What's new

When Charlie Hebdo Denied Freedom of Expresion to its Cartoonist

Areesh

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A few years old news but very relevant today:

A Left-wing cartoonist is to go on trial on Tuesday on charges of anti-Semitism for suggesting Jean Sarkozy, the son of the French president, was converting to Judaism for financial reasons.

Maurice Sinet, 80, who works under the pen name Sine, faces charges of "inciting racial hatred" for a column he wrote last July in the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo. The piece sparked a summer slanging match among the Parisian intelligentsia and ended in his dismissal from the magazine.

"L'affaire Sine" followed the engagement of Mr Sarkozy, 22, to Jessica Sebaoun-Darty, the Jewish heiress of an electronic goods chain. Commenting on an unfounded rumour that the president's son planned to convert to Judaism, Sine quipped: "He'll go a long way in life, that little lad."

A high-profile political commentator slammed the column as linking prejudice about Jews and social success. Charlie Hebdo's editor, Philippe Val, asked Sinet to apologise but he refused, exclaiming: "I'd rather cut my balls off."

Mr Val's decision to fire Sine was backed by a group of eminent intellectuals, including the philosopher Bernard-Henry Lévy, but parts of the libertarian Left defended him, citing the right to free speech.

Last week, the anti-capitalist, anti-clerical Sine, who recently founded his own weekly magazine, Sine Hebdo, took Claude Askolovitch, the journalist who first accused him of anti-Semitism, to court for slander in a separate case.

"When I heard that I was being treated as anti-Semitic, my blood ran cold," he said during the trial, adding that if Mr Askolovitch had turned up in person, "it is not a trial he would have had but a head butt."

Sine is the defendant in Tuesday's court case in Lyon, southern France. The plaintiff is the anti-racism and anti-Semitism group, Licra.

The issue of anti-Semitism, already sensitive in a country still marked by the Alfred Dreyfus affair - the Jewish army captain wrongly accused of spying in the 19th century – has become even more charged in recent weeks due to Israel's Gaza offensive; France was hit by a series of anti-Semitic acts, including firebomb attacks on synagogues.

The young Mr Sarkozy, who is now the leader of his father's party in the president's old fiefdom, the chic Paris suburb of Neuilly-sur-Seine, has since married. He has denied converting to Judaism.

French cartoonist Sine on trial on charges of anti-Semitism over Sarkozy jibe - Telegraph

PS: Dedicated to all the Pakistanis who were like shah sai ziada shah kai wafadar after what happened in Paris a day ago.

We know it man, there is no absolute freedom of speech in Europe. Especially when it comes to WWII events or anything remotely related to a certain religious community.

But that still doesn't give anyone any right to murder people (even those media persons who are equally extremists and f* ed up in their minds to spread hatred).

The best way to protest is using your legal right with your pen and using right of protest, bycott etc.

I sincerely hope that Muslims focus on more important things in life than these. These media goons won't stop, this is their bread and butter. Lets learn from our Chinese friends, completely ignore these hate mongers in media and concentrate on your nation building..

We must all unite against any form of extremism, we are already wittnessing what kind of havoc it is spreading in our own country..

We know it man, there is no absolute freedom of speech in Europe. Especially when it comes to WWII events or anything remotely related to a certain religious community.

But that still doesn't give anyone any right to murder people (even those media persons who are equally extremists and f* ed up in their minds to spread hatred).

The best way to protest is using your legal right with your pen and using right of protest, bycott etc.

I sincerely hope that Muslims focus on more important things in life than these. These media goons won't stop, this is their bread and butter. Lets learn from our Chinese friends, completely ignore these hate mongers in media and concentrate on your nation building..

We must all unite against any form of extremism, we are already wittnessing what kind of havoc it is spreading in our own country..

Not justifying the violence but it is important to expose the bigots and hypocrites. Or else you would spend your whole time giving explanations like if you are guilty of something. People say Paris attack would increase Islamophobia. I say no Paris attack would just expose more islamophobes.

Not justifying the violence but it is important to expose the bigots and hypocrites. Or else you would spend your whole time giving explanations like if you are guilty of something. People say Paris attack would increase Islamophobia. I say no Paris attack would just expose more islamophobes.

I think Muslims should invest heavily in media and create organisations which can compete with likes of BBC, CNN etc.

In today's world, perception is more important than reality, this is what we have learnt from all those top US officials who come on TV and bluntly tell us black is actually white, and everyone seems to believe it.

Still doesn't justify killing someone but French have always been a bunch of racist hypocrites.

Nobody is justifying anything. But as said earlier. It is important to expose such double standards or else you would spend you whole life giving explanations and excuses as if you are guilty of something in front of Islamophobic bigots like Indians.

Nobody is justifying anything. But as said earlier. It is important to expose such double standards or else you would spend you whole life giving explanations and excuses as if you are guilty of something in front of Islamophobic bigots like Indians.

Don't worry about Indians, the whole world knows what a bunch of rapists they are. I speak to women here and mention Indians and India and they get disgusted and are scared to go there or have sexual relations with them. Don't worry its just hot air from them.

When I talk in Canada or Anywhere in the world about Pakistanis they get disgusted how much terrorist they are and can blow themselves anytime.

IF you get the reference then Stop posting BS!

Just shows that you are not only a bigot yourself. You also hang out with some gora bigots too. :lol:

Last edited:
I'd rather be generalized as a terrorist than a rapist. I respect women. :rofl:
Your crime, your choice! Keep your BS radio on.

Just shows that you are not a bigot yourself. You also hang out with some gora bigots too. :lol:
You are old and known RACIST and in my ignorant list. This was for FYI purpose, no further communication expected.

He shouldn't have been charged with anti-semitism, but zionists control the media, is that your intention? Control our media like the Jews and Christians, will that make you happy? Please excuse me as I flush freedom down the toilet again. :(

Back
Top Bottom