What's new

Which language do you use to talk to your siblings?

Konkani, English and Hindi. I am a Ethnic Goan from coastal Karnataka, My mother tongue is Konkani. I speak Konkani with my wife, daughter and Parents.

You differentiate Haryana and Punjab? Not too long ago Haryana was part of Punjab!
Yes I know.
They are different culturally and they speak different languages.
The differences aren’t massive, but are surely there.
Personally, having seen both up close, I see a stark divide when it comes to some things.

Yes I know.
They are different culturally and they speak different languages.
The differences aren’t massive, but are surely there.
Personally, having seen both up close, I see a stark divide when it comes to some things.

Haryanvis are one of the bhayya hindi speaking people. Being part of punjab province during british times doesn't mean any sh1t, even modern KPK was also part of Punjab province before 1905, by that logic should people of KPK also be called "Punjabi", off course not. Punjabis are only those people who speak punjabi language as their mother language and practice the associated culture. The cultures are always associated with the language, the core of punjabi language and culture lies in Lahore, Amritsar, Gurdaspur, Sialkot and Gujranwala. Even Jalandhar, Lundhiana, hushiyarpur etc. also have corrupted form of punjabi language and culture not pure.

punjabi.jpg

Last edited:
Haryanvis are one of the bhayya hindi speaking people. Being part of punjab province during british times doesn't mean any sh1t, even modern KPK was also part of Punjab province before 1905, by that logic people KPK should also be called "Punjabi". Punjabi are only those people who speak punjabi language as their mother language and practice the associated culture. The cultures are always associated with the language, the core of punjabi language and culture lies in Lahore, Amritsar, Gurdaspur, Sialkot and Gujranwala. Even Jalandhar, Lundhiana, hushiyarpur etc. have corrupted form of punjabi language and culture not pure.
Haryana is not a bhayya hindi state. Haryanvi is their language, not Hindi, not Punjabi.
The states you refer to as the Bhayya states are the are Bihar, MP, UP etc.

Yes a Punjabi person is the one whose mother tongue is Punjabi.
I don’t agree with Punjabi not being pure in the cities you mentioned. The dialects and culture is non uniform due to the massive size of the Punjab both in terms of geography and population. Sure majhhi is the most ‘correct’ per se, each dialect is its own flavor of the maboli. I see nothing wrong with it. To each their own, I say this coming from a Lahori background.

Haryana is not a bhayya hindi state. Haryanvi is their language, not Hindi, not Punjabi.
The states you refer to as the Bhayya states are the are Bihar, MP, UP etc.

Yes a Punjabi person is the one whose mother tongue is Punjabi.
I don’t agree with Punjabi not being pure in the cities you mentioned. The dialects and culture is non uniform due to the massive size of the Punjab both in terms of geography and population. Sure majhhi is the most ‘correct’ per se, each dialect is its own flavor of the maboli. I see nothing wrong with it. To each their own, I say this coming from a Lahori background.

I cannot say about Lahoris but I being from Gujranwala, I am very fanatic about grammar of our local dialect.

It matters for me to say "Assi othay gayay saan" instead of impure/corrupted grammar of jalandhar/ludhiana "Assi odar gayay si"

or "Oh othay gayay sann" instead of impure/corrupted grammar of jalandhar/ludhiana "oh odar gayay si".

Or "tu kithay gaya saiyn" instead of impure/corrupted grammar of jalandhar/ludhiana "tu kithay gaya si".

I cannot say about Lahoris but I being from Gujranwala, I am very fanatic about grammar of our local dialect.

It matters for me to say "Assi othay gayay saan" instead of impure/corrupted grammar of jalandhar/ludhiana "Assi odar gayay si"

or "Oh othay gayay sann" instead of impure/corrupted grammar of jalandhar/ludhiana "oh odar gayay si".

Or "tu kithay gaya saiyn" instead of impure/corrupted grammar of jalandhar/ludhiana "tu kithay gaya si".
:raise: I use "si" though I think I just copied my cousin rather than knowing which is right :ashamed:

Haryanvis are one of the bhayya hindi speaking people. Being part of punjab province during british times doesn't mean any sh1t, even modern KPK was also part of Punjab province before 1905, by that logic should people of KPK also be called "Punjabi", off course not. Punjabis are only those people who speak punjabi language as their mother language and practice the associated culture. The cultures are always associated with the language, the core of punjabi language and culture lies in Lahore, Amritsar, Gurdaspur, Sialkot and Gujranwala. Even Jalandhar, Lundhiana, hushiyarpur etc. also have corrupted form of punjabi language and culture not pure.

View attachment 561449
What culture goes with Punjabi?

:raise: I use "si" though I think I just copied my cousin rather than knowing which is right :ashamed:

What culture goes with Punjabi?

The culture of the rural areas of the region that I have highlighted in post #127. According to me culture cannot be described in words it can only be felt, so you have to be there to feel it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom