What's new

Which language do you use to talk to your siblings?

If the Punjabi spoken in Gujranwala is different from ours

I think only English is correct answer

Yes it is different than jhang/chinyot, our language is more or less same as the langauge spoken in Lahore with minor differences here and there. However I can often see some influences of "jangli" on the language of the indigenous people of Gujranwala particularly of western Gujranwala but it is still negligible in my view. For example unlike Lahore, we in Gujranwala freely use words like "Assan" and "Tussan" in addition to "Assi" and "Tussi". When I was studying in Lahore I noticed that native lahoris never use "Assan" or "Tussan" but always stick to "Assi" and "Tussi", so that is a clear influence of Jangli on our accent. Similarly indigenous people of Gujranwala use the word "Thalra" (means neeche wala) which in Lahore area is used as "Thallay wala", we also use "Thallay wala" but "Thalra" and "Thalri" is unique to us so much so that when I was in Lahore and used this word "Thalra", one of lahori guy asked me why do I use "saraiki" word in my punjabi, I said it is our own indigenous word in Gujranwala, there is nothing saraiki in it. In some rural areas of North west Gujranwala bordering Hafizabad people can often also use words like "Murr" and "Phadna" instead of "Pharna" which are again clear influence of neighboring Jangli on their accents. Another example of influence of Jangli on our punjabi language in Gujranwala is that we often use the word combination like "Hain" instead of "hay nay" in sentences like "Meray kol paisay hain" instead of "Meray kol paisay hay nay".

Another interesting thing that I noticed was that I as a Gujranwaliya frequently replace "Ga" , "Ge", "Gi" at the end of punjabi future sentences with "Da", "De", "Di", like these example

Pure Punjabi----- Jadon oh aun ge
me --------- Jadon oh aun de

Pure Punjabi------ Bill kadon jama karwawain ga
me ------- Bill kadon jama karwawain da

I never saw anyone other than Gujranwala frequently changing "Ga", "Ge" in future sentences with "Da", "De" etc until I watched this dance/song video from Jhang where the background singer is also confusing "Ga" with "Da", so I believe this is also an influence from Jangli on our language in Gujranwla. Notice the pronunciation of "Ga" as "Da" by the singer in the following video from Jhang, "Oye tu tan wafa karain da"

Just for reference this is how we speak punjabi language in Gujranwla like this old guy in the following video,

Last edited:
The word he is using is ha
Javain ha. karain ha etc

Then this means replacing "Ga", "Ge" with "Da" , "De" in future tense of punjabi frequently is unique to Gujranwala only.

We use haithla
Haith for nechay

In Gujranwala we use both "Thallay wala" or "Haithan", but "Haithan" is now considered "old fashioned" and is phasing out among new generation.

In Gujranwala we use both "Thallay wala" or "Haithan", but "Haithan" is now considered "old fashioned" and is phasing out among new generation.

We know all these Punjabi words spoken in other areas but don't use them
Here we use only haithla and haithan
The word which i said is ha
Is sometimes pronounced as aa sometime ha
We don't use da

Last edited:
The word which i said is ha
Is sometimes pronounced as aan sometime ha
We don't use da

It is possible that "Ga", "Da" and "Ha" all originated from the same root for future tense but "Ga" became more dominant over the time.

Then this means replacing "Ga", "Ge" with "Da" , "De" in future tense of punjabi frequently is unique to Gujranwala only.

He is saying
Yeh Zindagi to bewafa hai kam az kam tum to wafa kardetay
This is word is used
Jab aap na koi kam nhi Kiya aur koi dosra aap sa keh rha tum yeh kam kardetay

Like my father is saying to me tum school chalay jatay ya cows ko paani pila detay etc

He is saying
Yeh Zindagi to bewafa hai kam az kam tum to wafa kardetay
This is word is used
Jab aap na koi kam nhi Kiya aur koi dosra aap sa keh rha tum yeh kam kardetay

Like my father is saying to me tum school chalay jatay ya cows ko paani pila detay etc

I would have said this way in my accent,

"Oye tu tay wafa kar dainda, zindagi tay bewafa ay"

Baat aik hi hai lekin words shayad different hain

You are a good source for me to learn some linguistic features that are unique to jangli and saraiki, I have a question what does the word "wada" means in sentences like "oh qasda , kar ah pata, dhola larya wada", or "russia wada" etc., this word "wada" is a mysterious word for me, is it a helping verb?

By the way your explantion of "ha" has helped me to now better understand the true meaning of some saraiki songs that I used to listen on youtube like the one in the video below where the singer says "be uzreyan chhor kay nikhra gaya'n koi uzar bana kay nikhray ha" which I think means in punjabi "be uzreyan chadh kay nikhar gaya ain, koi uzar bana kay tay nikharda".

russia wada

Russia wada means rotha hua hai
This word is used jab aap na koi kam kiya hua hai
Main Ghar main hon I would say it like
Main Ghar ich wada haan
Like mjhwy koi kahay tumhara abu Ghar main ha
Piyo ya Abba Ghar wada heyi
Me koi ni wada
Khedda wada han .
a word piya is also used in same meaning
Like peeti piya hai
Khadhi piya hai . Ronda piya hai
Betha is also used in same sense
like likhda Betha ha Ronda betha han

Wada is used to tell what someone is doing right now
Piya used when someone is lying and doing something like sleeping reading crying talking
and betha is used when you are sitting and doing something like writing eating etc

Russia wada means rotha hua hai
This word is used jab aap na koi kam kiya hua hai
Main Ghar main hon I would say it like
Main Ghar ich wada haan
Like mjhwy koi kahay tumhara abu Ghar main ha
Piyo ya Abba Ghar wada heyi
Me koi ni wada
Khedda wada han .
a word piya is also used in same meaning
Like peeti piya hai
Khadhi piya hai . Ronda piya hai
Betha is also used in same sense
like likhda Betha ha Ronda betha han

Wada is used to tell what someone is doing right now
Piya used when someone is lying and doing something like sleeping reading crying talking
and betha is used when you are sitting and doing something like writing eating etc

Interesting, we also use "piya" in the same sense in Gujranwala like "oh ronda piya jay" which means he is in the process of weaping. Or "oh karon nikalda piya jay" which means he is in the process of coming out of home.

We also use "Baitha" in the same sense as you said like "Oh paran russiya baitha jay" which means "he is sitting there being unhappy". Or "Oh apni jutti gawa baitha jay" which is like telling someone that "he has got his shoes lost".

But we don't use the word "wada" and I really struggle to make sense of the sentences of Jangli/Saraiki where "wada" is involved, it is one of the most confusing word for someone like me in Gujranwala who has no idea or equivalent of this word in my local language.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom