What's new

Which AESA radar fits better the JF-17 Block 3?

Which AESA radar fits better the JF-17 Block 3?

• KLJ-7A AESA fire control radar

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • Vixen 1000E AESA fire control radar

Votes: 28 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So are there any Airborne radar tech testing projects running currently sir ? Such as you mentioned T/R module

Ohh you talking about this
DSC_0233.JPG
DSC_0233.JPG
Projects were initiated but AESA is not a walk in the park. It requires a well funded team to carry out the tasks and even if universities work on it; it has to be consistent rather than the FInal Year Project-forgotten-for-three-years approach common in Pakistan.

Hazrat is the wiki leaks of PDF. the info "MUST" be taken with a pinch of salt!!

I would like to say Vixen 1000E has one advantage over the KLJ7-A and that is its ability to scan a wider area at extreme angles surely gives it an edge over KLJ.
upload_2017-4-6_19-53-31-png.389258

In air to air combat against large foe it will be big boost.

I am not aware of this group. Looks like a passive scanner.

Capital University of Science & Technology (CUST), Islamabad has recently conducted a field trial for Pakistan’s first ever Phased Array Radar.

Pioneered under Controls and Signal Processing Research (CASPR) department of CUST, the radar will be used for air surveillance.

The circuits and signal processing modules were ready by 2016 and required testing. The sponsor for the project provided a good testing team that worked for a whole year with the Professor and his project partners. The work has finally concluded and the project is ready.
The Phase Array Radar will help Pakistan Army, Pakistan Air Force and Pakistan Navy. It will be able to benefit other interested and relevant parties as well.
source: https://www.sinodefenceforum.com/pakistan-military-news-reports-data-etc.t5723/page-52

So are there any Airborne radar tech testing projects running currently sir ? Such as you mentioned T/R module

Ohh you talking about this
DSC_0233.JPG
DSC_0233.JPG
Yeah.
But not me, THEY were talking about this, i just mentioned them the thread. :)

Not an entirely fair, or technically correct comparison but for a ballpark idea this is the kind of miniaturization alone you need to get things started.
View attachment 390006
The left is usually what Pakistani projects achieve... brick not included- that is the sweat and brow of slaves in kilns

I'm surprised ghar KLJ-7A has received 52 votes while the Vixen couldn't even muster 20 votes even though it is apparently a better radar with the added feature of a built-in IRST sensor. Wonder why? o_O

I'm surprised ghar KLJ-7A has received 52 votes while the Vixen couldn't even muster 20 votes even though it is apparently a better radar with the added feature of a built-in IRST sensor. Wonder why? o_O
May be coz vixen not ready to give the codes and Chinese also doesn't want to
Reveal theirs to vixen

May be coz vixen not ready to give the codes and Chinese also doesn't want to
Reveal theirs to vixen
why would the two need each other's codes? aren't they both mutually exclusive meaning you use either one or the other? sorry in advance for the stupid question but I'm not as well versed in radars as much as other posters are.

Any chance if we upgrade the JF17 Thunder Block 3, with Chinese AESA

May be the British Radar Solution can be used for F16 or our other aircraft inventory ?
I would imagine the F16 with the latest data link would work with British AESA solution

Might as well get all F16 C/D upgraded to F16 C/D "plus" status

Mastan had been rambling for some improvements I figured well since we have the british radar on the cards might as well use that option for F16 upgrading unless US offers their own AESA solution to us

Last edited:
why would the two need each other's codes? aren't they both mutually exclusive meaning you use either one or the other? sorry in advance for the stupid question but I'm not as well versed in radars as much as other posters are.

Well I am not well versed either, but purely from logic, the radar needs to be integrated with the rest of the EW suite. As an example, the AESA can act as a radar jammer. The control system needs to be able to issue the instruction for a subset of the T/R modules to switch to frequency jamming mode. For this, both sides need to share the necessary APIs and interfaces. For this reason, you won't be simply buying an AESA radar, you will get hooked into the whole EW suite and fire control system. From there, you are open to threats of sanctions, you are limited to which missiles you can integrate, etc.

I think people are weighing not just the raw performance of the radar. And they are correct in doing so. Below the Belgian RFP and the weighting they will put on the raw performance of the fighter is “only” 21%. I remember something very similar in the Swiss report pitching the Gripen, Tiffy and Raffy against each other and benchmarked against the Hornet.

Capturev(1).JPG

Chinese capabilities (product technology, production processes, product quality and customer services) are improving and closing the gap against the West. Something acknowledge even by the West. Specifying and buying a system to make operational in the next 5-10 years and to operate for the next at least 30 years, it is expected that by 2022-2027, the KLJ-7 series and the Vixen will not be far apart. In fact, from they maybe not be far apart already.

IRST is optionable on Vixen . KLJ7A with some modification can also have it

I think people are weighing not just the raw performance of the radar. And they are correct in doing so. Below the Belgian RFP and the weighting they will put on the raw performance of the fighter is “only” 21%. I remember something very similar in the Swiss report pitching the Gripen, Tiffy and Raffy against each other and benchmarked against the Hornet.

View attachment 390236

Chinese capabilities (product technology, production processes, product quality and customer services) are improving and closing the gap against the West. Something acknowledge even by the West. Specifying and buying a system to make operational in the next 5-10 years and to operate for the next at least 30 years, it is expected that by 2022-2027, the KLJ-7 series and the Vixen will not be far apart. In fact, from they maybe not be far apart already.
These western websites will definitely showcase their products far ahhead than any in the world so i dont trust them although yes there is still much tech gap between china and west however in the field of AESA , i refuse to believe..KLJ-7A is better but it lacks slash plate to move at a position thus providing greater angle of field

IRST is optionable on Vixen . KLJ7A with some modification can also have it

These western websites will definitely showcase their products far ahhead than any in the world so i dont trust them although yes there is still much tech gap between china and west however in the field of AESA , i refuse to believe..KLJ-7A is better but it lacks slash plate to move at a position thus providing greater angle of field
Thought about the swashplate too. However, with +/-95° already on the KLJ-7A and for a defensive perspective, the requirement to look behind is not high priority. It will be great to have it but I believe PAK will forego that for other aspects of the KLJ-7A .

Thought about the swashplate too. However, with +/-95° already on the KLJ-7A and for a defensive perspective, the requirement to look behind is not high priority. It will be great to have it but I believe PAK will forego that for other aspects of the KLJ-7A .
Ok next question , to u sir and @Bilal Khan (Quwa) , Do you really really think that block 1 and 2 can be fitted with an AESA such as KLJ-7A ? From what info i have is that it will require much modification to nose which will definitely disturb the overall existing airframe design so no upgrades. The proof which i can give to you is that nose of Block 3 and Dual seater are different than existing thunders . They are long

Back
Top Bottom