What's new

Was the Kushan emperor Kanishka a Turk?

Charon 2

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
So I'm officially confused know. Please read this

Kanishka (Kanishka the Great), (Sanskrit: कनिष्क, Bactrian language: Κανηϸκι, Middle Chinese: 迦腻色伽 (Ka-ni-sak-ka > New Chinese: Jianisejia)) was a Turushka (or Turko-Tatar) emperor[1] of the Kushan dynasty (127–151) who ruled an empire extending fromTurfan in the Tarim Basin to Pataliputra on the Gangetic plain and famous for his military, political, and spiritual achievements. His main capital was at Purushpura (Peshawar in present-day Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan) with regional capitals at the location of present-day Bagram in Afghanistan and Mathura in India.

Kanishka was a Kushan of probable Yuezhi ethnicity. He used an Eastern Iranian, Indo-European language known as Bactrian (called "αρια," i. e. "Aryan" in the Rabatak inscription), which appears in Greek script in his inscriptions, though it is not certain what language the Kushans originally spoke; possibly some form of Tocharian – a "centum" Indo-European language. The "Aryan" language of the inscription was a "satem" Middle Iranian language,[2] possibly the one spoken in "Arya" or "Ariana" (the region around modern Herat) and was, therefore, quite possibly unrelated to the original language of the Kushans (or the Yuezhi), but adopted by them to facilitate communication with local people.

Source:
  1. "KANISHKA" in the Encyclopædia Indica. Retrieved 9 March 2007: "“Hushka, Jushka, Kanishka.” These are the names recorded in the Raja Tarangini of three great Turushka, that is Turk or Tatar, kings, who were of the Buddhist religion." (see also: "A Classical Dictionary of Hindu Mythology and Religion, Geography, History and Literature]" by John Dowson. D. K. Printworld Ltd., New Delhi, India, 2005. page 148.)

The Turushka (Sanskrit: तुरुष्क turuṣka; also Turuška, Turushaka, Turuksha, Tushkara or Turukha) were the people ofTurkistan. In Sanskrit and Persian sources they are known as the Indo-Scythians[1] or Turks,[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10] who, underKanishka and other kings of the people, held Northern India.[1] Generally, Turushka, a Sanskritized form of Turk,[11] is used as an ethnic term for people from central Asia.[12] The Tamil word Tulukkan, denoting "Muslim", is in correspondence withSanskrit Turushka.[13] Sanskrit Turushka can also denote for Turan or Turkistan.[14]

Identity and history

The Turkish Shahi rulers (Kābulshāhs or 'Turk-Shāhi') of north-west India, who were identified as 'Turks' in the Arab conquest literature,[15] claimed Kushana ancestry, a circumstance which would suggest that they could be seen as representing a certain historical continuity linked to central Asia.[12] In the chronicle of Kashmir, also known as Rājataraṃgiṇī, there are recorded three Kushan king names, Hushka, Jushka and Kanishka, which were members of the Turkic Turushka tribe.[16][17]In Kashmir we do hear about Turks and Turushkas until the period of the Ghaznavids in the 11th and 12th centuries.[15]Kalhana, the author of Rajatarangini, comments on certain Mleccha customs that the kings of Kashmir allegedly adopted from the Turks, such as the iconoclasm of 'Harsharājaturushka' and the keeping of excessively large seraglios of women.[15]The Turkish Shāhi dynasty continued up to the late 9th century, when it was replaced by Brahman dynasty of the same title. Names of apparent Turkish origin, such as Toramāna, survived even among these Hindu 'Shāhi' king.[18] 'The Turushkas', states the Pṛthivirāja-vijaya (S. VI), 'came across the desert (marusthali); by the time they reached the Cāhamāna dominions they were so thirsty that according to Jonarāja they had to drink the blood of their horses'.[19] It is also supposed that many Turushka horsemen in the army of Deva Raya II were possibly of Turkic origin.[20] There are three main conditions supporting the Turkic identity of the Turushkas:[21]

1. the rulers of the Kushana were called "Turushka".
  2. various Turkic tribes are referred to as "Turushka".
  3. the dress of the Turushka resembles to that of the Göktürks.
Hence, it is supposed that among the Kushana, the ruling tribes are believed to be mainly of Turkic stock, closely related to the ruling caste of the Turkic Kengeres tribes.[21][22]

In a 13th-century Sanskrit text, it is mentioned that Turushka (Turkic) costumes tended to cover the body from the neck to the feet.[23] In addition, the Persian historian Al-Biruni reports that Kanishka, a descendant of the Turk family called "Shahiya", was dressed in Turkish manner, a short tunic open in front, a high hat, boots and arms.[24] The physical traits of the Turushka Kushana depicted on coins may reflect Turkic or Mongoloid origins (see Turanid race).[25] It is also mentioned inHemachandra's Abithana Chintamani (959) that the Turks were also called Sakhas: "Turushkas tu Sakhayah syuh".[5][26]

A Kushan Tamga also seems to be connected with that of a Göktürk tribe called «Ta-A-she-tê» by the Chinese.[27]

Name

The original form of Turukha or Turuška is most likely traceable to the Turkic-Altaic ethnonym Türk or Türük.[28][29][30]Turushka can also serve for the designation of the Kushana or Indo-Scythians.[31] J. Marquardt, Zeki V. Togan and Berthold Laufer postulate the same Turkic etymology.[31][32][33] The name "Turuška" also occurs in Ancient Egypt around 1400 BC.[34]

So the Budhhist Kabul Shahis who defended South Asia from the Muslim invasions of Saffarids and Ghaznavids were actually Turks and not Indo-Europeans? Why are Turks called Sakhas? I thought that Sakas were an Eastern Iranian people?

Last edited:
Turkic migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Turkic migration as defined in this article was the expansion of the Turkic peoples across most of Central Asia into Europe and the Middle East between the 6th and 11th centuries AD (the Early Middle Ages). Their prehistoric point of origin was the hypothetical Proto-Turkic region of the Far East including North China and Inner Mongolia.

-------------------------

So , i was actually right yesterday , it happened between 6th century and the 11th

This map i think

1af995207ec9bc0093eec5532ad640a1.jpg

Somewhat shows where the turkic people bordered the scythians , before the turkic migration into scythia and beyond

He was a pashtun,a ancient pashtun following either a unknown local religion or buddhism

@Charon 2 No they were descendants of the Sakas (Hindu Shahis). As for Kanishka his clan was originally from Xinjiang and from what I know about the area Turks came around later so he could not have been a Turk.

@Charon 2 No they were descendants of the Sakas (Hindu Shahis). As for Kanishka his clan was originally from Xinjiang and from what I know about the area Turks came around later so he could not have been a Turk.
Well maybe his tribe was related to the Gokturks as we all know that they came from the same region.So in a sense it's quite possible that Kanishka was a predecessor of the modern day Turks although there is no definitive proof to support this theory..:coffee:

Whatever they were they were Hindu brethren....haha....who cares....all these mix of ppl only made our women gorgeous...thank you...

What?

Its me or last pic of Kushan make him look like mongloid?

I said whoever they were, The Kushan and such groups all over greater India were all HINDU Brothers. The Mughals were of Mongol stock whose blood became diluted the longer they stayed in India........in the end INDIA ALWAYS WINS>.

I said whoever they were, The Kushan and such groups all over greater India were all HINDU Brothers. The Mughals were of Mongol stock whose blood became diluted the longer they stayed in India........in the end INDIA ALWAYS WINS>.

Not all of them were "Hindus" very few were. They had Greek, Persian, etc. gods along with few Hindu ones and revered Buddhism later on. They were secular in nature.

That's true. The Mughals became totally assimilated into the Indo-Persian society. If we look at the history of India Turkic peoples were just like other invaders like Hunas, Sakas, Kushans, Tocharians, Hepthalites... They all got assimilated by the Indian culture. Pashtuns are the only group who could establish a succesful base in India and who didn't get assimilated by Indians

Back
Top Bottom