What's new

What ya eating?

portugese - mostly from moz or angola. this is what my friend's mom taught me.
authentic is over slow medium charcoal.

but the main thing is to have the peri-peri chilli. that is a must. it is fruity but hot; unlike the west indies peppers - lot of heat but no flavour. here we plant it on our land; plenty and lives on for 5 yrs or so; gives tonnes of peppers.

Do you make biltong or dried meat? It is cold now, so i may make some over the weekend. marinate wild game meat in strips in vinegar, rock salt, coriander for 24 hrs; then hang it up like strips in open air. after 6 - 7 days ready to eat.

I don't have Portuguese friends hence never tried their piri piri version.
I am from the northern highlands of Pakistan and dried meat is a feast indeed. We usually dry meat for longer periods than 6-7 days only. Usually it's heavily pickled with himalaya salt and vinegar and then sun dried while hanging on a line or under a tree. We use it it the winter and yak meat with apricot oil is the best choice.

I don't have Portuguese friends hence never tried their piri piri version.
I am from the northern highlands of Pakistan and dried meat is a feast indeed. We usually dry meat for longer periods than 6-7 days only. Usually it's heavily pickled with himalaya salt and vinegar and then sun dried while hanging on a line or under a tree. We use it it the winter and yak meat with apricot oil is the best choice.
yes do you cook it or eat it as is. we eat it as is. normally either it is beef or game. sometime ostrich but i cant stand ostrich unless you have a good floss to keep handy :)

yes do you cook it or eat it as is. we eat it as is. normally either it is beef or game. sometime ostrich but i cant stand ostrich unless you have a good floss to keep handy :)

It's pickled and sundried so it's ready to eat as it is. We never cook it. The meat gets really dark and has a very strong flavor. It's chewy as well.
We gather around the fire with a nice cup of traditional tea with yak butter and a large chunk of dried meat is served on a big plate with a dagger and apricot oil for dipping. Everyone gets to cut or slice the meat himself and pass on. It's almost the same with Parma ham in Spain or Italy; serve and slice on the spot with a dagger and tell stories. It's very good way to spend quality time together.

It's pickled and sundried so it's ready to eat as it is. We never cook it. The meat gets really dark and has a very strong flavor. It's chewy as well.
We gather around the fire with a nice cup of traditional tea with yak butter and a large chunk of dried meat is served on a big plate with a dagger and apricot oil for dipping. Everyone gets to cut or slice the meat himself and pass on. It's almost the same with Parma ham in Spain or Italy; serve and slice on the spot with a dagger and tell stories. It's very good way to spend quality time together.
yes then it is same as biltong. it is with us even when in the field as a mandatory food ration.

yes then it is same as biltong. it is with us even when in the field as a mandatory food ration.

Summer is short in my region as the snow starts melting in late April and the tempertures start to rise from May. Meat is preserved from August to September for the winter. But fresh meat supply is there throughout the year so we don't have to preserve meat. Dried meat is not as common as it used to be with older generations.

Summer is short in my region as the snow starts melting in late April and the tempertures start to rise from May. Meat is preserved from August to September for the winter. But fresh meat supply is there throughout the year so we don't have to preserve meat. Dried meat is not as common as it used to be with older generations.
here it is everywhere; biltong is a staple snack food :). come here and you will be home. Air Botswana on their flights, gives a package of biltong as well.

Here is my impala biltong.

Attachments

• IMG_3328.JPG
    IMG_3328.JPG
    514.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
here it is everywhere; biltong is a staple snack food :). come here and you will be home. Air Botswana on their flights, gives a package of biltong as well.

Here is my impala biltong.
That looks yum.
I googled dried yak meat and here's how it looks like in my region.
For seasoning we use himalaya salt, black and red pepercorns, coriander seeds and garlic.
800px_COLOURBOX23333049.jpg

That looks yum.
For seasoning we use himalaya salt, black and red pepercorns, coriander seeds and garlic. View attachment 567248
That looks yum.
For seasoning we use himalaya salt, black and red pepercorns, coriander seeds and garlic. View attachment 567248
Yes this is like our biltong. attaching periperi prawns from a family lunch :)

impala kebabs mixed with sheep fat.

Attachments

• IMG_3435.JPG
    IMG_3435.JPG
    546.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3463.JPG
    IMG_3463.JPG
    446.3 KB · Views: 38
That looks yum.

This reminds me of what is called "jerky" here.

Basically its smoked and dry-cured + seasoned meat. It is from native american culture originally to preserve meat for later use in harsher months.

Basically its smoked and dry-cured + seasoned meat. It is from native american culture originally to preserve meat for later use in harsher months.
nope..... smoking immediately makes it a different species; sorry - it is yukkh. we stand by our biltong which is sundried vs smoked.

nope..... smoking immediately makes it a different species; sorry - it is yukkh. we stand by our biltong which is sundried vs smoked.

The smoking is optional tbh (though traditional depending on the meat), the main part is the dry-curing + seasoning

tswana dish - magunyas. yums!. must have at least 1 week.

The smoking is optional tbh (though traditional depending on the meat), the main part is the dry-curing + seasoning
biltong is with vinegar, salt, coriander, black pepper. No way is biltong like jerky. trust me on that.

Attachments

• IMG_3464.JPG
    IMG_3464.JPG
    398.7 KB · Views: 23
tswana dish - magunyas. yums!. must have at least 1 week.

biltong is with vinegar, salt, coriander, black pepper. No way is biltong like jerky. trust me on that.

There is high variation in jerky, there is no complete standard to it. Just like most preserved, cured meats in general. I'm sure there is high variety in biltong as well.

No one is saying they are mostly the same thing....but they are definitely the same general concept....so its why it (and more specifically the himalayan preserved yak zeeshaun posted) reminded me of jerky. Its why google shows the discussion on the similarities and differences:

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=o......0..35i39j0i67j0i131j0j0i20i263.iep9rFk6yaQ

Its interesting to know about biltong though, never heard of it before.

There is high variation in jerky, there is no complete standard to it. Just like most preserved, cured meats in general. I'm sure there is high variety in biltong as well.

No one is saying they are mostly the same thing....but they are definitely the same general concept....so its why it (and more specifically the himalayan preserved yak zeeshaun posted) reminded me of jerky. Its why google shows the discussion on the similarities and differences:

https://www.google.ca/search?safe=off&source=hp&ei=cDAVXeTKI8eD5wLwzoPgAQ&q=is+biltong+jerky?&oq=is+biltong+jerky?&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i22i30l7.682.3507..3761...1.0..0.131.1792.17j2......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..35i39j0i67j0i131j0j0i20i263.iep9rFk6yaQ

Its interesting to know about biltong though, never heard of it before.
trust me we are meat eaters thru and thru; biltong vs jerky can start wars :).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

Jerky is available here in the supermarkets but it's not halal so I haven't tried it yet. Basically it looks the same.

Back
Top Bottom