What's new

WHEN CHINA BECOMES NO.1, WHAT HAPPENS THEN?

Ok , I am not going to read that 321 pages but I have to say : being NO.1 of the list is not a bad thing but it barely related to a county's strength.

We know US is the NO.1 right now but she is in the bottom of that list.

It's alright bro, I can help answering queries.

Though countries like Japan, Germany and China Mainland are high in absolute size, let's compare net position with size of economy. In this regard top performers are Hong Kong SAR (+284%), Singapore (+182%), Norway (+171%), Taiwan (+153%), Switzerland (+120%) & Saudi Arabia (+107%). But Japan (+75%) and Germany (+36%) are still very high while China Mainland has a long way to go.

On the other side of the scale, US (-40%) despite worse than France (-20%), UK (-25%) or Italy (-28%), is still far better than say Spain (-95%), Ireland (-107%), Portugal (-112%) and of course Greece (-122%). Italy performs the best among PIIGS nations.

Sure bro, let me put in in simple language. Everyone, every company small or big, has a balance sheet (资产负债表). You have assets e.g. fixed like houses, or liquid like cash or securities. You also have liabilities like loans. The difference between assets and liabilities is your net position. If you have a high net position then congrats you are a HNWI (high net worth individual)!

Money flows between nations in all possible forms, like merchandise trade, service trade, investment, loans. So any single nation has both assets and liabilities against rest-of-the world, the difference between the two is the net international position (Net International Investment Position, NIIP). The sum of NIIP for all economies is zero.
untitled-png.283923

For more advanced reading, please read topics related to Balance of Payment (BoP), Net International Investment Position. You may find this link useful: Sixth Edition of the IMF's Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual (BPM6)

If you have any more query please feel free to contact me, thanks!

You dont know the stuff or you dont know it well so you created a term called " international financial balance sheet".

NOBODY in the business will create a term like ' international financial balance sheet" - I am damn sure about this!

Balance sheet has nothing to do with Balance of Payment
Balance sheet will strictly not be used as a term categorically describing "Net International INvestment Position"

Tell me where to get a copy of 'INTERNATIONAL and financial " balance sheet in which you can find all the items and figures as tabulated in a typical/standard Balance Sheet!

The quotes that you supplied have NOTHING to do with a 'BALANCE SHEET" or the awkward term of " international financial" BALANCE SHEET.

They are just economic data reflecting different economic positions of individual countries

Get it?

Last edited:
It's alright bro, I can help answering queries.

Though countries like Japan, Germany and China Mainland are high in absolute size, let's compare net position with size of economy. In this regard top performers are Hong Kong SAR (+284%), Singapore (+182%), Norway (+171%), Taiwan (+153%), Switzerland (+120%) & Saudi Arabia (+107%). But Japan (+75%) and Germany (+36%) are still very high while China Mainland has a long way to go.

On the other side of the scale, US (-40%) despite worse than France (-20%), UK (-25%) or Italy (-28%), is still far better than say Spain (-95%), Ireland (-107%), Portugal (-112%) and of course Greece (-122%). Italy performs the best among PIIGS nations.

Again , I does not mean be the NO.1 in this list is a bad thing.

US is still the NO.1 and will be NO.1 for very long time(20 years?).

That means this ranking does not reflect the position of a country in the world.

You dont know the stuff or you dont know it well so you created a term called " international financial balance sheet".

NOBODY in the business will create a term like ' international financial balance sheet" - I am damn sure about this!

Balance sheet has nothing to do with Balance of Payment
Balance sheet will strictly not be used as a term categorically describing "Net International INvestment Position"

Tell me where to get a copy of 'INTERNATIONAL and financial " balance sheet in which you can find all the items and figures as tabulated in a typical/standard Balance Sheet!

The quotes that you supplied have NOTHING to do with a 'BALANCE SHEET" or the awkard term of " international financial" BALANCE SHEET.

They are just economic data reflecting different economic positions of individual countries

Get it?

Let's see from Net International Investment Position (NIIP) Definition | Investopedia

"NIIP is a nation’s stock of foreign assets minus its foreign liabilities. The Net International Investment Position (NIIP) can also be defined as the value of overseas assets owned by a nation minus the value of domestic assets owned by foreigners. The NIIP can therefore be regarded as a nation’s balance sheet with the rest of the world at a specific point in time. NIIP includes overseas assets and liabilities held by a nation’s government, the private sector and its citizens."

It's not a technical term like NIIP, it's a plain language description of the technical term. First description, for sure it is "inter-national", i.e. nation vs rest-of-the-world, not internal. Secondly description, it is definitely "financial" only, excluding claims of non-financial assets or intangible assets. Lastly description, it can be regarded as a "balance sheet".​

NIIP is only one part of the overall Balance of Payment (BoP) reporting, check this: Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Statistics for definition and the BPM6 manual current used in Sixth Edition of the IMF's Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual (BPM6)

While NIIP is a subset of BoP, the BoP is a subset of overall economics.

Got it?

Last edited:
Let's see from Net International Investment Position (NIIP) Definition | Investopedia

"NIIP is a nation’s stock of foreign assets minus its foreign liabilities. The Net International Investment Position (NIIP) can also be defined as the value of overseas assets owned by a nation minus the value of domestic assets owned by foreigners. The NIIP can therefore be regarded as a nation’s balance sheet with the rest of the world at a specific point in time. NIIP includes overseas assets and liabilities held by a nation’s government, the private sector and its citizens."

It's not a term, it's a description of the term for easier comprehension of the term. First description, for sure it is "inter-national", i.e. nation vs rest-of-the-world, not internal. Secondly description, it is definitely "financial" only, excluding claims of non-financial assets. Lastly description, it can be regarded as a "balance sheet".​

NIIP is only one part of the overall Balance of Payment (BoP) reporting, check this: Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Statistics for definition and the BPM6 manual current used in Sixth Edition of the IMF's Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual (BPM6)

And Balance of Payment (BoP) is again part of overall economics.

Got it?

No
As I said no one will use the term " international financial" balance sheet ONLY laymen do

Second, the net postions are referring to inbound and outbound INVESTMENTS only
There are a whole lot of accounts in a standard BALANCE SHEET to capture like:

Fixed Assets
Current Assets
Liabilities
Equities

All of the above contain many many more different and individual details and figures of an entity's financial status that it wants to account for

Balance of Payment as an economic term include more than NIIP
You can easily check out what are included in BoP and as such IT CAN NEVER be said representing a "balance sheet" let alone an "international financial" BALANCE SHEET

GET IT?

There will finally be a chance for World Peace, I can't wait for the day that China finally becomes number one, hopefully sooner.

Correct
But the whole world knows China is accomodating whereas the other one is not

ps @Shotgunner51

if you use crazy terms like abovementioned in an AGM or Board Meeting I am sure you will be shown an open door!

15 minutes gone
I'm taking off
Leave any comments here for me to address

Thanks

Balance of Payment as an economic term include more than NIIP
You can easily check out what are included in BoP and as such IT CAN NEVER be said representing a "balance sheet" let alone an "international financial" BALANCE SHEET

Read again, NIIP is part of BoP.
BoP is not a balance sheet, but NIIP is.
And it's inter-national, and its absolutely financial.

Second, the net postions are referring to inbound and outbound INVESTMENTS only
There are a whole lot of accounts in a standard BALANCE SHEET to capture like:

Fixed Assets
Current Assets
Liabilities
Equities

All of the above contain many many more different and individual details and figures of an entity's financial status that it wants to account for

Absolutely, simply, WRONG.

Far more than just "inbound and outbound INVESTMENTS only". That may include
Direct investment
Equity and investment funds share
Debt instrument
Portfolio investment
Debt securities
Financial derivatives (other than reserves) and employee stock options
Other investment

Other equity
Currency and deposit
Loans
Insurance, pension, and standardized guarantee schem
Trade credit and advance
Other accounts receivable/payable-other
Special drawing rights (allocations)
Reserve assets
Check IMF BPM6 (Balanace of Payment Manual 6th Edition) before making any more completely false claims. The following IMF documents also provide information on the development of IIP statistics. International Investment Position (IIP) Statistics

Seems like more plain language is needed for you. The NIIP comes from a "balance sheet" comprised of all "financial" assets and all "financial" liabilities of one nation versus rest-of-the-world, i.e. "international".

Got it?

ps @Shotgunner51

if you use crazy terms like abovementioned in an AGM or Board Meeting I am sure you will be shown an open door!

Use description of terms in plain language, not just terms, in explaining to an AGM especially that of a listco where public shareholders are not necessarily financial-pro. Yes, NIIP is definitely "international", it's definitely "financial", and regarded as a "balance sheet".

In a Board comprised of pros I use terms only, By claiming NIIP consists of "inbound and outbound INVESTMENTS only", a complete ignornace of basic fact, who's the one to be shown the open door?

Last edited:
Read again, NIIP is part of BoP.
BoP is not a balance sheet, but NIIP is.
And it's inter-national, and its absolutely financial.

Dont need to "read it again"
I didnt say NIIP is NOT part of BoP
But I said BoP is NOT any part of any Balance sheet and now you corrected yourself to agree and admit your mistake
"International Financial B/D" is a ridiculous term which you've used and in

Far more than just "inbound and outbound INVESTMENTS only". That may include
Direct investment
Debt instrument
Portfolio investment
Debt securities
Other investment

Other equity
Currency and deposit
Loans
Trade credit and advance
Special drawing rights (allocations
Reserve assets
The following documents provide information on the development of IIP statistics. International Investment Position (IIP) Statistics
Got it?

Can you show me anywhere in the world an "international financial balance sheet" ?

As indicated clearly the above categories are positions

What is China's ( or any country for this matter) NET WORTH as you may refer to your so-called " international financial Balance Sheet"

Use description of terms in plain language, not just terms, in explaining to an AGM especially that of a listco where public shareholders are not necessarily financial-pro. Yes, NIIP is definitely "international", it's definitely "financial", and regarded as a "balance sheet". In a Board comprised of pros I use terms only, By claiming NIIP consists of "inbound and outbound INVESTMENTS only", a complete ignornace of basic fact, who's the one to be shown the open door?

The individual word can only be interpreted and used per se but NEVER like "international financial balance sheet" - RIDICULOUS
AGM are attended by the public and the BOD and the Chairman etc and also financial reporters
When you said ".international financial balance sheet " you are out!
So you are treating all people who are on the forum as ignorant? then for some people who are your "fans" I dont blame you

Get it?

As indicated clearly the above categories are positions

Wrong again and AGAIN! The "above categories" are NOT positions, they are entries that could be in assets or liabilities or both.

Position = Assets less Liabilities.

Get it?

What is China's ( or any country for this matter) NET WORTH as you may refer to your so-called " international financial Balance Sheet"

For any country their "inter-national" balance comprised of "financial" assets and liabilities i.e. balance sheet, check central banks for individual entries as well as results of NET International POSITIONS. Here are US Federal Reserve, Bank of England, Ministry of Finance Japan.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/z1/current/z1.pdf
http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/qb060301.pdf
International Investment Position : Ministry of Finance

In China's case, check http://www.safe.gov.cn/
Check "统计数据跨表查询" check "中国国际投资头寸表" As of 201509 (3rd quater) NIIP is US$ 1.5399 trillion​

中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 净头寸(单位:亿美元) 15,399
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 资产(单位:亿美元) 62,810
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.直接投资(单位:亿美元) 10,383
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.1股权(单位:亿美元) 8,492
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.2关联企业债务(单位:亿美元) 1,891
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2证券投资(单位:亿美元) 2,575
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2.1股权(单位:亿美元) 1,591
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2.2债券(单位:亿美元) 984
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 3金融衍生工具(单位:亿美元) 56
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4其他投资(单位:亿美元) 13,894
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.1其他股权(单位:亿美元) 1
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.2货币和存款(单位:亿美元) 3,575
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.3贷款(单位:亿美元) 4,945
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.4保险和养老金(单位:亿美元) 178
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.5贸易信贷(单位:亿美元) 4,947
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.6其他应收款(单位:亿美元) 248
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5储备资产(单位:亿美元) 35,903
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5.1货币黄金(单位:亿美元) 612
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5.2特别提款权(单位:亿美元) 105
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5.3在国际货币基金组织的储备头寸(单位:亿美元) 47
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5.4外汇储备(单位:亿美元) 35,141
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 负债(单位:亿美元) 47,411
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1直接投资(单位:亿美元) 28,521
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.1股权(单位:亿美元) 26,335
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.2关联企业债务(单位:亿美元) 2,186
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2证券投资(单位:亿美元) 7,875
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2.1股权(单位:亿美元) 5,541
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2.2债券(单位:亿美元) 2,334
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 3金融衍生工具(单位:亿美元) 119
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4其他投资(单位:亿美元) 10,896
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.1其他股权(单位:亿美元) 0
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.2货币和存款(单位:亿美元) 3,831
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.3贷款(单位:亿美元) 3,867
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.4保险和养老金(单位:亿美元) 90
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.5贸易信贷(单位:亿美元) 2,847
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.6其他应付款(单位:亿美元) 163
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.7特别提款权(单位:亿美元) 98

I didnt say NIIP is NOT part of BoP
But I said BoP is NOT any part of any Balance sheet and now you corrected yourself to agree and admit your mistake
"International Financial B/D" is a ridiculous term which you've used and in
The individual word can only be interpreted and used per se but NEVER like "international financial balance sheet" - RIDICULOUS
AGM are attended by the public and the BOD and the Chairman etc and also financial reporters
When you said ".international financial balance sheet " you are out!
So you are treating all people who are on the forum as ignorant? then for some people who are your "fans" I dont blame you

Read again, the Term is NIIP. The characteristics and plain language descriptions are:
  1. "Inter-national", it's between a nation and rest of the nations.
  2. "Financial", include ALL financial entries, excluding non-financials. By the way, what's about your RIDICULOUS claim of "inbound and outbound INVESTMENTS only"?
  3. "Balance sheet" comprised of all financial assets, financial liabilities
Get it?

Last edited:
Wrong AGAIN! The "above categories" are NOT positions, they are entries that could be in assets or liabilities or both.

Position = Assets less Liabilities.

Get it?

Balloney!
The categories you've quoted are majority list of "investments"
What is the total ASSET OF CHINA ( or any country) in the so called " international financial balance sheet (ifbs in short)

Figures presented part and parcel cannot be said a balance sheet which comprises a whole lot more data

And what is China's NET WORTH?

GET IT?

For any country their "inter-national" position comprised of "financial" assets or liabilities i.e. balance sheet, check central banks for individual entries as well as results of NET International POSITIONS. Here are US Federal Reserve, Bank of England, Ministry of Finance Japan.

http://www.federalreserve.gov/releases/z1/current/z1.pdf
http://www.bankofengland.co.Euk/publications/Documents/quarterlybulletin/qb060301.pdf
International Investment Position : Ministry of Finance

In China's case, check http://www.safe.gov.cn/
Check "统计数据跨表查询" check "中国国际投资头寸表" As of 201509 (3rd quater) NIIP is US$ 1.5399 trillion​

中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 净头寸(单位:亿美元) 15,399
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 资产(单位:亿美元) 62,810
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.直接投资(单位:亿美元) 10,383
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.1股权(单位:亿美元) 8,492
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.2关联企业债务(单位:亿美元) 1,891
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2证券投资(单位:亿美元) 2,575
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2.1股权(单位:亿美元) 1,591
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2.2债券(单位:亿美元) 984
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 3金融衍生工具(单位:亿美元) 56
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4其他投资(单位:亿美元) 13,894
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.1其他股权(单位:亿美元) 1
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.2货币和存款(单位:亿美元) 3,575
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.3贷款(单位:亿美元) 4,945
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.4保险和养老金(单位:亿美元) 178
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.5贸易信贷(单位:亿美元) 4,947
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.6其他应收款(单位:亿美元) 248
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5储备资产(单位:亿美元) 35,903
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5.1货币黄金(单位:亿美元) 612
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5.2特别提款权(单位:亿美元) 105
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5.3在国际货币基金组织的储备头寸(单位:亿美元) 47
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 5.4外汇储备(单位:亿美元) 35,141
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 负债(单位:亿美元) 47,411
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1直接投资(单位:亿美元) 28,521
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.1股权(单位:亿美元) 26,335
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 1.2关联企业债务(单位:亿美元) 2,186
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2证券投资(单位:亿美元) 7,875
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2.1股权(单位:亿美元) 5,541
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 2.2债券(单位:亿美元) 2,334
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 3金融衍生工具(单位:亿美元) 119
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4其他投资(单位:亿美元) 10,896
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.1其他股权(单位:亿美元) 0
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.2货币和存款(单位:亿美元) 3,831
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.3贷款(单位:亿美元) 3,867
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.4保险和养老金(单位:亿美元) 90
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.5贸易信贷(单位:亿美元) 2,847
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.6其他应付款(单位:亿美元) 163
中国国际投资头寸表(单位:亿美元) 4.7特别提款权(单位:亿美元) 98​

YOU STILL DONT GET IT
WHAT IS THE "NET WORTH OF CHINA"

ALL the above quotes are reflecting 'INVESTMENTS" WHICH is just a section of CHINA's BALANCE SHEET

Read again, the Term is NIIP. The characteristics and plain language descriptions are:
  1. "Inter-national", it's between a nation and rest of the nations.
  2. "Financial", include all financial, excluding non-financials. By the way, what's about our bold claim of "inbound and outbound INVESTMENTS only"?
  3. "Balance sheet" comprised of all financial assets, financial liabilities
Get it?

Did I say clearly I DONT NEED TO "read again"
and I SAID THE WORD / TERM can be interpreted individuall but NEVER like the ridiculous "ifbs"

My bold claim is correct because the majority of the list are investments in different forms

"Direct investment
Debt
instrument
Portfolio investment
Debt securities

Other
investment
Other equity
Currency and deposit
Loans
Trade credit and advance

Reserve assets
"

iT IS NOT A COMPLETE PRESENTATION OF A BALANCE SHEET LET ALONE the ridiculous (ifbs)!

GET IT?

As you claim the "ifbs" is so "international" and "financial"

show me the net worth of EU - from where they have a language that the forum understand

@Shotgunner51

That's why we are hoping that Donald Trump wins the US Presidency. So they'll finally have to put their money where their mouth is. :enjoy: Or admit they aren't willing to handle the losses.

Enough of these "red lines" in Syria, Crimea, Philippines, and the South China Sea. When you draw a red line, you have to stick to it.

Not get your red line crossed a hundred times and pretend that nothing happened.

I am interested how Donald will make Mexicans build a wall and make them pay for it at the same time!

This would be a great business model if it works

iT IS NOT A COMPLETE PRESENTATION OF A BALANCE SHEET LET ALONE the ridiculous (ifbs)!

GET IT?

As you claim the "ifbs" is so "international" and "financial"
ALL the above quotes are reflecting 'INVESTMENTS" WHICH is just a section of CHINA's BALANCE SHEET
My bold claim is correct because the majority of the list are investments in different forms

"Direct investment
Debt
instrument
Portfolio investment
Debt securities

Other
investment
Other equity
Currency and deposit
Loans
Trade credit and advance

Reserve assets
"

GET IT?

Yes, NIIP is like a nation's "International + Financial + Balance Sheet". For your obsession with such description, it has been used in many articles, get it?

The pros say it is like external or inter-national balance sheet of a nation, but you don't like it, because according to you NIIP is not a complete presentation of balance sheet, reason being "inbound and outbound investments ONLY". Wrong, obviously isn't it? Don't change your argument, stand by your statement. "Majority" or "minority", all entries are upto IMF and central banks to decide, not you, get it?

Also, remember I have told you whatever are these "categories" of entries in either assets or liabilities, they are just NOT positions, which is assets less liabilities. Don't get wrong again and again, get it?

And what is China's NET WORTH?
show me the net worth of EU - from where they have a language that the forum understand
YOU STILL DONT GET IT
WHAT IS THE "NET WORTH OF CHINA"

I have mentioned NIIP of nations, know "net worth" of individuals, but mention nothing like "net worth" of any "nation". How about your use a language that this forum can understand to explain with is it?

Net Worth Definition | Investopedia

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom