What's new

What ya eating?

Jerky is available here in the supermarkets but it's not halal so I haven't tried it yet. Basically it looks the same.
but not taste wise; you will spit it out; that is how bad it is.

"
Comparison to jerky[edit]

Beef jerky
Biltong differs from jerky in three distinct ways:

• The meat used in biltong can be much thicker due to the slower drying time in dry air conditions; typically biltong meat is cut in strips approximately 1" (25 mm) wide – but can be thicker. Jerky is normally very thin meat.
  • The vinegar, salt and spices in biltong, together with the drying process, cure the meat as well as adding texture and flavour. Jerky is traditionally dried with salt but without vinegar.
  • Jerky is often smoked; biltong is never smoked."

Its interesting to know about biltong though, never heard of it before.
It's the first time I've heard of biltong as well. I am not very familiar with african cuisine. Except for Egypt (Cairo, Sharm al Sheik, Luxor) I haven't wisited any African country either. So it's all new and exciting for me. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

Pakoray with hot red chili and mint chutney. :smitten:

20190628_162319.jpg
20190628_162325.jpg
20190628_162338.jpg

Man i remembered you; made aprox 3 periperi chickens the other day. All went down by people visiting hands down compliments.

Another thing we make here is mielie pap. It is made from corn meal, in hot boiling water, put salt, then start to add corn meal and keep on stirring until it becomes thick. This is our regular staple plus meat/veggies. To go with it, we have onion, tomato, periperi pepper, garlic thick stew to accompany it; or we can add baked beans into it as well with red peppers. attached that photo.

Give that receipe a try; you wont eat any other marinated chicken again. Vinegar and lemon combination is key.

this is last attempt at making mango pickles - came out good.

20190407_105850[1].jpg

chakalaka.jpg

Not sure guys, been doing a lot of lemon preserves - moroccan style. works well. Hoping if this works, may just go a bit of commercial preserves.

It's the first time I've heard of biltong as well. I am not very familiar with african cuisine. Except for Egypt (Cairo, Sharm al Sheik, Luxor) I haven't wisited any African country either. So it's all new and exciting for me. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
South african cuisine is very unique; it is a melting pot of dutch, javanese, sub-continent, portugese influences; we take and assimulate. For a foodie, this is a paradise to be in.

Man i remembered you; made aprox 3 periperi chickens the other day. All went down by people visiting hands down compliments.

Another thing we make here is mielie pap. It is made from corn meal, in hot boiling water, put salt, then start to add corn meal and keep on stirring until it becomes thick. This is our regular staple plus meat/veggies. To go with it, we have onion, tomato, periperi pepper, garlic thick stew to accompany it; or we can add baked beans into it as well with red peppers. attached that photo.

Give that receipe a try; you wont eat any other marinated chicken again. Vinegar and lemon combination is key.

View attachment 568001

View attachment 568002

Not sure guys, been doing a lot of lemon preserves - moroccan style. works well. Hoping if this works, may just go a bit of commercial preserves.

South african cuisine is very unique; it is a melting pot of dutch, javanese, sub-continent, portugese influences; we take and assimulate. For a foodie, this is a paradise to be in.
Is the top recipe south African?

had horse with chatney and chips.
And I ate a polar bear :rolleyes:

That looks yum.
I googled dried yak meat and here's how it looks like in my region.
For seasoning we use himalaya salt, black and red pepercorns, coriander seeds and garlic. View attachment 567248
Gilgit makes dry meat? Our people dont even make dry meat and sausages, it's all just fresh stuff nowadays but I wish they had remained some of those cold meat recipes

Is the top recipe south African?

And I ate a polar bear :rolleyes:

Gilgit makes dry meat? Our people dont even make dry meat and sausages, it's all just fresh stuff nowadays but I wish they had remained some of those cold meat recipes
which one periperi chicken? yes. it is all across this region from Moz/RSA.

which one periperi chicken? yes. it is all across this region from Moz/RSA.
Looks good. I'll look for a more detailed recipe. No I've made periperi chicken (which is amazing). I was referring to mielie pap.

Looks good. I'll look for a more detailed recipe
very simple. had posted it earlier before.

cut up full chicken. keep the skin on. that is a must.

Next marinade
1 table spoon of crushed garlic
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 tablespoons of paprika (sweet chilli powder) - this is for smokyness
2 teaspoons of peri-peri chilli powder - if you dont have, just substitute with 4 teaspoons of hot cayenne pepper
1/2 cup of white vinegar or red vinegar. Sometimes i use apple cider or mixed vinegars.
1 full lemon - cut and extract all juice + pulp.
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
1 tablespoon of parsley powder
2 tablespoon of veggie oil

Mix up the marinade and and put the chicken pieces and mix by hand. leave for 24 to 48hrs.

That is all.

You will see the difference; nandos puts the chicken in salt water/bay leaf; then just baste the sauce; WRONG. That is incorrect.

Looks good. I'll look for a more detailed recipe. No I've made periperi chicken (which is amazing). I was referring to mielie pap.

Mielie pap; very very easy.

Put in around 500ml = 2 cups of water. 1 tsp of salt. 1 tsp of butter or oil.
For this you will need 1 cup of maize or corn meal (this must not be the powdered but a finer grain).

Start to warm the water up and as it is nearing the boil stage, start adding the grains and keep stirring until all is in. then it is just around 5min from then; keep stirring otherwise it will thicken hard; Once it hits the boil, lower the temperature to low and keep stirring until you get it to the consistence of regular boiled rice. Remove from pan.

That is all.

Personally i prefer the yellow mealie corn; but others here prefer white; just yellow is better flavouring in my opinion.

very simple. had posted it earlier before.

cut up full chicken. keep the skin on. that is a must.

Next marinade
1 table spoon of crushed garlic
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 tablespoons of paprika (sweet chilli powder) - this is for smokyness
2 teaspoons of peri-peri chilli powder - if you dont have, just substitute with 4 teaspoons of hot cayenne pepper
1/2 cup of white vinegar or red vinegar. Sometimes i use apple cider or mixed vinegars.
1 full lemon - cut and extract all juice + pulp.
1 tablespoon of coriander powder
1 tablespoon of parsley powder
2 tablespoon of veggie oil

Mix up the marinade and and put the chicken pieces and mix by hand. leave for 24 to 48hrs.

That is all.

You will see the difference; nandos puts the chicken in salt water/bay leaf; then just baste the sauce; WRONG. That is incorrect.

Mielie pap; very very easy.

Put in around 500ml = 2 cups of water. 1 tsp of salt. 1 tsp of butter or oil.
For this you will need 1 cup of maize or corn meal (this must not be the powdered but a finer grain).

Start to warm the water up and as it is nearing the boil stage, start adding the grains and keep stirring until all is in. then it is just around 5min from then; keep stirring otherwise it will thicken hard; Once it hits the boil, lower the temperature to low and keep stirring until you get it to the consistence of regular boiled rice. Remove from pan.

That is all.
Looks like I've been doing it all wrong. I only used the nandos periperi sause. I'll try it this way now but does the peri-peri chilli powder taste different then cayenne pepper

Looks like I've been doing it all wrong. I only used the nandos periperi sause. I'll try it this way now but does the peri-peri chilli powder taste different then cayenne pepper
No, dont use nandos sauce at all. not required.

Yes, periperi taste is very distinct; it has a floral note with heat. Hence one way to get around is to add paprika plus cayenne; it will be close enough. I just had dinner with dried peri-peri.

nandos is a rip off. Dont use their sauce in the marinade it is not required and you will not appreciate the actually braai'ed chicken. It is over powering.

Personally, i no longer use nandos here; you will go crazy if you ever come this side of the world in terms of sauces especially periperi or braai sauces; entire rows upon rows with tonnes of different brands. I now use Wellingtons here or Zulu is also good. But best sauce for peri-peri is from Malawi - Nali sauce - man you better be near a toilet at night as it will hit pretty hard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nali_Sauce

Lowkey turning this into a food show.
:) it is great; keep it up.

At least it is a difference chill session here.

I forgot; when you put the chicken in the marinate; just let it sit over night in the fridge; I use a stainless steel pot and cover it to let it do the magic. When you braai, use a brush, dont throw that marinate away; every few min after you turn, you spread it over it.

Let me know. I can guarantee you will never eat Nandos again. This is the correct periperi way vs Nando's quasi way which puts sauce at the end.

Also, i make my own peri-peri sauce:
1 entire bulb of garlic
1 lemon - take out juice and pulp
1 cup of white vinegar
3 tablespoons of regular veggie oil - DONOT USE OLIVE OIL - it will go bitter
1 yellow onion
1 tablespoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
10 peri-peri peppers or you can substitute of thai chilli (red ones)
1 1/4 bell pepper
1 teaspoon of black pepper
2 tablespoons of paprika

Mix up the ingredients into a blender; if you use on marinade then just use it as is; but for sauce; you need to put into a pot; let to come to a boil and cool down; put in a bottle.

That is all. Other also will put in a bay leaf when they are boiling.

Dried meat recipes are a dying art in northern area's because as I mentioned earlier, there's a wide fresh meat supply throughout the year. Northern area's have culinary roots in Pamir and Tibet hence there's much similarity. Best Yak meat is still brought in by the nomads from Tajikstan because imports from Ladakh have almost come to a halt.

How I wish we were neighbors. I would harass you and probably end up getting a restraing order lol. :p:

View attachment 568001

View attachment 568002
Damn that looks mouthwatering good. Let it ripe in the sun for a few weeks to get best result.
Btw I don't see any seeds that form the basis of any pickles in the subcontinent, i.e. mustard seed, fenugreek seed and fennel.

I buy them ready made from the Moroccan shop as we don't have enough sun here to preserve it properly. :undecided:

Back
Top Bottom