What's new

What is the Best Capital City of South Asia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
delhi2nm.jpg

p1010078.jpg

greaternoidasajayatonyplw1.jpg

^^^ Tech City

393032371ddc85c7e45oah0.jpg

^^^ Delhi Gurgaon Highway.

Food for thought

India, Pakistan Capitals Vulnerable in Major Earthquakes

The recent 7.0 earthquake that caused over 200,000 deaths in Haiti has revived discussion of potential loss of life from seismic activity in many cities in the developing world, including the South Asian capitals of Islamabad, Kathmandu and New Delhi, all located close to the South Asian fault lines.

South+Asia+Fault+Lines.gif

GeoHazards International, a Palo Alto, Calif. nonprofit research organization aiming to reduce suffering due to natural disasters, predicts that a 6.0 earthquake on the Richter scale would cause tens of thousands of deaths in major cities in the developing world. Here is GeoHazards' list of top 10 major cities and their expected minimum death tolls in the developing world which are most vulnerable to major earthquakes of 6.0 (or higher) intensity:

1. Kathmandu, Nepal 69,000
2. Istanbul, Turkey 55,000
3. Delhi, India 38,000
4. Quito, Ecuador 15,000
5. Manila, Philippines 13,000
6. Islamabad/Rawalpindi, Pakistan 12,500
7. San Salvador, El Salvador 11,500
7. Mexico City, Mexico 11,500
7. Izmir, Turkey 11,500
10. Jakarta, Indonesia 11,000

San Francisco in 1989 and Haiti this year were hit by earthquakes of equal intensity of 7.0 on Richter scale; yet SF suffered only 63 deaths while the Haiti tremor has claimed over 200,000 lives.

A lower intensity 6.0 earthquake would also cause potential deaths and damage in cities like Los Angeles and Tokyo, but the much higher death toll and greater degree of destruction anticipated in developing nations has more to do with corruption, economics and engineering than geology.

The magnitude 7.6 quake that struck Kashmir and the North West Frontier regions of Pakistan in October 2005 killed over 70,000 people, many in remote parts of the country, not as dense as urban centers like Islamabad and Rawalpindi. The mountainous terrain made it specially difficult to provide disaster relief and contributed to greater casualties.

No need to be jingoist.

Every sensible person knows that Islamabad don't have world class sports infrastructure and stadiums like Delhi.
Sporting facilities

Jinnah Sports Stadium (have a capacity of 50,000 people)
Liaquat Gymnasium
Para Gliding at Margalla hills
Margalla cricket Ground
Rawalpindi cricket stadium
Islamabad club golf course
Yachting facility at Rawal lake
Islamabad club tennis courts
Mushaf Squash Complex
alot more

Islamabad don't have world class hospitals as Delhi.
SHIFA INTERNATIONAL HOSPITALS Ltd.

Islamabad don't have high standard university like Delhi.
NUST joins the elite club of "Top 300 Universities of the World”. Positions in top three disciplines are:

1). Engineering / IT : 285
2). Life Sciences / Biomedicine : 293
3). Natural Sciences : 260

Overall 350th position among 30,000 universities of the world.

Islamabad Don't have world class airport like Delhi.

Islamabad International Airport
This airport is the largest and most modern airport in Pakistan. Its total area is 3700 acres (15 km²). It will be completed within four years. It will be completed in two phases. Work on first phase has been commenced and will be completed in one year. The airport is expected to be fully operational in 2011 or 2012.

Islamabad don't have world top class public transport facilities like Delhi.
No Islamabad dont have Rickshaws:lol:, I noe you must be talking about Metro, we dont have something like that right now but president of Pakistan Asif Ali Zardari has launched The Twin cities mass transit (Islamabad and Rawalpindi). Tha transit is named as Benazir Mass Transit.

Islamabad is situated in jungle and some what planned, have very less population.
:rofl::rofl:The Rawalpindi/Islamabad Metropolitan Area is the third largest in Pakistan, with a population of over 4.5 million inhabitants.

But what's your achivement in this???

You have planted these trees?? No there was there before you make it your capital.

You have built mountains?? No there was there before you make it your capital.

You have manufactured the weather?? No it was given by nature.

what's your contribution in it????

Some of the future developments Developments in Islamabad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alot more to come :pakistan:

For India:-

JLN football stadium ,Chennai

Dr DY patil cricket Stadium,Mumbai

Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium,Delhi

indira-gandhi-indoor-stadium,delhi.jpg

No need to be jingoist.

Every sensible person knows that Islamabad don't have world class sports infrastructure and stadiums like Delhi.
Sporting facilities

Jinnah Sports Stadium (have a capacity of 50,000 people)
Liaquat Gymnasium
Para Gliding at Margalla hills
Margalla cricket Ground
Rawalpindi cricket stadium
Islamabad club golf course
Yachting facility at Rawal lake
Islamabad club tennis courts
Mushaf Squash Complex
alot more

SHIFA INTERNATIONAL HOSPITALS Ltd.

NUST joins the elite club of "Top 300 Universities of the World”. Positions in top three disciplines are:

1). Engineering / IT : 285
2). Life Sciences / Biomedicine : 293
3). Natural Sciences : 260

Overall 350th position among 30,000 universities of the world.

Islamabad International Airport
This airport is the largest and most modern airport in Pakistan. Its total area is 3700 acres (15 km²). It will be completed within four years. It will be completed in two phases. Work on first phase has been commenced and will be completed in one year. The airport is expected to be fully operational in 2011 or 2012.

No Islamabad dont have Rickshaws:lol:, I noe you must be talking about Metro, we dont have something like that right now but president of Pakistan Asif Ali Zardari has launched The Twin cities mass transit (Islamabad and Rawalpindi). Tha transit is named as Benazir Mass Transit.

:roflrofl:The Rawalpindi/Islamabad Metropolitan Area is the third largest in Pakistan, with a population of over 4.5 million inhabitants.

Some of the future developments Developments in Islamabad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alot more to come :pakistan:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i don't want to embarrass you.

1. As if you add rawalpindi the ONLY argument of Pakistanis about so called planned city, beauty etc. will fall flat.

2. How many International stadium does Islamabad has??????

3. Delhi has International stadium where International sports event get hosed. Delhi has Intentional stadium for all type of sports.

4. As for universities which ranking you are referring?? links??

I don't wanna further embarrass you guys with the ranking of IIT Delhi, DU, DTU, JNU etc.

Just Google if you want to know.

5. Delhi has one of the most reputed and truly world class hospitals. People from all over the wold comes to Delhi for their treatment.

Even people from Islamabad visits Delhi for their treatment. :cheers:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...-save-pakistani-boy-stem-cell-transplant.html

6. Don't talk about future plans as if we told you ours you will faint with shock.

We have 200 kms of existing Metro and more then 200 is under construction.

Apart from this we have world's largest fleet of environment friendly CNG Bus fleet. Our buses are low floor, high capacity, beautiful, comfortable and even A/c buses at very low ticket prices.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

your frustration explains it all, even when you are a Pakistani you dare to call Delhi slum.

India is not a developed country but you have illusions that Pakistan is developed country with out slums is pure foolishness.

Where are the GDP refrence, you people are getting desperate. Look at what your very own respected reporter wrote.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/mag/2010/05/16/stories/2010051650250700.htm

As promised, since the last time I wrote this column, I have made one more trip to Pakistan. This time I smoked honey cigars in Lahore, shopped at the Islamabad's spectacular Saeed Book Bank, heard Abida Parveen sing and went down tunnels dug by the Taliban and Al Qaeda fighters in the Hindukush hills of Bajaur in the north-west frontier province of Pakistan.

As promised, I spoke to Noor Rahman who still promises to swing by Delhi.

As promised, here is the second of my two-part series on all the things I like (should I say love and face more hate mails?) about Pakistan.

A song, what else?

Someone in Pakistan told me that this is the ultimate song of the lonesome soul. This voice is that sublime thing, music that cleanses that tedium of the mundane. Zeb and Haniya's Paimana from their album “Chup” strings melodies from melancholia and seeks solace from the silent. When you listen to it, you will seek its meaning. Here's what the words, partly in Darri/Farsi and partly in Pashto, mean:

Part one, translated from Darri/Farsi: Paimana bideh ki khumaar astam;/ Man aashiq-e chashm-e mast-e-yarastam;/ Bideh, bideh, ki khumaar astam… (Bring me the glass so I may lose myself;/I am in love with my beloved's intoxicating eyes; Bring (the glass), bring (the glass), so I may lose myself…)

Part two, translated from Pushto: Dilgeer garzama labela taana;/Khabar me waakhla, raasha jaanana;/Khabar me waakhla, raasha jaanana;/Tarso ba garzay te bela mana?(You have captured my heart and I wander aimlessly without you;/My love come/return, and see the state I'm in;/My love come/return, and see the state I'm in;/How long will you wander without me?)

For all the Atif Aslams and Stings and Junoon, this song is Pakistan to me.

Saeed Book Bank in Islamabad

Add this bookstore to the list of India-Pakistan rivalry. A bookstore so big that it is actually called a bank. The book store to beat all bookstores in the subcontinent, I have found books I have never seen anywhere in India at the three-storeyed Saeed Book Bank in leafy Islamabad. The collection is diverse, unique and with a special focus on foreign policy and subcontinental politics (I wonder why?), this bookstore is far more satisfying than any of the magazine-laden monstrosities I seem to keep trotting into in India. This time I went in to buy one book on the Taliban and came out with nine, including a delightful hardbound collection of Faiz Ahmed Faiz's poetry.

The meat

Yes, that's right. The meat. There always, always seems to be meat in every meal, everywhere in Pakistan. Every where you go, everyone you know is eating meat. From India, with its profusion of vegetarian food, it seems like a glimpse of the other world. The bazaars of Lahore are full of meat of every type and form and shape and size and in Karachi, I have eaten some of the tastiest rolls ever. For a Bengali committed to his non-vegetarianism, this is paradise regained. Also, the quality of meat always seems better, fresher, fatter, more succulent, more seductive, and somehow more tantalizingly carnal in Pakistan. I have a curious relationship with meat in Pakistan. It always inevitably makes me ill but I cannot seem to stop eating it. From the halimto the payato the nihari, it is always irresistible and sends shock shivers to the body unaccustomed to such rich food. How the Pakistanis eat such food day after day is an eternal mystery but truly you have not eaten well until you have eaten in Lahore!

The leather

Let me tell you that there is no better leather footwear than in Pakistan. I bought a pair of blue calf leather belt-ons from Karachi two years ago and I wear them almost everyday and not a dent or scratch! Not even the slightest tear. They are by far the best footwear I have ever bought and certainly the most comfortable. Indian leather is absolutely no match for the sheer quality and handcraftsmanship of Pakistani leather wear.

The roads

Yes. Yes, you read right. The roads. I used to live in Mumbai and now I live in Delhi and, yes, I think good roads are a great, mammoth, gargantuan luxury! Face it, when did you last see a good road in India? Like a really smooth road. Drivable, wide, nicely built and long, yawning, stretching so far that you want zip on till eternity and loosen the gears and let the car fly. A road without squeeze or bump or gaping holes that pop up like blood-dripping kitchen knives in Ramsay Brothers films. When did you last see such roads? Pakistan is full of such roads. Driving on the motorway between Islamabad and Lahore, I thought of the Indian politician who ruled a notorious —, one could almost say viciously — potholed state and spoke of turning the roads so smooth that they would resemble the cheeks of Hema Malini. They remained as dented as the face of Frankenstein's monster. And here, in Pakistan, I was travelling on roads that — well, how can one now avoid this? — were as smooth as Hema Malini's cheeks! Pakistani roads are broad and smooth and almost entirely, magically, pot hole free. How do they do it; this country that is ostensibly so far behind in economic growth compared to India? But they do and one of my most delightful experiences in Pakistan has been travelling on its fabulous roads. No wonder the country is littered with SUVs — Pakistan has the roads for such cars! Even in tiny Bajaur in the North West frontier province, hard hit by the Taliban, and a little more than a frontier post, the roads were smoother than many I know in India. Even Bajaur has a higher road density than India! If there is one thing we should learn from the Pakistanis, it is how to build roads. And oh, another thing, no one throws beer bottles or trash on the highways and motorways.

And oh, here's the best thing. Indian rupee is worth almost double the Pakistani rupee, so everything is at a 50 percent discount. Naturally, I love Pakistan!

Hindol Sengupta is Associate Editor, Bloomberg UTV

What a horrendous place you have, your people are starting to see the reality and like our country. :victory: :tup::lol:

My country much more developed than yours, your own admit it.

Polo in Islamabad

I love this picture.

4425070398_3fdd037d9e.jpg

shandur-polo-festival1.jpg

mountain-polo-9757-sw.jpg

Reminds me of my Childhood in Karachi. Great city, country and clubs.

What a horrendous place you have, your people are starting to see the reality and like our country. :victorytuplol

My country much more developed than yours, your own admit it.

We are the people with big heart, we take care of all.

As for the writer he is a fool and don't know anything what he is talking about.

I will give you a perfect example that will satisfy any reasonable person.:agree:

He writes"Saeed Book Bank
The book store to beat all bookstores in the subcontinent, I have never seen anywhere in India at the three-storeyed Saeed Book Bank in leafy Islamabad
."

Now the reality check and time to dig out the TRUE Fact:

Saeed book bank

Welcome to SAEED BOOK BANK :: One of the largest online book store ::

Delhi Book Store :cheers:

Delhi Book Store,Online Book Store Delhi,Book Store in Delhi,Online Book Shopping Delhi

Saeed Book Bank has 3 story building Delhi Book Store has 5 story building. :cheers:

Delhi Book Store is the largest book store in South Asia. :cheers:

There are dozens of book shops in India that are better, bigger and have much bigger collection of books then Saeed book bank. :bunny::bunny:

Saeed book bank type book shop may be largest in Pakistan but certainly not in India.

Delhi beats Islamabad in this also.:yahoo: We win again. :victory:

LOL, hahahahaha.

You think you would know better, when your own journalist from your most respected newspaper utters a few words, beleive it boy.

Tatta, read this again.

The roads

Yes. Yes, you read right. The roads. I used to live in Mumbai and now I live in Delhi and, yes, I think good roads are a great, mammoth, gargantuan luxury! Face it, when did you last see a good road in India? Like a really smooth road. Drivable, wide, nicely built and long, yawning, stretching so far that you want zip on till eternity and loosen the gears and let the car fly. A road without squeeze or bump or gaping holes that pop up like blood-dripping kitchen knives in Ramsay Brothers films. When did you last see such roads? Pakistan is full of such roads. Driving on the motorway between Islamabad and Lahore, I thought of the Indian politician who ruled a notorious —, one could almost say viciously — potholed state and spoke of turning the roads so smooth that they would resemble the cheeks of Hema Malini. They remained as dented as the face of Frankenstein's monster. And here, in Pakistan, I was travelling on roads that — well, how can one now avoid this? — were as smooth as Hema Malini's cheeks! Pakistani roads are broad and smooth and almost entirely, magically, pot hole free. How do they do it; this country that is ostensibly so far behind in economic growth compared to India? But they do and one of my most delightful experiences in Pakistan has been travelling on its fabulous roads. No wonder the country is littered with SUVs — Pakistan has the roads for such cars! Even in tiny Bajaur in the North West frontier province, hard hit by the Taliban, and a little more than a frontier post, the roads were smoother than many I know in India. Even Bajaur has a higher road density than India! If there is one thing we should learn from the Pakistanis, it is how to build roads. And oh, another thing, no one throws beer bottles or trash on the highways and motorways.

So clean, beautiful, cultured, refined and grounded. But you are a superpower, all the people are rich and have the best cities in the world. :)

LOL, POS country distorting the truth again, so deceitful and jealous.

PAKISTAN INTERNATIONAL BADMINTON ACADEMY

I would never again visit india, too many poors and garbage everywhere.

No doubt Islamabad is the top , most modern & well planed . Dehli or any else is no where closer to us

price_comparison1.jpg

Delhi is among the top 60 in the world..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom