What's new

Watch banned film "India's daughter" here!

Delhi rape documentary-maker appeals to Narendra Modi over broadcast ban | World news | The Guardian

.....In her appeal on Wednesday, Udwin said: “India should be embracing this film – not blocking it with a kneejerk hysteria without even seeing it. This was an opportunity for India to continue to show the world how much has changed since this heinous crime. :cheesy: Sadly … the banning of the film will see India isolated in the eyes of the world. It’s a counterproductive move.”

The BBC will broadcast Storyville – India’s Daughter, in the UK on BBC4. The documentary has the backing of a number other public service broadcasters; however, the BBC is only responsible for transmission of the film in the UK.”

The film is also due to be broadcast in Denmark, Sweden, Switzerland, Norway and Canada..

The film will also launch a worldwide campaign against sexual violence and gender inequality........

It will be show in all the countries where Rape do not happen :coffee:

I have some personal opinion.

First the film has been made and shown on BBC. Jo ho gaya so ho gaya!! Yeh gali (accusations) chalta rahega. I also want some portion of the movie(edited) to be show to public. The parents of the girl are also equally right as to how the law is taking unnecessary long time to be delivered. They must be having many sleepless nights over the outcome of the judgment.

Secondly the Govt. is also right from legal point of view. No one can interview a such a dastardly heinous convict, let alone make a complete documentary movie. The movie must have taken a lot of time to make under the very nose of the Law enforcement agencies.

BBC also showed its arrogant and adamant nature. Heavens would not have fallen if the film were not shown for a couple of weeks and with sufficient explanation to the Govt. or after showing it to the Govt. Now what should the Govt. do in such a case?

1. Ask judiciary to expedite the case by putting it through fast track and deliver the judgement within a or two months.

2. Find out who gave the permission and who allowed him into the jail. Monetary consideration cannot be ruled out.

3. Even if the former Govt. has given the permission, find out if any condition has been violated.

4. If the conditions are violated then take the journalist to court. (I am sure as long as the case will be there, she will not come to India again).

5. Debar the defending Lawyers from further practice.

6. Make a systematic campaign in every media as to make aware people against rapes (like swwach abhiyan) including education.

7. Make a documentary on Rotherham Sex scam by some independent film maker and show it to the world and also mention in it what is the rank of India in number of rapes across the world and with number of convicts. Ask the Indian Journalist to ask British authorities for interview with Rotherham convicts to see if they give permission!!

And lastly make a documentary of Missionary sects in India and about their activities. I have always suspected their activities in this also.

Anyway this movie should give the Parents of Nirbhaya a quick and just judgement. That's all I can say!!

@Bang Galore

Watched it now, listening to the details of the attack and the act, was even more horrific than it was back then. Can't imagine what her parents must go through, whenever they hear about it.

But I agree, when I heared about the docu and saw some parts of it, that the media showed, I had a more negative impression of the docu, but after seeing it, I agree, it's basically only the lawyers and the offenders part, that actually cause all the rage with their statements. The wife and family of the offender also speak on his behalf, but in a less offending manner and maybe even understandable from their point of view.

And although I felt it was wrong to give the offender and his lawyers this platform to present themselfs, which caused the outrage, I now feel that it's good that their sides (as silly they might be) are shown too, since the rest of the docu is gives a pretty broad perspective to the case. They actually included all possible sides, families of both sides, police, judges, doctors that were involved in the case...and thankfully not too many of the political statements, that we have seen around the case. So without the lawyers and the offender, they would had missed an important part and the docu would be too one sided.

Apart from these statements there is nothing that would degrade India, that wouldn't be known anyway, poverty, the fact that girls or woman have less value, the fact that abortions often take place to get rid of girls... and they don't even went to the dowry issue or other problems, which they could easily had included too.

One important point of the docu that is good is, that it's not moderated by the author to show her view or how she sees things, but that it's basically Indians only that represent their views on the case and as said from various different point of views. To get the view that this is a conspiracy to degrade India is just total nonsense, but it's not the first time that the government had stated these "conspiracy theories" to justify their actions and the difference of what they say about bans not being possible anymore and what they do is obvious.

But as I said before, the government basically pushed the docu way more with this ban, in Europe only very few non Indians might had watched it, it surely wouldn't had been shown on TV channels on prime time and not even the media would had made a big issue about it. So if this issue gets a bad taste abroad, it's because of the ban and by far not because of what was shown in the docu.

I wasn't referring to PDF, I was saying generally. As Indians we should not be concerned about what others are 'saying' and be more concerned about what 'is' as a situation.
Something I posted in another thread:

I woke up on the early morning of 29th December, 2012 at around 4 am. The TV was on, I actually fell asleep while switching between the news channels following our Nirbhaya's story, something I was doing for the last two weeks. The TV was showing a breaking news, that she was no more. My heart sank, I somehow had a very bad feeling since the evening that day, but I was hoping against the inevitable, but it ended with her death. It was like I lost someone very close to me, I am sure many Indians felt the same that day. But the horrific incident did something amazing, it started a series of protests by the common people of India, spontaneous, massive, and an apolitical protest all over India. The protest is still on, it never died, and hopefully it will bring the change we are so desperately looking for in our country.

Then, a couple of months ago I was having some evening snacks at the food stalls near Tollygunge, a large group of foreigners, mostly women, were checking the foods, they approached me to explain the foods to them, while talking to them I found that they were students from foreign universities of different countries like Italy, France, Holland, etc. visiting IIMC on a student exchange program, and they had big plans to travel across India also. I studied in the same institution, so they became comfortable and started asking me many questions about the places to visit, what to see, where to eat, hygiene, etc. etc. and then they asked me about safety, safety of women to be specific. They had very bad impression about India from the media and they were actually very concerned about the 'safety' part of their travel plan. I just told them to follow the safety norms they generally follow in their own countries, and they are likely to be about as safe as they are in their own countries. But I also understood that our vehement protests against crime against women in India has sent very wrong and inaccurate kind of messages about India around the world. We are NOT among the worst countries in the world in this matter, we never were.

In short, while we were doing something very positive with our spirited protests (which is the best thing to happen in a long time), it was largely taken very negatively around the world and caused serious damage to the perception & image of India in the world, and it matters. Every single rape in India finds a prime space in the foreign media, while similar incidents in their own country will never be highlighted, even when their own country might have a more serious situation in this regard. I also suspect that a part of this vile propaganda was out of inferiority or superiority complex (depending upon the countries, like our neighbour or the UK), and some vested interests, I mean there are countries who stand to gain if India's image goes down, it has its political and economic implications. Here we are cleaning our house with our windows open, and some people are pointing fingers at us and saying; 'hey look, how dirty they are'.

This realization has made many of us (including me) and the government defensive, we need the protests and social reforms to go on within our country, we certainly do, but probably we also need to find a balance somewhere, like the way we sometimes scold our children for their own good, but would not want just anybody to come and scold them or make fun of them. Maybe we need some control on the current situation, maybe we need to put curtains over the windows while cleaning our house. Just my opinion.

Something I posted in another thread:

I woke up on the early morning of 29th December, 2012 at around 4 am. The TV was on, I actually fell asleep while switching between the news channels following our Nirbhaya's story, something I was doing for the last two weeks. The TV was showing a breaking news, that she was no more. My heart sank, I somehow had a very bad feeling since the evening that day, but I was hoping against the inevitable, but it ended with her death. It was like I lost someone very close to me, I am sure many Indians felt the same that day. But the horrific incident did something amazing, it started a series of protests by the common people of India, spontaneous, massive, and an apolitical protest all over India. The protest is still on, it never died, and hopefully it will bring the change we are so desperately looking for in our country.

Then, a couple of months ago I was having some evening snacks at the food stalls near Tollygunge, a large group of foreigners, mostly women, were checking the foods, they approached me to explain the foods to them, while talking to them I found that they were students from foreign universities of different countries like Italy, France, Holland, etc. visiting IIMC on a student exchange program, and they had big plans to travel across India also. I studied in the same institution, so they became comfortable and started asking me many questions about the places to visit, what to see, where to eat, hygiene, etc. etc. and then they asked me about safety, safety of women to be specific. They had very bad impression about India from the media and they were actually very concerned about the 'safety' part of their travel plan. I just told them to follow the safety norms they generally follow in their own countries, and they are likely to be about as safe as they are in their own countries. But I also understood that our vehement protests against crime against women in India has sent very wrong and inaccurate kind of messages about India around the world. We are NOT among the worst countries in the world in this matter, we never were.

In short, while we were doing something very positive with our spirited protests (which is the best thing to happen in a long time), it was largely taken very negatively around the world and caused serious damage to the perception & image of India in the world, and it matters. Every single rape in India finds a prime space in the foreign media, while similar incidents in their own country will never be highlighted, even when their own country might have a more serious situation in this regard. I also suspect that a part of this vile propaganda was out of inferiority or superiority complex (depending upon the countries, like our neighbour or the UK), and some vested interests, I mean there are countries who stand to gain if India's image goes down, it has its political and economic implications. Here we are cleaning our house with our windows open, and some people are pointing fingers at us and saying; 'hey look, how dirty they are'.

This realization has made many of us (including me) and the government defensive, we need the protests and social reforms to go on within our country, we certainly do, but probably we also need to find a balance somewhere, like the way we sometimes scold our children for their own good, but would not want just anybody to come and scold them or make fun of them. Maybe we need some control on the current situation, maybe we need to put curtains over the windows while cleaning our house. Just my opinion.
You do know that you are speaking a lot of sense to an anti Indian. :D
The guy is a 'Left of the Center' and has a problem with a budget if its 'populist'.

The piece is nice though. :)

The parents of the girl are also equally right as to how the law is taking unnecessary long time to be delivered. They must be having many sleepless nights over the outcome of the judgment.

The part where the mother asked, why the one offender was convicted as a juvenile because he was below 18 when it happend, although Indian law says you can marry even at lower age was spot on! Just 3 years for such a crime, is simply a slap in the face of the parents and far away from justice. He doesn't deserve a normal life again!

Debar the defending Lawyers from further practice.

I say send those two to gallows before the convicts.

At least we should book that second fellow for hate speech, he said he would have burnt his daughter with petrol in front of his entire family.

Make a documentary on Rotherham Sex scam by some independent film maker and show it to the world and also mention in it what is the rank of India in number of rapes across the world and with number of convicts. Ask the Indian Journalist to ask British authorities for interview with Rotherham convicts to see if they give permission!!

Yeah! :tup:

You do know that you are speaking a lot of sense to an anti Indian. :D
The guy is a 'Left of the Center' and has a problem with a budget if its 'populist'.

The piece is nice though. :)

That part is the core issue about him. :)

@Bang Galore

Watched it now, listening to the details of the attack and the act, was even more horrific than it was back then. Can't imagine what her parents must go through, whenever they hear about it.

But I agree, when I heared about the docu and saw some parts of it, that the media showed, I had a more negative impression of the docu, but after seeing it, I agree, it's basically only the lawyers and the offenders part, that actually cause all the rage with their statements. The wife and family of the offender also speak on his behalf, but in a less offending manner and maybe even understandable from their point of view.

And although I felt it was wrong to give the offender and his lawyers this platform to present themselfs, which caused the outrage, I now feel that it's good that their sides (as silly they might be) are shown too, since the rest of the docu is gives a pretty broad perspective to the case. They actually included all possible sides, families of both sides, police, judges, doctors that were involved in the case...and thankfully not too many of the political statements, that we have seen around the case. So without the lawyers and the offender, they would had missed an important part and the docu would be too one sided.

Apart from these statements there is nothing that would degrade India, that wouldn't be known anyway, poverty, the fact that girls or woman have less value, the fact that abortions often take place to get rid of girls... and they don't even went to the dowry issue or other problems, which they could easily had included too.

One important point of the docu that is good is, that it's not moderated by the author to show her view or how she sees things, but that it's basically Indians only that represent their views on the case and as said from various different point of views. To get the view that this is a conspiracy to degrade India is just total nonsense, but it's not the first time that the government had stated these "conspiracy theories" to justify their actions and the difference of what they say about bans not being possible anymore and what they do is obvious.

But as I said before, the government basically pushed the docu way more with this ban, in Europe only very few non Indians might had watched it, it surely wouldn't had been shown on TV channels on prime time and not even the media would had made a big issue about it. So if this issue gets a bad taste abroad, it's because of the ban and by far not because of what was shown in the docu.

Wow mate.. In a forum that majority just seem to hyper ventilate on jingoism and total denial and assumptions of victim hood of global conspiracy.. Totally ignoring the human story behind that documentary, Of the victim her family, The perpetrators and their families the downtrodden society they live in, The politicians lawyers, The robustness of Indian civil society, The urge of the middle classes to break these age old discrimination.. And most of all the status of womenhood not just in India but world wide

Posts like yours is truly refreshing.. If i have the ability to rate you and the likes of @Bang Galore i would, Several times.. Kudos.. :tup:

marketing ke chakker mein mazak bana diya hai rape jesi ghinoni samasya ko.

My prayers to all the victims of rape. What a horrible crime.

If I had my way I'd kill each and every one of these beasts.
Thats the easiest way out and an unethical one too. Democracies dont take henious steps just coz the crime was henious.

Real quality is when you deliver without stooping to the level of such beasts. Its tough. Even looks immpossible. But thats where our perserverence comes into show.

BBC cleverly favored bhartis, by hiding the underlying social issue of girl foeticide.
Now this darma to cover the evil alliance.

Back
Top Bottom