What's new

Why aren't Chinese students at UK universities getting top degrees?

Mba1 computering is advanced programming with algorithms, mba2 adds security encryption, making professional projects with everything learnt

Mba2 people are all very well prepared people

Try to understand why people choose 1 year MBA rather than 2 year MBA which according to most Managers and entrepreneurs is a waste of time.

Erm...maybe I don't know UK school very well, but doesn't a MBA typically takes 2 years and can't be done in less than one year even if you take the accelerated program?

I do know engineering. 2 year master degree is considered normal. I haven't heard anyone obtaining Ph.D in less than 2 years unless they have already been in the field and already have the research done. 3 year is considered fast in pretty much all Ph.D program and it can take up to 5 years.

Also, I need to clarify one thing for people who doesn't have graduate school experience----the ultimate factor that decides your graduation date is job availability. Class will be long done before graduation (unless you are doing a non-thesis option and is content with master degree) and your research should be done as well, but you don't (or rather, shouldn't) graduate until you secure a job. I have seen unlucky folk (from computer science) forced to go into post-doc because they couldn't find a job they like.

To be honest, I am surprised anyone would use the number of years it takes to graduate as benchmark for performance, because anything less than graduate degree pretty much have a standard program length. Graduate degree itself is hardly measured by length because different majors have different programs and students themselves will have different aims.

First of all, it's not an "ACCELERATED PROGRAM". For example, a manager who got 5-7 years of experience doesn't require to know basic stuffs like Beginners Marketing for Managers, Accounting Introduction and many more which are in basic level. MBA 1 year will focus more on Entrepreneurship and Leadership and moreover it's Customisable which means you don't have to study all the subjects.

1 year MBA is more managers and entrepreneur who have more than 3-5 years of work experience. 2 year MBA is for guys who don't get a job in Under graduation.

India has one of the lowest PISA test scores. Which proves my point.
Guess, Singapore ranks higher than Hong Kong and Macau. It doesn't mean that they have lower IQ than Singaporeans.

2 countries with Billion people must of Smart and Intelligent people. They are just not exposed during sampling.

Last edited:
1 year MBA is more managers and entrepreneur who have more than 3-5 years of work experience. 2 year MBA is for guys who don't get a job in Under graduation.

I think you need to browse the entry requirements of those 2-year MBA programmes offered by INSEAD, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Penn, Chicago, Iese, Ceibs, HKUST, Kellog, Stern, Haas etc to get an idea

2-year programs are more rigorous and generally harder to get into than 1-year counterparts

Guess, Singapore ranks higher than Hong Kong and Macau. It doesn't mean that they have lower IQ than Singaporeans.

The margin of error between the leading group is small
The difference is more solidly reflected between the leading pack and the bottomers

2 countries with Billion people must of Smart and Intelligent people. They are just not exposed during sampling.

Read the metholodogy used in the test dude. It was not intended to cream the elites of each participating countries in the assessements

Last edited:
The article of the OP is misleading and not exemplary of the quality of our students studying worldwide
Take this as an example even though I dislike the idea of foreign countries absorbing a lot of our students studying there!

Chinese Graduate Students and US Scientific Productivity, Evidence from Chemistry
Patrick Gaule and Mario Piacentini
MIT & University of Geneva
September 2009

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/...322197-1323963921206/Piacentini_Gaule_ppt.pdf

Summary of the results
  • PhD students having a Chinese last and first name publish more during their studies, controlling for the characteristics of the programs they are enrolled in.
  • The productivity gap is higher in recent years. This might be explained by:
- an increase in the relative quality of the Chinese students
- higher motivations due to Visa reasons (decreased proportion of permanent visas)

• Preliminary evidence shows that Chinese students benefit more from having a Chinese PhD supervisor.
  • Results hold in a restricted sample for which Chinese are identified as those having studied in China (thus excluding second generation immigrants).
Robustness checks
  • Results hold when considering other publication-based measures of productivity.
- Notably, Chinese have also an higher number of non-first authored publications.
- The publications of Örst authors with a Chinese name receive more citations

• The tendency of Chinese to have frequent last names might bias the match between student and publication data. However, we show that homonymity does not drive our results.
  • Considering US PhD-granting chemistry departments, 23% of first authors have a Chinese last name. However, only 21.8% of graduate students, 14% of post-doc (roughly) and 6% of professors have Chinese last names.
Conclusion and discussion
  • Chinese graduate students in US chemistry departments have a higher productivity than their colleagues
  • Why?
  • Higher e§ort possibly induced by higher opportunity cost of not succeeding.
Survey evidence showing that Chinese post-doc spend more time in the lab than American post-docs (Sigma Xi survey).
  • More stringent selection process, either in China and to get into the US.

Policy implications

• Our finding strengthens the case that the US are benefiting from the influx of Chinese students.
  • The demand from Chinese for US graduate education will continue to increase as access to higher education in China is expanding. US Universities could benefit from strengthened ties with Chinese higher education institutions.

Last edited:
The article of the OP is misleading and not exemplary of the quality of our students studying worldwide
Take this as an example even though I dislike the idea of foreign countries absorbing a lot of our students studying there!

Chinese Graduate Students and US Scientific Productivity, Evidence from Chemistry
Patrick Gaule and Mario Piacentini
MIT & University of Geneva
September 2009

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/...322197-1323963921206/Piacentini_Gaule_ppt.pdf

Summary of the results
  • PhD students having a Chinese last and first name publish more during their studies, controlling for the characteristics of the programs they are enrolled in.
  • The productivity gap is higher in recent years. This might be explained by:
- an increase in the relative quality of the Chinese students
- higher motivations due to Visa reasons (decreased proportion of permanent visas)

• Preliminary evidence shows that Chinese students benefit more from having a Chinese PhD supervisor.
  • Results hold in a restricted sample for which Chinese are identified as those having studied in China (thus excluding second generation immigrants).
Robustness checks
  • Results hold when considering other publication-based measures of productivity.
- Notably, Chinese have also an higher number of non-first authored publications.
- The publications of Örst authors with a Chinese name receive more citations

• The tendency of Chinese to have frequent last names might bias the match between student and publication data. However, we show that homonymity does not drive our results.
  • Considering US PhD-granting chemistry departments, 23% of first authors have a Chinese last name. However, only 21.8% of graduate students, 14% of post-doc (roughly) and 6% of professors have Chinese last names.
Conclusion and discussion
  • Chinese graduate students in US chemistry departments have a higher productivity than their colleagues
  • Why?
  • Higher e§ort possibly induced by higher opportunity cost of not succeeding.
Survey evidence showing that Chinese post-doc spend more time in the lab than American post-docs (Sigma Xi survey).

• More stringent selection process, either in China and to get into the US.
Policy implications

• Our finding strengthens the case that the US are benefiting from the influx of Chinese students.
  • The demand from Chinese for US graduate education will continue to increase as access to higher education in China is expanding. US Universities could benefit from strengthened ties with Chinese higher education institutions.
I would not take the article too seriously. Marketing surveys are more reliable. A total of 100 students used for this sample size hardly representation of reality. (Referring to OP's article).

I would not take the article too seriously. Marketing surveys are more reliable. A total of 100 students used for this sample size hardly representation of reality. (Referring to OP's article).

I agree
However you can see all the moronic uneducated comments bashing China with wilful intents above
In the realms of statistics there are calculations which make adjustments for small sized samples.
But 100 is too awfully small to be of representative value
Also the sample base was severely biased.for being not comprehensive enough
Our students mostly enroll in math and media at post grad level not finance and accounting in undergrad level

There are now almost as many Chinese students on postgraduate courses at English universities as British students
23% of students doing full-time taught masters degrees in England are Chinese, with 26% from the UK

Students from China are particularly dominant in maths and media studies
Number of foreign postgrad students fell for the first time in decades

By HUGO GYE
PUBLISHED: 08:35 GMT, 2 April 2014
Read more: Almost as many Chinese graduate students in England as British ones | Mail Online

Last edited:
If you are a proud Chinese, why don't you put Chinese flag there ? Or if you have already become Canada citizen, why do you still speak as if you are Chinese ?

He is not the only one. Many Chinese come here with false flags. It gives them a sense of security because then they can hide behind a false identity. Some of the other Chinese false flaggers who are currently active are @sincity @Götterdämmerung @eazzy etc. There have been many though, some are banned some inactive.

Chinese students that I have met in the US seem to be doing quite OK. Not sure what the problem with UK. They struggle with English early on but eventually they pick it up. They do however like to form groups with other Chinese students but I guess that's basic human nature.

The reason for the sample selection is given right there.

To understand the underlying factors which affect the attainment of Chinese and UK undergraduates, one must select a sample containing a substantial number of Chinese students. Clearly, Chinese students prefer business related subjects, with 50% who studied a first degree in UK higher education majoring in business in 2008/9 (Iannelli and Huang 2013). Accounting and Finance programmes, part of business studies, seem to be the most popular amongChinese students2 (Wang 2009).

Sub par research are for sub par readers. Most Chinese undergrad students go for science and engineering due to 1) strong maths background 2) strong English skill is not required. MBA program being the exception.

Last edited:
He is not the only one. Many Chinese come here with false flags. It gives them a sense of security because then they can hide behind a false identity. Some of the other Chinese false flaggers who are currently active are @sincity @Götterdämmerung @eazzy etc. There have been many though, some are banned some inactive.

Chinese students that I have met in the US seem to be doing quite OK. Not sure what the problem with UK. They struggle with English early on but eventually they pick it up. They do however like to form groups with other Chinese students but I guess that's basic human nature.

Why the fag you invited me to your comment? I'm not your friend or your groupies, don't reply to me when I'm not comment or concern in this topic. You should go raped someone and don't send any notice to me when you have an opinion on anything.

English skills are lacking compared to Indians coming from abroad but they are hard workers for sure.

Why the fag you invited me to your comment? I'm not your friend or your groupies, don't reply to me when I'm not comment or concern in this topic. You should go raped someone and don't send any notice to me when you have an opinion on anything.

You should get some English lessons. You sound like someone straight from Hunan.

You should get some English lessons. You sound like someone straight from Hunan.

What I should or shouldn't do not your fag problem, you're opinion don't matter to me why the fag you invite me to read your freaking opinion.

The OP is bullshit. End of.

It's like questioning why Blacks are not getting top rankings in Tracks and Fields by showing the rankings of 1 dozen Afro High Jump participants in the heats of 19th Common Wealth Games... :lol: It requires a ridiculous amount of leaps of faiths coming to that conclusion.

On a side note, for self-claimed Indian English-language gurus here in the thread, while you're gloating at sirring each other have you lot figured out indoor-plumbing technologies already? :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom