What's new

Ways of improving India-Bangladesh bilateral relations?

Last fight in Padua, BDR 6 people kill 50 of BSF soldiers. We officially hand over total 18 dead BSF bodies to India. Lot of the dead bodies
were taken by BSF while they retreat.

Saying above this should never happen between neighbors.
But if some slum like you get shot, I do not mind.

Khabib,I heard the unofficial body count to be 97.That's what a person I know told me,whose village was near roumari.He was an eyewitness to the incident.Also he added that,the local people beat some intruders to death,with maces and stuffs.Which is evident from the pictures of the dead bodies.

And I heard the same number from Eastwatch sir here and in some other site.So I think,that is true.

Last edited:
Khabib,I heard the unofficial body count to be 97.That's what a person I know told me,whose village was near padua.He was an eyewitness to the incident.Also he added that,the local people beat some intruders to death,with maces and stuffs.Which is evident from the pictures of the dead bodies.

And I heard the same number from Eastwatch sir here and in some other site.So I think,that is true.
Yes, the Indian Army deaths were 97 in the Roumari battle. Irrespective of what people tend to think, Padua and Roumary are two different fronts 300 km away from each other. However, the conflict started at Padua. It is a BD territory occupied since 1971 by the BSF of DADA country.

In the BDR BSF negotiations after 1971, it was decided that BSF would not build road, watch tower, or any other permanent structure. When BDR noticed in 2001 that BSF was building a road there, it protested without result. So, the BDR, on the night of 15th April surrounded the drunk BSF troops, disarmed them and seized them. They declared Padua as BD territory.

IA assembled 2000 troops, BDR called in about 400 jawans. IA did not attack at the cite of BDR reinforcements. However, in the next 48 hours BD govt decided not to change the previous status quo of Padua,and decided to release the BSF troops.

There was another development, it was by the IA. To avenge the humiliation at Padua they decided to capture the Roumari BOP 300 km away from Padua where only 13 BDR troops were guarding. On the very early hours of 18th April, one small brave son of ours aged only 12 saw the Indian army movements when he was checking the depth of irrigation water in his father's paddy field.

He was surprised to see heavily armed IA troops at far. He ran under the shades of trees to his house. Two adults from his house ran to the BD BOP. The 13 BDR troops were not to vacate the outpost, rather they decided to repulse the enemy attack. 13 BDR jawans against an well armed IA troops of 400! It was later known that there were another 400 troops just across the border waiting for signal to move in.

They made a standing short prayer to Allah, embraced each other and sought forgiveness fully knowing that they would be killed by enemy bullets. The Commanding Officer ordered them to spread and take positions. When the IA troops were inside a range of about 60 metres they opened fire. About 40 to 50 of the enemy troops were killed immediately and the remainder were killed in the next one hour or two.

A total of 3 of our braves were killed and 97 of IA including their CO were killed. A history was made. No Pakistani, Sikh or Gorkha will ever accept this kind of challenge. A new history of warfare was made by our BDR. However, I personally cherish the fighting spirit of our troops, and do not necessarily relish the killings as a consequence.

By the way, toxic_pus, the BDR DG at that time was Gen. Fazlur Rahman Khan. He was about 7' tall, and not 5' tall as your BD bashers were telling us.

Last edited:
On the very early hours of 18th April, one small brave son of ours aged only 12 saw the Indian army movements when he was checking the depth of irrigation water in his father's paddy field.

This came out on many national dailies the next day.I remember reading about the brave boy.I think he also misguided the intruding BSF jawans when they asked him about BDR camp.Am I right?

You should thank the Muslims of Bengal to change the basic vegetarian food culture of local Hindus.
Now, some of them know the taste of meat. But, even then WB Hindus are much shorter than our well-fed Hindus in BD. They are almost 5', isn't it? Think of your economic minister.

The WB Hindu Bangalis work less, earn less and spend less on food. This is their culture and we cannot change this while living outside their society. We work hard, earn more and spend lot on foods. This is our culture, this is why people here have the courage to go abroad, work hard and earn good money so that their family members can spend more on food and live a better life.

I request you not to recommend me for a Nobel Prize for stating the truths. Please do not do it, okay?
It seems your only purpose is to flame...
regardless of what you believe...the african pygmies have always fed on meat...and they are not even 5ft....eating meat doesn't alter your genes...your display picture is that of an egyptian from the times of the pharaoh right?
it seems you are intensely unhappy at being a Bengali and what to pass as a mid-easterner...
the WB bengalis consider fish to be staple...have always done...
"The WB Hindu Bangalis work less, earn less and spend less on food. This is their culture and we cannot change this while living outside their society. We work hard, earn more and spend lot on foods."
jealousy?
the state of WB alone has produced 4 nobel laureates...how many in total from BD?
none...
how many olympians from BD?
none..
how good is the BD cricket team against the hindu vegetarian team of ours?
won two or three matches against innumerable losses...
like it or not...your BD people look just like the normal bengalis and not like arabs...dont you know that this is what the arabs cash in on?the arabs consider themselves better than the muslims of your county and my country...and that feeling of false supremacy stems from approach like yours.

This came out on many national dailies the next day.I remember reading about the brave boy.I think he also misguided the intruding BSF jawans when they asked him about BDR camp.Am I right?
I have evaluated this newspaper report about the boy. But, IA troops were in a war mission, and they had prepared an elaborate plan before crossing the international border. I cannot imagine a situation that BSF would be that dumb so as not to know even where the BOP was. They are supposed to have included BSF guides with them to show the way and target.

If this news is correct, then the IA would not have found out the BDR BOP unless they had met the boy by chance. It is impossible, a military expedition does not depend on chance encounters in a foreign land. I believe, that part of news was imagined by the reporters. Reporters are always like this.

Last edited:
Non-sequitur. BSF shoots at whoever tries to cross the border. But by drawing that conclusion you have effectively admitted, that the only infiltrators from BD are muslims and not the non-muslims.

Good going genius.:tup:
Spin doctors often mix-up truth with fallacies due to the heavy dozes of chiva-chiva in their stomach. And about the Indians, oh boy! indoctrinated by Bhande-Mataram, they become Raja & ujirs by one virtual sukh-tan while screaming like don't kill our cow-Matas but forget that 'Jutas' rapped up their dirty feet are made off Mata's skin.:hitwall: Now, how would the people of such Gajar Rajjjay find out without checking the genital, if hardly there is any de-resemblance of Bengalis between two borders?:woot:

Khabib,I heard the unofficial body count to be 97.That's what a person I know told me,whose village was near roumari.He was an eyewitness to the incident.Also he added that,the local people beat some intruders to death,with maces and stuffs.Which is evident from the pictures of the dead bodies.

50 was the minimum number that was told me by a friend of mine who was at the nearby cant. at that time. your account may be more
accurate.

India agrees to give links with Nepal, Bhutan :: Bangladesh :: bdnews24.com ::

INDIA AGREES TO GIVE LINKS WITH NEPAL, BHUTAN
Thu, Sep 10th, 2009 2:35 pm BdST

Dhaka, Sept 10 (bdnews24.com)—India has agreed to provide Bangladesh "connectivity" with Nepal and Bhutan through Indian territories, says a Bangladesh-India joint statement on foreign minister Dipu Moni's recent visit to that country.

New Delhi gave the consent after Dipu Moni held series of talks with top Indian leaders including prime minister Manmohan Singh.

In turn, Dhaka agreed to give India access to Ashuganj port to facilitate movements of Indian consignments through Bangladesh, said the statement issued by the Indian high commission in Dhaka on Thursday after the two-day talks on Sept 8 and 9.

The two countries agreed also to hand over convicted criminals to each other and cooperate to curb international crime.

India also agreed to provide Bangladesh 100 megawatts of electricity "on a priority basis", subject to completion of a feasibility study on a power grid connectivity between the two countries.

The two sides discussed the use of Chittagong port by India, but no agreement was reached.

"Both sides recognised the importance of bilateral and regional connectivity," the joint statement reads.

"In this context, both sides discussed designating Ashuganj as a new port of call under Article-23 of the Inland Water Transit and Trade Agreement as well as the use of Chittagong port by India."

Continued the statement: "Bangladesh side agreed to provide access to Ashuganj Port to facilitate the transportation of the Over Dimensional Consignments for the Palatana Power Project in Tripura.

"Indian side agreed to facilitate Nepal-Bangladesh and Bhutan-Bangladesh connectivity."

The statement said, "India agreed to provide at least 100 MW to Bangladesh on a priority basis.

"Ahead of this, it will also undertake a feasibility study on power grid inter-connectivity for transmission lines, etc from India to Bangladesh".

The Hindu : News / National : India, Bangladesh agree to resolve outstanding issues

Bangladesh on Thursday indicated that it is taking action against north east insurgents taking shelter there as the two countries decided to sign agreements providing for transfer of terrorists and criminals.

Viewing a "historic opportunity" to work together, the two countries also agreed to resolve the outstanding issues relating to boundary and water-sharing of common rivers and decided on a number of steps to boost trade and connectivity.

The measures, agreed during talks between External Affairs Minister S M Krishna and his counterpart Dipu Moni, included starting of border 'haats (markets)' and movement of containerised cargo by rail and water for bilateral trade.

India agreed to provide Line of Credit for railway projects and offered to take up construction of Akhaura-Agartala railway link.

In a joint statement issued at the conclusion of the four-day visit of Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dipu Moni, the two sides vowed not to allow the use of their territories for activities inimical to each other's security interests.

They also agreed to strengthen bilateral cooperation to "deter the recurrence of terrorist incidents".

Asked whether Bangladesh will take action against north east insurgents taking shelter there, Ms. Moni told reporters that her country would "not allow any terrorist on its soil, may it be of any creed or colour...We are undertaking action to arrest and uproot them."

In the context of cooperating in the fight against terror, India and Bangladesh decided to conclude three agreements -- the mutual legal assistance treaty on criminal matters, agreement on transfer of sentenced persons and agreement on combating international terrorism, organised crime and illegal drug trafficking.

The agreements will provide a legal framework for seeking deportation of northeast insurgents who take shelter in Bangladesh, including those who have been arrested and sentenced in Bangladesh like ULFA leader Anup Chetia.

Chetia is set to be released from a Bangladesh prison and India has made a request that he should be handed over.

Ms. Moni said the cooperation on fight against terrorism will involve sharing of intelligence and other aspects of collaboration.

Asked whether an extradition treaty would be signed, she said the two sides are discussing it.

Ms. Moni said the two countries have common views on various issues and both agreed that there was a “historic opportunity to work together and move together“.

On her meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, she said he had told her that India attaches the highest priority to its relations with Bangladesh.

Dr. Singh extended an invitation to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to visit India at an early date so that the two countries could “write a new chapter” in bilateral ties.

I read 4 news sources regarding the joint press release today. The Indian embassy here emphasized on transit and connectivity but Hindu reported only terrorist extradition (as if army of terrorist are waiting across the border only to be extradited) and BD's interest on rail coach. Indian news agencies also highlighting the credits sought in those rail coach purchase which is a common practice world wide called suppliers credit. We are buying 4 boieng 777 and 4 boeing 787 on credit arranged by boeing. India does the same when they make big purchase.

I just wonder, how much Indian media are infested with propaganda and how much they are misinformed.

The Daily Star - Details News

In a major breakthrough in bilateral relationship, India has agreed with Bangladesh to facilitate Bangladesh's transit to Nepal and Bhutan, provide at least 100MW power on priority basis, increase trade and communication facilities and resolve other outstanding issues.

Recognising the importance of bilateral and regional connectivity, Bangladesh discussed allowing India to use Chittagong Port and designating Ashuganj as a new port of call under the Inland Water Transit and Trade Agreement, says a joint press statement of Foreign Minister Dipu Moni and Indian External Affairs Minister SM Krishna.

Both sides agreed to resolve outstanding issues relating to Dahagram and Angarpota enclaves and Tin Bigha Corridor, said the statement issued in New Delhi yesterday during Dipu Moni's September 7-10 official visit to the neighbouring country.

Both the countries recognised the need to finalise the water-sharing agreement for the Teesta and agreed to begin Joint Hydrological Observations on the river immediately.

If finalised, this will be the second water management treaty with India after the 1996 Ganges Water Treaty.

Bangladesh and India did not have any dialogue on water sharing in the last four years.

The two countries agreed to finalise three agreements on mutual legal assistance on criminal matters, transfer of sentenced persons and combating international terrorism, organised crime and illegal drug trafficking.

They agreed on re-opening of Sabroom-Ramgarh trade point as well as a land route at Demagiri-Thegamukh on the Mizoram border for bilateral trade.

India agreed in principle to provide Bangladesh with a line of credit for railway projects and supplying locomotives, coaches and buses. It offered to take up construction of Akhaura-Agartala railway link under Indian assistance.

India also agreed to assist Bangladesh in dredging rivers.

Both the sides agreed to start markets on the Bangladesh-Meghalaya border and allow movement of container cargos by rail and water for bilateral trade.

Bangladesh raised the issue of duty-free access for its commodities, removal of non-tariff and para-tariff barriers and improvement of infrastructure on the Indian side. India requested Bangladesh to remove barriers to Indian investments and port restrictions for specific commodities.

Foreign Minister Dipu Moni earlier discussed a range of issues with the Indian foreign minister. She also called on Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Union Minister for Finance Pranab Mukherjee and Union Minister for Water Resources and Parliamentary Affairs Pawan Kumar Bansal.

Dipu was accompanied by her spouse Tawfique Newaz, Foreign Secretary Ambassador Mijarul Quayes, and Director General (South Asia) of foreign ministry Muhammad Imran.

The Indian premier told Dipu that India attaches highest priority to its relations with Bangladesh. He reiterated his invitation to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to visit India, expressing the hope that her visit would write a new chapter in Indo-Bangladesh relations.

During the official talks, the two ministers noted that recent elections

have provided both the countries with a historical opportunity to take their bilateral relations to a greater height.

Our New Delhi correspondent writes: This is the first time that India and Bangladesh reached such substantive agreements in the area of security cooperation.

Replying to a question from media persons at the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi after the release of the joint statement, Dipu said Bangladesh government is taking action against militants and India and Bangladesh agreed to cooperate on the issue. She reiterated "our resolve not to allow use of our territories against each other".

Asked about the joint operation against militants, she said the two countries can cooperate by sharing intelligence about the ultras.

She, however, made it clear that the two countries "have not finalised anything on extradition agreement".

"We agreed to work together and move together not only in bilateral relations but also for entire South Asia," Dipu Moni said.

She said since both the countries believe in the rule of law and democratic and secular societies, "this is a historical opportunity for the two countries to move together to take bilateral relations to a new height".

The two countries were understood to have had differences on a "few words" in the joint statement, which were sorted out after Dipu had telephonic calls with "appropriate authorities in Dhaka".

Excerpts from joint press

statement

Both sides recognised the need to expedite negotiations with a view to finalise an agreement for sharing of the waters of Teesta river. Towards this end, they agreed to mandate their respective Foreign Offices to meet and discuss the technical and other parameters of this issue. They agreed to immediately commence Joint Hydrological Observations on the river. They also agreed to undertake bank protection works, dredging of Ichhamati river and minor irrigation/drinking water schemes on Feni river.

The Bangladesh side thanked the Indian side for the hospitality and cooperation extended to the Bangladesh Parliamentary delegation during their visit to the proposed Tipaimukh Dam site. In this context, the Bangladesh side welcomed India's reassurance that it would not take steps that would adversely impact Bangladesh.

Both sides recognised the importance of bilateral and regional connectivity. In this context, both sides discussed designating Ashuganj as a new port of call under Article-23 of the Inland Water Transit and Trade Agreement as well as the use of Chittagong port by India. Bangladesh side agreed to provide access to Ashuganj Port to facilitate the transportation of the Over Dimensional Consignments for the Palatana Power Project in Tripura.

Indian side agreed to facilitate Nepal-Bangladesh and Bhutan-Bangladesh connectivity.

Both sides agreed to enhance cooperation in the power sector. India agreed to provide at least 100 MW to Bangladesh on a priority basis. Ahead of this, it will also undertake a feasibility study on power grid inter-connectivity for transmission lines, etc from India to Bangladesh.

Both sides agreed on the re-opening [of] Sabroom-Ramgarh trade point as well as opening a land route at Demagiri-Thegamukh on the Mizoram border for bilateral trade.

India agreed in principle to provide a Line of Credit for railway projects and supply of locomotives, coaches and buses. India offered to take up construction of Akhaura-Agartala railway link under Indian assistance.

India also agreed to assist Bangladesh in the dredging sector.

Both sides agreed to start Border Haats [markets] at the Bangladesh-Meghalaya border for mutual benefit of the people in these areas.

Both sides agreed to movement of containerised cargo by rail and water for bilateral trade.

Both sides welcomed the holding of the Joint Working Group on Trade last month and discussed broad economic issues with a view to fully activate all institutional mechanisms to promote two-way trade, initiate long pending trade facilitation measures and facilitate movement of businessmen and professionals. Bangladesh specifically raised the issue of duty free access to Bangladeshi commodities, removal of Non Tariff and Para Tariff Barriers and improvement of infrastructures on the Indian side. Indian side expressed its readiness to assist Bangladesh in strengthening the Bangladesh Standards and Testing Institute. It also requested for removal of barriers to Indian investments and port restrictions for specific commodities.

Both sides agreed to comprehensively address all outstanding land boundary issues. Both sides expressed their intent to resolve outstanding issues relating to Dahagram and Angarpota enclaves and the Tin Bigha Corridor. Both sides also recognised the need for electrification of Dahagram and Angarpota enclaves as a humanitarian gesture.

The two Ministers reiterated their resolve to strengthen bilateral co-operation to deter the recurrence of terrorist incidents. Both sides also reiterated their resolve not to allow the use of their territories for activities inimical to each other's security interests.

Both sides agreed to conclude the following three agreements:

a. Agreement for mutual legal assistance on criminal matters;

b. Agreement of transfer of sentenced persons;

c. Agreement on combating international terrorism, organised crime and illegal drug trafficking.

The two Ministers reiterated their conviction that opportunities for fruitful collaboration between the two countries in furthering mutual interests were enormous and resolved to remain engaged to expeditiously address all bilateral issues.

This is really confusing to me with this border hut concept. They are building border fences everyday and complaining about illegal BD citizen in their territory yet they want movement of people across the border in those border markets. Is it for Indian citizens to come to BD for shopping? Seems like that is what they want. In Megalaya border I dont think BD citizen will need to go to Indian side for shopping.

This is really confusing to me with this border hut concept. They are building border fences everyday and complaining about illegal BD citizen in their territory yet they want movement of people across the border in those border markets. Is it for Indian citizens to come to BD for shopping? Seems like that is what they want. In Megalaya border I dont think BD citizen will need to go to Indian side for shopping.

I think it would be fine(even welcomed) for Bangladeshis to come to India legally on bussiness or tourist visas. What the Indians don't want is illegal cross-border travel and smuggling. IMO, this has been hyped up a lot by the right wing press, but fencing will provide help in allaying these concerns. It will also make it safer for Bangladeshi and Indian civilians who want to cross the border legally

The hut concept is basically border marketswere traders from both countries bring their stuff to the border, buy and sell, and then go back, without actually having to go into the other country. So cross border travel/visas is required

Indian NE including Meghalaya lacks industrial infrastructure and they also do not like the Babus from Calcutta to go there and open shops or industries. Therefore, a border hut will involve not only the agriculture products of both the countries, but also BD industrial goods for sale there. Khashia cottage industries are developed and will find good market in BD.

A border hut will be across the border watched by both BDR and BSF. However, Assamese freedom fighters may take this opportunity to enter BD. Occasionally, there are similar venues in our western border during Bangla New Year festival. People are allowed to cross the border river and meet their family and friends living on the other side. They have to leave before sunset.

However, as you know there may be a million Indian citizens from NE working in BD. A border hut may induce many others to cross the border and find employment here. We already have more than 500,000 Burmese citizens. A new influx will be be too heavy a burden.

Looks like with the Nepal-Bhutan connectivity and use of Bangladeshi seaports by India, we are set to move to get some good economic mileage.

Bangladesh allows India to use Chittagong and Ashuganj ports
Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - Bangladesh allows India to use Chittagong and Ashuganj ports

NEW DELHI, Sept. 10 (APP) - Bangladesh has allowed India to use Chittagong and Ashuganj ports for transportation of goods.This was stated in a joint statement issued here on Thursday on the conclusion of the 4-day official visit of Bangladesh Foreign Minister Dr. Dipu Moni to India.This was the first visit to India of any Bangladesh Foreign Minister after taking over the power by the new government of Awami League leader Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Wajid.
The statement said both sides discussed designating Ashuganj as a new port of call under Article-23 of the Inland Water Transit and Trade Agreement as well as the use of Chittagong port by India. Bangladesh side agreed to provide access to Ashuganj Port to facilitate the transportation of the Over Dimensional Consignments for the Palatana Power Project in Tripura.

Indian side agreed to facilitate Nepal-Bangladesh and Bhutan-Bangladesh connectivity.

During the visit, Dr, Dipu Moni also met with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee besides holding talks with External Affairs Minister S M Krishna.

Both sides agreed to comprehensively address all outstanding land boundary issues including Dahagram and Angarpota enclaves and the Tin Bigha Corridor.

The two countries have also agreed to conclude three agreements including agreement for mutual legal assistance on criminal matters, agreement of transfer of sentenced persons and agreement on combating international terrorism, organized crime and illegal drug trafficking.

India has been accusing Bangladesh for harbouring leader and activists of ULFA and other organizations which are active in North East states of India.

Referring to sharing of the waters of Teesta river, it was agreed to mandate their respective Foreign Offices to meet and discuss the technical and other parameters of this issue. A Joint Hydrological Observations on the river will be commenced with immediate effect.

India agreed to provide at least 100 MW to Bangladesh on a priority basis. For this purpose, India will also undertake a feasibility study on power grid inter-connectivity for transmission lines from India to Bangladesh.

Both sides agreed to movement of containerised cargo by rail and water for bilateral trade.

Both sides agreed to comprehensively address all outstanding land boundary issues including Dahagram and Angarpota enclaves and the Tin Bigha Corridor.

Back
Top Bottom