What's new

Whether an Army officer can marry a foreign national?

Gotcha :) I some how i already sensed that from your posts. I feel stupid for mentioning/tagging you in threads about Pashtun history, you must have felt annoyed by it but you were decent enough not to express it.

Atleast he is loyal to his land ;)

Atleast he is loyal to his land ;)
I respect that. All of my close friends in real life, even my family members are very patriotic. I also know some captain level faujis, who were once my classfellows. When they were in abbotabad, i used to visit kakool to meet them or invite them to my hostel for feast. We pashtuns are people with diverse ideologies and interests, and we get along.......i am also your schoolmate, remember? , the thing i observed there, is that you people dont understand us beyond certain level....judging us by stereotypes , is not understanding. Your kind is humorous though and i always enjoyed the gupshup with chauhdries.

I respect that. All of my close friends in real life, even my family members are very patriotic. I also know some captain level faujis, who were once my classfellows. When they were in abbotabad, i used to visit kakool to meet them or invite them to my hostel for feast. We pashtuns are people with diverse ideologies and interests, and we get along.......i am also your schoolmate, remember? , the thing i observed there, is that you people dont understand us beyond certain level....judging us by stereotypes , is not understanding. Your kind is humorous though and i always enjoyed the gupshup with chauhdries.
Same can be said abt a pathans like u too.;)

Last edited:
Army personnel can marry foreign Nationals after Security Clarence(which depends on your position , Role , your future endeavours etc ) .. but getting that clearance is not a piece of cake .. and even if he gets the clearance his promotions will be slow as compared to others .

But In this case I dont think he will get the clearance as mentioned by @Rashid Mahmood .

A govt official or for that matter a defence official can only marry foreign nationals from the counties having dual nationality contract with Pakistan. There are a total of 16 such countries. A girl from IOK would probably be having an Indian nationality, so he would not be able to marry her, unless she renounces it. Those who marry someone from out the countries having dual national contract with Pakistan, must get permission from MoD. In any case, marrying a girl even from a Pakistan friendly country will require permission from the military, which is just a formality and is normally granted. Your case is special, must approach AS&RC.

@F.O.X It is not a issue. As one can only marry those nationals for whom permission is already there. These countries are:
1 United Kingdom
2 France
3 Italy
4 Belgium
5 Iceland
6 Australia
7 New Zealand
8 Canada
9 Egypt
10 Jordan
11 Syria
12 Switzerland
13 Netherland
14 United States of America
15 Sweden
16 Ireland

Directorate General of Immigration & Passports, Ministry of Interior, Government of Pakistan

The nationals of these countries are not required to renounce their nationality while acquiring Pakistan Citizenship.

@F.O.X It is not a issue. As one can only marry those nationals for whom permission is already there. These countries are:
1 United Kingdom
2 France
3 Italy
4 Belgium
5 Iceland
6 Australia
7 New Zealand
8 Canada
9 Egypt
10 Jordan
11 Syria
12 Switzerland
13 Netherland
14 United States of America
15 Sweden
16 Ireland

Directorate General of Immigration & Passports, Ministry of Interior, Government of Pakistan

The nationals of these countries are not required to renounce their nationality while acquiring Pakistan Citizenship.
Thanks for the clarification .. it seems my knowledge of certain rules is in need of an Update :D

Gotcha I some how i already sensed that from your posts. I feel stupid for mentioning/tagging you in threads about Pashtun history, you must have felt annoyed by it but you were decent enough not to express it.
Why do you feel stupid for tagging me in posts about my ancestry, does my belonging to a military family some how change my Pukhtoon credentials, my family has a rich history of military service and even voluntary fighting in the Afghan war so I dont see how my Pukhtoon credentials are in question. Just because I dont agree with you on things concerning Puktoon fascism doesnt mean that you can label me a lesser Pukhtoon, I cant and I wont agree with you points blindingly in some sort of intellectual slavery so peace, and dont tag me further if you want odds are I am going to read your post anyways because I read all the new threads everyday....

Ghulami rata agyar khare Puktun yema
Dunya rana pade take khapa da....

Why do you feel stupid for tagging me in posts about my ancestry, does my belonging to a military family some how change my Pukhtoon credentials, my family has a rich history of military service and even voluntary fighting in the Afghan war so I dont see how my Pukhtoon credentials are in question. Just because I dont agree with you on things concerning Puktoon fascism doesnt mean that you can label me a lesser Pukhtoon, I cant and I wont agree with you points blindingly in some sort of intellectual slavery so peace, and dont tag me further if you want odds are I am going to read your post anyways because I read all the new threads everyday....

Ghulami rata agyar khare Puktun yema
Dunya rana pade take khapa da....
Its for your own good, you were appearing in ISSB is'nt? , you should not contaminate yourself with pashtuniyat. You shouldn't be even bothered about pashtun credentials......if i am saying any thing wrong then do correct me. You are a decent lad, one can sense it from your posts, no ill or harsh feelings towards you. Keep loving your country and army, and die for it.

Officer's can marry foreign nationals after the due security clearance of the spouse and her family by the respective HQ's.

In this case, I don't think security clearance will be given. (This is my personal opinion)

You mean he shouldn't go for army if he wants to marry her. ?
Is the ruling same for other govt officials ?

Interesting issue, but i guess if she is one of those good kashmiris not the indian brainwashed stooges and can settle in cantonment with here husband or may give up indian nationality then u might have a chance.

Actually she and their family are typical kashmiris (pro ****) .... But does this really matter?
Bro is working as a software engineer and wants to join army as an ICTO (Direct short service commission in signal corps) but what i came across after the discussion he will have to abandon one for the other. Either army(his childhood passion) or the girl.

Last edited:

Actually she and their family are typical kashmiris (pro ****) .... But does this really matter?
Bro is working as a software engineer and wants to join army as an ICTO (Direct short service commission in signal corps) but what i came across after the discussion he will have to abandon one for the other. Either army(his childhood passion) or the girl.

In that case, the simplest solution for everybody seems to be that the girl should renounce Indian citizenship and accept a Pakistani one, and move to Pak. That should make everybody happy.

If she renounce her other nationality, only then they can marry.

In that case, the simplest solution for everybody seems to be that the girl should renounce Indian citizenship and accept a Pakistani one, and move to Pak. That should make everybody happy.

She is ready to renounce her indian citizenship (as to live in pak later on she can't keep indian citizenship)... So if she renounces indian citizenship , would there be still a problem (clearance etc)?

Xeric, I hope you are well!

I think exceptions exist and there is some relaxation now. First hand, at least in my family, I have seen a case where a spouse with foreign nationality had to give it up to get married to a relative in the Army. However just reading Dawn the other day, I came across a letter to the editor where a PAF officer looking for early retirement had a spouse with dual nationality. Perhaps the exception is for dual citizens of Pakistani origin but if you were a foreign citizen marrying an officer of the Pakistani armed forces then you would have to surrender your foreign citizenship and take up Pakistani.

She is ready to renounce her indian citizenship (as to live in pak later on she can't keep indian citizenship)... So if she renounces indian citizenship , would there be still a problem (clearance etc)?
No many cases of the same have been allowed if Indian citizenship is surrendered. One other issue is that the spouse serving in the Army will not be allowed to travel to India in a private capacity. Just be mindful.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom