What's new

What did the persian capital look like?

Reaction score
Country
Italy
I have a question to the Iranian history buffs here. During our Roman empire the capital of Persia was Seleukia-Ktesiphon.

But what did it look like? All i found was a picture of a palace ruin.

Because most of Rome survived over time, we know pretty good what it looked like. But i would also like to know how Seleukia looked like. How did the people live there? And all that.

No Seleukia Ktesiphon is in Iraq today and was the capital of persian empire.

The Seleukia you show is another one. Seleukia is a greek name and alot of cities in that area had Seleukia in their name.
Did you visit any ancient Roman/Greek ruins while you were in Turkey ?

Did you visit any ancient Roman/Greek ruins while you were in Turkey ?

Yes i did. In Ephesos. It was super cool there. I heared most is still under the ground. Did you visit Ephesos?

In roman times Ephesos was the Manhatten of Rome. ^^

I have a question to the Iranian history buffs here. During our Roman empire the capital of Persia was Seleukia-Ktesiphon.

Because most of Rome survived over time, we know pretty good what it looked like. But i would also like to know how Seleukia looked like. How did the people live there? And all that.
Unfortunately Arabs made sure nothing is left of the glory of Tisfoon (Ctesphon). It is said they used the stones of Tisfoon walls and other developments to build Baghdad.

upload_2017-7-12_10-30-10.png

And since they also made sure no book or anything of value survives, there is not much left in the literature about that City.

What I know about the city is some scattered information that I have collected through different books.

The City extended along Tigris river. It is said it also served as an important port as the trims of those days could sail along Tigris.

I also red, it was such a big city that it took a caravan 5 days to cross the city and its suburb area. That means it was about 30 km across if we assume a 6 km/day for a caravan inside a crowded city. How true that is I don't know.

Yes i did. In Ephesos. It was super cool there. I heared most is still under the ground. Did you visit Ephesos?

You visited the best place you can ever visit in Turkey....i kinda envy you...Father says he took me there when i was 3 years old...obviously i don't remember anything.

Last year i visited Pergamon which was very impressive...father says, Ephesos is even more impressive...I want to visit there when i get a chance.

Also visited this place 2 weeks ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side,_Turkey

You visited the best place you can ever visit in Turkey....i kinda envy you...Father says he took me there when i was 3 years old...obviously i don't remember anything.

Last year i visited Pergamon which was very impressive...father says, Ephesos is even more impressive...I want to visit there when i get a chance.

Also visited this place 2 weeks ago. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side,_Turkey

Hey what you guess how long would have taken me from my area Tuscany to travel Ephesos back then? What do you estimate? :D

Hey what you guess how long would have taken me from my area Tuscany to travel Ephesos back then? What do you estimate? :D
:)

Yeah, i know, it is not easy for you...i should visit it someday...there are no excuses. Maybe i would visit there when my son get a little bit older.

Something like today's Ankara Turkey.

_______

Anatoli cities were important Iranian cities but not sure which of them was Iranian capital.

During Achaemenid and Parthian empires era they were fully under rule of Iranians but during Sassanian era they were sometimes in hands of Romans and sometimes in hands of Persians.

Last edited:
:)

Yeah, i know, it is not easy for you...i should visit it someday...there are no excuses. Maybe i would visit there when my son get a little bit older.

No man, i mean back then in old roman empire days.

It would take just 4 days with ship and 5 days when on land. The streets of the empire were great and the ships fast.

Our teacher once said Ephesos was the light city while Rome as the heavy one. I dont know how say it in english.

Ephesos was art, style and fun. While Rome was also art and style but with the pressure of the imperial government there.

Wasnt it Persopolis?

Wasnt it Persopolis?

No Persepolis was longin ruins then. Alexander burned it down few decades before the Roman empire formed.

Like Firenze ?

yes i think so.

You know there was one emperor named Tiberius, who hated Rome. He said its wonderful city but too much politics. He hated the senate and all that and had his palace on Capri :D an island near Napoli. He wanted as much distance as possible from daily politics. And he was the emperor lol

yes i think so.

You know there was one emperor named Tiberius, who hated Rome. He said its wonderful city but too much politics. He hated the senate and all that and had his palace on Capri :D an island near Napoli. He wanted as much distance as possible from daily politics. And he was the emperor lol
Oh, while we are talking about Rome...can you advice any documentaries about Rome. The ones i found on youtube starts from the apex point of the empire while i'm interested how it got build/started. Reached that civilization and technology, etc....

Also German-Rome relationship amazed me....it looks very similar to Turkic-Chinese relationship.

Back
Top Bottom