What's new

What a young army officer saw in '84 riots

Roybot

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Col-Bhupinder-Malhi-360x270_20.jpg

New Delhi: (Colonel (retd) Bhupinder Malhi joined the army in 1983. He retired in 2009. He now runs a security agency in Delhi)

We, a group of young Army Officers of Armoured Corps, were on board the Jhelum Express to attend the Young Officers Course at Armoured Corps Centre and School (ACCS) at Ahmednagar and happened to witness the anti-Sikh riots at very close quarters.

I boarded the Jhelum Express at Ambala Cantt early morning on 01 Nov 1984 along with few other course-mates. By the time our train reached outer Delhi near the Sabji Mandi area, we could see that Delhi was burning. Lots of trucks were on fire and smoke could be seen rising from buildings.

When the train reached the New Delhi Railway Station, we got down to enquire about the situation. We spotted many Sikhs lying injured on the platform and no one was willing to provide any first aid or help. We tried to help a few of the injured but our train was immediately moved out of the station.

The train was forcibly stopped near the Nizammudin Railway Station by an unruly mob. They started pulling out Sikhs from the train and there was chaos all around. We all quickly put on our uniforms and got down to help the Sikhs. We could not help most, though we managed to save a few. Some Sikhs had been set on fire; cycle rubber tyres were placed around them.

Some of us tried calling the police using the railways phone but there was no response. We also tried calling the Army headquarters' Duty Officer but could not reach them. We spotted an injured Sikh who was thrown on the railway track; two of us rushed to help him, but by the time we reached him, an approaching train over-ran him and we saw his body cut into pieces. We collected his body parts in a bed sheet and brought it to the railway platform to be handed over to police.

The train moved a bit and was again stopped near the Okhla slums. Another group of mob entered our AC 2 tier compartment by breaking the window glass as there are no iron grills in AC compartment. The mob systematically started searching the compartment and pulling Sikhs out of the train. We tried to reason with rioters and managed to save few fellow Sikhs. Unfortunately we could not save all. Capt Gill of 89 Armoured Regiment was stabbed at a distance of 1 ft from me. We requested rioters to spare his life as he was a soldier but the rioters argued that the person who killed Mrs Indira Gandhi was also a soldier.

We handed over Captain Gill's body to Army authorities at the Mathura railway station at night. Another Sikh officer named Sahota from GREF (General Reserve Engineer Force) was made to hide under the berth in our compartment. He was spotted by the mob and was killed there itself after he was hit by iron rods.

We were lucky to save my course mate Harinder (86 Armoured Regiment) who was being pulled out of the train but some of us held on to him and managed to free him from the clutches of death.

Another newly-wedded young officer from Artillery who was travelling with his wife was saved by shaving his beard and cutting his hair.

We repeatedly requested railways authorities for help but no one was willing to oblige. On the contrary, one TTE was seen indicating to the mob about the location of Sikhs hiding in the compartments.

Two officers Yadav (75 Armoured Regiment) and AP Singh (9 Horse) managed to get hold of a 12 bore rifle which was being carried by a soldier proceeding on leave. They fired a few rounds at the mob and the mob retreated. They were awarded subsequently for this bravery.

Blog: what a young army officer saw in '84 riots | NDTV.com

This is so distressing to read, even now, after 30 years. Its a shame that India was never able to give them justice.

What the Army Officer is telling is Brutal Reality of 84 Genocide. The large scale killings of Sikhs was not confined to Delhi. The dance of death was seen in the streets of many towns and cities also. :ashamed:

This is a Video from Punjabi Movie based on 84 Genocide, it Narrates what the Army Officer is narrating.

Not a single perpetrator was convicted for the killing, raping and looting that went on for three days in Delhi and elsewhere. Need we say more! Where is the 'secular' outrage or is it selective 'outrage' reserved for only selective communities? :ashamed:

Today also, I and my family members along with fellow Sikh brethren agitated outside Rahul Gandhi's house & asked him to reveal the names of the Congress Scums responsible for 84. However, he remained confined to his home. :pissed:

Last edited:
Such a barbaric incident .... and justice for Sikhs denied to this day by the congress .... :disagree:

Have a look at the Video, if you can understand little bit HindI, you'll understand the meaning or I can translate it.

Few minutes back, SOB met street vendors & now is at Jantar Mantar meeting NE students who are protesting against the killing of AP student.

It's because of illegitimate treatment of GOI, expatriate Sikhs have hatred for India. Had justice been delivered, chants of Khalistan would have silenced for ever.

- BJP is using a sensitive issue for cheap politics :sick: :tdown:

- What BJP hides from the general public that 50 BJP and RSS leaders/members were also involve in the 1984 anti sikh riots. :tdown:

- BJP is using a sensitive issue for cheap politics :sick: :tdown:

- What BJP hides from the general public that 50 BJP and RSS leaders/members were also involve in the 1984 anti sikh riots. :tdown:

Did article any ware mentioned Bjp? Now you are playing with our sentiments. You better F*** *** & don't dare to poke your nose in a matter about which you don't have IOTA of clue. Go piss in some other thread & play cheap politics. It's not about Modi or Congress but about innocent people waiting for justice. :pissed: :ashamed:

Last edited:
Sad incident, we Indians must seek justice for our murdered brothers.Pappu better watch out.

This was truly disturbing, I cant imagine what my Sikh brothers must have gone through, the helplessness they must have felt while watching their brothers, fathers, friends being butchered, I cant imagine the pain of the sisters, mothers, wives who must have seen and suffered all these atrocities, they deserve absolute justice and nothing less....

When in the power both at Central Govt. and state Delhi Govt. the BJP have tried to save BJP and RSS leaders and members.

And removed their names in the FIR or destroyed the records.

sikh+riot+rss.jpg

sikh+riot+rss2.jpg

375047_10201246411788786_1843846100_n.jpg

Rss, Bjp Role During 1984 Nov. Sikh Genocide : Rock Solid Proof - WHAT'S HAPPENING? - The Voice of Sikhs

Was BJP ruling both Center & State in 1984? Why didn't Congress Government do anything for 3 days?

Recently, your very dear Rahul Gandhi admitted that Congress Party men were Involved in 84 Genocide, do you want me to Post the Interview which he had with Arnab on Times Now?

1984 riots: Sikh groups want Rahul Gandhi to name `guilty` Congress leaders

Go read about 84 Genocide, Operation Blue Star, get your facts right; then come and have a debate with me without looking at everything from the LENSES of HATE THAT YOU HAVE FOR BJP, If can't then refrain yourself from Pissing in the thread. :astagh: :pissed:

BBC News - India Congress leader 'incited' 1984 anti-Sikh riots

I hope the Next Government will work towards providing some measure of Justice for our fallen Sikh Brothers. I feel so ashamed seeing such genocidal activities and perpetrators going unpunished for so long in a Democracy like ours. :sick:

Was BJP ruling both Center & State in 1984? Why didn't Congress Government do anything for 3 days?

Recently, your very dear Rahul Gandhi admitted that Congress Party men were Involved in 84 Genocide, do you want me to Post the Interview which he had with Arnab on Times Now?

1984 riots: Sikh groups want Rahul Gandhi to name `guilty` Congress leaders

Go read about 84 Genocide, Operation Blue Star, get your facts right; then come and have a debate with me without looking at everything from the LENSES of HATE THAT YOU HAVE FOR BJP, If can't then refrain yourself from Pissing in the thread. :astagh: :pissed:

BBC News - India Congress leader 'incited' 1984 anti-Sikh riots

1.) You are hiding fact and posing that as if only congress members were involve but the fact of the matter is that BJP and RSS people were also involve in very large numbers

2.) As for ur info RSS and BJP fully supported the operation blue star.

3.) Even Advani admit it in his book

Anger at Advani in Golden Temple - The Hindu

BJP's tallest leader LK Advani writes in his book

That BJP forced Indira Gandhi to order Operation Blue Star to liberate Golden temple from anti-national occupants

Operation Blue Star: Congress corners Advani - Hindustan Times

1.) You are hiding fact and posing that as if only congress members were involve but the fact of the matter is that BJP and RSS people were also involve in very large numbers

2.) As for ur info RSS and BJP fully supported the operation blue star.

3.) Even Advani admit it in his book

Anger at Advani in Golden Temple - The Hindu

EGG ON YOUR FACE. Before, Posting the News Article, do read it. I'm helping in you at this time:

Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani continued to face angry protests on the third day of his Jan Chetna Yatra in Punjab, when activists from different Akali factions and radical organisations raised slogans as he visited the holiest Sikh shrine, Harmandar Sahib (Golden Temple) complex in Amritsar on Tuesday.

The heavy deployment of civilian clothes-clad security personnel within the “parkarma” (path for circumambulation) notwithstanding, protesters vented their anger against Mr. Advani, who was accompanied by his wife Kamala and daughter Pratibha, for his controversial comments in support of “Operation Blue Star” in his book,My Country My Life.

SLOGANS RAISED
Activists of the Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) led by their president Simranjit Singh Mann raised slogans against Mr. Advani and in favour of Khalistan at various places in parkarma, near the Akal Takht and outside the shrine complex.

Similarly, a group of workers led by the president of the Punjab unit of the Akali Dal (Delhi), Jaswinder Singh Baliawal, managed to sneak in and raise slogans against Mr. Advani, as the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) officials presented him a ‘siropa' (robes of religious honour) at a brief ceremony outside the Harmandar Sahib's information office near the clock tower entry of the shrine.

‘BADAL EXPOSED'
Talking toThe Hindu, Mr. Baliawal said that his party was of the opinion that the ruling Akali Dal, of which Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was the patron, and the SGPC should not have welcomed Mr. Advani, who had pledged his support to the then Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, in carrying out “Operation Blue Star” that had wounded the Sikh community's psyche. He said that by honouring Mr. Advani at the holiest shrine of the community, Mr. Badal had exposed his consent for the Army action of 1984.

According to reporters present on the occasion, Mr. Advani just folded his hands and refused to offer any comments to questions related to his support to the “Operation Blue Star.” On the other hand, the SGPC officials were tight-tipped on the issue of raising of slogans within the precincts of the shrine, despite heavy deployment of its security task force.

GOOD RESPONSE
After paying obeisance at the Durgiana Mandir and homage to the martyrs at the Jallianwala Bagh, Mr. Advani proceeded to Batala en route Pathankot. At various rallies, especially in Batala town, Mr. Advani received enthusiastic response from the people. In his address, he targeted Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, United Progressive Alliance chairperson, Sonia Gandhi and the Congress leadership for the series of scandals, unprecedented inflation and lowering the prestige of the nation in the international comity.

Mr. Advani reiterated the resolve of the BJP and its alliance partners to force the government, during the forthcoming winter session of Parliament, to reveal the names of the corrupt leaders, who had stashed black money in Swiss banks.

EGG ON YOUR FACE. Before, Posting the News Article, do read it. I'm helping in you at this time:

Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader L.K. Advani continued to face angry protests on the third day of his Jan Chetna Yatra in Punjab, when activists from different Akali factions and radical organisations raised slogans as he visited the holiest Sikh shrine, Harmandar Sahib (Golden Temple) complex in Amritsar on Tuesday.

The heavy deployment of civilian clothes-clad security personnel within the “parkarma” (path for circumambulation) notwithstanding, protesters vented their anger against Mr. Advani, who was accompanied by his wife Kamala and daughter Pratibha, for his controversial comments in support of “Operation Blue Star” in his book,My Country My Life.

SLOGANS RAISED
Activists of the Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) led by their president Simranjit Singh Mann raised slogans against Mr. Advani and in favour of Khalistan at various places in parkarma, near the Akal Takht and outside the shrine complex.

Similarly, a group of workers led by the president of the Punjab unit of the Akali Dal (Delhi), Jaswinder Singh Baliawal, managed to sneak in and raise slogans against Mr. Advani, as the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) officials presented him a ‘siropa' (robes of religious honour) at a brief ceremony outside the Harmandar Sahib's information office near the clock tower entry of the shrine.

‘BADAL EXPOSED'
Talking toThe Hindu, Mr. Baliawal said that his party was of the opinion that the ruling Akali Dal, of which Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal was the patron, and the SGPC should not have welcomed Mr. Advani, who had pledged his support to the then Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi, in carrying out “Operation Blue Star” that had wounded the Sikh community's psyche. He said that by honouring Mr. Advani at the holiest shrine of the community, Mr. Badal had exposed his consent for the Army action of 1984.

According to reporters present on the occasion, Mr. Advani just folded his hands and refused to offer any comments to questions related to his support to the “Operation Blue Star.” On the other hand, the SGPC officials were tight-tipped on the issue of raising of slogans within the precincts of the shrine, despite heavy deployment of its security task force.

GOOD RESPONSE
After paying obeisance at the Durgiana Mandir and homage to the martyrs at the Jallianwala Bagh, Mr. Advani proceeded to Batala en route Pathankot. At various rallies, especially in Batala town, Mr. Advani received enthusiastic response from the people. In his address, he targeted Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, United Progressive Alliance chairperson, Sonia Gandhi and the Congress leadership for the series of scandals, unprecedented inflation and lowering the prestige of the nation in the international comity.

Mr. Advani reiterated the resolve of the BJP and its alliance partners to force the government, during the forthcoming winter session of Parliament, to reveal the names of the corrupt leaders, who had stashed black money in Swiss banks.

Are u a fool or just posing as one. :undecided::undecided:

Its the news of the protests BJP's tallest leader LK Advani facing due to the fact that he have written a book and in that book he have said that BJP have forced Indira Gandhi to carry our Operation Blue Star its a proof that no one can deny the involvement of the BJP in the operation Bluestar. :disagree:

Are u a fool or just posing as one. :undecided::undecided:

Its the news of the protests BJP's tallest leader LK Advani facing due to the fact that he have written a book and in that book he have said that BJP have forced Indira Gandhi to carry our Operation Blue Star its a proof that no one can deny the involvement of the BJP in the operation Bluestar. :disagree:

I can start a Poll on PDF & share OUR'S Post from this thread in it, you'll come to know who is FOOL or Just posing as one. :sarcastic:

Do you even know how bhindranwala got elevated? or even who he is?

Do you know what his demands were?

Did Indira Gandhi order attack on Golden Temple only because BJP'S Tallest Leader L.K. Advani forced her to carry it out?

Wasn't it Congress Government duty to call in Army on very 1st day of the Genocide in 1984, as Congress had govt. in State & Center?

Why did Congress let Delhi Burn't for 3 days & let Sikhs got Mascaraed for 3 days every where in India?

I HOPE YOU WON'T SEE IT FROM LENSES OF HATER FOR BJP + HINDU + SIKHS & Honestly reply to my questions.

Back
Top Bottom