What's new

Ways of improving India-Bangladesh bilateral relations?

@Glomex n toxic,

No point arguing with the deaf, dumb n blinds, who first says there are no illegal BD imigration into India and then brings up some obsolete wet dream of a journalism to counter it. Those who can even imagine of comparing India's economic and social status to BD today can only be lunatics. I for one, by no means, wish that BD remains poor but sincerely wish that they become richer than if not equally rich to India in the coming days. My best wishes with them. But what frustrates me is these pompousness and fool's argument on the illegal immigration and terrorism issue. Their only genuine concern is the river-water issue. Yet one get surprised, frustrated and angry to see their level of hatred towards India (at the same time their goody goody approach towards their once detractor Pakistanis).

BTW, you guys should visit Assam sometimes and then you only will realise that the time bomb that you mention is almost about to burst here. It really breaks my heart to see the demographic changes that has happened in front of my eyes. And it makes me mad at our own greedy politicians who had let it happen and still allowing the viruses to grow at breakneck speed.

What are the indigenous Assamese doing?..When the govt does not help,the citizens should take matters in their own hands.Kick them out.

I am uniquely aware of this situation..the Mexico border is probably even worse than the Indian-BD one as the border guards are afraid to even use force against the illegals crossing over.(unlike the BSF who shoot to kill)I fear that California is already lost,New Mexico and Nevada may be second in line. A country which does not protect her borders will not remain a country for long.

Now the matter to worry for Bangladesh is among these Indian illegal migrants,there might be terrorists who are recruiting innocent young men here.
We should start dealing with them soon.We already arrested a number of Indian extremist recently.
Besides,they are taking up bangladeshi jobs and sending back money to India.
Yes, BD should worry about these Indians living in BD. Many of them are RAW agents working and living under different masks. Many of them are working in the ready made garments (RMG) sector. There were many illegal strikes, picketings and pitched battles by these labours. There were fighting with the Ansars.

I have noticed every time this happens, our newspapers, politicians and social leaders suspect foreign agents behind all the criminal acts. RMG sector is very vibrant in BD. This sector is much bigger than India's RMG sector. So, it is possible that RAW is trying to sabotage this sector with the help of their hidden among the RMG labours.

What are the indigenous Assamese doing?..When the govt does not help,the citizens should take matters in their own hands.Kick them out.

I am uniquely aware of this situation..the Mexico border is probably even worse than the Indian-BD one as the border guards are afraid to even use force against the illegals crossing over.(unlike the BSF who shoot to kill)I fear that California is already lost,New Mexico and Nevada may be second in line. A country which does not protect her borders will not remain a country for long.
Yes, if you found illegal immigrants, you should kick them out, because India is such a poor 3rd world country! How can India bear such a heavy burden. When 500,000 Burmese Rohingyas entered BD, the GoB asked for international burden-sharing. India, being poor, should also ask the same immediately and ask the GoB to take back its citizens, if any. Instead, you people are just crying wolf.

People at the helms of affairs in New Delhi and Kolkata must know that the 4,096-kilometer-long and porous India-Bangladesh border is a time bomb that will explode sooner or later. In West Bengal and particularly places like Maldah, South Dinajpur and Jalpaiguri and other areas adjoining Indo-Bangladesh border, illegal immigration has been a long standing problem.

In Maldah and Jalpaiguri alone more than 70 per cent of rikshaw pullers and workers in the unorganized sector of labour are from Bangladesh without valid papers. In the light of the recent terrorist attacks in different parts of the country, security agencies have been expressing concern that these illegal immigrants could well be involved or lured in terrorist activities in exchange of money or other procurement.

This Citizen Reporter who has been travelling in the entire region during the recent panchayat polls reports that the Border Security Force and the CRPF who have been scrutinizing these polls, have expressed concern what they called political connivance at such infiltration.

The 4,096-kilometer-long and porous India-Bangladesh border makes for easy crossing. In Nagaland, the population of Muslims, mostly illegal migrants from Bangladesh, has more than trebled in the past decade - the figure rising from 20,000 in 1991 to more than 75,000 in 2001. Illegal migrants have settled in various Indian states, including West Bengal, Assam, Bihar (in the northeastern districts of Katihar, Sahebganj, Kishanganj and Purnia), Tripura and even in Delhi.

The steady flow of illegal immigrants from Bangladesh has significantly altered the region''s demographic complexion, particularly in the border districts of West Bengal and Assam, and with important political implications. In Assam illegal migrants affect state politics in a major way, having acquired a critical say in an estimated 50 of the state's 126 assembly constituencies.

At the same time, the steady growth of radical and militant extremists spewing Islamic jargon in Bangladesh since September 11, 2001, and Dhaka's inability, or unwillingness, to tackle the same has raised the stakes further for India. Yet to date it has proved impossible for New Delhi to get an action plan to deal with the problem off the ground. The late national security adviser, J N "Mani" Dixit, was reportedly aware and concerned about these developments. But he did not find eager ears in the Manmohan Singh cabinet to listen and attend to this real danger. It is also known that the US Embassy is aware of the danger, but will not say anything lest it be construed as interfering in another sovereign state's affairs. Internal quibbling among the powers-that-be in Delhi over threat perception priorities has worsened the situation.

Meanwhile, the 1983 legislation that stymied India's historic immigration law, the Foreigners Act of 1946, and seriously tipped the scales in favor of the illegal immigrants - the Illegal Migrants (Determination by Tribunals) Act (IMDT) - was recently reinforced by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government. For illegal immigrants, many of whom could be anti-India (or anti-Hindu, whatever fits the objective) extremists and Pakistani Inter-Service Intelligence (ISI) operatives, the playing field remains better than level.
EAST INDIA WATCH: Illegal Immigration: India's Ticking Time Bomb
Why the Indians are so worried about Islamic fighters or Mujahids? If you want to get rid of them, then solve all the outstanding issues with the two Muslim countries. That should include Kashmir.

Yes, BD should worry about these Indians living in BD. Many of them are RAW agents working and living under different masks. Many of them are working in the ready made garments (RMG) sector. There were many illegal strikes, picketings and pitched battles by these labours. There were fighting with the Ansars.

I have noticed every time this happens, our newspapers, politicians and social leaders suspect foreign agents behind all the criminal acts. RMG sector is very vibrant in BD. This sector is much bigger than India's RMG sector. So, it is possible that RAW is trying to sabotage this sector with the help of their hidden among the RMG labours.

Our Govts. both AL and BNP always blame them on foreign hand,though they do not make it clear which hand.

And workers are not fool to burn down their own workplace.Its always done by outsiders.

However,I won't put a blame on any particular foreign agencies here,for now.As there is no concrete evidence on that yet.There are only motives.
There needs to be proper investigation on these unrests.Otherwise we will never be able to punish those who are behind burning down factories and find out who masterminded them.

Yes, if you found illegal immigrants, you should kick them out, because India is such a poor 3rd world country! How can India bear such a heavy burden. When 500,000 Burmese Rohingyas entered BD, the GoB asked for international burden-sharing. India, being poor, should also ask the same immediately and ask the GoB to take back its citizens, if any. Instead, you people are just crying wolf.

What can you do when the govt of GOB says there are no illegal immigrants?...Eastwatch you have not visited India have you?...forget the border regions,I can find you at least 100 illegals BD nationals in Delhi in a day.Not muslim India bengalis,but self admitted BD nationals.

It is not a question of a poor 3rd world country,India does not need to take care of BD nationals in her territory.If they starve let hem starve. The most important point is the demographic change, same thing happening in the US right now at a faster rate.That cannot be allowed not in the US and not in India.

I as a Assamese fully agree with your suggestion. We shouldn't wait for the government or the BSF to evict these people . Already too much damage has been done. No wonder the politician are just enjoying their votes. IMDT act have to be scrapped.

xenon

I as a Assamese fully agree with your suggestion. We shouldn't wait for the government or the BSF to evict these people . Already too much damage has been done. No wonder the politician are just enjoying their votes. IMDT act have to be scrapped.

xenon

IMDT has already been scrapped by the SC hasn't it?....easy non violent way to send them out.Do an economic boycott and watch then leave on their own.

The Gauhati High Court, in a judgment and order passed on July 25, 2008 observed that "Bangladeshis in Assam have become the kingmakers" and "a strong political will to free Assam from illegal Bangladeshis is the need of the hour coupled with public activism in that direction.

Justice B.K. Sharma, who passed the judgment and order, had observed: "It is no longer a secret or in the domain of 'doubt' that illegal Bangladeshis have intruded every nook and corner of Assam, including forest land. …..Very often, they are protected by extending the protective lands of 'secularism' branding them to be Indian 'minorities' in Assam." The court warned that if this was allowed to continue, "the day is not far off when the indigenous people of Assam, both Hindus and Muslims and other religious groups, will be reduced to minorities in their own land and the Bangladeshis, who are freely and merrily moving around the fertile land of Assam, will intrude upon the corridors of power".

The court order revealed that a Pakistani citizen, Md Kamrauddin, had illegally entered Assam through Bangladesh and contested elections to the Jamunamukh Assembly constituency in 1996. This prompted the police to arrest him and push him back to Bangladesh through the Karimganj sector of the Assam-Bangladesh border.

The court order was grist to the mills of AASU and like-minded organisations that play upon fears that "a Bangladeshi will become Assam's Chief Minister after ten years". It drew people out on the streets in support of a renewed anti-foreigners movement and provoked demands such as a time-bound implementation of the Assam Accord, detection and deportation of illegal Bangladeshi migrants, updating of the National Register of Citizens (NRC), constitutional safeguards for Assamese people, and protection of indigenous people from being overwhelmed by illegal migrants from Bangladesh.

A delayed reaction came from Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi. He hastily announced that his government would bring out a White Paper on the foreigners issue. He said that neither the BJP nor the Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) had done anything to solve the problem.

He promised to make functional police-station-level committees comprising representatives of political parties and other organisations to identify "foreigners" and prevent the harassment of "genuine" citizens. The mechanism involves people assisting the police to identify "foreigners". The Chief Minister had announced the setting up of these committees last year after a bout of rounding up of "suspected Bangladeshis", who were pushed into Assam by neighbouring states of Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland.

Gogoi's admission that foreigners disappear after their cases are referred to the Foreigners Tribunal points to the lacunae in the existing mechanism for detection and deportation. State Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sharma revealed that the government had charge-sheeted 3.92 lakh "foreigners" and referred their cases to the Foreigners Tribunals. He, too, admitted that most of these "foreigners" go missing.

The fear of the Assamese and other ethnic communities of losing their identity and culture and of being reduced to minorities in their own land led to the anti-foreigner agitation spearheaded by AASU during 1979-1985. The fear stems from demographic changes indicated by data collected in successive Censuses.

The Census 2001 language data, recently made public, have thrown up an intriguing picture of demographic changes that took place in Assam over the last decade. The percentage of Assamese speakers in the State was shown to have declined to 48.80 in 2001, down from 57.81 in 1991. On the other hand, the population share of Bengali speakers increased from 21.67 per cent in 1991 to 27.55 in 2001. The Census 2001 data revealed that the Assamese-speaking population grew by only 0.40 per cent, from 1,29,58,088 recorded in 1991 to 1,30,10,478, while the Bengali-speaking population grew by 51.21 per cent, from 48,56,532 in 1991 to 73,43,338, in 2001 against an average population growth of 18.92 per cent in the State.

In seven districts – Barpeta, Darrang, Bongaigaon, Morigaon, Dhemaji, Lakhimpur and Sonitpur – there was a decline in the Assamese-speaking population in absolute numbers, while the Bengali population was seen to have increased. In Morigaon, the Bengali population grew by 226.92 per cent against a 2.64 per cent decline in the Assamese population. In Darrang, the Bengali-speaking population grew by 182.53 per cent, whereas the Assamese population recorded a decline of 2.17 per cent. In Sonitpur district, there was a decline of 27.83 per cent in the Assamese population while the Bengali population grew by 68.50 per cent. In Lakhimpur, the Bengali population grew by 82.33 per cent while the Assamese population recorded a decline of 3 per cent. In Bongaigaon, the Bengali population grew by 56.55 per cent against a 2.17 per cent decline in the Assamese population.

While AASU, the AJYCP, the AGP and the AGP (Pragitsheel) have mounted pressure on the government to drive Bangladeshis out and implement the Assam Accord, influential Muslim organisations such as the Assam State Jamiat Ulema have also voiced support for the accord, sealing of the border and updating of the NRC of 1951 to solve the problem once for all. Jamiat leaders, while acknowledging that there are foreigners in Assam, appealed to Muslim citizens to come forward to identify illegal Bangladeshi immigrants. "The presence of Bangladeshis is causing more harm to Muslims by taking their share of jobs, benefits and other things. So, we, the Muslims, should be more eager to detect and identify the Bangladeshis and drive them out from Assam," Hafiz Bashir Ahmed Qasimi, additional general secretary of the Assam State Jamiat Ulema, said.

IMDT has already been scrapped by the SC hasn't it?....easy non violent way to send them out.Do an economic boycott and watch then leave on their own.

IMDT has been scrapped alright, but do look at my above post on the still persisting lacunas of existing system.

And it is no more a simple problem which can be tackled by mere economic boycott or once in while aggression/ rounding ups. You can not even imagine the scale of the settlements. It is a state within a state and I am pretty sure they will be able to sustain each other even with our economic boycotts. They are no longer in the refuge camps or shanties. Now, its a full fledged settlement (thanks to our politicians who will even sale their mothers for money and power) and they have taken up agriculture, fish cultivation etc in Assam.

Sporadic violence or occasional rounding up of these mosquitos will also not help.

Time will only give us the anti-dote for these parasites. Yes, I agree that we, the indegeneous Assamese, had been too hospitable and tolerant, which had helped agrevating the problem to an un-managable proportion now. But we don't want to be like MNS (Maharastra Nirman Blah Blah) too.

Last edited:
IMDT has been scrapped alright, but do look at my above post on the still persisting lacunas of existing system.

And it is no more a simple problem which can be tackled by mere economic boycott or once in while aggression/ rounding ups. You can not even imagine the scale of the settlements. It is a state within a state and I am pretty sure they will be able to sustain each other even with our economic boycotts. They are no longer in the refuge camps or shanties. Now, its a full fledged settlement (thanks to our politicians who will even sale their mothers for money and power) and they have taken up agriculture, fish cultivation etc in Assam.

Sporadic violence or occasional rounding up of these mosquitos will also not help.

Time will only give us the anti-dote for these parasites. Yes, I agree that we, the indegeneous Assamese, had been too hospitable and tolerant, which had helped agrevating the problem to an un-managable proportion now. But we don't want to be like MNS (Maharastra Nirman Blah Blah) too.

I absolutely agree that the bomb is ticking and we Assamese had been too hospitable. Unless strict laws are formed to evict these people, it will be left to us to do on our own but then we dont condone the MNS activities. But for how long?

The Assamese have to protect yourself in the end...start with asking the govt to reinforce fencing and BSF patrols.What is already there is there atleast prevent more from coming in.

Second enforce an economic boycott and ask your elected govt to aggressively round up the illegal migrants.If difficult to deport to BD ask them to move the migrants to other parts of India so that there is no concentration at one part and they can be spread around.Many things can be done.After all this is your country and your land...don't let it be taken away from you.

Originally Posted by eastwatch

Our Govts. both AL and BNP always blame them on foreign hand,though they do not make it clear which hand.

And workers are not fool to burn down their own workplace.Its always done by outsiders.

However,I won't put a blame on any particular foreign agencies here,for now.As there is no concrete evidence on that yet.There are only motives.
There needs to be proper investigation on these unrests.Otherwise we will never be able to punish those who are behind burning down factories and find out who masterminded them.

FOR NOW??

Live in ur wet dreams FOR NOW and FOREVER.

And eastwatch, your repeated rants of India being a a poor 3rd world country (ike brahmin chantings your forefathers used to do) will not change the real facts overnight. These kind of magic only happens in fairytales. For obvious reasons, I am not reiterating what's these real facts are, the wise one will understand it even without mentioning it.

So if you have actually grown up from fairytale types books, do some real reading and be usefull to this forum and if possible to your own country. May be some part of the wet dream will even come true like a fairytale story (BD becoming the richest country in the entire world).

FOR NOW??

Did I mention any particular intel agency?NO.
So why this gentleman here is getting so hyper??

There is a saying in Bangla,"Chorer mon police police". :lol:

Figure out the meaning.

FOR NOW??

And eastwatch, your repeated rants of India being a a poor 3rd world country (ike brahmin chantings your forefathers used to do) will not change the real facts overnight.

He had been generous. With india one should read one of the poor 3rd world country with more than 500 million poor. Bangladesh also share poor 3rd world title but without the baggage of 500 million poor. No wonder indians looking for any pretext and cooked up labels illegal, migration and what not to get rid of poors and leesen the burden of over 500 million poors.

Back
Top Bottom