What's new

Who's taking NA-55?

^^^^^^^

listen to Nawaz Sharif and Shakeel Awan. They are still not sparing shiek rashid. Nawaz Sharif will not now make allience with him.

^^^^^^^

listen to Nawaz Sharif and Shakeel Awan. They are still not sparing shiek rashid. Nawaz Sharif will not now make allience with him.

That’s Sheikh success, he has brought “national leader” Nawaz Sharif to his constituency level.

As far as I am concerned, I don't care who won against SR was from PML(N), or any other party; for me more important is that SR lost. He was one of the staunchest supporter of the former dictator and his loss is the loss of the dictator and all the dictator lovers. Marg bar dictator and marg bar dictator supporters.

At least for me it was sad that son of Waris Mir who has somewhat maintained impartial image as an anchor became a party in this election
This is more because of buhgz e Muawiah than for the Hub e Ali. Prof. Waris Mir's son, Hamid Mir was/is a big opposer of dictatorship, hence in this case he was not supporting anybody rather apposing the remanence of the dictatorship.

Last edited:
It is “between the devil and deep sea” I hate Sheeda tuli because of his filthiest language against BB but I can’t isolate Nawaz from him. In those days Sheeda tuli was a “barking dog” (excuse my language) for PML/IJI (I would say all right wing forces)

Now Hamid Mir was biased, at least I would say this, he should have heighted the deeds of PMLN.

Also he has always claimed to have support of our “real rulers” what happened now. Did those people left him alone to swim or sink?

Wats the official result , has Sheikh Rasheed Really lost ...?My mind is still in denial ..!

Sheikh Rashid routed in Pindi by-polls
Thursday, February 25, 2010
By Saeed Ahmed

RAWALPINDI: PML-N candidate Malik Shakeel Awan defeated the Rawalpindi heavyweight and chief of the Awami Muslim League Sheikh Rashid by a big margin in the NA-55 by-polls held here on Wednesday.

The margin of victory was beyond expectations as political pundits, experts, analysts and the people had expected a close finish. According to unofficial results, of the total 250 polling stations, Shakeel Awan secured 77,309 votes while his closest rival Sheikh Rashid got 48,222 from 235 constituencies. Dr Mohammad Kamal remained in the third place by securing 7,524 votes followed by PTI candidate Ejaz Khan Jazi, who could muster only 4,000 votes. Sheikh Rashid failed to win despite being backed by the PML-Q and the PPP tacitly.

The winner, Shakeel Awan, thanked the people for reposing confidence in him and making him victorious against a seasoned politician like Sheikh Rashid. During his election campaign, the AML chief had been telling people to vote for the real representative of NA-55.

“The people have now chosen me as the real representativeof NA-55. I would make it a model constituency,” he said. Sheikh Rashid has won from this constituency six times but was defeated in the February 2008 elections. Had he not been backed by the PPP and the Q-League this time, he would have polled still fewer votes. Shakeel Awan says he would have defeated Sheikh Rashid by a margin of 100,000 votes had the PPP and the PML-Q not supported his rival.

Sensing defeat, Sheikh Rashid alleged rigging even in the early phase of polling and refused to meet media persons, who went to the Lal Haveli to get his comments. Later, a dejected and disappointed Sheikh Rashid addressed newsmen in the Lal Haveli and accepted defeat. “I have no personal difference with anyone, only political.” He again alleged poll rigging. He vowed to continue his politics as the AML chief and termed the media, both print and electronic, his friend.

Immediately after the announcement of unofficial results, leaders, workers and activists of the PML-N came out on the streets and danced in jubilation to express joy over the victory of Shakeel Awan. Later, Nawaz Sharif visited the main election office of Shakeel Awan in Rawalpindi and congratulated him on his success.

Addressing hundreds of people gathered outside the office, Nawaz Sharif said Shakeel Awan has defeated one of the thieves of Ali Baba. The people of Rawalpindi have rejected the politics of hypocrisy, he said. Nawaz claimed if the PPP and the PML-Q had not supported Sheikh Rashid, the margin of Shakeel’s victory would have been much bigger. According to the Election Commission, the voters’ turnout was more than 50 per cent.

Sheikh Rashid routed in Pindi by-polls

For Rashid PML-N win is Pindi’s defeat

RAWALPINDI: Awami Muslim League (AML) President Sheikh Rashid Ahmed termed the results of Wednesday’s by-election a “victory for Punjab police” and defeat of the city residents.

Speaking at a news conference late on Wednesday, the runner-up accused the provincial government of massive rigging, alleging that police had impounded vehicles for the PML-N’s election campaign.

Mr Ahmed said his polling agents were barred from entering the polling stations.

According to him, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) was totally helpless against the Punjab government, and complained that it did not take action against the local administration for violating the election rules.

“All political parties should learn a lesson from this by-election,” the AML chief said, adding that “I would not challenge the results in any court of law, though I am 100 per cent sure of rigging.”

He said his supporters had caught a local magistrate casting fake vote to PML-N candidate, but the entire local administration and Punjab police came to his rescue.

Meanwhile, Pakistan Tehrik-i-Insaf (PTI) candidate Ijaz Khan Jazi told Dawn that votes obtained by the winning PML-N candidate, Malik Shakeel Awan, were beyond anybody’s expectation. He described the results as “pre-planned”.

Victory in NA-55 harbinger of change: Nawaz

RAWALPINDI: Pakistan Muslim League (PML-N) chief Nawaz Sharif on Wednesday thanked the residents of Rawalpindi city for expressing confidence in him in the by-polls and said their decision would bring a ‘change’ in the country.

Addressing party workers after the announcement of the victory of the PML-N candidate Malik Shakeel Awan at Liaquat Road, Mr Sharif said it was the victory of the people as his party candidate had contested the by-election against the PPP, the PML-Q and ‘Ali Baba’ (referring to former President Pervez Musharraf).

He said people of Rawalpindi had rejected the politics of disloyalty and hypocrisy. He pledged that his party would root out politics of status quo after coming into power at the centre.

Mr Sharif said he wanted to bring a revolutionary change in the country in accordance with the vision of Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah. He said he would bring a revolution in terms of solidarity and prosperity in the country.

Meanwhile, PML-N workers and supporters poured on to the streets to celebrate the victory of the party. They gathered at the main office of Mr Awan at Liaquat Road in front of Gordon College and danced to drumbeats flashing victory signs.

They hugged each other and distributed sweets as a sign of jubilation. The PML-N activists were chanting slogans like ‘Nawaz Sharif Wazir-i-Azam’.

The sloganeering got intensified upon the unexpected arrival of Nawaz Sharif at the venue. The supporters showered rose petals on Mr Sharif and distributed sweets to express their joy over the victory.

The PML-N workers also opened fire into the air without any hindrance. Youngsters showed stunts on motorcycles. They took a round of the city on the bikes after removing the silencers and on cars mostly decorated with party flags.

Earlier in the day, voters went to polling stations in a large number amid tight security. Unofficial estimates put the turnout at 30-35 per cent against 11 per cent in the June 26, 2008, by-election in the constituency.

Political observers attributed the big turnout to the presence of Sheikh Rashid Ahmed in the field. They said the turnout was low during the last by-polls as the PML-N and PPP had good working relations and political heavyweights like Sheikh Rashid were not in the fray.

They said PML-N did not want to lose the seat after its defeat in the Mansehra by-election. This was the reason Mr Sharif came to Rawalpindi to boost public support for his candidate.

Other parties’ heads like JI’s Munawar Hassan and PTI’s Imran Khan also ran the election campaign of their candidates.

During a visit to some polling stations by this reporter, the presiding officers said polling staff had resumed their duties at 8am. At majority of the polling stations, however, the first vote was polled after 9am.

Sheikh Rashid cast his vote at Ziaul Uloom polling station close to his residence Lal Haveli where he grabbed the maximum votes (432).

Afterwards, he became busy in calling his campaign sponsors directing them to pull voters from their respective wards. His supporters also caught a Patwari casting fake vote in favour of PML-N candidate.

Business activity in the area remained halted as main markets, bazaars and shopping centres like Raja Bazaar, Moti Bazaar, Namak Mandi, Kashmiri Bazaar, Iqbal Road, Jinnah Road, Liaquat Road, Bara Market, Sabzi Mandi, Sarafa Bazaar, Urdu Bazaar, Benazir Bhutto Road, Bank Road and Haider Road etc., were closed. Transport was also thin creating problems for office goers especially to Islamabad.

The voters were in a festive mood as there was a lot of activity in and around the polling stations. Supporters of the AML and the PML-N also took out a rally on motorbikes in the afternoon to express support for their candidates.

Due to security concerns, most of the foreign election observers visited the polling stations early in the morning and interacted with voters.

Sheikh Rasheed accepts defeat as final results awaited
—I will not file any complaint in ECP despite Punjab govt’s rigging

RAWALPINDI: The Awami National Party chief, Sheikh Rasheed Ahmed has accepted his defeat in the by-polls in NA-55, accusing his rivals of committing "pre-planned and scientific rigging" in the election.
"Despite knowing that what happened in the polling stations and how the government machinery was used to cast fake votes, I am not going to file any complaint in the Election Commission. I am a political worker and will face the situation myself with courage," Ahmed told a news conference at his residence.
"I won't consult the Election Commission because I've no faith in it. It is powerless before the Punjab government," he said, charging the PML-N-led provincial government of directly interfering and rigging in the polls.
"I lost the election, but not my courage," he said. "Rigging, oppression and the Punjab Police won the elections, while the people of Rawalpindi faced defeat," he said.

BTW.. who will represent those 60 thousand votes which SR secured?
Why is media and election commision hiding detailed result statisitcs?
How many votes other candidates bag?
How many voters never vote?

In any case Pakistan's election process is inherintly corupt and fair elections are subject to voluntary will of rulers of time.

Can some one answer me why electoral rolls are missing from the website of election commission? Election Commission of Pakistan - The Official Website

Any how SR was a patriotic guy and i respect him for respecting P.Musharraf.
Fact is....what he did for Pindi, PML-N/PPP cannot do in next 100 years.

Back
Top Bottom