What's new

Who are the Arain?

@Chak Bamu early saturday/sunday breakfast at Goga naqeebia of Nan-channay/ Halwaa poori with friends and morning walks at model town park ( If i'm not wrong it is called nawaz sharif park) . Those were golden days of University life. After graduating I came to Qatar last year

Back in Qatar?

Nawaz Sharif park is the long one along Ferozepur Rd. Model Town park is the one in the middle of Model Town - it used to be a waste land full of shrub and wild trees. It was turned into a park in mid-80s. It have witnessed its flourishing. Now it is one of the best parks for walks and jogs. A bit too crowded on Sunday late afternoons & evenings. Many young guys come for poondi, and it being Lahore, they are never disappointed.

Anyways, I love being in Lahore and I love Model Town park. It never fails to please me with memories of adolescence and youth.

Lo ji, now we can claim to be one of the lost tribes of Bani-Israel. That would explain our proximity to Pashtuns as well.

Bro, there are many theories. I do not take any of them seriously. Many Muslims of India had this fetish of somehow claiming descent from Ashraaf. In this day and age, it is meaningless.

Islam discourages differentiation based on caste, color, origin, etc...

Arain, Hindu in India :: Joshua Project
Arain, Sikh in India :: Joshua Project

As far as i understand the tribe is pre-islamic
Islam does discourage caste color and creed but they are still a major identity amongst Muslims till date

I guess Shareef biradrans are Kashmiris not lohars. And I am certainly not a Lohar but i know an interesting theory about Lohars aka Mughals :)

Nothing serious meray bhai. So, you lived in Lahore? Any panga with Arains?

Arain, Hindu in India :: Joshua Project
Arain, Sikh in India :: Joshua Project

As far as i understand the tribe is pre-islamic
Islam does discourage caste color and creed but they are still a major identity amongst Muslims till date

Yeah, those are very small numbers. I knew that some exist in Indian Punjab. But it is entirely a mystery to me as to how they came to be? See Rajputs, Jats, and Gujars (?) are pretty divided among Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs (Not too sure about Gujjars though, but a sound guess). Arains are almost exclusively Muslim. I can guess that there might be somewhere between 20 to 50 million Arains. It is considered to be one of the largest biradaries (if not the largest). There is some genetic component too. It might be interesting project to work on that and find any link of different populations, especially non-Muslim ones.

Identity is important. There is nothing wrong with celebrating one's identity. Problem occurs once prejudice and pride creeps in. There is factor of self-respect and ideas of nobility that may differentiate among different castes / professions. That could be understandable on a practical level when it comes to marriage and relations, etc... Punjabis typically look at caste and goths (clans) to guess the level of respectability in conjunction with apparent wealth. That is just a reflection of it.

@Chak Bamu

Arain ghanday kai, pooka koryiaan. Arian ne maraya paad te fauja gayan paaj.

:lol:

I was just waiting for this one to come along.... :p:

Yeah, those are very small numbers. I knew that some exist in Indian Punjab. But it is entirely a mystery to me as to how they came to be? See Rajputs, Jats, and Gujars (?) are pretty divided among Muslims, Hindus, and Sikhs (Not too sure about Gujjars though, but a sound guess). Arains are almost exclusively Muslim. I can guess that there might be somewhere between 20 to 50 million Arains. It is considered to be one of the largest biradaries (if not the largest). There is some genetic component too. It might be interesting project to work on that and find any link of different populations, especially non-Muslim ones.
If i am not wrong mostly converted to sikhism at time of sikh empire
there are around 20,000 sikh and 200,000 hindu's arian

Identity is important. There is nothing wrong with celebrating one's identity. Problem occurs once prejudice and pride creeps in. There is factor of self-respect and ideas of nobility that may differentiate among different castes / professions. That could be understandable on a practical level when it comes to marriage and relations, etc... Punjabis typically look at caste and goths (clans) to guess the level of respectability in conjunction with apparent wealth. That is just a reflection of it.
More than self-respect it is bondness
A punjabi parents won't be comfortable in wedding their daughter to a Baluch because of different upbringing and culuture
It is majorly leads to divorces or family disputes

I was just waiting for this one to come along.... :p:

There is no such thing as a Hindu or Sikh Arain.

There is no such thing as a Hindu or Sikh Arain.

I suspect so myself. It could be a copy-cat operation. People calling themselves Arain to hide seemingly inferior origins. Or it could be a linguistic accident. Another theory could be that some people could have been converted under duress. But then Muslims typically do not accept that. One forum member @Butchcassidy has ancestors who were Muslims from around Narowal and converted to Sikhism few generations back. I am not saying that he is an Arain or something, just pointing out.

I suspect so myself. It could be a copy-cat operation. People calling themselves Arain to hide seemingly inferior origins. Or it could be a linguistic accident. Another theory could be that some people could have been converted under duress. But then Muslims typically do not accept that. One forum member @Butchcassidy has ancestors who were Muslims from around Narowal and converted to Sikhism few generations back. I am not saying that he is an Arain or something, just pointing out.
Most East Punjabis don't even know what an Arain is, and I doubt they are hiding they fake low caste people because the Chamar community here are quite outspoken and some are proud of it so I doubt that. Also it's impossible to fake your caste in our society considering how seriously it is taken, especially in rural areas. The concept of faking caste is unheard off.

Most East Punjabis don't even know what an Arain is, and I doubt they are hiding they fake low caste people because the Chamar community here are quite outspoken and some are proud of it so I doubt that. Also it's impossible to fake your caste in our society considering how seriously it is taken, especially in rural areas. The concept of faking caste is unheard off.

Just making some guesstimates, don't get too serious. Perhaps you can attempt an explanation?

I am a Muslim first, then a Pakistan, then something else. You can call me whatever you wish, but my ancestors have always married Arain women, and I guess about a dozen generations have passed. Like I told you, adoption of a tribe by an individual, family or clan is an accepted practice among Semites, and apparently among those who would like to consider themselves Semites.

The village of Chak Bamu was founded by my Jat ancestor, but it was a village of Arains. Genetics plays absolutely no role in my identity.
Jat ??? which one ???

The equivalent to arain in east punjab would be sainis or kamboj. They r the same as jats except that jats grow wheat and arain were into vegetables and stuff. Rest all this superior inferior thing is rubbish. Whoever is in power is superior. Jalandhar and ludhiana used to be their stronghold before 47 and used to adhere to the policies of majlis e ahrar.

The equivalent to arain in east punjab would be sainis or kamboj. They r the same as jats except that jats grow wheat and arain were into vegetables and stuff. Rest all this superior inferior thing is rubbish. Whoever is in power is superior. Jalandhar and ludhiana used to be their stronghold before 47 and used to adhere to the policies of majlis e ahrar.

Sorry, but they are not equivalent to us.

Back
Top Bottom