What's new

Welcome Home, Pervez Musharraf The Great Leader Of Pakistan

Musharraf returns home from self imposed exile
Sunday March 24, 2013

3-24-2013_93616_l.jpg

KARACHI: Pakistan's former military ruler Pervez Musharraf returned home on Sunday after more than four years in exile, defying a Taliban death threat to contest historic general elections.

The 69-year-old former dictator says he is prepared to risk any danger to stand for election on May 11th, in what will be the first democratic transition of power in the history of a nuclear-armed country dominated by periods of military rule.

Musharraf seized power in a bloodless coup as army chief in 1999 and left the country after stepping down in August 2008, when Asif Ali Zardari was elected president after the murder of his wife, former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.

Musharraf's flight from Dubai landed at 12:46 pm (0746 GMT) after a journey that saw his official Facebook and Twitter accounts provide a running commentary, posting messages and photographs of him on board.

"Settled in my seat on the plane to begin my journey home. Pakistan First!" said one message posted from the @P_Musharraf Twitter account, with a picture of him wearing an off-white, traditional shalwar kameez outfit.

Some of his supporters on the flight shouted "long live Musharraf", annoying other people among the regular passengers, according to an AFP reporter on board.

Musharraf, who has been granted protective bail to lift the threat of immediate arrest on his return to Pakistan, told reporters before leaving for Karachi that he was "not feeling nervous" but admitted to some concerns. "I am feeling concerned about the unknown... there are a lot of unknown factors of terrorism and extremism, unknown factors of legal issue, unknown factors of how much I will be able to perform (in the elections)," he said.

He was forced to scrap plans to address a public rally at the Karachi tomb of Pakistan's founding father Mohammad Ali Jinnah because of security fears and will instead address supporters at the heavily secured airport.

Police withdrew permission for the downtown rally after the Pakistani Taliban threatened to dispatch a squad of suicide bombers to assassinate Musharraf.

After hours of waiting, Musharraf addresses crowd

After a wait that stretched into hours, disappointed supporters finally got what they had come for - a glimpse of Pervez Musharraf.

Amid much confusion, the media was not informed whether Pervez Musharraf will be addressing the crowd and the electronic media. Without a mic or loudspeakers Musharraf addressed the crowd after a near 3 hour wait.

In his address that was audible only to the large security protocol keeping supporters and media at bay, Musharraf reiterated his trademark slogan, Sub Se Pehlay Pakistan (Pakistan, before all else).

State of Security

Just hours before Musharraf's homecoming, a suicide bomber killed 17 Pakistani soldiers by ramming a water tanker packed with explosives into a checkpoint in the tribal district of North Waziristan.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but North Waziristan is a known stronghold of the Taliban and operatives linked to Al-Qaeda. Pakistani troops have been fighting homegrown insurgents in the tribal belt for years.

Attempts on Musharraf's life

As ruler, Musharraf escaped three Al-Qaeda assassination attempts. He became a prominent target for Islamist extremists after making Pakistan a key US ally in the "war on terror" after the 9/11 attacks.

Legal Cases against Musharraf

While Pervez Musharraf has be granted interim bail in three cases that could have led to his arrest upon arrival, former primeir Benazir Bhutto's son Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, who is chairman of the Pakistan People's Party, has openly accused Musharraf of her murder. In 2010 a UN report said Bhutto's death could have been prevented and accused Musharraf's government of failing to provide her with adequate protection. His administration blamed the assassination on the Pakistani Taliban.

Musharraf is wanted by the courts over Bhutto's death, the 2006 death of Akbar Bugti, a Baloch rebel leader in the southwest, and for the 2007 sacking and illegal arrest of judges.

Analysts say there is a real danger to his life, which outweighs his political future in a country where he is likely to win no more than a couple of seats for his All Pakistan Muslim League party.

Musharraf returns home from self imposed exile - geo.tv

I have come to save Pakistan: Mushrraf
Sunday March 24, 2013

165801_88812859.jpg

Says he has been ordered by people to come back and save Pakistan, even at the risk of his life.

KARACHI (AFP) - Pakistan s former military ruler Pervez Musharraf returned home on Sunday after more than four years in exile, defying a Taliban death threat and vowing to "save" the country at the risk of his life.

"I have come back home today. Where are those who used to say I would never come back?", told members of his political party at Karachi airport.

Hundreds of supporters had gathered at the airport, beating drums, dancing, waving green flags with pictures of Musharraf and Pakistan s founder Mohammad Ali Jinnah, and scattering rose petals.

"I don t get scared by anyone except Allah the Almighty. I have come back by putting my life in danger," Musharraf, who also faces a series of legal cases, told a gathering of his All Pakistan Muslim League.

"I have been ordered by my people to come back and save our Pakistan, even at the risk of my life. I want to tell all those who are making such threats that I have been blessed by Allah the Almighty."

The upcoming election will be the first democratic transition of power in the history of the nuclear-armed country dominated by periods of military rule.

Pakistan Sunday selected a caretaker prime minister, retired judge Mir Hazar Khan Khoso, to head an interim administration to guide the country through the election period.

Musharraf, 69, is not thought likely to win more than a couple of seats for his party in the polls and he remains a highly controversial figure.

He seized power in a bloodless coup as army chief in 1999 but left the country after resigning in 2008, when Asif Ali Zardari was elected president after the murder of his wife, former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.

As ruler Musharraf escaped three Al-Qaeda assassination attempts. He became a prominent target for Islamist extremists after making Pakistan a key US ally in the "war on terror" after the 9/11 attacks.

Musharraf was forced to scrap plans to hold a public rally at Jinnah s tomb in Karachi after the Taliban threatened to send a squad of suicide bombers to assassinate him.

Party supporters said Musharraf was not now expected to make an address at around 5:00 pm and would leave the airport shortly for an undisclosed destination.

His official Facebook and Twitter accounts provided an upbeat commentary on his return, complete with photographs.

An AFP reporter said supporters on the flight from Dubai shouted "Long live Musharraf", annoying some of the regular passengers.

Musharraf, who has been granted protective bail to lift the threat of immediate arrest on his return to Pakistan, told reporters before leaving Dubai that he was "not feeling nervous" but admitted some concern.

"I am feeling concerned about the unknown, there are a lot of unknown factors of terrorism and extremism, unknown factors of legal issue, unknown factors of how much I will be able to perform (in the elections)," he said.

One of the legal cases that has long ensnared him concerns the assassination of Benazir Bhutto in December 2007, three months after she returned to Pakistan from her own self-imposed exile.

The then-ruler is accused of failing to provide her with adequate security. Another case concerns the 2006 death of Akbar Bugti, a Baluch rebel leader in the southwest, and another relates to the 2007 sacking and arrest of judges.

Bhutto s son Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, who is chairman of the Pakistan People s Party, has accused Musharraf of his mother s murder.

In 2010 a UN report said Bhutto s death could have been prevented and accused Musharraf s government of failing to provide her with adequate protection.

Security was tight at the airport in Karachi, which is suffering record political and ethnic violence. Other parts of the country are also plagued by extremist attacks.

Dunya News: Pakistan:-I have come to save Pakistan: Mushrraf ...

Such blatant interference in the internal affairs of Pakistan by any foreign country, including USA and Saudi Araba, should stop. Musharraf entered us all in the WoT with such terrible consequences. He must answer for that, and Kargil.

Why is the Supreme Court silent now?

To be honest what are the chances of Musharraf and his party coming to power? And what are chances of IK in election? Is it going to be IK or PP/PMLN? And do MQM have any influence outside Karachi?

Risked life to return to save country: Musharraf
Sunday March 24 , 2013

ParvezMusharraf2508_L.jpg

Former president Pervez Musharraf has said that he has put his life on line to return back to save Pakistan.

Certain elements are threatening to kill me but I fear Allah alone, he added while addressing a press conference at Karachi airport. On the very first day of my return hurdles are being made to politics... public meeting at the tomb of founder of nation Quaid-e-Azam here in Karachi but I would hold public gatherings all across the country, he added.

Musharraf returned home on Sunday after nearly four years of self-imposed exile to contest elections despite the possibility of arrest and death threats from the Taliban.

I have come back not for myself but for the country and out slogan is "we would and must save Pakistan. My heart sheds tears of blood looking at the prevalent situation in the country... bodies fall everyday in Karachi... I want to bring light and peace back to Karachi.

Musharraf hopes to regain influence so that his party can win seats in the general election scheduled for May 11, when he will face fierce competition, including from the man he ousted in a military takeover.

"People said I would not come. Where are those people now? People were trying to scare me. I only fear Allah, no one else," Musharraf said at Karachi's airport, as more than 1,000 supporters cheered.

"Where has the Pakistan I left five years ago gone? My heart cries tears of blood when I see the state of the country today," Musharraf said. "I have come back for you. I want to restore the Pakistan I left."

Musharraf has not spelled out how he would do that as the election race heats up.

The ruling Pakistan People's Party (PPP) has had little success in tackling corruption, chronic power cuts and rebuilding the dilapidated infrastructure.

A caretaker government, headed by newly-appointed Hazar Khan Khoso, a former judge, will make preparations for elections.

Musharraf may soon run into legal problems. He faces charges of failing to provide adequate security to former prime minister Benazir Bhutto before her assassination in 2007.

He also faces charges in connection with the death of a separatist leader in southwestern Baluchistan province. He denies any wrongdoing.

Musharraf had been granted bail in advance to avoid being arrested upon his return, but could be detained at a later date.

Risked life to return to save country: Musharraf,3/24/2013 7:50:28 PM

Musharraf vows to ‘save’ Pakistan on return from exile
Sunday March 24, 2013

pakistan-pervez-musharraf-670.jpg

Pakistan’s former military ruler Pervez Musharraf addresses supporters outside the airport upon his arrival in Karachi on March 24, 2013. – Photo by AFP

KARACHI: Pakistan’s former military ruler Pervez Musharraf returned home on Sunday after more than four years in exile, defying a Taliban death threat and vowing to “save” the country at the risk of his life.

“I have come back home today. Where are those who used to say I would never come back?” the former dictator, who plans to stand in a historic May 11 general election, told members of his political party at Karachi airport.

Hundreds of supporters had gathered at the airport, beating drums, dancing, waving green flags with pictures of Musharraf and Pakistan’s founder Mohammad Ali Jinnah, and scattering rose petals.

“I don’t get scared by anyone except Allah the Almighty… I have come back by putting my life in danger,” Musharraf, who also faces a series of legal cases, told a gathering of his All Pakistan Muslim League.

“I have been ordered by my people to come back and save our Pakistan, even at the risk of my life. I want to tell all those who are making such threats that I have been blessed by Allah the Almighty.”

Musharraf was forced to scrap plans to hold a public rally at Jinnah’s mausoleum in Karachi after the Taliban threatened to send a squad of suicide bombers to assassinate him.

Party supporters said Musharraf was not now expected to make an address at around 5:00 pm and would leave the airport shortly for an undisclosed destination.

His official Facebook and Twitter accounts provided an upbeat commentary on his return, complete with photographs.

An AFP reporter said supporters on the flight from Dubai shouted “Long live Musharraf”, annoying some of the regular passengers.

Musharraf, who has been granted protective bail to lift the threat of immediate arrest on his return to Pakistan, told reporters before leaving Dubai that he was “not feeling nervous” but admitted some concern.

“I am feeling concerned about the unknown… there are a lot of unknown factors of terrorism and extremism, unknown factors of legal issue, unknown factors of how much I will be able to perform (in the elections),” he said.

One of the legal cases that has long ensnared him concerns the assassination of Benazir Bhutto in December 2007, three months after she returned to Pakistan from her own self-imposed exile.

The then-ruler is accused of failing to provide her with adequate security.

Another case concerns the 2006 death of Akbar Bugti, a Baloch rebel leader in the southwest, and another relates to the 2007 sacking and arrest of judges.

Bhutto’s son Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, who is chairman of the Pakistan People’s Party, has accused Musharraf of his mother’s murder.

In 2010 a UN report said Bhutto’s death could have been prevented and accused Musharraf’s government of failing to provide her with adequate protection.

Security was tight at the airport in Karachi. Police at the airport said 1,000 well-wishers had turned out although an AFP reporter said the number appeared about half that.

Supporters chanted “Long Live Musharraf” and his catchphrase, “Pakistan First”. Young boys wore “Pakistan First” T-shirts emblazoned with his picture.

Wasim Ansari, a television actor and Musharraf look alike who stars in satirical shows mocking the ex-dictator, was among the crowd.

“Whatever popularity I have gained today is because of Musharraf. I regard him as my leader and would do anything for him,” Ansari joked to AFP.

Musharraf vows to ‘save’ Pakistan on return from exile | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Musharraf returns to Pakistan from exile
Sunday March 24, 2013

musharraf-3.jpg

KARACHI: Pakistan’s former military ruler Pervez Musharraf flew home on Sunday, landing at Karachi airport after more than four years in exile, defying a Taliban death threat to contest historic general elections.

His scheduled Emirates flight from Dubai landed at around 12:45 local time.

Musharraf returns to Pakistan from exile | AAJ News

DUBAI: Former military ruler and current chief of the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML) Gen (retd) Pervez Musharraf landed in Karachi on Sunday.

He had earlier departed from Dubai airport where he accompanied by his wife Mrs Sehba Musharraf, who had arrived at the airport to see off the former president.

Talking to media persons before embarking on his flight Musharraf said that the was aware of the fact that the NOC, granted for his rally scheduled to be held in Karachi today, was cancelled and added that cancellation of the NOC was acceptable only in case of security reasons.

Musharraf's return to Pakistan on Vimeo

He further said that he was aware of the latest threat issued by the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) in a video released a day earlier.

At the press conference held earlier on Saturday, flanked by office-bearers of his party, the APML chief disclosed that he had been advised by the Saudi authorities not to return to Pakistan due to security concerns.

An entire Emirates flight was booked for Karachi, which will leave Dubai at 10.40am (PST) and reach Karachi at 12.40pm.

The foreign media at large has disregarded the even of Musharraf’s return to Pakistann. A number of Pakistani journalists will be accompanying the former president on his homecoming wheras the foreign media will be represented only by the BBC.

In contrast, many foreign journalists had accompanied former prime minister Benazir Bhutto on her journey from Dubai to Karachi that ended her exile.

Pervez Musharraf came into power in a bloodless coup as army chief of staff in 1999.

Following the elections in Feb 2008, he left the country after stepping down in August 2008, when Asif Ali Zardari was elected president after the murder of his wife, former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.

http://dawn.com/2013/03/24/musharraf-to-reach-pakistan-today/

@Fasih Khan: You should start working on the farewell post when he leaves disappointed

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest what are the chances of Musharraf and his party coming to power? And what are chances of IK in election? Is it going to be IK or PP/PMLN? And do MQM have any influence outside Karachi?

The election results will be controlled by those who have always held the reins of power in Pakistan. Who knows what deal has been reached behind the scenes this time?

Back
Top Bottom