What's new

What do you think about an Asian equivalent of the EU?

sindhibrah

New Recruit

Reaction score
With all the conflicts of interests in various regions, political instabilities, economic imbalances, and vast cultural differences, it seems like a world away.

Optimistically, I think it's possible by 2050. ASEAN could facilitate this growth, especially by incorporating China, South Korea, and Japan (the Plus Three of the ASEAN). After all, who expected the European Economic Community of 1957 to grow into what it is today?

Is an organization along the lines of the E.U. from Turkey to Japan ever possible in your opinion?

With all the conflicts of interests in various regions, political instabilities, economic imbalances, and vast cultural differences, it seems like a world away.

Optimistically, I think it's possible by 2050. ASEAN could facilitate this growth, especially by incorporating China, South Korea, and Japan (the Plus Three of the ASEAN). After all, who expected the European Economic Community of 1957 to grow into what it is today?

Is an organization along the lines of the E.U. from Turkey to Japan ever possible in your opinion?

untitle.JPG

Asian counterpart would have to be of equal or better economic power, a democracy and ' developed' status. They are not mutually exclusive. Else you don't a have a true EU counterpart

That union is called India.

Further consolidation is called SAARC.

I feel SAARC is undeveloped in comparison to ASEAN with regards to integration and co-operation. SAARC's free trade area is fragile because it is susceptible to any member state abandoning the free trade area as allowed by the relevant treaty. ASEAN focuses more on a common market and collective economic progress while SAARC is still twiddling its thumbs about Kashmir as it was doing when it was founded.

Asian counterpart would have to be of equal or better economic power, a democracy and ' developed' status. They are not mutually exclusive. Else you don't a have a true EU counterpart

I am assuming you mean that for an "Asian Union" to successfully exist you'd need high economic and political parities between states. I can see where you're coming from if that is what you meant, as I said above economic imbalances are only one of the major stumbling blocks for a pan-Asian organization.

Reading through this forum one gets the impression that....resentment between Asians runs high and there are all sorts of unsettled accounts from the past.
Add an arms race that is currently ongoing and you have all the ingredients of Europe pre WWI. There's an aspiring hegemon too to take Germany's place.

Not saying this will materialize....just saying that for unity these issues would have to be somehow resolved.

asean has huge potential i woudnt be surprised even if it out grew other economies..but forming a single economic union is highly unlikely

That union is called India.

Further consolidation is called SAARC.

Actually, EU has failed what India has accomplished. Which is by merging a group of historically disjointed states into one union. Congrats to India for this achievement. Its not a small feat and you guys should be proud of it as European states are not capable of joining together because of constant squabblings. But do not forget to thank the British that first integrated your nation.

EU was formed after all of european countries were good enough to be called developed. Developed not just economically but also there is a component of mental development. That future is very much far away.

Are you serious?! You don't know what kind of situation the EU is in?

Besides, soon China will be equal to all of Asia combined in terms of GDP, how do you form a "EU" if one party is vastly superior to the rest?

Even if there is someone of equal status to China in Asia, it would just be France and Germany today, still more counter productive than productive.

By 2050,why not?
The future is east so it would be a normal step to take.

We can have a cooperative forum like the SCO have a great deal of power over asian vs the west foreign policy matters but a unified continent isn't yet a possibility. Countries won't be willing to join up a failed model.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom