What's new

What does 'Are you a Muslim first or...' mean?

IbnAbdullah

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Salaam

NOTE: This thread is not actually asking this question, rather it is ABOUT the meaning of this question.

Are you a Muslim first or a (insert your choice identity/belief etc)

This question seems to get asked a lot by people. I have heard this question asked on national television of political leader amongst countless other instances.

So what is this question supposed to actually mean? I just wanted to get a clear idea of what it is actually being asked here.

If you ask a person if they are a Muslim first or a Pakistani first - what are you exactly asking them?

Is the question, essentially, meant as a choice between

• Renouncing Allah, His Messenger (pbuh) and the deen of Islam
and,
  • Renouncing the state of Pakistan
?

Like if it came down to chosing one or the other, is a person who says Pakistani first (as opposed to Muslim first) saying that they will be willing to abandon Allah, His Messenger and Islam for Pakistan?

Is a person a bad Pakistani if they say they are Muslim first?

What about the opposite of it?

Please treat this as a genuine question and answer accordingly - preferably without name calling and such.

Thank you

Last edited:
Salaam

This question seems to get asked a lot by people. I have heard this question asked on national television of political leader amongst countless other instances.

So what is this question supposed to actually mean? I just wanted to get a clear idea of what it is actually being asked here.

If you ask a person if they are a Muslim first or a Pakistani first - what are you exactly asking them?

and,
?

Like if it came down to chosing one or the other, is a person who says Pakistani first (as opposed to Muslim first) saying that they will be willing to abandon Allah, His Messenger and Islam for Pakistan?

Please treat this as a genuine question and answer accordingly - preferably without name calling and such.

Thank you

What if clauses are unrealistic and unrepresentative.

For us Pakistan is a part of our Islamic identity.

Salaam

and,
?

NOTE: This thread is not actually asking this question, rather it is ABOUT the meaning of this question.

Thank you
Country first

Salaam

Why can’t we be both at the same time? Why do we have to repudiate our ethnicity, nationality to embrace our faith?

I am both a Muslim and Pakistani at the same time.

The two also are not mutually exclusive as Pakistan is an Islamic republic and 97% Muslim majority nation.

What if clauses are unrealistic and unrepresentative.

For us Pakistan is a part of our Islamic identity.

Sorry, I was not clear about my intention here, though I have added a note in bold letters trying to clarify it.

I meant to ask about the meaning of this question as it gets asked a lot by different people and comes up around Pakistan first discussions and other such topics.

So I wanted to get a clear understanding of what is actually being asked with such a question. So, in essence, I am asking ABOUT this question, not asking the question itself.

Hope that clarifies my point.

thank you.

As a devout, practicing but a humbly error-proned Muslim, I feel lucky that I am a Pakistani. Because I don't to choose between Islam and Pakistan, they are one in the same.

Islam Allah o Rasool ka deen hay...
Pakistan Allah o Rasool ki dayn hay.

Pakistan Zindabad
Allah hu Akbar

People attempt to became part of both worlds will belong to neither and they are destinated to seen as 'other' by the people of both worlds.

Last edited:
why would you pose a question like that to being with?
You should come here to Texas and south in general and force someone to give the answer & suddenly half the US would seem like a moulana to ya.

It is wrong to ask people such question in the first place. If it's aim is to divide a nation, such question makes sense.

Last edited:
That question make no sense to me because my religion my personal belief.

If you introduce yourself to someone, you will say I'm a Pakistani. Or are you going to say I'm Muslim.

Just like body and soul
My soul is Islam and Body is Pakistan.
Combination of both defines myself as Muslim from Pakistan.

To add further. Some people who born in the west to a Muslim family of Pakistani Origin.
That adds confusion to their minds. Person having dual nationality etc.
Hence it will be appropriate to go with Faith first than country.
Dual Nationals become controversial as they can't be loyal to Queen and Pakistan at the same time.

Why don't you consider foundation of Pakistan two nation theory.
Hence Islam + Pakistan = Pakistani Muslims

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom