What's new

Watch banned film "India's daughter" here!

So they shoved a steel rod up her private parts just because she was out at night with a boy?
Extreme case of female oppression and Male dominance.

I watched the documentary. It is extremely stupid of the govt to ban it.

Apart from the fact that it was banned because it's against the prestige of the country, not against laws, did you see what happend with the woman that filed a case against those rapist in the whatsapp video? The same day that came up, she was threatened and her car was smached. But that's not even surprising in India, where journalists that writes stories against parties or religious groups are in danger anyway, but what's more disturbing is the increased limitation of rights, even if you don't act against the law. FB posts get deleted, because people express their views, visas terminated, Indians that voice protest are restricted in the movements and look at the bans of movies the increased censoring and bans now this ban of the docu. If an Indian female journalists would had done this docu, she would not only be stopped by the government, but also would have to face threats to her life and of her families.
We even see the same with the rape victims, that gets outcast of the society and even their families, because the shame of having even remote relation to her, can make your life difficult in one or the other way.

What do you mean by that?
@sancho sir one can't simply point to one such incident and say this is representative of the entire situaiton, as I have said, NDTV broadcasts many such disturbing documentaries each year with no backlash.

All I am saying is that the Western media has some sort of perverse fixation with sexual crimes in India and it is not out of concern for India's women they do so. They have created a narrative that says India is some hellhole for women and they try very hard to feed this narrative and brish aside anything that would contradict this. The lack of any empircal data to prove India is any less safe for a women to live in than any other devloping (or even devloped) nation seems to be a minor and insiginifant fact to them.

This is blatant tragedy **** and voyeurism for them as far as I am concenred. It is very conveient to point fingers and go "oh look at those savages in a far away place", it is not like the UK is not plagued by appaling sexual scandals at the moment and yet no one has laballed the UK the pedophle capital of the world but India is some how the rape capital of the world??

The sheer lack of balance to their reporting vis a vis India is what angers many- India's MoM mission was met with the same recycled criticism about poverty in India. I have never once seen any postive reporting about India that has not come with at least a paragraph somehow criticising India and its government.

The hypocrisy of the West is addtionally very hard to stomach and angering in itself,the West has elected themselves the moral authority of the worldand they are hardly free of the very same afflictions that one finds in India so why purely highlight it in India? Those in glass houses and so on....

The ONLY way this problem that plagues India will be addressed is by INDIANS in INDIA, does anyone think a BBC documentary is going to change anything? And is India shying away from this? were there not huge protests across India on this matter? Has the Prime Minister of India not talked about this in many speeches including the Independence day speech (groundbreaking in itself)? Has the Prime Minister not launched schemes to improves the situation? It is not like India is doing nothing about this matter and needs the world to come in and patronise them.

What do you mean by that?

The filmakers were duplictious in how they obtained an interview with the rapist and then renaged on their side of the deal (did not present the full uneditied film to the prison authorities and did not repsond to numerous GoI corrospondences ). Part of the agreement was that the film purely be made for social awareness in India and there be no commercial gains made as a result, the fact the BBC has sold the rights to broadcast this film internationally proves they are using this film to profit and go against the understanding.

Always Neuter is a pakistani so ya, you think like them. Congratulations :P

I neither care to defend those lawyer or criticize them, that is your burden and your own special straw man :lol:

Indian society does fine when it comes to women, but like all societies it can always do better. But if YOU do not reform your mindset when it comes to Indian society, then your mental slavery to the west will soon become permanent.

Your poor self esteem will not only make your unpopular, but it will also make you undesirable.

Don't ever quote me your worthless pakistani :sick: .......... shoo. ........... chuta nahi hai.... age bado.
Whether I am a Pakistani or not is not the issue but you behave like a defender of rapists and idiot who has not watched the documentary yet loves to post. A typical idiot who believes in why fart and waste it why not burp and taste it.

I watched the documentary. It is extremely stupid of the govt to ban it.

I agree and I think it will change the Judiciary in India.

Shocking.. The doc is not just about rape and the brutal murder of Jyoti Singh.. Or the propagation of a psychopathic rapist murderer .. It's about the status of women in society

Hope people will watch it without preconceived notions of bias.. Truly a eye opener

:tup:

I watched the documentary.

@Bang Galore @Gibbs

why was this documentary banned again? Yeah it showed a callous attitude towards something as heinous as rape. Especially the lawyers.

But it also showed the young people who protested, both Men and women as caring individuals.

People who will generalise will generalise. But the documentary did not show Indians as rapist. But to me, an anachronistic attitude embodied by Mukesh, and another generation of people who where horrified who held enlightened views.

Vedic wisdom teaches us that if we ignore the problem and pretend that it doesn't exist, then it ceases to exist.

India asks YouTube to remove Delhi rape film| Reuters

(Reuters) - India has asked YouTube to remove all links to a controversial documentary about the gang rape and murder of a woman in Delhi after banning its broadcast, a government official told Reuters on Thursday.

Leslee Udwin's "India's Daughter" features an interview with Mukesh Singh, one of four men sentenced to death for the rape and torture of a 23-year-old woman on a moving bus in December 2012.

Comments released to the media show that Singh blames the victim for the crime. He says that women are more responsible than men for rape.

"We just forwarded the court order and asked them (YouTube) to comply," an official at the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology told Reuters.

It was still possible to view the documentary on websites such as YouTube after British broadcaster BBC aired it outside India on Wednesday.

Singh's comments have caused an uproar on social media and reignited a debate about gender inequality in Asia's third-largest economy.

"We believe that access to information is the foundation of a free society," said a spokeswoman for Google (GOOGL.O), which owns the video sharing site YouTube. "...we continue to remove content that is illegal or violates our community guidelines, once notified."

(Reporting by Aditya Kalra; Editing by Douglas Busvine and Nick Macfie)

Can this Documentary be permissible as evidence in Court? This personal is guilty on the record without any pressure. So the rest of the hearing must only be to reduce the term and NOT to prove the crime. Finish the hearing term and give the verdict.

Whether I am a Pakistani or not is not the issue but you behave like a defender of rapists and idiot who has not watched the documentary yet loves to post. A typical idiot who believes in why fart and waste it why not burp and taste it.

Take a hike you filthy pakistani ..... I do not talk to scums and filth of the earth ......shooo....

Something I posted in another thread:

I woke up on the early morning of 29th December, 2012 at around 4 am. The TV was on, I actually fell asleep while switching between the news channels following our Nirbhaya's story, something I was doing for the last two weeks. The TV was showing a breaking news, that she was no more. My heart sank, I somehow had a very bad feeling since the evening that day, but I was hoping against the inevitable, but it ended with her death. It was like I lost someone very close to me, I am sure many Indians felt the same that day. But the horrific incident did something amazing, it started a series of protests by the common people of India, spontaneous, massive, and an apolitical protest all over India. The protest is still on, it never died, and hopefully it will bring the change we are so desperately looking for in our country.

Then, a couple of months ago I was having some evening snacks at the food stalls near Tollygunge, a large group of foreigners, mostly women, were checking the foods, they approached me to explain the foods to them, while talking to them I found that they were students from foreign universities of different countries like Italy, France, Holland, etc. visiting IIMC on a student exchange program, and they had big plans to travel across India also. I studied in the same institution, so they became comfortable and started asking me many questions about the places to visit, what to see, where to eat, hygiene, etc. etc. and then they asked me about safety, safety of women to be specific. They had very bad impression about India from the media and they were actually very concerned about the 'safety' part of their travel plan. I just told them to follow the safety norms they generally follow in their own countries, and they are likely to be about as safe as they are in their own countries. But I also understood that our vehement protests against crime against women in India has sent very wrong and inaccurate kind of messages about India around the world. We are NOT among the worst countries in the world in this matter, we never were.

In short, while we were doing something very positive with our spirited protests (which is the best thing to happen in a long time), it was largely taken very negatively around the world and caused serious damage to the perception & image of India in the world, and it matters. Every single rape in India finds a prime space in the foreign media, while similar incidents in their own country will never be highlighted, even when their own country might have a more serious situation in this regard. I also suspect that a part of this vile propaganda was out of inferiority or superiority complex (depending upon the countries, like our neighbour or the UK), and some vested interests, I mean there are countries who stand to gain if India's image goes down, it has its political and economic implications. Here we are cleaning our house with our windows open, and some people are pointing fingers at us and saying; 'hey look, how dirty they are'.

This realization has made many of us (including me) and the government defensive, we need the protests and social reforms to go on within our country, we certainly do, but probably we also need to find a balance somewhere, like the way we sometimes scold our children for their own good, but would not want just anybody to come and scold them or make fun of them. Maybe we need some control on the current situation, maybe we need to put curtains over the windows while cleaning our house. Just my opinion.

You got this on the wrong end of the stick my friend. India really is in very serious trouble here. I agree, America, where high school football athletes who repeatedly had their way with a drunk and doped girl, even taking her to multiple locations while the townsfolk actually defended the accused is no big moral compass. But India is a country where this is a problem and we should keep our mind focused around it. We're better of addressing the issue and fixing it rather than saying 'we are just about as bad as others'. Others don't count in this.

You got this on the wrong end of the stick my friend. India really is in very serious trouble here. I agree, America, where high school football athletes who repeatedly had their way with a drunk and doped girl, even taking her to multiple locations while the townsfolk actually defended the accused is no big moral compass. But India is a country where this is a problem and we should keep our mind focused around it. We're better of addressing the issue and fixing it rather than saying 'we are just about as bad as others'. Others don't count in this.

Its you who has the wrong end of the stick.

Kindly prove how India is NOT addressing the issue and fixing it and saying 'we are just about as bad as others'. ???

@sancho sir one can't simply point to one such incident and say this is representative of the entire situaiton, as I have said, NDTV broadcasts many such disturbing documentaries each year with no backlash.

All I am saying is that the Western media has some sort of perverse fixation with sexual crimes in India and it is not out of concern for India's women they do so. They have created a narrative that says India is some hellhole for women and they try very hard to feed this narrative and brish aside anything that would contradict this. The lack of any empircal data to prove India is any less safe for a women to live in than any other devloping (or even devloped) nation seems to be a minor and insiginifant fact to them.

I agree that there are problems there too- several instances can be pointed out across America and Europe. But that beats the point. There are times when you don't compare yourself with 'narratives' and 'image' and how bad some people are in comparison to us and so on. Like how the Japanese would do, focus and fix. The image will follow on it's own.

Its you who has the wrong end of the stick.

Kindly prove how India is NOT addressing the issue and fixing it and saying 'we are just about as bad as others'. ???

Shoo........

Can this Documentary be permissible as evidence in Court? This personal is guilty on the record without any pressure. So the rest of the hearing must only be to reduce the term and NOT to prove the crime. Finish the hearing term and give the verdict.

The court looks at the proceedings of the trial court. Unless new evidence is sought to be allowed. this has no direct bearing on the SC decision which is likely to confirm the Trial & high court decisions. However this documentary will almost certainly guarantee that the government will not look at any claim of a presidential pardon in a positive manner (not much chance even otherwise that it would), the guy has pretty much guaranteed a noose around his & his co-accused's necks.

Last edited:
I agree that there are problems there too- several instances can be pointed out across America and Europe. But that beats the point. There are times when you don't compare yourself with 'narratives' and 'image' and how bad some people are in comparison to us and so on. Like how the Japanese would do, focus and fix. The image will follow on it's own.

Shoo........

Strange how that logic does not work when it comes to banning beef. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom