What's new

'We can build Padma Bridge alone

Eastwatch bhai, how valid do you think is the claim that Padma will add 1% to economic growth?

I cannot say about the percentage of future development in the SW of Bangladesh after the Padma Bridge is constructed. But, a bridge that connects two parts will certainly play an important economic role. Take the exmple of vegetables. The quality of vegetables that the Dhaka City dwellers eat are inferior to what the cows in Jessore/Magura eat. When there is a bridge it will allow Magura to produce vegetables in larger quantities that it will supply to Dhaka and other cities in the east. Although very marginal, this will contribute to the development.

I have heard that many big companies have already bought lands in may parts along the two sides of Faridpur-Jessore Road in anticipation of Padma Bridge construction. They like to build prodution factories in this part of the country. Faridpur town has been expanding leaps and bounds. It is at least 10 times larger than it was twenty years ago. Many of the paddy lands around the town here have been transformed also into tree plantations, the wood being used for furnitures. There are probably more than hundred saw mills in and around Faridpur Town, while there was only one twenty years ago.

What I mean, all these and many other economic activities will get a boost when there is a Padma Bridge. A bridge will allow excess goods from the SW to be transported to the east. Think of flowers. it is abundant in Magura. A bridge will allow the farmers in Magura/Jessore to produce more. The country is already exporting flowers and other similar farm goods worth $200 million. So, a Padma Bridge will certainly help develop the farm sector in the SW.

We can see what an effect the Jamuna Bridge has made to the fate of Manga-prone NW of Bangladesh. People in Rangpur are now involved with the mainstream economic activities. There is no manga in rangpur, thanks to the Jamuna Bridge.

530348_325332054249305_773904483_n.jpg

1.BA's HWO (Hill Works Organization), much like PA's FWO, has long experience of building bridges and roads under difficult condition. Even if the work were contracted to a foreign company, they would subcontract all to local contractors.

2. If BA is given this task obviously they will seek access to resources and personnel in R&H and PWD beside Railways. Where necessary they will hire or import eqpt / consumables. Under BA's supervision the work will be faster, smoother and a lot cheaper.

3. The projected cost of US$ 2 blln will definitely come down. And this money is easy to raise locally.

4. The million dollar question is: is GOB willing to do this under BA, or was this a political B/S?

Eastwatch bhai, how valid do you think is the claim that Padma will add 1% to economic growth?

BD's GDP were 110.6121 Billion in 2011,

1% of 110.6121 Billion = 1.106121 Billion

It means, if BD had Padma bridge in 2011, so for 1% growth in 2012 on 110.6121 Billion GDP of 2011, those newly connected areas would have to add 1.106121 Billion (1% of 110.6121 Billion) worth of new contribution to the total economy which would make the total 111.718221 (110.6121 Billion + 1.106121 Billion) GDP in 2012.

Now the calculation should be how much time/years those newly connected areas would need to add 1.1 Billion (1% of 110.6121 Billion) worth of new contribution to the total economy after expending 2 billion on Padma bridge, I think.

Eorl ⚔;3770501 said:
BD's GDP were 110.6121 Billion in 2011,

1% of 110.6121 Billion = 1.106121 Billion

It means, if BD had Padma bridge in 2011, so for 1% growth in 2012 on 110.6121 Billion GDP of 2011, those newly connected areas would have to add 1.106121 Billion (1% of 110.6121 Billion) worth of new contribution to the total economy which would make the total 111.718221 (110.6121 Billion + 1.106121 Billion) GDP in 2012.

Now the calculation should be how much time/years those newly connected areas would need to add 1.1 Billion (1% of 110.6121 Billion) worth of new contribution to the total economy after expending 2 billion on Padma bridge, I think.

A bridge cost 2bn $$ ? WTF !!

With Abul still without being investigated, I am a little sceptical if the present govt can successfully start the design and construction work. Guys, please note, as far as I understand, the designs we so far hear about are conceptual desin drawings. After this concept is approved, a more comprehensive soil investigation and analytical design with mathematical calculations for the pile system, footings, piers, abutments, beams, girders, trusses (if any), deck slabs, comression and expansion joints etc will be performed and drawn on the drawing papers.

Not every detail is possible to write here. But, there will be another design analysis for the temporary bridge at the side of permanent one in order to allow movement of construction machineries, equipments and materials.

You meant structural design??? The company suppose to do that already gone with no time extension i guess. They also took couple of 100 crore with them too.

Don't take this forum too seriously, there are all sorts of weirdos and nutcases on here.

Half of the "Bangladeshi" sub-forum for instance consists of people opposed to the creation and existence of an independent Bangladesh, and hate nationalists who love Bangladesh.

Re topic: If you read my earlier posts I said that I doubt the army could do such a thing. However I dislike certain people who always spread false information about my country, going in to heavy detail about the "Bangladesh army can not do this...they can not do that" (a Bangladeshi army they probably think shouldn't even exist).

Anyway it is clear that the Padma bridge will be built during the tenure of the next government (most likely to be BNP).

@ It is true that your writings are good and English is also good but the problem is your writings are still self contradictory. It seems that still you needs to understand the complex politics of Bangladesh and our sub-continent.

@ Who told you that we hate the very creation of Bangladesh ? Definitely we love our country but the problem is the way it is running and the way India is mishandling our country we still have a doubt whether we will be able to survive ????? DEfinitely we are warried about the role of India regarding Bnagladesh. India is not a trustworthy friend. India had invaded Hydrabad and annexed it. India had taken Goa. India had taken Sikkim and many many more Princely States once British left this sub-continent. Even our neighbour Tripura wanted to join the then East Pakistan but finally India annexed it by force.

@ We are just depicting the true story how Bangaldesh movement started, who all were there behind the screen. I say again, your grandfather, my father and all others who fought for a separate homeland for the Indian Muslims were wrong ? How, can I ignore their sacrifices ? Was it a wrong movement ? About the expoitation of WEst Pakistan from East Pakistan how far it was fully authenticated ? Donnot believe on AL and Indian propaganda ????? So, long we had been hearing one sided propaganda ????? Again, all these agrument does not necessarrilly mean that West Pakistan had not at all expoilted East Pakistan ?

@ Who told you that we hate the Bangladeshi Nationalist ? Do you know the definition of Bangladeshi Nationalist ? It is true that Jammat-e-Islami and all other Islamic parties supported the cause of united Pakistan. Does it mean that all are traiters ? Look man, you are staying in London, you know better than me about the world politics ! Collaborators are all their in a country. During the Second World War, Once German occupied 1/4 of French, General Vichi came forward and collaborated with the German. Along with Vichi, there were lot of French people who helped Vichi even all the colonies of French Empire. Once German captured all most whole of Europe, Ireland declared as a neutral state but evidence says they also collaborated with Germans.

@ About the existance of Bangaldesh Army, we never oppose it rather we advocate more strong army who can sustain against our strong neighbour. It is the concept of all Leftist Parties and Awami Leaque who does not wants the very existance of Army in the true sense.

Wrong, this padma Bridge will cost $2.9 billion. But the way works are moving finally it will cost more than that.

how come such a huge cost??

Some 1000 hectare land is to be acquired and The project will include 6.15 km long and 21.10 m wide bridge, 15.1 km of approach roads, toll plazas and service areas.....in sabke liye $3bn??

A construction of bridge like padma cannot be supervise by the Army engineers because they don't have any training nor any experience in such a giant venture . They may supervise the work of fly over but technically this kind of project must be handled by world renowned firm who have construct or co ordinate this kind of mega bridge .
Its very unfortunate we always expect army to involve in every matter from defence to Bridge construction keeping aside their core responsibility .

Back
Top Bottom