What's new

What Exactly is a SUPERPOWER???

arp2041

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
SUPERPOWER, i guess, is the most ABUSED term on PDF.

People when speaking positively for China say that it is the next SUPERPOWER.

While when they want to bash a country like India (to take the words of my friend @RazPaK :D) say that India is next supa-powa :lol:

I think that using this term randomly doesn't make sense.

I want to know what exactly the term SUPERPOWER means?? & when can a country be or should be called a SUPERPOWER??

Please don't make it an India vs China or US or some other country affair.

I just want to know when is a country Eligible for the status of a SUPERPOWER??

P.S. Please don't concentrate on countries, concentrate on the term.

@Dillinger @samantk @Joe Shearer @Hyperion @janon @Abingdonboy @Oscar @Chinese-Dragon

Last edited by a moderator:
SUPERPOWER, i guess, is the most ABUSED term on PDF.

People when speaking positively for China say that it is the next SUPERPOWER.

While when they want to bash a country like India (to take the words of my friend @RazPaK :D) say that India is next supa-powa :lol:

I think that using this term randomly doesn't make sense.

I want to know what exactly the term SUPERPOWER means?? & when can a country be or should be called a SUPERPOWER??

Please don't make it an India vs China or US or some other country affair.

I just want to know when is a country Eligible for the status of a SUPERPOWER??

P.S. Please don't concentrate on countries, concentrate on the term.

@Dillinger @samantk @Joe Shearer @Hyperion @janon @Abingdonboy @Oscar @Chinese-Dragon

Dollars my man. Dollars for their defense budget.

Just count them and you will know who is the big dawg.

Shupa-Powa means a collection of power based on economy/military/influence.

Theoratically yes!

But the defense budget is a "portion" of the overall budget.

You spend too much on defense, you will go bankrupt. Remember Commie Russia. Always remember that.

peace

A superpower has the ability to militarily, politically, and economically influence all areas of the world, not just those in its immediate geographical area. The United States has exerted...:usflag:

In layman's terms it can be interpreted as a nation which bully other nations around with it's military & economic might!

A superpower has the ability to militarily, politically, and economically influence all areas of the world, not just those in its immediate geographical area. The United States has exerted...:usflag:

Here comes my Question - US & USSR were both called Superpowers during cold war, but we know that the influence of one on the countries where the other dominated was limited (eg. USSR influence on UK), than why were they both called superpower?? They both din't have influence on all countries of the world.

Again, China or sometimes even India are called the future superpowers, but will any of them have complete influence on every country of the world?? No matter how powerful either of them becomes, there influence will only be limited in the western hemisphere, where US will have it's say.

@Dillinger

Simple.

When other countries wanted to make a move, they would have to consult you first and get your consent without you making that demand.

Need not to say,some part of our media put us in embarrassment with their sensationalized reports of India becoming next super power.We don't need childish media report like "Hindustan ke dushman ab samhal jao" staff on TVs.

For me Super power means a decent health service,education and food for the bottom most section of the social pyramid first.

Here comes my Question - US & USSR were both called Superpowers during cold war, but we know that the influence of one on the countries where the other dominated was limited (eg. USSR influence on UK), than why were they both called superpower?? They both din't have influence on all countries of the world.

Again, China or sometimes even India are called the future superpowers, but will any of them have complete influence on every country of the world?? No matter how powerful either of them becomes, there influence will only be limited in the western hemisphere, where US will have it's say.

@Dillinger

They were the first countries to have nuclear bomb capabilities. Of the nuclear-armed countries, the US and USSR were the only two with enough warheads to destroy the world several times over, and conventional forces greatly in excess of those needed for national defense. (wiki answer)

my view: super power = huge economy with huge per capita income+ Technological superiority+Big Armed forces with big budget (in all cases Independent)

just example: US Navy is bigger than next big 13 countries' navies combined :lol:

super_funny_hilarious_pictures_crazy_fun_laughing_awesome-18680.jpg

my view: super power = huge economy with huge per capita income+ Technological superiority+Big Armed forces with big budget (in all cases Independent)

just example: US Navy is bigger than next big 13 countries' navies combined :lol:

You said China is the upcoming Superpower. Right??

Now, see this line through the above criteria u mentioned.........

Big Economy - Yes, it is certain.

Big PCI - Nope, it will still remain a Middle income country.

Tech. Superiority - Nope, that will still remain with US, Japan, Russia, etc.

Big Budget (like US) - Now US' budget is nearly 7 times that of China, when do you think China will equal that??

You said China is the upcoming Superpower. Right??

Now, see this line through the above criteria u mentioned.........

Big Economy - Yes, it is certain.

Big PCI - Nope, it will still remain a Middle income country.

Tech. Superiority - Nope, that will still remain with US, Japan, Russia, etc.

Big Budget (like US) - Now US' budget is nearly 7 times that of China, when do you think China will equal that??
I said upcoming next super power, China needs 30-40 years to be next super power.
@arp2041 , now we all talking about 5th gen fighter aircraft while Boeing is saying to USA forget about 5th gen, we will give you 6th gen fighter aircraft by 2025.

Back
Top Bottom