What's new

What has Democracy solve for India? Lesson for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one question, had you ever worked like the woman in the picture?

I own land I have stood in the same environment to supervise the work.

Where is the connection between the topic, the discussion and the question posed ?

How many ppl who work in the fields in Asia are on the net in international discussion forums ?

Lastly, democracy is an Indian system of self governance which has by now ingrained itself from village level to the National capital and we are comfortable with it.

I own land I have stood in the same environment to supervise the work.

Where is the connection between the topic, the discussion and the question posed ?

How many ppl who work in the fields in Asia are on the net in international discussion forums ?

Lastly, democracy is an Indian system of self governance which has by now ingrained itself from village level to the National capital and we are comfortable with it.

Little wonder the poor are neglected.

The connection here is what you think is important is different from the people who work for you. And people like you consists of the minority of the population of India.

That is why i was questioning how many of you know what the poor people really need. It seems none of you are poor.

You are comfortable with it, not the poor ones. Just think from the perspective of the people who are working for you, what means more to them. I believe you will figure out the answer.

I did!

It was Van Mohathsav(planting trees event)

I don't recall the exact number of saplings I planted ,We did it from Morning till sunset.

It was fun,since i was a kid back then.

Mr Bombensturm, I will take it as a cold joke.

The connection here is what you think is important is different from the people who work for you. And people like you consists of the minority of the population of India.

That is why i was questioning how many of you know what the poor people really need. It seems none of you are poor.

You are comfortable with it, not the poor ones. Just think from the perspective of the people who are working for you, what means more to them. I believe you will figure out the answer.

Why is this sounding like excerpts from the Red Book ?

Relax and loosen up. Stay happy in your environment and leave others to work out things for themselves.

Why is this sounding like excerpts from the Red Book ?

Looks like most Indians can't go a day with making a communism crack.

Relax and loosen up. Stay happy in your environment and leave others to work out things for themselves.

When you have the decency to do the same. Remember you are in the Chinese subforum on a thread that was meant for other Chinese members.

Mr Bombensturm, I will take it as a cold joke.

BigTree, i agreed most of your posts, but that picture is not good example. Probably you are really young enough and never got a chance work in countryside :azn: Cannot figure out whether it is wheat or rice harvesting in the picture, but either way, in most places of china , it is not done in hot summer. Wheat harvest is in later April or beginning of May, rice harvest is at fall

BigTree, i agreed most of your posts, but that picture is not good example. Probably you are really young enough and never got a chance work in countryside :azn: Cannot figure out whether it is wheat or rice harvesting in the picture, but either way, in most places of china , it is not done in hot summer. Wheat harvest is in later April or beginning of May, rice harvest is at fall

It's rice right?

Do keep in mind that as per Law you are not a criminal as long as your crime is not proven in court....The members you are talking about do have cases against them but none has been proven so far. As per law if you are a criminal then you cannot become an MP...

Secondly as pointed out earlier corruption/crime has nothing to do with Democracy. In democracy there is more chance that things will come out and eventually rule of law will prevail...B/W since you are not an Indian you might have no idea how much Indian electoral system has changed. Recent elections in Bihar is a testamount to it....Anyhow there is no system that can work in India apart from Democracy, period...

You cannot compare world's oldest democracy with India. As said above Indian electoral system has matured significantly in last decade....Voters are now voting for Issue's and not caste. Parties are bringing real issues in their manifesto and young India is not listening to any BS...So wait and watch...

Well i don't want to get into corruption argument which has nothing to do with democracy but do keep in mind, gorkshoz is still a great asset for IN...

You have a point, but again, please see my comments below.

i think you are getting carried away with your obcession with poor & starving people of india. i thing you need to get out of that little communist bubble & realise that no political system can change someone's life overnight. In any form of government it's the people & their intention which makes the difference.
you seems to think democracy is the cause of evil in india. Let me ask you a question.. which form of govt do you suggest to the people outside your country to overcome their shortcomings??
communism??
Are countries like bulgaria, czecheslovakia, hungary, poland, romania, former east germany, yugoslavia etc.. etc.. are better off or worse off after giving up communism for democracy??
if there are evils like poverty & starvation in a democracy, so is the same in a country run by other form of governments. let's take the example of communist china..

there is poverty & starvation in china, maybe not to the extent of
india.. but there are many other evile such as:

china's birth planning law, forced abortion & sterilization is quite commen.

relentless oppression of relegious groups & intolerance

tyrannical rule of party which fails to uphold the value of freedom & human rights. a policy of oppression towards tibet, uighars & east turkestan..

now you are either ignorant to the above facts or you have a head of ostrich?? take your pick!!

So, according to your fuzzy logic, evils of India are not caused by democracy, but evils in China are caused by communism one party.

Do you think your mentality is not that of ostrich?

Frankly, I can't help but feel greatly entertained. :lol: Sorry... :rofl:

It's rice right?

I guess so. Actually rice planting is tougher than harvesting. I remember when i was in primary school, rice planting was assigned 5th grade and wheat harvesting was assigned to us 4th grade since it was easier. Anyway, two weeks in countryside was one of the fondest moments of my childhood, like trip to disney for kids of this generation :azn:

But BigTree's point is well taken

I guess so. Actually rice planting is tougher than harvesting. I remember when i was in primary school, rice planting was assigned 5th grade and wheat harvesting was assigned to us 4th grade since it was easier. Anyway, two weeks in countryside was one of the fondest moments of my childhood, like trip to disney for kids of this generation :azn:

Family of farmers on both side but the only farming my parents saw was during the sent down times.

Rice farming is probably harder, I think it is probably being constantly bent over when planting.

Rice farming is probably harder, I think it is probably being constantly bent over when planting.

not really, it is tougher because finger tips and nail are easily broken by left wheat stub. Of course, farmers don't have these issues of our pampered city boys

Last edited:
Before I respond, I need to ask you: are you looking for an explanation or for a quick laugh and applause from the gallery? My response will depend on what you want.

Please feel free to answer as you wish; to me, both are legitimate standpoints.

Already responded by Bombensturm

Dynasty politics!

In this case its the Gandhi tag

But lets hear your respond.

The title of this post suggests a discussion on democracy in India. Rather it became a thread of "What is wrong with India".

If the person who started the thread can change the title and remove reference to democracy, we can discuss each problem( castism, corruption, criminals etc) in more details. May be the chinease friends can suggest some remedy to these evils.

I believe social merits and social evils are both the results of the social system, the social soil and the interplay of the two.

We should start with social phenomena to address social system.

Democracy has undeniable merits. Like a piece of medicine, the only question is how and when we apply it.

As I mentioned earlier, India social soil doesn't fit the kind of western democracy. That doesn't mean the soil won't change forever. However, if you think a social soil is basically the tradition and the culture, the change will be slow.

If you study US history, in the beginning, when the colony was first established in New England area, some of the colonists employed "limited democracy". That means voting is not universal. In fact, only white male with properties could vote.

From today's point of view, how backward is that!

But I believe at that time, it is reasonable. Because only those people can bear the responsibility of the society, for given the tradition and ground-reality (e.g. not enough material support to true democracy).

If you had granted voting power to everybody, including slaves and native Indians, the white people would have been voted out of N. America. -- It is not in the interest of the European colonists.

Perhaps both India and China should adopt the approach of "limited democracy", as the social soil in both countries is not quite there yet for western democracy.

In fact, looks like China has already made the feel of limited democracy - they limit universal vote to grass-root, and controlled vote in higher level leaders. But definitely, it needs to be more transparent and more open. In contrast, India's democracy is too rampant/wild, and needs to be controlled.

Just IMHO.

Limited democracy maybe a good idea for China, but if you look at the democratic system as a whole, people always vote to chose their local leaders (Indian democratic system). We have mainly two types of election:
(1) State Assembly Level - where block level representatives are chosen.
(2) National Parliamentary Level - where district level representatives are chosen.

They in turn decide who the governing body will be under the leadership of a state level Chief Minister or national level Prime Minister. But at the end of the day the local elected leader is responsible for his constituency and it is his responsibility to work for the development of his area.

Whereas in the Chinese system (as per my understanding), the local elected representatives may supervise the local fund distribution (corruption is still rampant at this level), but do they have a say at the national level where the funds come from? Do you guys see why only eastern China is developing fast, whereas the rest of the country is still grinding? Most poor people in China come from these areas... do they have a right to ask for its fair share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom