What's new

Who is your favorite general ?

Thanks for the map. What's your view on the Majapahit Empire?

did ur Khalid bin waleed..????

u have good knowledge for indian.history...
rajendra chola was the greatest ruler of chola empire in south india...

What i like about Emperor Chandra Gupta Maurya is that he was not a megamelomanic who wanted to stay on the throne till death. His abducation led to the rise of a more potent successor, Emperor Ashoka the Great.

Thanks for the map. What's your view on the Majapahit Empire?

What i like about Emperor Chandra Gupta Maurya is that he was not a megamelomanic who wanted to stay on the throne till death. His abducation led to the rise of a more potent successor, Emperor Ashoka the Great.
ashoka was his grandson.....not son...and he sat on thrown after 18 year of chandragupta maurya..
chandragupta became a jain monk and did penance in his last days of life...where as ashoka after the battle of kalinga became Buddhist...

ashoka was his grandson.....not son...and he sat on thrown after 18 year of chandragupta maurya..
chandragupta became a jain monk and did penance in his last days of life...where as ashoka after the battle of kalinga became Buddhist...

Yes, I know that he was the grandson. But in my humble opinion, Ashoka did more than his father by extending the borders of his grandfather's empire. That and was the one who conquered Kalinga ...something that his father and grandfather were incapable of doing.

It is indeed interesting to know that Chandra Gupta Maurya and Ashoka converted to other religions. I personally think that the adoption and utilization of the concept of Deva Rajah was perfect ...especially in a situation when one ruled such a vast array.

The Cambodian Kings would also utilize that concept of Deva Rajah,...Divine King...

General(retd) Pervez Musharraf.
Pervez+Musharraf.jpg

Favorite is Apathy ;)

After that I would have to say Robert E. Lee, a Confederate officer during the US Civil War (he actually didn't agree with the South splitting from the North, but was loyal to his home state.)

This is a quote of someone describing him during a speech in 1874:

"He was a foe without hate; a friend without treachery; a soldier without cruelty; a victor without oppression, and a victim without murmuring. He was a public officer without vices; a private citizen without wrong; a neighbour without reproach; a Christian without hypocrisy, and a man without guile. He was a Caesar, without his ambition; Frederick, without his tyranny; Napoleon, without his selfishness, and Washington, without his reward."

Favorite is Apathy ;)

After that I would have to say Robert E. Lee, a Confederate officer during the US Civil War (he actually didn't agree with the South splitting from the North, but was loyal to his home state.)

This is a quote of someone describing him during a speech in 1874:

"He was a foe without hate; a friend without treachery; a soldier without cruelty; a victor without oppression, and a victim without murmuring. He was a public officer without vices; a private citizen without wrong; a neighbour without reproach; a Christian without hypocrisy, and a man without guile. He was a Caesar, without his ambition; Frederick, without his tyranny; Napoleon, without his selfishness, and Washington, without his reward."

I am very fond of General Lee. I actually visited his grave in Arlington , Virginia.

Yes, I know that he was the grandson. But in my humble opinion, Ashoka did more than his father by extending the borders of his grandfather's empire. That and was the one who conquered Kalinga ...something that his father and grandfather were incapable of doing.

It is indeed interesting to know that Chandra Gupta Maurya and Ashoka converted to other religions. I personally think that the adoption and utilization of the concept of Deva Rajah was perfect ...especially in a situation when one ruled such a vast array.

The Cambodian Kings would also utilize that concept of Deva Rajah,...Divine King...
hmm...now.u said that of conversation but Buddhism and Jainism are all offshoots of Hinduism and and not different.... but contains only.a part of ideas of Hinduism...
atleast in india they are not considered in much difference..
at that time it was the time of clash of ideas and Buddhism and Jainism was a evolving concept.... u will be surprised to know that after ashoka engraved the teachings on rock edicts and pillars(iron and rock) ..it contains teaching of Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism....
he gave the fist citizens charter of world and even he had made animal laws...

hmm...now.u said that of conversation but Buddhism and Jainism are all offshoots of Hinduism and and not different.... but contains only.a part of ideas of Hinduism...
atleast in india they are not considered in much difference..
at that time it was the time of clash of ideas and Buddhism and Jainism was a evolving concept.... u will be surprised to know that after ashoka engraved the teachings on rock edicts and pillars(iron and rock) ..it contains teaching of Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism....
he gave the fist citizens charter of world and even he had made animal laws...

Indeed he was a model ruler. He would be emulated by other Kings in South East Asia; per se Indravarma the Great, Suryavarman the Great (all two are Cambodian Emperors of the Khmer Empire).

Even the Ayudhayan Empire of present Day Thailand also emulated the concept of Deva Rajah, which originated in India.

Indeed he was a model ruler. He would be emulated by other Kings in South East Asia; per se Indravarma the Great, Suryavarman the Great (all two are Cambodian Emperors of the Khmer Empire).

Even the Ayudhayan Empire of present Day Thailand also emulated the concept of Deva Rajah, which originated in India.
yes....many Cambodian and other east asian rulers emulated the Indian concept of dev rajah...
but here is something interesting about ashoka....he was one the most cruelest king till date in early Indian history....he killed all his brothers for thrown...he build a well and torture areana in his capital....patliputra ...the well is still there were people were thrown and dumped after torturing.... after this act he became famous ny the name of "chanda ashoka" means devil ashoka ..and he named his torture methods as hell on earth....
but at last he changed ....
he used to call.himself devanmpiya piyadassi ...means beloved of gods and loved by all

I've always been rather fond of Field Marshal Ervin Rommel - Perhaps the greatest cavalry commander of contemporary times !

Hands down my favorite of WWII. A brilliant tactician and tank warfare strategist, what he was able to accomplish during the El Alamein battles, as well as Alam El Halfa, is legendary. Around 80% of the water and ammunition re-supply efforts were destroyed. The allies were unloading wave after wave of tanks and infantry, while he received almost nothing towards the end of his North Africa campaign.

Hands down my favorite of WWII. A brilliant tactician and tank warfare strategist, what he was able to accomplish during the El Alamein battles, as well as Alam El Halfa, is legendary. Around 80% of the water and ammunition re-supply efforts were destroyed. The allies were unloading wave after wave of tanks and infantry, while he received almost nothing towards the end of his North Africa campaign.

What's your opinion on Montgomery vs Patton?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom