What's new

What is Kung Fu

Am not talking about boxing as a controlled sport or even for athletic conditioning. Am talking about boxing as a pure martial arts and in terms of rapidly training anyone on how to use the tools he/she has, boxing is king. And am talking as a 2nd deg tae kwon do stylist. I grew up with judo then moved to TKD. While in the USAF, I learned boxing from a GG, some aikido, some karate, some wing chun, basically, every base I was at, I learned something new for at least one yr. From the GG boxer when I was at Cannon AFB in New Mexico, I learned more about using hands, arms, and elbows in one yr than from all the yrs in TKD.

When you do anything with open palms, you risk having those tools damaged and if any of them is damaged and grappling techniques such as judo is all you know, you are as we Americans say: Shit out of luck. The closed fist is much more structurally sound and more concentrated of power than any fancy open hand/palm techniques from any martial arts. The closed fist is also a much more natural a reflexive action when a person is threatened.

Jason Bourne is a recent fictional character, but I have always taught that if anyone want to fight Bourne-like, take in order: boxing for one yr, wing chun for second yr, then either karate or tkd in the 3rd yr. You can shorten the karate and/or tkd to six months, but the boxing must be at least one yr.

Krav Maga is not an 'open fist' style and neither it is only some grappling techniques. It is much more than eye-gouging, testicle striking stuff that some people advertise it out to be. Your equating it with Taek/Judo is simply ridiculous.
Having said all this, I am not a KM practitioner. Never seen any place that teaches it. I have only the word/thrashing of my former Karate tutor (I also have a completely Bullshit Blue Belt to go with it) to go by and it definitely counts.
Here's the thing, you could probably learn all the boxing techniques in a day (how many of them are there anyway) and do them reasonably well for months, but that wouldn't translate to actual real world proficiency against similar body/height/weight opponents and certainly not against bigger/better equipped ones. The mental part also plays a big role and the KM gives you the ability to develop strong, decisive, responses to various random acts of violence. Learning to respond powerfully and not freeze is vital and can be developed in 3 - 6 months and sometimes less.
As to any questions about boxers fighting freeeee style, the fate of James Toney's UFC foray should explain everything.

Krav Maga is not an 'open fist' style and neither it is only some grappling techniques. It is much more than eye-gouging, testicle striking stuff that some people advertise it out to be. Your equating it with Taek/Judo is simply ridiculous.
Having said all this, I am not a KM practitioner. Never seen any place that teaches it. I have only the word/thrashing of my former Karate tutor (I also have a completely Bullshit Blue Belt to go with it) to go by and it definitely counts.
Here's the thing, you could probably learn all the boxing techniques in a day (how many of them are there anyway) and do them reasonably well for months, but that wouldn't translate to actual real world proficiency against similar body/height/weight opponents and certainly not against bigger/better equipped ones. The mental part also plays a big role and the KM gives you the ability to develop strong, decisive, responses to various random acts of violence. Learning to respond powerfully and not freeze is vital and can be developed in 3 - 6 months and sometimes less.
As to any questions about boxers fighting freeeee style, the fate of James Toney's UFC foray should explain everything.
You say that it is the killer technique?

Are they approved by IKMF?
Don't know .. But there are academies,gyms teaching tht.. Recently mixed martial arts has been gaining popularity here ... I'm thinkin of learning tht myself.. (Know a little boxing n taekwondo).

Don't know .. But there are academies,gyms teaching tht.. Recently mixed martial arts has been gaining popularity here ... I'm thinkin of learning tht myself.. (Know a little boxing n taekwondo).
Apparently, in 'Murica they have a lot of these Krav Maga gyms who promise a lot of things - disarming gun tottering attackers/eye gouging etc. but they don't actually let them spar at all because these techniques are now too dangerous.:woot:
So, it's better if you find IKMF approved trainers. Without sparring, you are going to have your backside kicked no matter what Jet Li/Jackie Chan moves you know.

Apparently, in 'Murica they have a lot of these Krav Maga gyms who promise a lot of things - disarming gun tottering attackers/eye gouging etc. but they don't actually let them spar at all because these techniques are now too dangerous.:woot:
So, it's better if you find IKMF approved trainers. Without sparring, you are going to have your backside kicked no matter what Jet Li/Jackie Chan moves you know.

Krav Maga is one of the martial arts taught to forces here.. Iv seen police commandos trained with it .. Unless you think the trainers don't know anything etx... Apart from that judo-Kungfu and Taekwondo Etc are mainly taught here ...

I don't have any jet li moves but I know how to box and a some Taekwondo... And being a tall,stocky guy at 6+ and 85 kg ... I think I can hit hard ..unless I'm facing master Bruce Li...

But hey never quit never back down.. :)

TC

Not at all. Eyes, throat, or the groin are considered 'precision targets' and precision targets requires additional training and dedication. Did you get my joke about the 'five fingers exploding heart palm' technique ? That came from the movie 'Kill Bill', a cut up of kung fu movies cliches and schlock.

As a martial arts, boxing is older than anything in existence and proven more effective in %99.999 of real world situations throughout the world than anything any martial arts have done to date. There is nothing fancy or esoteric in boxing that would move boxing into the schlock category like kung fu have done for itself and in spite of itself.

As far as the mental stability of the person's goes, it is applicable to any martial arts, as in no matter how well you do in controlled environment like a gym, outside the gym, if your mind is shaken by the sight of a bottle held as a weapon in someone's hand, it does not matter if you know boxing or krav-maga or kung fu, you will be beaten by an ordinary thug. There are plenty of pilots who were hot shots in training, but when they get to Top Gun or Red Flag, the only thing that saved their lives were two safety rules: altitude limit and no live weapons. They returned to the squadrons embarrassed that they placed lower than the guys they previously laughed at. There is no martial arts in the world that can legitimately claim it has a superior method for mental conditioning. Either you were borned a fighter or you were not. If you were borned a fighter, then you will be a good or even great fighter with something as simple and old as boxing and you will prevail over an opponent who was not borned a fighter but knows the 'five fingers exploding heart palm' technique -- in training.

now wait for some Indians to come and take credit for it.

20120227135539176.gif

Kung Fu doctrine------------------------------------------
1. Improve the quality , fitness for self-defense .
2. Exercise will cultivate virtues.
3. Athletic ornamental , rich life .
4. Exchange of skills , and friendship.
kung fu taboo------------------
Moral inferior , Combative.

Not at all. Eyes, throat, or the groin are considered 'precision targets' and precision targets requires additional training and dedication. Did you get my joke about the 'five fingers exploding heart palm' technique ? That came from the movie 'Kill Bill', a cut up of kung fu movies cliches and schlock.

As a martial arts, boxing is older than anything in existence and proven more effective in %99.999 of real world situations throughout the world than anything any martial arts have done to date. There is nothing fancy or esoteric in boxing that would move boxing into the schlock category like kung fu have done for itself and in spite of itself.

As far as the mental stability of the person's goes, it is applicable to any martial arts, as in no matter how well you do in controlled environment like a gym, outside the gym, if your mind is shaken by the sight of a bottle held as a weapon in someone's hand, it does not matter if you know boxing or krav-maga or kung fu, you will be beaten by an ordinary thug. There are plenty of pilots who were hot shots in training, but when they get to Top Gun or Red Flag, the only thing that saved their lives were two safety rules: altitude limit and no live weapons. They returned to the squadrons embarrassed that they placed lower than the guys they previously laughed at. There is no martial arts in the world that can legitimately claim it has a superior method for mental conditioning. Either you were borned a fighter or you were not. If you were borned a fighter, then you will be a good or even great fighter with something as simple and old as boxing and you will prevail over an opponent who was not borned a fighter but knows the 'five fingers exploding heart palm' technique -- in training.

All you need are balls...I've seen small guys beat the sht out of big guys..

Last edited:
All you need are balls...I've seen small guys beat the shot out of big guys..
My point exactly. Boxing will give any person with those virtual balls to handle %99.999 of bar/street situations. Not kung fu or krav-maga or tkd or judo/ju-jit-su or aikido and I have a lot of respect for those martial arts. But my one yr experience with a Golden Gloves level boxer gave me a much better respect of boxing as a martial arts than what I knew of it before.

Don't turn this thread into a India vs China troll thread.....let's forget about the origin of kunfu and discuss about the significance of this martial arts form in China and elsewhere in the world......how it benefits health, gives physical and mental strength, how it compares with other forms of martial arts......and last but not the least, can it give superhuman capabilities??

seriously-guys-stop-posting-long-posts-im-too-lazy-to-read-it_o_258827.jpg

This might help.
Krav Maga: Is it all that?

since Bodhidharma was form the south he may have been trained in the ancient Tamil martial art Kalaripayattu which he could have later introduced to his disciples when he moved to China. I'm not an expert in martial arts but there seem to be similarities between the two arts. But I do agree that the Chinese have perfected this art.

Heres a video.

Back
Top Bottom