What's new

'We Want Hindi': In Tamil Nadu, New Demand Speaks Language of Change

Everything is good as long as it is not imposed on any one...

'We Want Hindi': In Tamil Nadu, New Demand Speaks Language of Change - NDTV

Chennai: In the 1960s, Tamil Nadu saw violent protests against the compulsory learning of Hindi. Now, in a turnaround, many parents and schools in the state have launched a battle against the monopoly of Tamil and say they want Hindi.

A group of schools and parents have challenged a 2006 order by the then DMK government that said only Tamil will be taught till Class 10. Based on their June 5 petition, the Madras High Court has sought a response from the state's AIADMK government.

Students in Chennai say not learning Hindi and other languages dents their job prospects both in India and abroad.

Anirudh, a class IX student who wants to study marine engineering, says he feels forced to learn Tamil. "If I want a job in north India, I need to know Hindi," the Kannada-speaking teen told NDTV.

His classmate, Ashwin, who is from Kerala, says, "I would love to learn French. I could get an opportunity to work abroad."

Even Tamil-speaking brothers Jishnu and Manu want to study Sanskrit and Hindi. Manu said, "We speak Tamil at home. It's boring to learn it in school too." His brother added, "Even in other countries they encourage students to learn as many languages as possible."

Schools that come under the Tamil Nadu board say they have lost several students to central board institutions that offer multiple languages. They suggest a middle path. "They can learn Tamil up to Class 5; it can be compulsory. After that, why not give them other options?" said Revathy Bonns, Principal, Madras Christian College Matriculation Higher Secondary School.

Tamil Nadu's main political rivals are, however, united in supporting Tamil teaching, which they have often linked to regional pride.

Sources in the ruling AIADMK said, "Only Tamil can be the language till class 10. Students can study other languages after that." The DMK's TKS Elangovan told NDTV, "Many eminent people studied only in Tamil medium schools, we have scientist Dr Abdul Kalaam."

In 2000, the Madras High Court struck down an attempt to make Tamil the medium of instruction in schools. This time too, the court may have the final word

;) ;) :)

You cant compare English an universal language or Tamil a classical and native language of the sub continent with Hindi btw the insecurity is the majority who want to impose their foreign language on the minority -

Everyone in India should learn Tamil and the 3000 yr old sangam literary works as part of the original indigenous cultural heritage -

really ? , while Korean wave i sweeping your NE

Korean Wave sweeping northeast | UCAN India
are u an indian....???
if not this thread has little or no meaning for u...and discussion with u will be like banging head on the wall...

The article speaks about plight of non-TAMIL speakers in TN...

First time im hearing that higher education in Bangalore and Mumbai are taught in hindi...

Tell me which higher studies gets u job with hindia as instruction

nice dream... ppl these days are watching US serials and hollywood movies... hindi wallas are going to english medium schools..
they are now realizing the ground reality..

when they read history they will be ashamed to speak in hindi and other non classical languages.. they will start learning one of 6 classical languages of INdia, and bury mediocre languages
lol...watching Hollywood or going to an English medium school doesn't change the fact that hindi is language of masses.... u mean to say all those Bollywood movies are doing no business in south or no Hindi drama are been watched there.... come out of ur delusion...sooner the better...

Are you an Indian??
I cant see your flags.

You can not force Indians to learn another regional Indian language,tamil.
I support hindi as a second language but dont want it forced down one's throat.
sister,he is a Srilankan muslim...avane vittekku..

Average Indian language??? A mediocre language??
Learn to respect languages first.
Aren't you ashamed of calling one of the Indian languages as "mediocre"???
And btw my mother tongue is Malayalam.
I've travelled and lived all over India ergo my conclusion.

Are you an Indian??
I cant see your flags.

It is a fact, hindi is average and mediocre compared to tamil..
A language's greatness is based on history and literary works.. enough said...

I respect hindi and swahili too but hindi as a language cannot be compared to tamil, its based on fact and, prove me why hindi is an equal...
India is beautiful cause of its diversity, don't tell us to learn just because hindi is majority...
We will gladly learn if it offers any thing or something to us...

Are you an Indian??
I cant see your flags.

get your facts right - unlike Hindi, Tamil is not regional language furthermore it has a 3000 yr old literary tradition and might be the language used in the IVC

This is a Pakistan forum and I am free to support the oppressed minorities , your kind need some lessons on minority rights

First time im hearing that higher education in Bangalore and Mumbai are taught in hindi...

When did i say its thought in Hindi...??
read carefully article mentions tamil speaking students particularity born and raised in TN for TN parents too.... and the settlers from outside TN who're studying in TN from 1st std most probably...

Last edited:
get your facts right - unlike Hindi, Tamil is not regional language furthermore it has a 3000 yr old literary tradition and might be the language used in the IVC

This is a Pakistan forum and I am free to support the oppressed minorities , your kind need some lessons on minority rights
yeah ...i am free to support the majority and i fully support the majority of srilanka...
ur kind need to learn some lessons on majority right and peaceful co-existence.... being a minority doesn't mean u people will do whatever comes to ur mind... so, stop playing victim card ..this drama has lasted long and nobody buys it any more...

Last edited:
Mein Bruder, weiß du nicht , er ist nicht von unserer Gesellschaft, sondernd ist von Arabien abgestammt. Er hat kein Recht über Indien zu sprechen. Seine Leute streiten sich in Syria. Da ist sein Hertz.
Warum schreibt er kashmiri als name. Lol.. was für einen looser.

nice dream... ppl these days are watching US serials and hollywood movies... hindi wallas are going to english medium schools..
they are now realizing the ground reality..

when they read history they will be ashamed to speak in hindi and other non classical languages.. they will start learning one of 6 classical languages of INdia, and bury mediocre languages

U are a classic frog in the well

yeah ...i am free to support the majority and i fully support the majority of srilanka...
ur kind need to learn some lessons on majority right and peaceful co-existence.... being a minority doesn't mean u people with do whatever comes to ur mind... so, stop playing victim card ..this drama has lasted long and nobody buys it any more...

what has Lanka got to do with this topic ? you are just over zealous over a false NDTV report

I sincerely hope the majority impose Hindi on Tamilnadu to see the backlash

When did i say its thought in Hindi...??
read carefully article mentions tamil speaking students particularity born and raised in TN for TN parents too.... and the settlers from outside TN who're studying in TN from 1st std most probably...
He is a moron. He has no idea about history.

development in tn is because of the people not the government.

There are so many tamils who need hindi to do business.all businesses in tn are dominated by marwaris and muslims and both speak urdu or hindi.

Sriram can croak in his well but poor mayandi or maasanam need to eat.

what has Lanka got to do with topic ? you are just over zealous over a false NDTV report

I sincerely hope the majority impose Hindi on Tamilnadu to see the backlash
and what a srilankan have to do with this topic... this is between indians...

where did u read that hindi walas want to impose it on tamils.....its tamilians demand....they want to learn Hindi...read the OP then talk...

Your german is that of a german kid, willst du mir eindrücken, ich bin nicht eingedrückt. Ich sage immer noch dass hindi eine scheisse sprache ist aus Hundland ich meine UP und Bihar die grössten kriminalitäten staaten aus indien, und warum hast du schmerzen in deine hinter türchen gefühlt, bist du hindi bhayya oder was

Bist du inder? Wenn nicht dann kann ich verstehen, lol. Und auch für deine scheisse info, in up und bihar die leute spreche dialekten aus hindi, nicht hindi. And post reported for calling india dogland.

we don't wanna waste learning a useless language like hindi why is so hard for u guys to understand.. anti hindi agitations were started by students... no tamil here wants to learn it

When hindi wallas go to non hindi states to earn their bread and butter, i cant understand the audacity of them telling us to learn their language..

Your so called superior language and culture hasn't taught you basic manners I guess. I can foul mouth Tamil here too but I am not a hater and a loser like you

He is a moron. He has no idea about history.

development in tn is because of the people not the government.

There are so many tamils who need hindi to do business.all businesses in tn are dominated by marwaris and muslims and both speak urdu or hindi.

Sriram can croak in his well but poor mayandi or maasanam need to eat.

you know the dynamics of business .?? .its involves networking, its no surprise when ******** and Muslims network within their own circle .. this is petty trade .. for international business the lingua franca is English, Japanese, Chinese etc and Tamils should study these languages and not 3rd world cow belt language

please enroll your kids here thank you

Korean Language Training Institutes and Training Centers in TamilNadu, India - Yet5.com

where did u read that hindi walas want to impose it on tamils.....its tamilians demand....they want to learn Hindi...read the OP then talk...

Tamils demand ??? I said that a false NDTV report to stir Hindi zealots and have substantiate that in my previous post

The ones demanding are non Tamils, including Brahmins posing as Tamils, watch the clip and read the comments

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom