What's new

What is the problem with Iran and JF-17?

Aspen

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I cannot for the life of me understand why Pakistan has not already sold Iran a couple dozen JF-17's.

Pakistan has been in desperate need of cash for the past year and the economy is in the toilet. Somehow Pakistan has not figured out that to make money you need to increase exports. JF-17 is probably the most important export Pakistan has.

Iran needs to improve their Air Force. West is not selling to Iran, so that leaves Russia or Pakistan. What is the problem with Iran and JF-17? Pakistan needs cash and Iran needs planes. JF-17 doesn't use any western parts which means Iran doesn't have to worry about any restrictions. Pakistan can sell dozens of JF-17's and log a giant boost to the economy since at least half of Iran's Air Force should be replaced and they are a big buyer with plenty of money. If sanctions are the problem, Pakistan can sell them under the table without any acknowledgement of the deal. It is kind of amazing that Iran doesn't already have JF-17's, it is the most obvious deal Pakistan could make. Pakistan desperately needs a big export boost for economy, Iran desperately needs new planes for Air Force, Iran JF-17 deal should be a no brainer for both sides at this point. It is hard to believe Iran JF-17 deal has not already happened. I thought it would've happened 5 years ago.

West is not selling to Iran, so that leaves Russia or Pakistan.
So you automatically left out China that deals with Iran directly when it comes to Oil & doesn't give two-shits to US Sanctions.
.If sanctions are the problem, Pakistan can sell them under the table without any acknowledgement of the deal.
When you speak of under the table, I assume you're now bringing China into the conversation.

You reside in the US. Do you take the Americans for fools? Just 'cause China doesn't fear 'bout US Sanctions, doesn't mean Pakistan doesn't. JF-17, though is a Joint Venture between both countries, but its really Pakistan's baby. If a JF-17 ends up in Iran, how long do you think the CIA & NSA will be up our *** in finding out 'bout how they got there in the first place.

Scratch two Nations off that list. Iran & Bangladesh.

I cannot for the life of me understand why Pakistan has not already sold Iran a couple dozen JF-17's.

Pakistan has been in desperate need of cash for the past year and the economy is in the toilet. Somehow Pakistan has not figured out that to make money you need to increase exports. JF-17 is probably the most important export Pakistan has.

Iran needs to improve their Air Force. West is not selling to Iran, so that leaves Russia or Pakistan. What is the problem with Iran and JF-17? Pakistan needs cash and Iran needs planes. JF-17 doesn't use any western parts which means Iran doesn't have to worry about any restrictions. Pakistan can sell dozens of JF-17's and log a giant boost to the economy since at least half of Iran's Air Force should be replaced and they are a big buyer with plenty of money. If sanctions are the problem, Pakistan can sell them under the table without any acknowledgement of the deal. It is kind of amazing that Iran doesn't already have JF-17's, it is the most obvious deal Pakistan could make. Pakistan desperately needs a big export boost for economy, Iran desperately needs new planes for Air Force, Iran JF-17 deal should be a no brainer for both sides at this point. It is hard to believe Iran JF-17 deal has not already happened. I thought it would've happened 5 years ago.

have you checked oil prices lately ??

what do you think Saudis and UAE are going to do if Pakistan exports JF-17 ?

Who is going to supply the jet engines for the deal ?

"sell them under the table without any acknowledgement"
Do you understand you are selling a combat aircraft ? I assume Iranians will want to fly it

Is the OP trying to blame Iran or suggesting something is wrong with Iran?

He should be careful. Pakistan sees Iran as an extension of her own security.

Iran should take its time to decide which technology it chooses to go with when it comes to 4th and 5th generation fighters.

So you automatically left out China that deals with Iran directly when it comes to Oil & doesn't give two-shits to US Sanctions.

When you speak of under the table, I assume you're now bringing China into the conversation.

You reside in the US. Do you take the Americans for fools? Just 'cause China doesn't fear 'bout US Sanctions, doesn't mean Pakistan doesn't. JF-17, though is a Joint Venture between both countries, but its really Pakistan's baby. If a JF-17 ends up in Iran, how long do you think the CIA & NSA will be up our *** in finding out 'bout how they got there in the first place.

Pakistan would love to sell to Bangladesh just to piss off India
Of course Indian spies can steal one aircraft for reverse engineering

Will US figure out Pakistan sold Iran JF-17's? Eventually yes.

But US has been doing everything possible to sabotage arms sales to Pakistan including not selling Viper helicopters and even going as far as to block Turkey from selling Pakistan T129 too. US is also turning pro-India by the day selling India anything it wants, you name it. What does Pakistan have to lose by selling Iran JF-17's? Even if they sanction it, Pakistan will more than likely still make a net profit which is crucially needed to boost the economy. Pakistan should gain some leverage, if US has no problems blocking T129 from Turkey, then Pakistan should show the US it has no problems selling Iran JF-17. For all of US talk about investing in Pakistan, they haven't actually done anything. US is barely pretending to be Pakistan's friend and is probably a bigger headache for Pakistan than a friend. China and CPEC still dwarf imaginary US commercial and military deals with Pakistan.

Last edited:
Pakistan would love to sell to Bangladesh just to piss off India
Pakistan knows that won't ever happen. Bangladesh & India are tight hommies.

Trust me, Bangladesh isn't even on the 'Consideration'.

Besides, heard Bangladesh with its booming economy are going big time West in the short future. Good for them.

In a merry hypothetical world for Pakistan, where there were no sanctions and Iran had the money to look for an aircraft, Iran would go to Russia or China a million times before coming to Pakistan to even buy a 9mm pistol. Iranians won't accept defence equipment from, what they call, 'inferior people'.

What does Pakistan have to lose by selling Iran JF-17's? Even if they sanction it, Pakistan will more than likely still make a net profit which is crucially needed to boost the economy.
You think by selling a handful of JF-17's will flourish our Economy? No, that's what SPEC is for.

Sanctions bring a lot of pain and for a Nation like Pakistan with a population of 200+ Million, will kill our nation.

Take this conversation on the JF-17 Thread where all potential Sales are mentioned.

Will US figure out Pakistan sold Iran JF-17's? Eventually yes.

But US has been doing everything possible to sabotage arms sales to Pakistan including not selling Viper helicopters and even going as far as to block Turkey from selling Pakistan T129 too. US is also turning pro-India by the day selling India anything it wants, you name it. What does Pakistan have to lose by selling Iran JF-17's? Even if they sanction it, Pakistan will more than likely still make a net profit which is needed for the economy right now. For all of US talk about investing in Pakistan, they haven't actually done anything. China and CPEC still dwarf imaginary US investment in Pakistan.

I think the issue here is that Iran, if it were to buy new combat aircraft for its dilapidated air-force, would need something that is head and shoulders above much of the rest of the competition. The Jf-17 is an amazing multi-role strike platform but wont be a worthwhile investment for Iran. Jf-17 is a relatively cheap multirole strike aircraft and wouldn't be a worthwhile investment for Iran since Iranian adversaries are fielding the best of the best in terms of Jet fighters (F-22, F-15, F-35s). Something like the Su-30SM or Su-35 would be much better investment due to how powerful they are as opposed to the Jf-17, allowing Iran to engage against the F-35s and F-15s with higher combat efficacy.

JF-17 would undoubtedly be a welcomed addition but not a needed addition is what I'm really trying to get at here.

I think the issue here is that Iran, if it were to buy new combat aircraft for its dilapidated air-force, would need something that is head and shoulders above much of the rest of the competition. The Jf-17 is an amazing multi-role strike platform but wont be a worthwhile investment for Iran. Jf-17 is a relatively cheap multirole strike aircraft and wouldn't be a worthwhile investment for Iran since Iranian adversaries are fielding the best of the best in terms of Jet fighters (F-22, F-15, F-35s). Something like the Su-30SM or Su-35 would be much better investment due to how powerful they are as opposed to the Jf-17, allowing Iran to engage against the F-35s and F-15s with higher combat efficacy.

JF-17 would undoubtedly be a welcomed addition but not a needed addition is what I'm really trying to get at here.

Valid points.

If not JF-17, I could see Iran going for Su-35, in fact maybe Pakistan should also consider Su-35 to counter Rafale until Project Azm gains traction or JF-17 gets big upgrades.

"sell them under the table without any acknowledgement"
Do you understand you are selling a combat aircraft ? I assume Iranians will want to fly it
can they not fly it under the table? albeit a big table

Iranian adversaries are fielding the best of the best in terms of Jet fighters (F-22, F-15, F-35s).
why does it feel like Iran is under the protection of them "adversaries"?

'inferior people'
pal we don't think like that.

can they not fly it under the table? albeit a big table

why does it seem like that Iran is under the protection of them "adversaries"?
sure why not Saudis test their ballistic missiles under ground, flying would be much safer.

Back
Top Bottom