What's new

What it's like inside the internment camps China uses to oppress its Muslim minority, according to p

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Screen Shot 2018-09-01 at 11.37.45 AM.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06jvzh2

What it's like inside the internment camps China uses to oppress its Muslim minority, according to people who've been there

http://uk.businessinsider.com/life-...ority-in-xinjiang-bbc-report-2018-8?r=US&IR=T

New details have emerged of the re-education camps in which China has been accused of imprisoning up to 1 million Uighurs, a majority-Muslim ethnic minority, in the country's western region of Xinjiang.

Political prisoners in those camps are both physically and mentally tortured, two eyewitnesses of the camp told BBC Newsnight in a documentary aired on Thursday night.

One, named Azat, had been in a detention centre to visit a detainee, while the other, named Omir, had been imprisoned in one of the camps. Both are Uighurs, and have since fled Xinjiang, the BBC said. The broadcaster did not disclose Azat or Omir's current locations because they feared retribution from the Chinese government.

Omir, who was detained in Karamay, north Xinjiang, described being shackled to a chair, deprived of sleep, and beaten by police in his camp.

He told the BBC:

"They have a chair called the 'tiger.' My ankles were shackled, my hands locked to the chair. I couldn't move. They wouldn't let me sleep. They also hung me up for hours, and they beat me.

"They had thick wooden and rubber batons, whips made from twisted wire, needles to pierce the skin, pliers for pulling out your nails.

"All these tools were displayed on the table in front of me, ready for use at any time. You could hear other people screaming as well."

omir%20xinjiang%20uighur%20bbc%20newsnight.png

Omir describes being tortured by Chinese police at an internment camp in Karamay, Xinjiang. BBC Newsnight

Omir added that he was later moved to another internment camp, where he was forced to share a small room with 45 other people. They took turns sleeping because there was so little space, he told the BBC.

He said he ended up in a camp after police accused him of aiding Islamic extremists — an allegation he has denied.

China justifies its surveillance and crackdown in Xinjiang as preventing terrorism, and has repeatedly accused militant Uighurs of starting terrorist attacks across the country since at least the mid-1990s.

Omir's account squares with previous reporting on the camps, such as that by Simon Denyer of The Washington Post published this May. Kayrat Samarkand, another Uighur who had been imprisoned in a re-education camp, also described being strapped in the "tiger chair" and being waterboarded if he disobeyed orders.

Last edited:
View attachment 495977

What it's like inside the internment camps China uses to oppress its Muslim minority, according to people who've been there

http://uk.businessinsider.com/life-...ority-in-xinjiang-bbc-report-2018-8?r=US&IR=T

New details have emerged of the re-education camps in which China has been accused of imprisoning up to 1 million Uighurs, a majority-Muslim ethnic minority, in the country's western region of Xinjiang.

Political prisoners in those camps are both physically and mentally tortured, two eyewitnesses of the camp told BBC Newsnight in a documentary aired on Thursday night.

One, named Azat, had been in a detention centre to visit a detainee, while the other, named Omir, had been imprisoned in one of the camps. Both are Uighurs, and have since fled Xinjiang, the BBC said. The broadcaster did not disclose Azat or Omir's current locations because they feared retribution from the Chinese government.

Omir, who was detained in Karamay, north Xinjiang, described being shackled to a chair, deprived of sleep, and beaten by police in his camp.

He told the BBC:

"They have a chair called the 'tiger.' My ankles were shackled, my hands locked to the chair. I couldn't move. They wouldn't let me sleep. They also hung me up for hours, and they beat me.

"They had thick wooden and rubber batons, whips made from twisted wire, needles to pierce the skin, pliers for pulling out your nails.

"All these tools were displayed on the table in front of me, ready for use at any time. You could hear other people screaming as well."

Omir describes being tortured by Chinese police at an internment camp in Karamay, Xinjiang. BBC Newsnight

Omir added that he was later moved to another internment camp, where he was forced to share a small room with 45 other people. They took turns sleeping because there was so little space, he told the BBC.

He said he ended up in a camp after police accused him of aiding Islamic extremists — an allegation he has denied.

China justifies its surveillance and crackdown in Xinjiang as preventing terrorism, and has repeatedly accused militant Uighurs of starting terrorist attacks across the country since at least the mid-1990s.

Omir's account squares with previous reporting on the camps, such as that by Simon Denyer of The Washington Post published this May. Kayrat Samarkand, another Uighur who had been imprisoned in a re-education camp, also described being strapped in the "tiger chair" and being waterboarded if he disobeyed orders.
Only an Indian is so OBSESSED WITH ANTI CHINA FAKE NEWS.
SO MUCH BS.
That would be YOU.

Links From @faithfulguy & @powastick
https://grayzoneproject.com/2018/08/23/un-did-not-report-china-internment-camps-uighur-muslims/
No, the UN Did Not Report China Has ‘Massive Internment Camps’ for Uighur Muslims
A spokesperson from the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) confirmed in a statement to the Grayzone that the allegation of Chinese “camps” was not made by the United Nations, but rather by a member of an independent committee that does not speak for the UN as a whole. That member happened to be the only American on the committee, and one with no background of scholarship or research on China.

Last edited:
Stop posting fake news. No wonder someone as cynical as Trump can get elected. This is because the American establishment media is so fake that even when they tell truth about trump, no matter how truthful, many Americans don’t believe them. In another word, the media lies and cry wolf so much that when a real wolf like Trump comes along, no one believe them.

View attachment 495977

He told the BBC:

omir%20xinjiang%20uighur%20bbc%20newsnight.png

It is really a shame that none of the so called Islamic nations like Saudi Arabia and Pak are standing up to Chinese atrocities.

It is really a shame that none of the so called Islamic nations like Saudi Arabia and Pak are standing up to Chinese atrocities.

What atrocities? There are none in China.

Shouldn't you as an Indian oppose the killing and rape of Indian Muslims before lecturing others about human rights?

Stop posting fake news. No wonder someone as cynical as Trump can get elected. This is because the American establishment media is so fake that even when they tell truth about trump, no matter how truthful, many Americans don’t believe them. In another word, the media lies and cry wolf so much that when a real wolf like Trump comes along, no one believe them.

Hey if I could i’d go back and adjust the title of the UN article to clarify the group”s misrepresentation I would. I just repost articles I don’t write them.

However that doesn’t negate that Muslim groups have been testifying that people are being held in re-education camps in China for simply being Muslim. I don’t think many people here are going to just shrug it all off with the crude stock “oh well it’s just typical crazy Muslim lying” response that occurs on other boards which stops threads in their tracks.

I’m not writing these articles. However it’s good for this to come to the front page as more fact digging will finally result and people will eventually find out who is lying..the Chinese government..or that particular Muslim community. Then the uncomfortable soul-searching begins about the “inconvenient truth”...if people were smart they should be asking those questions now.

Last edited:
What atrocities? There are none in China.

Shouldn't you as an Indian oppose the killing and rape of Indian Muslims before lecturing others about human rights?

I oppose all killing and rape everywhere in the world.
Sure, there are no atrocities in China. Keep living in your make-believe world.
I don't need anyone's permission to speak about any issues - that's how democracies work.

I oppose all killing and rape everywhere in the world.
Sure, there are no atrocities in China. Keep living in your make-believe world.
I don't need anyone's permission to speak about any issues - that's how democracies work.

...and we dont need crocodile tears from the most racist and Intolerant people in the world.

How ironic is it that while you post fake news about Muslim oppression, you're countrymen are out on the streets lynching and beating anyone even remotely Muslim.

...and we dont need crocodile tears from the most racist and Intolerant people in the world.

How ironic is it that while you post fake news about Muslim oppression, you're countrymen are out on the streets lynching and beating anyone even remotely Muslim.
LOL - look who is talking about crocodile tears. If a Muslim steps out on a street in India, he is less likely to be killed than when a Muslim steps out on a street in Pakistan. And that is quite an achievement for a country which is over 95% Muslim.

LOL - look who is talking about crocodile tears. If a Muslim steps out on a street in India, he is less likely to be killed than when a Muslim steps out on a street in Pakistan. And that is quite an achievement for a country which is over 95% Muslim.

Right because law enforcement is the same as systematic and societal oppression. Boy, you Indians continuously raise the bar for dumbest comments dont you?

Right because law enforcement is the same as systematic and societal oppression. Boy, you Indians continuously raise the bar for dumbest comments dont you?

Law enforcement? LOL. Are you suggesting that the oppression of Ahmadiyas, Shias and other minorities in Pakistan is a law enforcement problem? Like the lynching of that poor student? Or the massacre of the school kids? Or god knows how killings and bomb blasts? Boy, you Pakistanis continue lower the bar of any discourse by burying your heads in the sand.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom