What's new

We're not selling obsolete Fighter Jets to India with a dead shelf life: Lockheed

Banglar Bir

Reaction score
Country
United States
We're not selling obsolete Fighter Jets to India with a dead shelf life: Lockheed
Wednesday, November 09, 2016
By: TNN

Source Link: CLICK HERE

• 1_img191116161237.jpg

Aerospace and Defence major Lockheed Martin, which has offered to bring its only functional F-16 fighter jet manufacturing facility to India, says that it is not selling an aircraft with a dead shelf-life.

Reports quoting experts in the US have debated that the aircraft's current orders can only keep it running up to 2017, or 2020, at best. However, Randall L Howard, F-16 business development head, told TOI: "I understand the concerns, but we are confident of bagging orders for at least 100 aircraft (not including from India) in the next 5-7 years."

Stating that the firm had a positive conversation with Indonesia just last week, he said: "Conversations are also currently on with multiple countries in South-America, Middle East (West Asia) and Eastern Europe. We expect good business from these countries. A lot of Eastern European countries are currently using Soviet-era fighters with or without integration of western technology."

Abhay Paranjape, director, business development-India, said: "Many of our international customers are repeat customers, who keep coming back to us." Howard said that the firm has sold 4,588 F-16 aircraft to 27 countries, of which 16 of them have come back to them.

"These 16 countries together have given repeat orders 55 times saying they want more. F-16s are cheaper than most in their class, faster and can go farther than every other plane. It can also carry more firepower," Howard said.

In the first major effort after making the conditional offer to shift the manufacturing facility to India, Lockheed Martin met with 40 potential Indian suppliers in Bengaluru. "There are those who can make bits and pieces, components, sub-systems, structures and even support equipment. We are making a presentation to them," Howard said.

He added that not only will India be making for India, but also to the world. "There are 3,200 fighters that they will need to feed (components and parts) and take care of (maintenance). There is a huge business opportunity there."

On how different this offer is from facilities that operated in South Korea, Belgium, the Netherlands and Turkey, Paranjape said: "Those were licensed manufacturing, mostly assembly and they made it for their own countries. What we offer India is the exclusive production facility. There is currently no other such facility barring the one in US and when that come here, it will be only India that makes F16s."

On the constraints of transfer of technology (ToT), which US Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James had raised as per reports in the US, Howard said: "We did not come to India with the offer as a individual company. We were here along with the US government. There will be a few issues, but from the nose to tail (of the aircraft) we will try to offer as much as we can in an affordable way. Obviously, not everything can be made here."

Howard said: "We did not come to India with the offer as a individual company. We were here along with the US government. There will be a few issues, but from the nose to tail (of the aircraft) we will try to offer as much as we can in an affordable way. Obviously, not everything can be made here."

This is the Notable Point

personally never liked and we don't need this outdated 4th gen plane . we should focus on just FGFA and AMCA , or some more rafale .. but this f16 or 518 , no, never ...

Howard said: "We did not come to India with the offer as a individual company. We were here along with the US government. There will be a few issues, but from the nose to tail (of the aircraft) we will try to offer as much as we can in an affordable way. Obviously, not everything can be made here."

This is the Notable Point

No one is making everything at one place . New featured F16 is the best way to go for mass induction just look at the pic in OP . Think what these F16 can do to enemy's formation if 200-250 inducted . India is not Pakistan . We have Su30 and Rafale . These F16 will add massive additions

India should Take this offer ... Nahi Chahiye walo We dont have any good plans in hand for future ...developing new fighter or co-developing is distance dream that can take an another half a decade... our need are for today...

Bring f 16 plant to India ... mass produce it... Built a new large enormous Airforce ...

India should Take this offer ... Nahi Chahiye walo We dont have any good plans in hand for future ...developing new fighter or co-developing is distance dream that can take an another half a decade... our need are for today...

Bring f 16 plant to India ... mass produce it... Built a new large enormous Airforce ...

Personally I dont fancy F16 in IAF colours that much. But looking into the stature of dwindling squadron strength of IAF , F16 may well become a quick fix. With Sukhois & Rafale it will become a genuine force multiplier. :coffee:

Personally I dont fancy F16 in IAF colours that much. But looking into the stature of dwindling squadron strength of IAF , F16 may well become a quick fix. With Sukhois & Rafale it will become a genuine force multiplier. :coffee:
Personally I am against India Buying Predator Drones from USA... But my personal thought wont help in Defense of the country in any ...

We need to be Practical ... We have already suffering shortage and our Airforce is basically Flying on coffins, with fighters like Mig 21 which countries like North Korea , Sudan, Uganda, Zambia , Yemen use ...

Replace F-16s with F-18SHs, and I'm in.
Dood we are not buying a Bentley for your home... our Airforce are in bad state we need f16 in large number which would fit right for our pocket, strategy and technology ...

Let's start with this.
F16 is NOT a obsolete fighter jet or less powerful fighter jet by any means.
It will be a GREAT OPPORTUNITY for Indian aviation sector to get it's hands on any technology involved.

A large number of F16 will be a great boost for her air force. Plus you cant ignore -- once you enter into supply chain of any critical technology.

mark my word: Lockheed will do whatever it takes to produce F16 there in India. I will be not surprised to see a large number of F16 in Indian air force inventory.

Let's start with this.
F16 is NOT a obsolete fighter jet or less powerful fighter jet by any means.
It will be a GREAT OPPORTUNITY for Indian aviation sector to get it's hands on any technology involved.

A large number of F16 will be a great boost for her air force. Plus you cant ignore -- once you enter into supply chain of any critical technology.

mark my word: Lockheed will do whatever it takes to produce F16 there in India. I will be not surprised to see a large number of F16 in Indian air force inventory.
Will they be offering engine tech?

Just buy F-16 and be done with it.....even if Americans don't offer ToT, imagine the number of job created. We need jobs to become rich and dictate terms.

Dood we are not buying a Bentley for your home... our Airforce are in bad state we need f16 in large number which would fit right for our pocket, strategy and technology ...

If you look at the fly away cost, and flight per hour cost, and future potential of the platform, my post will make much better sense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom