What's new

What do you think about an Asian equivalent of the EU?

It will probably happen a few decades ahead. Asia will economically outperform the U.S. and EU combined anyway, it's all a matter of time really.

Also, just to clarify the confusion for everyone. Instead of a full equivalent of the EU (e.g. with customs union and free movement of labour), what do we think of a political organization with just a continent-wide common market?

It will probably happen a few decades ahead. Asia will economically outperform the U.S. and EU combined anyway, it's all a matter of time really.

One can only hope. Out of curiosity, is it true most Turkish people aren't willing to join the EU?

@sindhibrah

You need to look at my predictions:

India will ally with the West and remain the spoiler. So India will be the last to join the SCO led Asian integration effort.

Personally I think your predictions are quite far-fetched, and if they happen they will only materialize centuries after our generation dies out.

I disagree with the point that India will spoil a pan-Asian organization. I just believe this forum's anti-India sentiment clouds actual views as well. India, if it already isn't, will be a major power in Asia and its good relations with many other Asian countries (such as countries in the ASEAN, Japan, South Korea, and Iran) will mean India will be inclined to join such an organization.

If anything, countries like North Korea would be the last to join because of voluntary abstention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyprus. Greece. Portugal. Ireland. Spain.

The Turks are laughing their azzes off right now and probably thanking their stars that they didn't join the EU

:laugh:

With all the conflicts of interests in various regions, political instabilities, economic imbalances, and vast cultural differences, it seems like a world away.

Optimistically, I think it's possible by 2050. ASEAN could facilitate this growth, especially by incorporating China, South Korea, and Japan (the Plus Three of the ASEAN). After all, who expected the European Economic Community of 1957 to grow into what it is today?

Is an organization along the lines of the E.U. from Turkey to Japan ever possible in your opinion?

EU is formed because there is no dominant power in Europe and they need the ability to resist US and USSR level giants; therefore, you need two conditions for EU style alliance to form in Asia:

1. There has to be no dominant power.
2. Collectively, these nations must be able to resist major powers.

Both of these conditions are not met. There are already two dominant powers in Asia---Russia and China. ASEAN's collective GDP is also only 1/4 of the Chinese GDP. Japan also has higher GDP than ASEAN. ASEAN also is not capable of producing its own weaponry, which means it cannot resist the likes of US without assistance. As a result, a EU like country is not possible in Asia and ASEAN is certainly not capable of absorbing China or Japan.

EU is formed because there is no dominant power in Europe and they need the ability to resist US and USSR level giants; therefore, you need two conditions for EU style alliance to form in Asia:

Both of these conditions are not met. There are already two dominant powers in Asia---Russia and China. ASEAN's collective GDP is also only 1/4 of the Chinese GDP. Japan also has higher GDP than ASEAN. ASEAN also is not capable of producing its own weaponry, which means it cannot resist the likes of US without assistance. As a result, a EU like country is not possible in Asia and ASEAN is certainly not capable of absorbing China or Japan.
complete bs!

A union of nations does not depend on the ability to make weapons nor the sheer number of GDP. It is only the political will. As a matter of fact, ASEAN will turn into a union of independent states in 2015 (free flow of capital, labor, investment). Sure, ASEAN union is far from a polical union like EU, neither a military alliance like NATO.

Cyprus. Greece. Portugal. Ireland. Spain.

The Turks are laughing their azzes off right now and probably thanking their stars that they didn't join the EU

:laugh:

True, but the good thing for such an association is that a single market wouldn't be anywhere near as extensive as EU's full-on economic union.

I don't actually think Europe satisfies that first condition because there are countries like the U.K. and Germany which are dominant powers in the continent. Back when the EEC was founded France was still a major world power with all its colonies.

A unified 'country' as you say in Asia is impossible, there are far too many cultures, languages, etc to integrate. A political-economic organization should be the aim. I think such an organization, with countries like China, Iran, the Gulf states will be able to resist overt Western influence diplomatically. I don't see why the military should be involved when it's a political organization aimed at economic prosperity at all...

This thread is still going? Here have some Grumpy Cat to illustrate you about my opinion on the proposed union.
36532835.jpg

Personally I think your predictions are quite far-fetched, and if they happen they will only materialize centuries after our generation dies out.

I disagree with the point that India will spoil a pan-Asian organization. I just believe this forum's anti-India sentiment clouds actual views as well. India, if it already isn't, will be a major power in Asia and its good relations with many other Asian countries (such as countries in the ASEAN, Japan, South Korea, and Iran) will mean India will be inclined to join such an organization.

If anything, countries like North Korea would be the last to join because of voluntary abstention.

I agree that India will be a major power, just because of its size, but it will remain in confrontation with China. While China will win most countries in Asia as allies, India may only have a few true allies in Asia. India will try to balance this threat with an alliance with the West. I think this is the direction things are going, because the Chinese world view and the Indian world view has a total mismatch, and you can see this in full display with interaction from posters from these two countries.

North Korea will eventually unify with South Korea, at what point I don't know. But a country that was unified and survived for 1300 years will not stay divided just because of different political/economic systems pursued in last 60 years. So its just a matter of time.

As for my prediction taking centuries, some of it is already reality in some form such as:

ASEAN, Japan seeking defense ties with ASEAN, Putin's proposed Eurasian Union, African Union (and various subunions in it like ECOWAS etc.), Arab League, UNASUR (Latin America) etc. European Union is the biggest test case and despite its currency fiasco, it seems to be going well for the most part, and my prediction is that it will not fail, like many seem to believe.

And a technologically advanced future will accelerate social and political transformations, rather than slow them down, that has been the trend in history.

Back
Top Bottom