What's new

Which Book are you reading

Loving it ! Its just so vast -- a world ! Tis a shame that Tolkien didn't write more into the story of the Elves.
good luck with all those names starting with letter 'A'.
i read the Chinese translation version and OMG all those names like '阿***'....

Loving it ! Its just so vast -- a world ! Tis a shame that Tolkien didn't write more into the story of the Elves.

Tolkien left a lot unsaid,and I think thats what attracts everybody even after half centuries later LOTR is published.people do their research to unearth facts about various topic(eg. Identity of Nazguls) and here,even Fanmovies and games are thought as a topic of discussion.I myself is a fan of middle-earth stories...

by the way,use this book,you'll find the map and geography you're going to ever need as sometimes it is hard to understand the location and battle formations from Tolkien's description...

150px-Atlas_Middle-earth.jpg

good luck with all those names starting with letter 'A'.
i read the Chinese translation version and OMG all those names like '阿***'....

Hahahaha! You know what got me addicted to it? I picked up a copy of 'Hobbit' and literally i ended up reading the whole book on my couch that night. That made me want to read the LOTR , after that i couldn't have enough. Its just crazy how Tolkien actually created actual Elvish language, Uru Kai language, and languages of other races in Middle Earth.

PS. I see you're a LOTR geek eh,...LMFAO!!! nice nice. ;)

Tolkien left a lot unsaid,and I think thats what attracts everybody even after half centuries later LOTR is published.people do their research to unearth facts about various topic(eg. Identity of Nazguls) and here,even Fanmovies and games are thought as a topic of discussion.I myself is a fan of middle-earth stories...

by the way,use this book,you'll find the map and geography you're going to ever need as sometimes it is hard to understand the location and battle formations from Tolkien's description...

150px-Atlas_Middle-earth.jpg

Thanks man, will definitely take this reference. Yea, i agree with you about how people get trapped into the knowing of specifics. Like for me i was interested in knowing more about the story of the 'Unending Lands' where the Elves eventually go to. I was actually interested in the mythology and lore of Middle Earth , the etiology of the Istar (the wizards) and its interesting to know that they (5 istar) were actually sent by the Valar to help the people of Middle Earth against the forces of Evil (Sauron). The entire world and its history, is just so vast. Its like Tolkien mixed mythology, religion, history, strategy, romance, art and music all into one. Seamless at that !

Hahahaha! You know what got me addicted to it? I picked up a copy of 'Hobbit' and literally i ended up reading the whole book on my couch that night. That made me want to read the LOTR , after that i couldn't have enough. Its just crazy how Tolkien actually created actual Elvish language, Uru Kai language, and languages of other races in Middle Earth.

PS. I see you're a LOTR geek eh,...LMFAO!!! nice nice. ;)
yup. he created an entire world, grand imagination.
my LOTR geek years was mainly in high school, all the books and movies.....it was nice indeed....:angel:

yup. he created an entire world, grand imagination.
my LOTR geek years was mainly in high school, all the books and movies.....it was nice indeed....:angel:

LoL! You need to come study here in 'states man.

Thanks man, will definitely take this reference. Yea, i agree with you about how people get trapped into the knowing of specifics. Like for me i was interested in knowing more about the story of the 'Unending Lands' where the Elves eventually go to. I was actually interested in the mythology and lore of Middle Earth , the etiology of the Istar (the wizards) and its interesting to know that they (5 istar) were actually sent by the Valar to help the people of Middle Earth against the forces of Evil (Sauron). The entire world and its history, is just so vast. Its like Tolkien mixed mythology, religion, history, strategy, romance, art and music all into one. Seamless at that !

all the Istaris are Maia...the fact is,there are countless Maiar in Arda(the world of Tolkien)..but only few are ever mentioned.you possibly don't know,but Sauron,Balrogs as well as all the Wizards are Maia,and possibly only these Maiar used the Veil(Human Form)....yes,Tolkien's world is vast...so,you better use various sites like this...also,try to visit various discussion forum..you'd find many interesting facts which various members painstakingly found out on various vague topics...

Maiar - Lord of the Rings Wiki
Maiar - Tolkien Gateway
The Encyclopedia of Arda - Maiar

also there is wiki... :D

I myself is a fan of Middle-Earth...

by the way,did you collect all the required books??

The Silmarllion
Children of Hurin
Unfinished Tales
Histories of Middle-Earth(entire series)
The Hobbit
and of course LOTR.

LoL! You need to come study here in 'states man.
thx, i'll finish my study in Guangzhou first......who knows what would happen in the future.
i'm stuck between Tolkien and Chinese Wuxia (Kong Fu) novels.......it's a dilemma.:cheesy:
now i sound like a nerd...:lol:

all the Istaris are Maia...the fact is,there are countless Maiar in Arda(the world of Tolkien)..but only few are ever mentioned.you possibly don't know,but Sauron,Balrogs as well as all the Wizards are Maia,and possibly only these Maiar used the Veil(Human Form)....yes,Tolkien's world is vast...so,you better use various sites like this...also,try to visit various discussion forum..you'd find many interesting facts which various members painstakingly found out on various vague topics...

Maiar - Tolkien Gateway

The Silmarllion
Children of Hurin
Unfinished Tales
The Hobbit
and of course LOTR.

Maiar - Tolkien Gateway

The Silmarllion
Children of Hurin
Unfinished Tales
The Hobbit
and of course LOTR.

Thanks man!!!

I think Jaswant Singh's book on partition got it right when it blames Nehru for partition.

i would say, not so much nehru as others like vallabh bhai patel.

but in retrospect, the congress party and the muslim league did not develop a new political system that would not follow the british parliamentary system... had they done so and avoided the prime-minister/president structure, they would have avoided the partition.

it was also a failure of the communist party that did not project itself more furiously.

and i did not think of buying jaswant singh's book despite him being condemned for it by his party... but since you mention it i will buy it in some months after getting through the big backlog of books i already have.

lol. I am not interested in flirting any more.

you talk like a retired playboy. :D

I look at the younger generation of flirts with a little amusement so I might read up on that thread sometime.

you are right about the young fellows... most don't really know how to flirt... beyond their familiar environments of colleges or job places, they wouldn't be able to charm anyone.

Hinduism arrived in the 7th century to India. Before that Budhism and Jainism dominated India.

technically, hinduism in india is maybe 2900 years old and jainism is a variation of it... but buddhism developed as reaction to the non-progressiveness of hinduism.

Religion is constantly evolving and changing I believe.

well, the logical future of humanity will not have religion... imagine of 2025 when the first settlers of mars establish their small colony, living in dangerous conditions and depending on each other... having a multiplicity of religious beliefs will create existential problems for the whole little colony... the older religions have not much future beyond 2025.

Allama Iqbal was in favor of ijtehad, a concept asking for a review of Islamic laws according to modern and changing times.

absolutely... and he was much inspired by the achievements in the soviet union and its ideological basis.

i had "shikwa and jawaab-e-shikwa" ( english translation by mustansir dalvi ) but i foolishly lost it in december... in it, he questions the culturally-set beliefs of muslims and declares them to be cause of stagnation or regression in muslim influence.

------------
@Nihonjin1051 do you do gymnastics?? you seem to have cuts like some russian gymnast. :)

i would say, not so much nehru as others like vallabh bhai patel.

but in retrospect, the congress party and the muslim league did not develop a new political system that would not follow the british parliamentary system... had they done so and avoided the prime-minister/president structure, they would have avoided the partition.

Well after all that happened I am glad partition occurred. I am from Lucknow and India has killed more than one member of my wider family. That doesn't mean all those there are bad. At least in Pakistan we are free. Still I tried to learn some things from Indians, like secularism... but apparently the newer generation is growing into Hindutvadis. They call it suckularism.

I would like to however give each and every right to Pakistani hindus and christians. They shouldn't be made to feel like my father mother or grandfather was made to feel there.

it was also a failure of the communist party that did not project itself more furiously

I know you have your views here. Always do what you think is best. If you believe its communism then go ahead and vouch for it.
and i did not think of buying jaswant singh's book despite him being condemned for it by his party... but since you mention it i will buy it in some months after getting through the big backlog of books i already have.

Hm. His other book India at risk was a bit painful for me to lead as 71 was indeed a hindutva victory and Pakistani loss. In it he has totally transformed what he writes, from critic to nationalist. He means to portray India's poor policies or foreign policy since 1971 but I believe

you talk like a retired playboy. :D

:)

you are right about the young fellows... most don't really know how to flirt... beyond their familiar environments of colleges or job places, they wouldn't be able to charm anyone.

:)

technically, hinduism in india is maybe 2900 years old and jainism is a variation of it... but buddhism developed as reaction to the non-progressiveness of hinduism.

Each religion has something beautiful about it. Hinduism i guess has animal rights. Buddhism non-violence. I sometimes agree with proponents of these religions, often the hindu right wing when they pick on Islam. We replaced orthodox christianity in Egypt and Turkey with Islam, we replaced Zoroastrianism in Iran with Islam and Budhism and Tengri faith in Central Asia with Islam. Our expansion came at the cost of their contraction.

But I don't see how holding a grudge over it helps. Religions often expanded through great violence, Timur and Spanish inquisition, or white cleansing of Australia... its better to forget because even Hindus made our men dance around their intestines tied to a stake until they died. Maharana Pratap also murdered muslims.

well, the logical future of humanity will not have religion... imagine of 2025 when the first settlers of mars establish their small colony, living in dangerous conditions and depending on each other... having a multiplicity of religious beliefs will create existential problems for the whole little colony... the older religions have not much future beyond 2025.

Hmmm... things are rapidly changing in the world my friend. Religion, Islam might have something to do with the future of this planet -if that is Allah's intention. However it can only spread through a balance of tact and peace, not by suicide bombings, beheadings and burning of Jordanian pilots.

absolutely... and he was much inspired by the achievements in the soviet union and its ideological basis.

What do you think of the CPI, Communist party of India?

i had "shikwa and jawaab-e-shikwa" ( english translation by mustansir dalvi ) but i foolishly lost it in december... in it, he questions the culturally-set beliefs of muslims and declares them to be cause of stagnation or regression in muslim influence.

I haven't read that so I can't comment on that.

The Baburnama: Memoirs of Babur, Prince and Emperor

The book is about how Sultan Babur founded the Mughal Empire. Every Pakistani patriot should read this book and learn from it.

I always read many books at once including re-reading some in original language so that my list may not make much sense to my PDF brothers and sisters [ although if someone could tell me where I put the one on Quantum Electro-Dynamics that I seem to have misplaced, I'd really appreciate it ]. :azn:

For the Tolkien fans however, I'd recommend finding Tree and Leaf.
It contains the short story Leaf by Niggle, his second fiction work after The Hobbit but also …
and more importantly : On Fairy-Stories, a rewrite of an early piece initially collected by C.S. Lewis.

Although short it defends what is now known as fantasy as a bone fide literary genre.
It uses concepts such as phenomenology applied à la Tolkien and does show his Christian slant
but for serious folks*, it is the best essay on the matter both as Tolkien's and in general.

I trust you'll find it quite interesting.
Good reading all, Tay.

* Serious about Fantasy/Faërie, I meant; it works fine for funny guys'n gals too. :victory1:

Back
Top Bottom