What's new

Whatever

@Armstrong @KingMamba can you guys let me know what the situation about Kashmir is all about? How did it start, what are the positions now and what do actual Kashmiris feel about it? I knew relatively nothing about the issue until I watched this episode of VICE talking about the India-Pakistan border.

@Armstrong @KingMamba can you guys let me know what the situation about Kashmir is all about? How did it start, what are the positions now and what do actual Kashmiris feel about it? I knew relatively nothing about the issue until I watched this episode of VICE talking about the India-Pakistan border.

Basically it started with the partition of the Indian subcontinent, Muslim majority parts of the subcontinent was supposed to go to Pakistan and Hindu majority to India but the ruler of Kashmir at the time was a Hindu so he wanted to join neither side in order to preserve his power. Anyway since there were so many Muslims in Kashmir he started trying to kill as many as you could so that the demographics would be more favorable to him, seeing this Pakistan rallied the Pashtun tribes who then went into Kashmir as irregulars and fought with the forces of the Hindu ruler. Anyway his forces were about to be overrun so he appealed to India for help but India demanded he sign a paper of succession to India before military support which he decided to do because he was a day or two away from losing his capital. Then India airlifted troops into Kashmir which prompted Pakistan to send its regular troops in as well. Anyway neither side could make up much ground after that and when a cease fire was announced the region was basically carved into two based on who held what at the time.

Today Kashmir on the Indian side has a Muslim majority still who want either independence of merger with Pakistan (most want outright independence) while the non Muslims of Kashmir want to stay with India because they are scared for their lives. The next war that followed was a Pakistani attempt to snatch Kashmir away from India due to better military at the time but the Indians managed to hold Pakistan off, then India got revenge in 1971 by interfering in the Pakistani civil war and helping facilitate the country known as Bangladesh today. There was another limited war in 1999 over the mountains of Kashmir but after that it has been a stalemate.

India has to keep a huge armed force inside Kashmir just to keep the population in line as there are often rebellions that spring up here and there. Their soldiers are given immunity for the most part and they are known for their human rights abuses against the Muslims of Kashmir which as you can expect does not help the situation.

Its a long story ! :(

When India & Pakistan were created out of British India, the Muslim Majority areas became Pakistan whilst the Non Muslim Majority Areas became India !

The Princely States like Kashmir were to be decided over by their Rulers; in case of Kashmir - a Muslim Majority State (70-80% Muslim back then) - the People wanted to be with Pakistan with a small minority favoring Independence whilst the Non Muslims from amongst them favored India !

When the Ruler of Kashmir wasn't complying with Popular Demand after having signed a Stand Still Agreement with Kashmir the Muslims of Kashmir agitated & were massacred by him thats when many of them picked up arms to fight & others from across what became Pakistan came to their aid - senseless killing of Muslims & Non Muslims alike is what followed just like in Northern India, in Hyderabad & in the Punjab !

Pakistan & India fought a short war in '48 & it was decided that the Kashmiris will be allowed the Right of Self Determination to choose Pakistan or India - That referendum hasn't occurred still hence the continued issue !

Kashmir is dotted with mass graves, a lot of missing people, a lot of widows, half-widows, orphans & cases of rape & other human rights violations !

@KingMamba @Armstrong thanks for the explanation guys. So what do you see as the future of Kashmir? What does the UN say about it? Do you think it is a no-win situation that will continue as it is for the foreseeable future?

Kashmir is dotted with mass graves, a lot of missing people, a lot of widows, half-widows, orphans & cases of rape & other human rights violations !

:cry:Sorry to hear that bro, I can imagine how much that hurts you as a Kashmiri. I wish the best for the future of your people. :)

@KingMamba @Armstrong thanks for the explanation guys. So what do you see as the future of Kashmir? What does the UN say about it? Do you think it is a no-win situation that will continue as it is for the foreseeable future?

:cry:Sorry to hear that bro, I can imagine how much that hurts you as a Kashmiri. I wish the best for the future of your people. :)

The UN is obviously a useless organization but after Pakistan lost the 1971 war with India, India made sure to include terms in the peace agreement that stated UN is now a non party to talks in exchange for the pow they held of Pakistan. Obviously many Pakistanis hold a special love for the plight of their brothers but many like me now see that it is pretty much a lost cause unless Pakistan wants to risk all its marbles in another war.

@SinaG

250px-Kashmir_border.JPG

This is the map of the region in question, you see the circled orange that is where most of the Muslims are concentrated so I think the best case scenario would be for Pakistan to badger India into granting them some sort of autonomy but Indians are arrogant and their forces are powerful today so they see no reason to make a compromise.

how about now?
191040039.jpg
:undecided:
Hunting_wallpapers_98.jpg
images
tiger_amur_tiger_aggression_teeth_snow_hunting_25897_1280x720.jpg

The third one was my avatar in fact :D Honestly if i selected the first or the last one i highly doubt anyone would ever even read my post let alone reply one :lol: though i must admit i am tempted to keep either of them for this precise reason.

Back
Top Bottom