What's new

Ways of improving India-Bangladesh bilateral relations?

Assamese welcome Dhaka offer on northeast separatists
Sat, Sep 12 12:48 PM

Guwahati, Sep 12 (IANS) Bangladesh's pledge to sign a treaty enabling transfer of sentenced militants and criminals and crack down on Indian separatists in its territory has evoked a positive response in Assam.

'If such a treaty is signed, then it is surely a positive development. But it all depends on the Bangladesh government's sincerity,' former Assam police chief G.M. Srivastava said.

'With top leaders of militant groups from Assam and the northeast staying in Bangladesh, a treaty like the one agreed upon could be of immense help in tackling insurgency,' Srivastava told IANS.

Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dipu Moni announced at the end of her four-day India visit that a treaty was in the offing on various counts - from transferring sentenced militants and criminals, combating international terrorism, organised crime and illegal drug trafficking, to acting tough on Indian terrorists based in that country.

The decisions were arrived at during talks with External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna in New Delhi.

India has on numerous occasions submitted lists of camps of northeastern rebel groups based in Bangladesh. Dhaka has persistently denied the existences of these camps.

Separatist camps apart, New Delhi had also queried Dhaka about the presence of separatist leaders like Paresh Baruah, commander-in-chief of the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA), Arabinda Rajkhowa, the ULFA chairman, and Ranjan Daimary, chairman of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), besides several others from the northeast.

'Now that Bangladesh has committed to act tough, there is bound to be pressure on leaders like Paresh Baruah. We understand Paresh Baruah moves around freely in Bangladesh, but maybe it will now be difficult for him,' Jitten Dutta, leader of the pro-talk ULFA faction, told IANS.

The A and C companies of ULFA's 28th battalion, the most potent striking units of the outfit, announced a unilateral ceasefire last year and named itself the 'pro-talk ULFA faction'.

The signing of a treaty would also help India to demand the extradition of ULFA general secretary Anup Chetia from Bangladesh - he is under detention in Bangladesh after being arrested on Dec 21, 1997.

'If Anup Chetia is handed over to India, then probably he would be of great help in furthering the deadlocked peace process with ULFA. He was one person who in the past met leaders in New Delhi for talks... so he has the credentials of being a moderate,' Dutta said.

In 1991, five top ULFA leaders led by Anup Chetia met then prime minister P.V. Narasimha Rao in New Delhi and promised to bring in other top leaders for talks.

But with the senior rebel leadership refusing to hold talks, Chetia went underground again.

Indo Asian News Service

In another news report in BD I have read that our Dipu Moni has not agreed to hand over Anup Chetia. BD population are not in favour of their govt doing so. It will be a dicgrace for BD.

Anup Chetia is not a common criminal or a thug. He is a persecuted political figure and a freedom fighter, who should not be handed over to India, where his life may be in danger. Instead, after setting him free from the jail , he should be given a short stay permit to live in BD. During that period, he should be given freedom to choose a country where he can seek political asylum.

In another news report in BD I have read that our Dipu Moni has not agreed to hand over Anup Chetia. BD population are not in favour of their govt doing so. It will be a dicgrace for BD.

Anup Chetia is not a common criminal or a thug. He is a persecuted political figure and a freedom fighter, who should not be handed over to India, where his life may be in danger. Instead, after setting him free from the jail , he should be given a short stay permit to live in BD. During that period, he should be given freedom to choose a country where he can seek political asylum.

I also misread the initial information regarding extradition treaty. Basically a convicted prisoner could serve the remaining jail term in their country of of origin if they wish to do so.
Anup Chetia already finished his jail term in Bangladesh and he applied for political assylum here. So he is not getting handed over and I dont belive he himself is willing to go back to India either.

That why the BSF shoots to kill...understand?

I think you have chosen wrong information to support the BSF wrongdoings. First of all, no one enters poor India as illegal immigrant. Instead, there are probably, by now, more than one million Indian illegals in BD. The tresspassers BSF kill are cattle smugglers. It is a myth that normal BD nationals move to your honey-soaked India. There have always been a sizable number of Muslim population in Assam since 1206.

Your BSF love not to kill smugglers who trade in heroin or fencidyle. If you cannot keep them in control, then why it is needed to erect your fancy barbed wire fence?

Building Bridges with Bangladesh
Written by KULDIP NAYAR
Wednesday, 23 September 2009 01:20

IT was a feeling of humiliation that gave impetus to the people of East Pakistan to build a country of their own. That was some 38 years ago when Bangladesh was born.

Scant resources and a large population, did not affect their determination to convert the country into a ‘Sonar Bangla’. But gradually a mood of uncertainty set in.
The first blow came when Sheikh Mujib-ur Rahman, the father of the nation, was assassinated. He had the vision and the support of people who were willing to offer any sacrifice. The second blow was the military-inspired coup that destroyed the open and democratic society. Such elements were unleashed which drove the liberals–and their ideals–to the wall.
Bangladesh needed unity to develop. But it witnessed periods of military rule and authoritarian regimes. Then there were the ever battling begums, Sheikh Hasina of Awami League confronting Khaleda Zia of Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP). The exasperated nation has gone back to the beginning and given more than two-thirds of parliament seats to the daughter of the founder of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina. Still, political unity has eluded the country because the BNP has boycotted parliament.
Islamist Extremism: Some developments are ominous. Islamist extremism is rearing its head again. It is selling hatred and anachronism. Jihadis are sprouting here and there. That the hanging of Bangla Bhai and his eight fundamentalist colleagues last year did not evoke any protest is a healthy sign. But he was more of a killer than a religious figure. Even the mullahs felt relieved.
The manner in which the fundamentalists have joined hands with the BNP indicates that religion and politics are sought to be mixed. The Jamaat-i-Islami is their supporter, although it has reluctantly conceded that the liberation struggle contributed to independence. The Awami League, slipping in performance, may find these forces catching the imagination of the common man despite the liberal temperament of Bangladeshis. (Their national anthem is a song by Rabindranath Tagore, an Indian Bengali poet).
The other unfavourable development is that Bangladesh, pre-occupied with the problem of finding lakhs of jobs, has neglected its borders. It has become a haven for all the banned organisations in India, Sri Lanka and even Myanmar. They operate from the Bangladesh soil and find it safe to do so. They belong to the United Liberation Front of Assam (ULFA), the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and other lawless groups.
A concerted fight against them is what Bangladesh Foreign Minister, Mr Dipu Doni’s promised Indian Foreign Minister, Mr S M Krishna when they met at Delhi a few days ago. “We will not allow any terrorist on our soil, be it any creed or colour,” she assured. “We are undertaking action to arrest and uproot them.” She has signed an agreement to combat international terrorism and crime.
Role of India: India has, in turn, allowed border markets and given Bangladesh 1000MW of power straightaway, apart from developing power grid connectivity. (Bangladesh is helplessly short of power). After straightening things with the West, India was the first country to which Sheikh Hasina sent her foreign minister to assess how far India was willing to accommodate Bangladesh. It is apparent that Sheikh Hasina cannot be satisfied with an agreement on power. She expects wider and closer economic cooperation.
In fact, after the liberation of Bangladesh there was a joint planning board of New Delhi and Dhaka. An outline was prepared how economy of the two countries would be dovetailed to benefit each other. Everything has remained on paper since the assassination of Mujib-ur Rahman. True, New Delhi has its own limitations. But it has a larger economy. It can do much more than it has promised. Perhaps New Delhi can encourage some private investors to pump money into Bangladesh or set up joint ventures to produce what India requires.
India has exacted a price in the shape of Dhaka’s undertaking to go after the Islamist extremists and militants operating from its soil. But, as Sheikh Hasina found during her earlier stint of rule, it is not easy to fight against them when they have godfathers in both countries. Drug trafficking by militants gives them an income of hundreds of crores. It is difficult to demolish their network or that of criminals, smugglers and religious bigots because those who use them wield political power as well.
The steps that Dhaka takes against them–it has tinkered with the problem in the past–may stoke anti-India fire which is already burning fiercely. The anti-Pakistan feeling has been replaced by an anti-India feeling. Still Dhaka has to face the situation. It cannot be seen running with the hare and hunting with the hounds. Bangladesh knows that failure to tackle terrorists operating from its soil may cost the country dearly.
Transit Rights: The point to worry about is New Delhi. It expects much more than Dhaka can deliver. India also wants it to give transit rights to reach its north-eastern states and facilities at the Chittagong port for exports. Such steps are seen by the common man as New Delhi’s hegemony. Talks on such matters soured relations in the past. New Delhi will have to sell them to the people of Bangladesh with reason and convince them that these measures are to their advantage. Thank God, the demand for natural gas has not been renewed. This is a touchy subject for Bangladesh.
Again, there is apprehension in Bangladesh over the Tipaimukh Dam project located near the confluence of the Barak and Tuivai rivers in Manipur. True, New Delhi says that there will be no diversion of water. Why not suggest a joint board of engineers from India and Bangladesh to supervise the project to remove any doubts? With great difficulty we have been able to quieten the Farakka barrage controversy. Let us not have another one.
India needs to reflect on why all the neighbouring countries have distanced themselves from it. No doubt, its size deters them. But more than that, their feeling is that New Delhi is becoming increasingly conscious of emerging as a world power. It tends to throw its weight around in such a manner that the neighbours have come to have doubts about its bona fides.
New Delhi must do some introspection because it is not that all next-door neighbours have turned hostile. They are suspicious, something which India must remove by its deeds.

Your post convinced me, you hate my country to core and that to never ever trust BD people. May god gives us opportunity to return this favor in full.

First of all, no one enters poor India as illegal immigrant. Instead, there are probably, by now, more than one million Indian illegals in BD
Sure, anything you say. Poor old BD. Poor Indians come into honey coated BD. None of the BD citizen's enter ****** India. Good.. what else ? any other pearls you wish to share ?

Your BSF love not to kill smugglers who trade in heroin or fencidyle. If you cannot keep them in control, then why it is needed to erect your fancy barbed wire fence?
We shall worry about BSF. You worry about BDR (if it exists anymore)

To the others : The thread started on a positive note. Somewhere people hijacked it beyond salvage. Even the original author chipped in with his share of flame's making me wonder why he started this thread in the first place. Wanted one more bash India avenue isn't it ?

Good. This is what thrives this forum. Keep on hating each others. Kill and spread your venom. Make a wonderfull world for your children's.

Your post convinced me, you hate my country to core and that to never ever trust BD people. May god gives us opportunity to return this favor in full.
Please do not get carried away with unnecessary emotions and do not decide prematuredly that someone is anti-Indian. Read my post and say if I am correct or not. Anup Chetia is certainly not a street thug, and in the eyes of his own people he is a freedom fighter. He has been arrested and jailed by a competent authority for unauthorized entry into BD.

If he is handed over to Indian authority, his life will be at risk, and, therefore, he has every right to ask for a political assylum in any country. What is your idea about our Human Rights groups. They are very strong, and they will start shouting and inform the matter to the european govts.

Hey Stumper - What do you find wrong with this logic that eastwatch has put forward?

Did not India also give refuge to Kader Siddiqui? And not only for his safety - but he was also given all support to carry out subversive activities against Bangladesh. And then there is this Shanti Bahini issue that India trains and arms these hill people against our people?

Look yourself up well, in the mirror and do not point finger at us for keeping well within Human Rights Charter and the International standards and laws.

Please do not get carried away with unnecessary emotions and do not decide prematuredly that someone is anti-Indian. Read my post and say if I am correct or not. Anup Chetia is certainly not a street thug, and in the eyes of his own people he is a freedom fighter. He has been arrested and jailed by a competent authority for unauthorized entry into BD.

If he is handed over to Indian authority, his life will be at risk, and, therefore, he has every right to ask for a political assylum in any country. What is your idea about our Human Rights groups. They are very strong, and they will start shouting and inform the matter to the european govts.

EastWatch: WoW.. that was swift 180. OK, let me paste your comments "

He is a persecuted political figure and a freedom fighter, who should not be handed over to India, where his life may be in danger.

First: Your calling a wanted terrorist (Interpol and Indian courts) as a political figure speaks volume itself about your intention's.

Second : You categorically proclaim "he should not be handed over to India, where his life may be in Danger". Whom are you fooling? ... I remember , All your BD member having choice words and gunning for life of Mr.Moeen (your army chief) for the BDR carnage ... and here you want to protect this scum responsible for act of terrorism in my country? .. give me a break chief. Instead of finding ways to bring this dog to justice, you guys want to shield him in the name of human right. Why shouldnt we belive you as being Anti Indian?

ULFA is a designated terrorist organization in my country. Chetia has arrest warrant issued against him for terror related activities. he has Interpol red alert against him. He has to face court of law in my land.

Hey Stumper - What do you find wrong with this logic that eastwatch has put forward?

Did not India also give refuge to Kader Siddiqui? And not only for his safety - but he was also given all support to carry out subversive activities against Bangladesh. And then there is this Shanti Bahini issue that India trains and arms these hill people against our people?

Look yourself up well, in the mirror and do not point finger at us for keeping well within Human Rights Charter and the International standards and laws.

Hey SeaGull,

What era are you talking about.. kindly give me a link as to what you are talking about on this Mr.kader ... i have no clue!

Even i can go on and on about you guys training NE terrorist in this era itself.

My point is, you are calling a wanted terrorist as a political figure (which he is not) .. you are shielding him under the guise of human rights.

Even i can go on and on about you guys training NE terrorist in this era itself.

:undecided: hey why India doesnt decide first who trained NE "terrorists" ist it Bangladesh, China or Pakistan.

I see the Indians come up with points whatever way their boat sails

:undecided: hey why India doesnt decide first who trained NE "terrorists" ist it Bangladesh, China or Pakistan.

I see the Indians come up with points whatever way their boat sails

well, google , would be best source for you to find out about that, sir.

well, google , would be best source for you to find out about that, sir.

First of all i am a GIRL not sir.

Secondly i dont need to google. Indians have been blaming China, Pakistan earlier and now you came up with Bangladesh too.

But if your claim is true i am happy that our Bangladeshi brothers now have good skills :tup:

First of all i am a GIRL not sir.

Secondly i dont need to google. Indians have been blaming China, Pakistan earlier and now you came up with Bangladesh too.

But if your claim is true i am happy that our Bangladeshi brothers now have good skills :tup:

i knew you people always supported terrorism,be it in kashmir or ne india!!.....this post of your speaks a lot

Back
Top Bottom