are generally produced in Southern India along the West Coast. That is where the money was.

Agricultural output accounted for massive portion of the GDP. Did Bengal have 50% of India's population ? Did Bengal produce 50% of India's agricultural output ? Otherwise you are stretching.
There is a reason Europeans had outposts all over India. The spices are generally produced in Southern India along the West Coast. That is where the money was.

Dude, please stop talking smack.

Bengal had 50% of India's GDP in 1700 which was 25% of the total world.

Bengal was one of the most advanced regions in the world with textile and shipbuilding industries that were all world-leading. It was not just about agriculture.

Yes subcontinent was nothing but Bengal was one of the most advanced and richest regions in the world then along with parts of China. What we are now seeing happening in BD is a slow reversion to its history standing.

We 100% should not.
Trying to impose a pre-industrial, pre-scientific method, pre-globalization method of government on a modern society is an exercise in madness and futility.
It's like saying we should eat every single food with a fork. Soup? fork! sandwich? fork! Ice cream? FORK!
The khalifate was a product of its time and is unworkable in a modern, industrialized society.
Just a tiny tiny tiny example of why it won't work.
Which version of Islam is the Khalifate going to espouse? Suni? Shia? Ismaili? etc.
Hell, lets say it's Suni, okay which version of Suni? Hanafi? Malaki? Salafi?
And these are not "intellectual" questions, these questions have real life affects on people.
For example, Hanafi don't allow shellfish to be eaten. Now if the Khalifa is Hanafi, do we throw everyone who eats shrimp into jail?
See how ridiculous this gets?
The concept is unworkable and a waste of everyone's time.

Khilafah will be taken by Arabs and they will subject all non-arabs to 2nd class citizenry. Under no circumstances will I accept discrimination.
This might be the first time you have said something I agree with.

Go see yourself out of all the founding fathers of Pakistan how many were Bengalis. Hardly 2-3. And no they didn't see this menace. Bengalis were and still culturally way closer to Hindu India than the west Pakistan.
There were Provincial elections in British India in 1946. Please go back and educate yourself of the then history.

It was Bengal that elected a Muslim League govt in Calcutta.

Now, please tell me what was the results in Quetta, Lahore, Karachi, and Peshwar. If I say the truth you will castigate me as a person representing Hindutva. So, it better you yourself educated on the matter and come up with the knowledge in your next posts.

It is wiser not to spit in the sky. It comes down to your own face. The present Pakistanis should be thankful to the Muslims of Bengal for the initiation and struggle to the creation of Pakistan at a time when the then-west Pakistanis were sleeping in the laps of the Sikh, Hindu, and Congress Party.

By the way, Punjabi Muslims love and respect their Sikh Masters. After all, Sikhs enslaved you for more than a Century and they remain your Masters in your heart for taking over land up to Peshwar.

But can you tell us which Hindu ever dominated us except Raja Ganesh for just a few years? He usurped the throne but was forced to convert his son Jitmal to Islam.

Please read history before you again insult the Muslim history of Bengal. You do not have to like it, but better if you read it.

The only ethnic group in South Asia brave enough to forge their own nation.
But, the other half of that ethnic NamaSudra (Nomu) group remains in west Bengal. What are you going to do about those people?

Will you invite them to BD where they can also perform Puja all through the year like you yourself do?

And, no doubt people will declare @Sayfullah as the new Caliph who will usher a reign of more underdevelopment throughout his Muslim Empire.

Not bad for already the most underprivileged group of people.

Back
Top Bottom